News:

Welcome to the JohnFromCincinnati.net & johnfromcincinnati.net forum.  An extraordinary show brought us together... Extraordinary people keep us coming back.

Main Menu

Hit Or Miss II

Started by Sven2, August 11, 2010, 08:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skordamou

I am here looking for some hints for finding good movies, just reinstated my Netflix. Just watched the past 2 seasons of "Dexter", and then the 2 "Girl..." movies, waiting for the third, out Jan. 25. I'm watching "Moon" now, just took a break. Here is my queue so far, I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

Adaptation       

The Ghost Writer       

Knowing       

A Single Man       

Wallander: Series 2: Disc 1       

Wallander: Series 2: Disc 2                

The Secret in Their Eyes       

Solitary Man    1/6/11    

Chloe       

Wild Grass       

Dinner for Schmucks       

Howl

Salt

Sven2

Merril Streep, eh, Skor? She surely is a queen! :-*

Anyways, I'm checking my Netflix queue and adding to your list some movies I liked, in no particular order and without comments, or it would take too long, OK?

Recently watched streaming The Pillars of the Earth with Ian McShane, a medieval soap/romance/ where some anachronisms (people applauding in the church) didn't make it bad. British serials "Wire in the Blood", and "Red Riding Trilogy", too depressing for me. A few days ago killed some time - please, don't laugh - on Prison Break. Yep, the first season was very entertaining, with lots of twists and the palpable tension. A variation on The Count of Monte Cristo. My boys WERE laughing at me, of course!

Women in Trouble 2009
Scorched 2002
Sunshine Cleaning 2008
Choke 2008
Cashback 2007
The Cooler 2003
Frozen River
Croupier
Bernard and Doris 2007
The Duchess
The Boys are Back 2009
Dangerous Beauty
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada 2005
Kinsey
Snow Cake 2006
The Secret Life of Words 2006
Perfume, The Story of a Murderer 2006

Hope you'll like at  least some!

Here's the link to the blog that I follow, somewhere there's a list of best movies of the decade, etc. The guy's taste is not flawless, but the selection is informative and could help you.
http://kolson-kevinsblog.blogspot.com/

Do no harm

Sven2

For the impatient souls who are still waiting in queue at a library their turn to read the last of "The Girl Who" trilogy, I'd recommend a somewhat replacement, "Between Summer's Longing and Winter's End" by Leif Persson. It's in part a satire and in part a fictional criminal investigation of Olaf Palme assassination. I got through the first hundred pages, so far it's good.
Do no harm

OceanFlower

hello everyone i was fortunate enough to have access to a dvd version of the new True Grit wow! Jeff does it again! and the little girl is the Jodie Foster of the 21st century for sure--up in the Big Apple wow so much snow! Love You all! Shaka!  :-*
OceanFlower

Sven2

Flower, shame on you! - got everyone worried to death, that's not what friends do to friends.

True Grit on DVD? Must be a pirate DVD, I swear it's made on Brighton Beach, check the label! Good movie, I agree. What I remember vividly, though, it's the scene at the funeral home, where the 14 years old speaks with the wisdom of old age - "The soul has flown". And at the end, the  stark night sky with hundreds stars and the silhouette of the feverishly running horse. It's taken the story to another dimension for me.

Although, being a practical New Englander, I wonder, why Rooster Cogburn didn't take another horse , for a relay, from the ones that were left after the gunfight, just standing there, next to the dead? Would that slow them down? But then, it's logic against art.

Ahem , Flower, what's in the Big Apple - Jodie Foster, tons of snow, or, that I suspect - you? Kinda, sorta unclear..... :D
Hope you've found what you were waiting for.  

Happy to know that you are OK. Love.
Do no harm

skordamou

Thanks for the suggestions and links, Sven. I am spending much of my winter cozied up and it's good to have some movies to watch. Flower, is that really you? Haven't heard from you in a long time, glad to know all is OK.

OceanFlower

Sven! not a bootleg an advance copy -- ain't it nice when you have friends in high places? they also had a copy of Black Swan but i just missed it as they had to return it! drat!

Suzie sent you a private msg here !!

the Ocean Flower was at the ocean yesterday! yeah it was cold but man when you don't see the Ocean for awhile it was magnificent!  ;D
OceanFlower

OceanFlower

forgot to mention: THE NEW YORK JETS humble Tom Brady yeah like that suh-wheat! see y'all at the Super Bowl!
OceanFlower

cassie

I will see you on the next wave in...I'm off to watch the opening sequence of Day 9 again for the umpteenth time! I will get weepy and get goosebumps again when I imagine surfing down from Cincinnati, into the clouds, onto the water, dressed in really cool camo, and hitting the water doing aerials and such...to the incredible music and lyrics of the poet Bob Dylan. JFC is really a Series of Dreams.

cassie

i guess if your lonely you could stick your head in a washer.....
Original MayTag Repairman TV Commercial

Sven2

The new season of 'Justified' starts on Wednesday, 10 on FX. There is one more series there, 'Lights Out' that could be interesting. 

The Sundance festival has its winners, if someone wants, here's the link:http://www.imdb.com/features/sundance/2011/blog/
I picked few movies from the list, will wait when Netflix makes them available, as I don't expect our local distributors to show anything that's not a mainstream Hollywood.

I wonder, Flower, where are you - asleep in a subway car in NYC, maybe?

Zippy, any new poems you've found? Do you read Bukowski prose as well, what do you think about it?

Waxon, looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time no see. Not good to forget the old friends, how's winter in your state? Not much snow, I hope.

Patrick, you're around, it's good, how's Newbury street and the wharfs in winter, beautiful, isn't it?

Skor, speak up, you've got a lot to say.

Cassie, come back, please. 
Do no harm

cassie

Eccles

Quote from: Sven2 on February 04, 2011, 01:31:44 AM
The new season of 'Justified' starts on Wednesday, 10 on FX. 

'Justified' is one of my favorite shows. It is written by Elmore Leonard fans while Leonard himself, the central character's creator, remains an Executive Producer. So I enjoy the writing. I also like seeing Olyphant wearing the hat and badge again.

(Sheriff Seth Bullock was defeated by Harry Manning in his reelection bid as Sheriff of Deadwood but went on to become a United States Marshal. It was therefore a lot of fun in 'Justified' watching Brent Sexton, who played Harry Manning, playing a sheriff alongside Olyphant playing a marshal.)

In Episode 6 of 'Justified' (The Collection), Peter Jason, who played a "car dealer" in 'JFC', plays a character whose death leads Olyphant to visit Cincinnati. So there's that.

I think the 'Justified' Season One Finale is one of the most enjoyable and moving episodes of anything I've seen on TV in recent years. I'm looking forward to Season Two. By the way, the creator/writer/executive producer of the series is named Yost. So there's that too.

skordamou

Sold!!!
Three disks of "Justified" now at the top of my queue.

cassie

;) All three sold to the blonde- ::)-sitting at table 11.... eating oyster's.......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk