News:

Visit the main JohnFromCincinnati.net site for archived material and more ;)

Main Menu

In the Language of Music

Started by Jimmy Two Nutz, December 08, 2007, 12:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sven2

Do no harm

Sven2

Do no harm

OceanFlower

Jimi Hendrix - The Star Spangled Banner (Woodstock '69)

I once read an interview w/ Jimi when he was asked where he got his "sound". He was of course a paratrooper with the Screaming Eagles for a short time and he replied that the sound he was trying to replicate was the wind whistling thru his ears when he jumped out of a plane.

Interview with Jimi Hendrix on Star-Spangled Banner

Going along with that Yoko Ono once said that the sound she was trying to achieve in her music was the sound of falling bombs from the American air force over Japan during WW2.

Woodstock 41 years ago August 15, 1969.

"The '60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great."
Abbie Hoffman.

Let me say to you, Right On!
OceanFlower

zippyfan

Methinks Hendrix might have liked the guitar work in this 90's tune...

Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend

Sven2

Zippy, I learned about "Black Keys" from you, thanks, I like the band.
Here's one of the covers to their "All You Ever Wanted", I was saving it for a scene for Further Days but, alas! writing it feels more and more impossible as days go by. I like the different tempo than the original.

ROBOTANISTS: All You Ever Wanted (by the Black Keys)
Do no harm

Sven2

Zippy, I think  I played the song 20 times already. Thanks, love your choices.
Do no harm

Sven2

Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

Rhapsody In Blue - King of Jazz - Paul Whiteman - George Gershwin

Here's an abridged version of the George Gershwin masterpiece composed for Paul Whiteman in 1924, from this 1930 2-strip Technicolor revue film.

"The segment opens with a completely unrelated "Voodoo Dance" from Africa (?), followed by the opening clarinet solo danced by Jacques Cartier, and then Roy Bargy playing the piano solo.

"Danced by Russell Markert Girls and Sisters G.

"King of Jazz" was the first motion picture to use a pre-recorded soundtrack made independently of the actual filming. Whiteman insisted that the entire soundtrack be pre-recorded in order to obtain the best sound, avoiding the poor recording conditions and extraneous noises found in a movie studio. Universal opposed the idea, but Whiteman insisted and prevailed over the reluctant studio executives. After the sound was recorded, the scene was filmed. Later, the film was synchronized to the soundtrack. This allowed the movie to be directed in the same manner as a silent film, with resulting sounds not affecting the completed film.
Work here, Cass.

zippyfan

Hey Sven...Love that BOH song too! Think I'm gonna get the album. Heard this one today and was reminded how much I loved it when it first came out.

Death Cab for Cutie - Soul Meets Body

SaveJFC Admin

Work here, Cass.

zippyfan

Just catching up on evryone's posts and was reading Sven's Angel poem.
I have been hearing this song a lot lately and was thinking that Robert Plant (or whoever wrote it) must have been inspired by Michaelangelo or at the very least those cute little cherub statues. This song sounds (to me) like it could have been a track on Zeppelin 3.

Robert Plant - Angel Dance [Official]

Sven2

Zippy, you always add to my favorites, thanks again.

This one is old, I hear it often on Sirius, in the car.
Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars
Do no harm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk