News:

NEW Media Gallery!  Add your images and then add them to your posts!  Enjoy!

Main Menu

The Further Days of John from Cincinnati, Days 10-17

Started by Sven2, February 26, 2011, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sven2

(Cass pulls up to the emergency room, puts the car in park, and gets out. John follows. They enter the hospital, and quickly spot Dr. Smith, sitting near the entrance, staring blankly off into space.)

Cass: (rushes to him) Dr. Smith...is...is he...

Smith: He's gone.

Cass: Oh my god! (she feels faint) What happened??!

Smith: He simply vanished. Poof. Into thin air.

John: Poof! (John grins) Thin air rings a bell.

Cass:(relieved) You mean...he's not dead?!

Smith: Forgive my ambiguity, Cass. Allow me to elaborate: when they pulled the gurney from the ambulance, it was empty. Barry disappeared.

Cass: (Looks at John) What's going on, John? Do you know where Barry is?

John: My father knows...

Cass: Well...where??

John: My father has Big and Huge for Barry.

Cass: So, Barry is with your father?

John: No, Cass.

Cass: Is he okay?

John: (thinking) I don't know Butchie instead.

Smith: (Stands up, puts his hands on John's shoulder's) Is there some way for us to get in touch with him?

John: Fuckin' hairlip.

Cass: Dwayne? From the Internet Cafe?

John: Live green.

Smith: I'll go see if I can find Dwayne. I'll call you if I have any luck.

Cass: Fine.

(Smith exits the hospital)

(Cass phone rings)

Cass: Hello?

Linc: (On the other end) Hey, are you there? Is Barry gonna make it?

Cass: Actually, he disappeared.

Linc: What?! They don't know where they put him??

Cass: More like, he vanished; like Shaun and John vanished last week. Smith says the ambulance was empty when they opened it.

Linc: Fuck, this shit just gets crazier and crazier. (He pauses for a moment) Hey, ahh, I know this is probably the last thing on your mind, but we've still gotta get everything ready today, for the event on Saturday.

Cass: You mean tomorrow?

Linc: Today is tomorrow. It's like 3 a.m on Friday.

Cass: Oh. I guess you're right.

Linc: Why don't you go home and try to get a few hours sleep before we meet up in the morning?

Cass: Sounds good to me...what time are we meeting and where?

Linc: 9:00 at the pier--actually, let's meet at the Snug Harbor first, and head down there together, okay? And call that Emma woman.

Cass: It's a plan. Talk to you then. (She hangs up)

Linc: Late.

(They hang up simultaneously)

Cass: (to John) I'm gonna go home for a few hours, John. Where should I drop you off?

(John shrugs):

Cass: I guess that means you're coming with me.

John: I'm coming with you, Cass. I'll make you see God.

Cass: As tempting as that sounds, John, I'll pass.

John: Your pussy feels like a blast furnace.

Cass: How do you know?

John: My father tells me.

Cass: Yeah? Well, tell your father to keep that shit to himself.

(John follows Cass outside. They get in her car and drive to her hotel)

--Walkara

--------------------------

(Butchie and Kai lay in bed in each other's arms, naked and wide awake)

Playing in the background

Butchie: Sorry for bein' an asshole earlier.

Kai: I know. (She puts a hand on his face and brushes hair behind his ear) It's cool: you were scared.

Butchie: I wasn't fuckin' scared. I was just, you know, On Alert.

Kai: Whatever you wanna call it...

Butchie: (He kisses her shoulder) How 'bout we "call it a night"?

Kai: Again?? Already?

Butchie: (Looks down at his erect member) I'm ready if you are.

Kai: (Smiling, she takes him in her hand, stroking, and kisses his lips) Your move.

Butchie: Oh yeah? (climbs on top of her, kisses her) Here comes the beast. (He growls, flirtatiously)

Kai: (giggling) Hopefully he doesn't come too fast.

Butchie: No fuckin' worries there...the Beast is gonna make you scream.

Kai: Promise?

Butchie: (Thrusts) Whadda you think?

(Butchie and Kai have passionate, wild sex, temporarily forgetting about the shooting. They take their time, savoring each other's flesh with tenderness and urgency.)

--Walkara

---------------------------

(Bill Jacks pulls into his driveway, turns off the truck, but doesn't get out. Instead he sighs, and throws his head back against the seat. Caged in the passenger's seat, Zippy inquires whether they're going inside the house.)

Bill: In a minute, Zip. (He scratches the back of his head) I'm goddam beat, I tell ya. Whoever the fuck wanted the homo dead, wasn't playin' around, my friend. That was a sloppy fuckin' head-shot--thank God. It's a sick, twisted world. There's no gettin' around it.

(Zippy comments on the struggle between good and evil, the duality it kindles in sentient beings, and the choices made in response)

Bill: The world needs the fear of God put back into it. I don't know how the hell 'I-got-my-eye-on-you' figures into all this, but you can bet he does. However well-connected that boy is, he's still a goddam liability! Word gets out about him and we're all ass-fucked.

(Zippy affirms his complete faith in John)

Bill: What the fuck has he done to win your goddam allegiance, Zippy? I've been shoveling your shit for years!--all right, so he brought the boy back safely--'course he was the asshole that absconded with Shaun to begin with! Now I'm not saying he's all bad news, just that we've gotta be mighty fuckin' careful--keep our eyes on him, make sure he walks the line instead of drawing crowds.

(Zippy concedes Bill's point)

Bill: I've almost got more bullshit on my plate than I can handle! ...Still, it's better than wandering the goddam halls in my underwear all afternoon, hopin' the kid stops by for a visit. I'm supposed to figure out the zoning for the event tomorrow; I need to track down that loony Hawaiian and his cheerleader-goon that chased after the shooter's car when the fairy went down--but all I can think about is finding Her Ladyship! And we're fucked on that score, seein' as how we don't have a fuckin' clue where to start!

(Feeling guilty, Zippy elects to do some recon, and tells Bill he will return at sunrise)

Bill: Where the hell you gonna go?

(Zippy vanishes from his cage before Bill's eyes)

Bill: (Rubbing his brow and forehead, shaking his head) This bullshit is gonna kill me. (He opens the truck door and gets out) At least he told me when he'll be back this time. (Bill walks to the front door of his house, stops at the porch and looks up into the murky night sky) I could use a little direction, Big Guy, if you're up there, listening. (He sighs, and walks inside, noting the ungodly hour as he plops down on the couch for a few hours rest.)

--Walkara

-------------------------

(Linc flips his phone shut and puts it in his jacket pocket. He looks over at Tina in the passenger's seat of the El Camino and smiles, then puts his attention back on the road)

Tina: (Feeling his eyes leave her) Is everything in order for tomorrow?

Linc: Yeah, I think so...Jake's gonna have a crew down there first thing, which is really just a few hours away. Cass is takin' care of the cameras. I'll need to drop by the Yost's tomorrow. Mitch had a few ideas about the setup.

Tina: Like what?

Linc: Beats me. He'll probably drag one of his totems down to the beach or something. (He grins) Maybe he has a ceremony or something he needs to perform before surfing; to consecrate the ground or some bullshit. (He chuckles) He's an amazing athlete, a legend really, but he's still a self-rightous cunt.

Tina: Just your type. (She laughs)

Linc: You wanna help me out tomorrow?

Tina: Actually, I have plans.

Linc: What? With who?!

Tina: The Real Estate King.

Linc: Why?

Tina: I'm gonna get a place. I can't afford to keep staying at the motel, now that I'm unemployed.

Linc: (failing to conceal the excitement in his voice) You mean....?!

Tina: ...I'm not going back to work, in the business anyway. My contract mysteriously disappeared anyway. (She shoots him a suspicious look)

Linc: Don't look at me! I wish I could take the credit, but that one was ALL Butchie.

Tina: (Smiles to herself) I should've known...

Linc: What changed your mind?

Tina: (remembering the sound of the water crashing against the shore) It's just time.

Linc: Are you looking for a house or an apartment?

Tina: A house, I think. I wanna have a place where Shaunie can come stay sometimes.

Linc: You know, I've been thinking about gettin' a permanent address in I.B. too...

Tina: Meaning...?

Linc: We could find a place together...if you can trust me. (He looks in her eyes briefly then turns his attention back to the road)

Tina: I told you that I forgave you, Linc. I meant it. I understand why you did what you did. Everybody lies. Just don't lie to me anymore.

Linc: I won't and I'm sorry.

Tina: I know. It's water under the pier.

Linc: So, whaddaya say?

Tina: Well...I don't know if it's such a great idea, Linc.

Linc: (discouraged) Why not?

Tina: Things are moving too fast. Let's take our time, and really get to know each other before we jump into something so permanent.

Linc: I get it. (He grows silent)

Tina: No, you don't. (She touches his shoulder) I'm in love with you, Linc. I am. Which is why I want to take it slow. I've moved fast enough for one life.

Linc: (Pulling into the hotel parking lot) I guess I can understand that. (He turns his head and kisses her hand on his shoulder)

Tina: (Leans over and kisses him on the cheek) Thank you.

(They get out of the car. Linc hands the attendant the keys, takes Tina's hand and they walk inside.)

--Walkara

------------------------
Do no harm

Sven2

(Shaun walks into his old room at the Yost house, ready to plop down on the bed, only to discover a pile of stuff on the bed)

Shaun: Gram!

Cissy: (Calling from the other room) What is it, Shaunie?

Shaun: What's all this stuff on my...the bed?

Cissy: (enters the room) Oh, shit. That. (She goes over and starts clearing things off)

Shaun: What is all this stuff?

Cissy: Just a bunch of stuff that I found in the attic. Shit from another life.

Shaun: Whadda you mean? (He picks up a dress from the pile and looks at it) Whose is this?

Cissy: That was mine.

Shaun: (Registering the size) It's too big for you.

Cissy: It was a maternity dress. I wore it when I was pregnant with your dad. (She clears the rest of the things off and sets them in a chair in the corner)

Shaun: (climbing in the bed) Were you glad when you found out you were gonna have my dad?

Cissy: I don't know...(Pauses) Sure, I guess I was. Your gramps was hot shit back then, and I was his lady. Everybody knew who we were. He wanted a goddam son fuckin' bad, I'll tell you. (She sits on the edge of the bed) He tried to act like he didn't care, but when he saw your dad's pecker he looked happier than I've ever fuckin' seen him since. (She gets a strange, distracted look on her face)

Shaun: (closing his eyes) Was my dad happy when he found out about me?

Cissy: (grumbles) Yep. Everyone else was fuckin' upset--but he walked around with a goddam shit-eating grin on his face. Things went sour between Tina and him before you were born, but he was so proud of himself. As much as a fuck-up as he is--or was--he wanted you. That's more than you can say for plenty of asshole these days. 'Course he was too fuckin' high to be any goddam use to you for the last fourteen years, but he always cared. The fuckin' idiot was in love with the idea of Tina having his kid. When she fuckin' left, he climbed further down the gutter--but he always worried about you; he always wanted the best for you. (Cissy looks at Shaun, noticing for the first time that he is asleep and snoring. She pats him on the head, throws a blanket over him and leaves the door cracked open behind her, as she has done for the last fourteen years.)

(Cissy walks from his room to hers, where Mitch is reading "Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army" in bed. With each step she fells a longing grow inside her. She fells a strange love-sickness, an ache in her chest. She enters the room, shoots an eye at Mitch, reading with a disgusted look on his face, and strips. She throws a t-shirt on and crawls into bed next to Mitch.)

Mitch: (acknowledging her) This is so fucked-up! (He looks at Cissy) The integral foundations of America are being systematically undermined and sabotaged! And nobody seems to care! (Realizing Cissy hasn't been listening to him, he flips the book shut and sets it on the bedside table) Hey, are you okay?

Cissy: What the fuck do you mean? I'm just fine. (She turns facing the other way)

Mitch: You seem weird.

Cissy: (turns back around, looking at him, annoyed) I seem weird, Mr. "touch my chakra, feel my chi"?? Take a look in the fuckin' mirror, why doncha?

Mitch: What's wrong? (He puts his hand on her arm)

Cissy: (Shrugging him off) Nothing's fuckin' wrong. Jesus! Back off, Mohammad.

(Mitch looks her in the eye, reassuringly)

Cissy: Fuck me! I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me--I just...I...I just miss having Shaunie in the house, is all. It's too fuckin' quiet with just you and me here.

Mitch: It's good for him to be with his dad though. About time too. Don't forget that Erlemeyer's staying here.

Cissy: That's not what I fuckin' mean--anyway, he's been pretty scarce. Didn't see him all day.

Mitch: What do you want then?

Cissy: I don't know...just back the fuck off, asshole. (She turns away from him and turns the lamp on her bedside table off)

Mitch: (Turns his lamp off too) Whatever (He rolls hsi eyes)...good night, Cissy.

Cissy: Night, dickhead.

--Walkara

-----------------------

(Morning's first light creeps through the curtains, spilling across the bed. Butchie, wide-awake, holds Kai in the crook of his arm, and stares at the ceiling in deep thought, listening to the radio.)

Playing on the radio

Kai: (rousing, she lifts her head from Butchie's body, and looks at him) Did you sleep?

Butchie: Nope. (He grins up at Kai) I fuckin' couldn't.

Kai: (She lays back down on him) I'm sorry. (She kisses his chest) What's on your mind?

Butchie: Nuthin'. (He rubs his eyes with his free hand)

Kai: (running her hand along his chest) Liar. You still freaked about the shooting?

Butchie: Naww..it's just: that was a close fuckin' call, ya know? I mean, shit, Shaunie was right fuckin' there.

Kai: Still stewing over that, huh?

Butchie: That's my fuckin' kid, Kai: it's my job to keep him safe. Now that he's in the goddamn public eye, who knows what kind of nutjobs are gonna crawl outta the woodwork.

Kai: He'll be fine, Butchie.

Butchie: I was thinkin': if John's Father isn't an asshole, if he sent John to do his work--and I think he did--doesn't that mean, you know, the other side is at work too.

Kai: "The other side"?

Butchie: Yeah, you know: the bad guys.

Kai: I dunno...I didn't think about that.

Butchie: Me either, until Barry got shot. I can't fuckin' shake the feeling that it had somethin' to do with what's going on here. I ain't fuckin' worried for me--I can take care of myself--but I can't fuckin' handle with the thought of anything happening to you or Shaunie.

Kai: Nuthin's gonna happen, Butchie. Anyway, we've got John on our side.

Butchie: I guess...but I'd feel a helluva lot better knowin' Freddy's here. The dude's like a fuckin' Terminator when he digs his teeth in.

Kai: I wonder if he had any luck chasing that car...

Butchie: I fuckin' hope so...the asshole that shot Barry had better pray I don't get my hands on him.

Kai: Poor Barry.

Butchie: No shit: That bullet hit him in the same fuckin' spot I smacked him with the broomstick when we was kids. CRACK! (Butchie shudders) And now he's fuckin' gone. When Cass called last night, she said the Doc went looking for Dwayne, to see if he could fuckin' get a message to Barry over the interweb.

Kai: You mean the internet.

Butchie: What-the-fuck-ever.

Kai: Barry'll be back.

Butchie: How do you fuckin' know?

Kai: Like you said, John's Father isn't an asshole--and who else would be behind the disappearance?

Butchie: What about the fucks that shot him?? What if they went to finish the job?

Kai: I didn't think about that, but didn't Cass tell you that he vanished right outta the ambulance?

Butchie: Yeah...I guess so. But who's to say 'the other side' don't got the same strange fuckin' abilities and powers John does?

Kai: I doubt it.

Butchie: But how can you be sure?

Kai: You need to relax, Butchie. Freaking out about this stuff ain't gonna do you any good. You want me to take your mind off of it again? (She raises her eyebrows at him)

Butchie: That's tempting...but I'm too wiped-out to even move--to even sleep.

Kai: Oh well. (She stretches) I think I'm gonna head down to the beach and catch a few waves. (She stands and starts dressing)

Butchie: Just stay here, with me.

Kai: I'll be back in a few hours.

Butchie: I don't want you to fuckin' leave. (He eyes her womanly form)

Kai: Too fuckin' bad. I'll be right back.

Butchie: No, I mean...I don't want you to go to Hawaii. (His eyes glaze as the words leave his lips. He fights the emotion)

Kai: (sighs) I know.

Butchie: So, don't go.

Kai: I'm going, Butchie. Honestly, I think it's a little fucked of you to ask me that. You know damn well how much I want--how much I need this. This is my chance to make my mark. If I don't take it, I'll never forgive myself. And if I stay, I'll end up resenting you.

Butchie: I don't mind. (Turns away from her) Why not wait then...until I can go with you?

Kai: You can't leave, Butchie. You have Shaun now. He needs you.

Butchie: I need you.

Kai: You only think that. (She pulls his long-sleeve black t-shirt over her bra) But you don't.

Butchie: Fuck that! And fuck you for saying it!

Kai: You're strong again, Butchie. You'll be fine. (She gathers her things) Besides, I'll be back. It's not like we're never gonna see each other again.

Butchie: You don't fuckin' know what's gonna happen! What if you meet someone else?

Kai: (Turning to leave) I won't.

Butchie: (Sitting up in bed) Promise?

Kai: (Looks into his eyes, smiling) I can't promise that, anymore than you can promise there's nothing between you and Tina (She walks out the door)

(Butchie sits back in bed, anger and frustration building inside him. He stands up and walks across the room to the bathroom. Inside, he takes a considerable leak, then moves to the sink. He turns it on, and grabs his toothbrush, then looks into the mirror and freezes. He stares into his face, searching his eyes for the resolve to face the day for a few minutes, transfixed, before gritting his teeth and slamming his fist, hard, into the mirror, shattering it. Glass shards fall down, in the sink, onto the floor. Butchie takes a deep breath, appraises his bloody knuckles, then applies toothpaste and brushes his teeth, watching saliva and toothpaste mingle with shattered glass before going down the drain. He walks back to the bed, pulls on a pair of boxers and a t-shirt, then grabs his keys and walks outside to his van. He gets in, turns the ignition, and drives to the Yost house)

--Walkara

----------------------

(Cass walks out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her midsection. She sits down on the bed, takes lotion from the night stand and applies it to her arms and legs. John is sitting in a red chair watching her intently)

Cass: (Noticing John's eyes on her) What're you looking at? (She gives him a half-smile)

John: I've got my eye on you, Cass.

Cass: Yeah, well, take it off and turn around so I can put on a bra and panties. (She hold out her hand and spins her finger to illustrate)

John: (holds his had up and spins his finger in response) Take it off.

Cass: No, John, turn around. (She stands and spins a circle) And keep your mind out of the mud.

John: (mimicking her) Turn around.

Cass: Good job. Now, just stay where you are, and look out the window.(She drops the towel and walks to the dresser to get her undergarments)

John: (Spins back around, looks at Cass) Hi Cass. (He blushes) I get hard over mud.

Cass: (Covering herself with her hands) Jesus, John! Close your eyes, pervert!

John: Shut up, you perv! (He grins innocently)

Cass: (quickly pulling a pair of black, lace panties up) You're the perv, John. (She straps her bra on) When a girl asks you to turn away so she can dress, you're supposed to be a gentleman, and look away. (She walks to the closet and gets a pair of jeans and a tank-top)

John: Be a gentleman, Cass.

Cass: (Dressing) That's right, John. (She finishes and goes back into the bathroom)

(When Cass exits the bathroom, fifteen minutes later, she is fully dressed and ready to go.)

Cass: (looks at John and motions for him to follow her) Let's hit the road.

John: Barry hit the road. Barry will not soon forget.

Cass: Forget what?

John: I don't know--

Cass: --"Butchie instead"? (She smiles)

(John tilts his head, curiously)

Cass: C'mon, John. I've gotta meet Emma at the Internet Cafe--I'll drop you off at The Snug Harbor on the way.

(They exit the room)

--Walkara

-----------------------------

Do no harm

Sven2

(Freddy and Erlemeyer walk up the sidewalk toward the Snug Harbor Motel, a few steps ahead of Palaka, trailing behind)

Freddy: ...That's right! I fuckin' knew I recognized your mug from somewhere.

Erlemeyer: As did I. What was it? '82? '83?

Freddy: Somewhere around there. Cissy and Mitch were on the Big Island for a competition. I sure as fuck remember your blotter acid. That shit had me fryin' my balls off.

Erlemeyer: That was toward the end; I'd perfected the my recipe at that point.

Freddy: You still make that shit?

Erlemeyer: I'm afraid not. Those days are behind me.

Freddy: Me too. I done too much acid.

Palaka: (jumping in) Ahh, 'scuse me for interrupting the walk down memory lane, boss, but what are we gonna do 'bout that place?

Freddy: Keep the fuck on alert, I guess. (To Erlemeyer) What the fuck was that place anyway?

Erlemeyer: It used to be the Imperial Beach Radio Receiving Facility, but it was recently bought by the Navy and re-dubbed The Silver Strand Training Complex.

Freddy: How long have you been watchin' that place?

Erlemeyer: A couple days, I suppose. All sorts of suspicious activity. That gray car you followed onto the premises has come and gone several times over the last few days.

Freddy: We're gonna find that fuckin' asshole and end him.

Palaka: You think the queer's okay, boss?

Freddy: I don't fuckin' know. He might be; that was a fuckin' sloppy head-shot.

Erlemeyer: Very curious...

Freddy: What the fuck are you on about?

Erlemeyer: The whole scenario, as you've described, doesn't add up. To begin, why would someone with military and/or governmental ties target Mr. Cunningham? Unless he has some sort covert past we're unfamiliar with...

Freddy: Not fuckin' likely.

Erlemeyer:...then he was probably targeted for his affiliation with the Yosts.

Palaka: Umm, excuse me (He cuts between Freddy and Erlemeyer)...but why didn't they shoot Butchie, Shaun, or Mitch then?

Freddy: (grinning to himself) Or Cissy.

Erlemeyer: (amused by Freddy's comment) Perhaps Mr. Cunningham was taken out to prevent further affiliation. Remember, he is incredibly wealthy. It could be that his financial presence, and subsequent investments, in Imperial Beach threatens outside interests. From what I've observed, those soldiers are training for something in particular. At first I supposed they were regular military, but I noticed that the perimeter guard had a strange uniform on, with a shoulder patch that read "Darkwater".

Palaka: Whaddaya think it means, boss?

Freddy: Fuck if I know...sounds familiar though.

Erlemeyer: Heard of Blackwater?

Freddy: Mercenary soldiers, right?

Erlemeyer: That's right, with the physical prowess to stage a coup d'état.

Freddy: You don't think...

Erlemeyer: No. This strikes me as a government-sanctioned operation.

Palaka: What kind of "operation"?

Erlemeyer: That remains to be seen, but I have no doubt that it will indeed be seen.

Freddy: Yeah, well they better fuckin' watch out, 'cause they ain't gonna get that close again.

Palaka: They messed with the wrong guy. (He puts his arm around Freddy's shoulder)

Freddy: (throws off Palaka's arm) Get your mitts off me, cocksucker!

Erlemeyer: (pointing to the motel, just ahead of them) Thank god! (He sighs) My feet weren't anticipating an prolonged walk.

Freddy: Don't tell me you're surprised that that fuckin' ungodly shit-box crapped-out on you.

Erlemeyer: I think it was just a dead battery.

Freddy: Give me a fuckin' break: that thing sounded like an damn emphysema patient.

Erlemeyer: Where's your car?

Freddy: After I heard the fuckin' shots, and saw that car take off, I commandeered a young girl's car, and had her trail the gray car until we saw it turn into that fuckin' training ground. She dropped us off down the street and we sneaked the rest of the fuckin' way. Then we saw you standing by the fence.

Palaka: Heidi was her name. Kinda bitchy at first, but turned out to be a nice girl.

Freddy: Nice girl?? She fuckin' bit you.

Palaka: Yeah, but that was before I had a chance to explain that we were undercover agents. (He examines the purple bite-mark on his hand, and touches it tenderly) She apologized.

Freddy: We better get you a tetanus shot. That shit looks bad.

Palaka: (turns green) A shot?!..with a needle??! (woozy) I'll pass, boss.

Erlemeyer: The bacterial inoculum of human bite wounds is rich in oral flora, as saliva contains as many as 100,000,000 organisms per mL, representing as many as 190 different species. Moreover, hand wounds of any cause have a higher infection rate than similar wounds in other anatomic locations.

Palaka: (looking at Freddy) That don't sound good. You mind translatin' for me, Freddy?

Freddy: It means you need a shot, moron.

Palaka: (gulp) Will you hold my hand?

(Freddy gives him a look that says "Fuck off")

Palaka: Maybe the Doc will...

(They walk onto the Snug Harbor lot, just in time to see Butchie getting into his VW van)

Freddy: Hey! Butchie!

Butchie: (starts the car and drives over to them) Where the fuck did you go, Freddy? I was fuckin' lookin' for you.

Freddy: Tailed the shooter's fuckin' car down to that goddam training complex.

Butchie: What the fuck....is goin' on here?! (shakes his head) Whoever these assholes are, I'm gonna make 'em pay! This is MY city, goddamit!

Freddy: What're you gonna fuckin' do? Shower 'em with dirty needles? Fend 'em off with your surfboard. You just stay the fuck outta my way, and I'll make sure they pay.

Palaka: Oooo, they're fucked! Freddy is on the case!

Freddy: Shut up, retard. (to Butchie) How's the queer?

Butchie: Fuckin' disappeared right outta the ambulance. Vanished into thin air.

Palaka: No shit? Just like the kid?

Butchie: I guess....anyway, I gotta go check on my kid, at my ma's place. But I'll be around later.

Erlemeyer: Would you mind giving me a ride?

Butchie: Hop in.

(Erlemeyer gets in the passenger's side)

Freddy: You stay outta trouble Butchie. Just focus on surfing, and leave the other bullshit to me.

Butchie: Whatever, Freddy. (He rolls up the window and drives away)

Palaka: I'm beat, boss. Whadda you say we get a few winks?

Freddy: No way: we've got work to do.

--Walkara

------------------------

(Butchie is riding in the van; he looks down and calls "Ma" on his cellphone. He gets a network busy signal).

Butchie: Mother Fucker!

(Butchie slams the phone on the passenger seat. He thinks for a second, picks it up and tries again. This time he gets through)

Butchie: How's Shaunie doing?

Cissy: He's sleeping.

Butchie: I'm on my way over, I wan't to check on him.

Cissy: We'll fuck me, the doting father!

Butchie: Give me a break ma, it's been a shitty day.

Cissy: Whatever shit for brains... (she pauses and mellows a little), you want some breakfast?

Butchie: Yeah, sounds great ma.

(Cass an John are driving down the street, John is staring idly into space with a big grin on his face. Suddenly he speaks)

John: What do you want Butchie Yost?

Cass: Butchie isn't here John.

John: Butchie is ashamed.

Cass: Well we can talk with him at the motel

John: Butchie is going to see Shaun.

Cass: And where is Shaun?

John: He is with Cissy. Cissy is a ball-buster

Cass: No shit, John. Would you like to go there instead?

John: I'd like to go there instead, Cass.

Cass: Okay John

(Back at Cissy's house, Cissy puts down the phone and goes to knock on Shaun's door)

Cissy: Shaunie... time to get up, your dad's coming over!

Shaunie: (Shaun is on top of his bed naked except for boxer shorts around his ankles masturbating to a copy of Hustler; we see the magazine and his upper body) ... um, ok I'll be out in a sec...

Cissy: Well hurry up!

(Cissy starts cleaning up the kitchen, and picks up Shaun's skate jacket which he had dumped on the kitchen table. She gives it a shake and a pat. Feeling something in the inside pocket she investigates and pulls out a joint and a lighter)

Cissy: (under her breath) That little fucker... I'm gonna kick his ass (she busts into the room screaming) What the fuck is wrong with you, you little shit...

(She sees Shaunie, dick in hand, who looks back and leaps over onto his side pulling the bed clothes over him. Having caught sight of Shaun jacking off, Cissy freezes, goes white, and runs out the door.

We cut back and forth between Shaun still lying on the bed unawares what to do, and Cissy who has returned to the Kitchen table and, fumbling, lights a cigarette.

There is a knock at the door, and the handle rattles.

Butchie (Peering through the door) Hey! Can I come in?

--backinthegame

---------------------------------

Butchie: (stepping inside) Mornin'. (He offers Cissy his warmest smile)

Cissy: (paralyzed, she looks down) Hey. (She takes a hefty drag from her Marlboro Red, her hands shaking slightly)

Butchie: (feeling a little rejected, but resolved to avoid a fight) What's for breakfast? (he rubs his hands together)

Cissy: (distracted) Make your own fuckin' breakfast.

Butchie: You offered.

Cissy: (gathering her wits) What the fuck is going on with Shaunie?

Butchie: (Innocently) What are you talkin' about?

Cissy: Ever-the-fuck since he moved-the-fuck into that shithole with you, he's been getting into fucking trouble. (Losing steam) No goddam BIG surprise there, I guess (to herself) I outta have my head examined for letting him move in there with you. (She takes another drag)

Butchie: What'd he do? (He puts his hands on his hips)

Cissy: I found a joint in his jacket. (She holds it up, exhaling in his direction)

Butchie: (puts his hands in his pockets) I fuckin' talked to him about that.

Cissy: You did a bang-up job, Condoleezza. (She takes another drag)

Butchie: I'll go talk to him. (He doesn't move) But...(he clears his throat) it's not out of the ordinary for a grom to smoke a little reefer, ma.

Cissy: He's only 13, you fucking moron! (She puts her cigarette in the ashtray before her)

Butchie: He's 14, ma.

Cissy: Yeah...well, there's nothing fuckin' ordinary about Shaunie. He's a good fuckin' kid--and he doesn't need you rubbing all you goddam bad habits off on him!

Butchie: (takes a breath) Like YOU rubbed your bad fucking habits off on me??!!! (A surge a relief and shame passes through him, twinged with guilt. He looks her in the eye)

Cissy: Exactly (She fights back tears; her eyes glaze) What I did...(She takes a breath)...there's no excuse, no forgive...(She feels suffocated)

Butchie: (Putting his hand on her shoulder, leaning down to make eye contact) It's okay, ma. (with warmth, sincerity) I forgive you. (He smiles at her) We ALL fuck-up.

Cissy: (Ashamed of herself, feeling unworthy) I didn't fucking ask you to forgive me. (She puts her hand on his hand on her shoulder, and looks him in the eye, feeling pride for the son her man had become, and guilt for the damaged boy she could still see in his eyes) Go talk to your son. (She pats his hand, then takes her cigarette from the ashtray and drags on it as he passes by her toward Shaun's room)

--Walkara

----------------------------

Butchie: Knock fuckin' knock. (He pushes Shaun's door open with his foot)

(Shaun is sitting in bed, reading a surfing magazine with a picture of himself of the cover. Music is playing on the stereo.)

Click to Listen

Butchie: Hey! I know this song. (He sits, facing the other way, at the foot of Shaun's bed)

Shaun: I know.

Butchie: I fuckin' love Nirvana. Is this my CD?

Shaun: Nope. Kai's. Everybody loves Nirvana, dad.

Butchie: Not your Grams. Or Gramps, far as that fuckin' goes. (to himself) Kai probably fuckin' stole this from me. (scratches his head)

Shaun: What does Grams like?

Butchie: (cracking a smile) I dunno...she likes breakin' balls. (He gives Shaun a smile over his shoulder then looks back at the wall opposite)

Shaun: Besides that.

Butchie: Shit, buddy, she used to play beach volleyball, listen to acid rock, surf...

Shaun: (wide-eyed) Grams surfed?!

Butchie: Yeah. She was pretty good too. I think. I can't remember too much of that shit--that's why you shouldn't fuckin' mess with drugs, buddy. (He moves to the side of the bed, facing the window, and looks at Shaun, to his right) It fucks your shit up. (He points to himself with his thumb)

Shaun: I know, Dad. (Shaun turns his attention back to the magazine)

Butchie: (Lifting the magazine, still in Shaun's hands, to get a better look at the cover) Fuckin' A, pal. That's from the other day, isn't it?

Shaun: Yeah. (He sets the magazine down) Hey...Dad...?

Butchie: Listen Shaunie....

Shaun: What?

Butchie: Go ahead.

Shaun: It's nuthin'.

Butchie: All right...well, ah, your grams, she, ah, she's pretty pissed at you.

Shaun: (Turns red) She told you?? (Shaun sinks into the bed)

Butchie: (Indignant) 'Course she fuckin' told me! I'm your fuckin' dad!

Shaun: (looks down) It's none of her business.

Butchie: Of course it is! She's your grandma. and she's just lookin' out for you; she doesn't want you turnin' out like the old man--(He makes eye contact with Shaun)--And neither do I.

Shaun: Everybody does it dad.

Butchie: That doesn't make it okay, buddy. That shit leads to harder stuff. I didn't start out shoving a needle in my fuckin' arm. (He flexes his arm absentmindedly)

Shaun: C'mon dad...get real. (He rolls his eyes) Jerking off doesn't lead to becoming a junkie. (He laughs)

Butchie: Wait!--what??? You mean...grams caught you...? (He feel lightheaded)

Shaun: Saying "Hi" to my monster. (The embarrassment strikes him again, and he cringes deeper into his bed)

Butchie: (Flustered) Oh...well..uh....um......Fuck, buddy. Fuck. That fuckin' sucks, kiddo.

Shaun: I know. (He shudders) Why can't she knock like everybody else? I can't ever look her in the eye again.

Butchie: (feeling paternal) Sure you can, Shaunie. It ain't the worst fuckin' thing that coulda happened...

Shaun: Yeah it is.

Butchie: Nah. (He dismisses it with his hand)

Shaun: Did she ever catch you?

Butchie: (swallows) Huh? (He freezes)

Shaun: Did grams ever catch you jerking-off?

Butchie: (Summoning his courage) Umm...once. (Butchie is flushed)

Shaun: What did she do?

(Suddenly feels short of breath; darkness swirls around Butchie's field of vision, spiraling into blackness; static. His mind swims through a buzzing head-rush, as if swimming desperately from the ocean's depths to the surface. He lays back on the bed, across Shaun's legs, still under the covers)

Shaun: Dad! (He sits up and shakes Butchie) Dad, are you okay?

Butchie]: (still reeling) I'm fine. (He takes a breath, and feels the head-rush dissipating, evaporating like a mist leaving only a faint head ache and blurred vision in it's place) Phew....(He takes another measured breath)

Shaun: What happened? (He helps Butchie sit upright)

Butchie: (arm around Shaun) I dunno...(takes another deep breath) Fuck me...what happened?

Shaun: I asked you what Grams did when she caught you jerking off?

Butchie: Oh..yeah. (takes a deep breath) Let's just say it didn't go well.

Shaun: Did she freak out and run off, swearing to herself?

Butchie: Ahh, not exactly.

Shaun: What then?

Butchie: (Feeling faint again) Umm...(keeping his breaths measured) I guess you could say she gave me some pointers.

Shaun: (in disbelief) What?! (then disgust) That's so fucked! (He chuckles to himself)

Butchie: No shit. You should be glad she just turned and fuckin' ran. (He puts his arm around Shaun, feeling strangely rejuvenated, if a bit weak) She found a joint in your bag too. That's what I was talkin' about before.

Shaun: Oh...she found that too?

Butchie: Where'd you get the fuckin' joint

Shaun: Adam.

Butchie: You've been gettin' in to trouble with that kid. Maybe he ain't the best fuckin' kid to spend your time with. Whatever happened to Jojo?

Shaun: Jojo's still around. Adam's okay, dad.

Butchie: I don't know, Shaun. I don't want you smoking that shit, anymore, okay?

Shaun: Why? Everybody else does.

Butchie: It might fuckin' seem that way, but most people don't, bud.

Shaun: It's not that big of a deal.

Butchie: I know that. But you're too young for all that. Charging big pipe is the best fuckin' high anyway.

Shaun: You got me there. Are we gonna go surfin' today?

Butchie: Hell yeah...we gotta get primed for tomorrow. (He stands up) Kai's already out there.

Shaun: Let's go right now. (He throws the covers off, exposing the copy of Hustler magazine)

Butchie: (picks up the magazine) Where'd you get this? (He leafs through it, nodding his head in approval of what he sees, then shaking it in disapproval of Shaun having it)

Shaun: One of my friends. (He takes it from Butchie and throws it under the bed)

Butchie: I think you're a little fuckin' young for this stuff buddy. (He leans down, takes the magazine from under the bed, rolls it up, with the cover facing in, and puts it in his back pocket) I'll get you a Playboy or something. You gotta work up to this stuff.

Shaun: (attempting to change the subject back) So, uh, are we gonna surf or not?

Butchie: After we eat breakfast with grams and gramps.

Shaun: Deal.

--Walkara

--------------------------------------
Do no harm

Sven2

(Shaun follows Butchie from the bedroom to the kitchen, where Cissy is busy making French toast and hash browns.)

Butchie: Decided to fuckin' feed us after all, huh? (He winks at Cissy)

Cissy: Shut up and sit the fuck down, numb-nuts. (She looks at Shaun) How many pieces do you want, Shaunie? (She smiles, albeit awkwardly)

Shaun: (Matching her smile) Six. And can I have it with--

Cissy: --Raspberry jam, I know, Shaunie. Sure thing. (She turns her attention back to breakfast preparation)

(There's a knock at the door)

John: Whadda you want, Butchie Yost?

Butchie: (Hops up, goes over and opens the door for John) Hey! Good fuckin' morning buddy! (Shows John in, patting him on the back as he passes to go over to Shaun)

John: Morning, buddy (He sits by Shaun at the table)

Shaun: Hi, John. Where've you been.

John: I went to kiss Barry. Barry is gone.

Butchie: I heard. Where'd he fuckin' go?

(John Shrugs)

Cissy: Hey, Captain Awesome!, if you're so goddam powerful, why didn't you jump-the-fuck in, and stop the fruitcake from gettin' capped. (She flips the slices of French toast, arranged across the griddle)

John: It's all right. (wiping a non-existent tear from his eye) This happens. This is something you learn to accept.

Butchie: (Sitting in the empty chair opposite Shaun) But he's all right, isn't he? He ain't dead, is he?

John: He ain't dead is he. (Shaun follows Butchie from the bedroom to the kitchen, where Cissy is busy making french toast and hashbrowns.)

Butchie: Decided to fuckin' feed us after all, huh? (He winks at Cissy)

Cissy: Shut up and sit the fuck down, numb-nuts. (She looks at Shaun) How many pieces do you want, Shaunie? (She smiles at him)

Shaun: (Matching her smile) Six. And can I have it with--

Cissy: --Raspberry jam, I know, Shaunie. (She turns her attention back to breakfast preparation)

(There is a knock at the door)

John: Whadda you want, Butchie Yost?

Butchie: (Hops up, goes over and opens the door for John) Hey! Good fuckin' morning buddy! (Shows John in, patting him on the back as he passes to go over to Shaun)

John: Morning, buddy (He sits by Shaun at the table)

Shaun: Hi, John. Where've you been.

John: I went to kiss Barry. Barry is gone.

Butchie: I heard. Where'd he fuckin' go?

(John Shrugs)

Cissy: Hey, Captain Awesome!, if your so goddam powerful, why didn't you jump-the-fuck in, and stop the fruitcake from getting capped. (She slips the slices french toast, arranged across the griddle)

John: It?s all right. (wiping a non-existent tear from his eye) This happens. This is something you learn to accept.

Butchie: (Sitting in the empty chair opposite Shaun) But he's all right, isn't he. He ain't dead, is he?

John: He ain't dead is he. (John gives Butchie a self satisfied smile) My Father's not an asshole.

(Mitch walks in from the back room, yawning and stretching. He nods at Shaun, Butchie, and John, then walks over to Cissy, puts his arms around her, kisses her on the lips, and takes over French toast duties while she focuses on the hash browns)

--Walkara

-------------------------------------

(Barry wakes to the sound of the surf pounding the shore. He opens his eyes when he feels something bounce lightly off the top of his head. Again he hears the sound of the surf pounding the shore. Reaching up he slowly pulls down the opening of the sleeping bag that is covering his face and sees that he is on the beach and it is just before sunrise. Again he feels something lightly bounce off the top of his head , he looks up behind him and sees a young boy grinning at him. The boy has a handful of small seashells that he has been tossing at him.)

Boy: You can?t learn to surf laying there comfy cozy all morning!

Barry: Learn to surf? Where am I?

Boy: Uh... hello, Barry, it?s me, Johnny, (he waves at Barry) I?m teaching you to surf today?... Duh?.. Come on dude, we got to get out there before it gets too big.

Barry: Too big? I am...(Barry sits up and immediately notices that his body is that of a boy. In amazement he lifts his hands and examines them, then he touches his face and runs his fingers through his thick curley hair) I have hair!

Johnny: (laughs) Did you just say you have hair? (laughing and shaking his head, he throws a camo wetsuit at Barry) where, on your balls? Put this on dude or you?ll freeze ?em off.

Barry: (grabs the wetsuit and looks at it, confused he looks around) I must be dreaming..

Johnny: (throws a larger shell at him smacking him in the head with it. Barry winces in pain) Did you feel that? Then you?re not dreaming, hurry up dude, we want to get out there before everyone wakes up. You want to be standing at least by then don?t ya?

Barry: (rubs his head) Everyone?... Ok, where do I?...

Johnny: Dude, we?re the only ones on the beach... Here, I?ll turn around (Johnny turns around shaking his head and Barry scrambles out of the sleeping bag quickly struggling to get the wetsuit on) I?ve seen dicks before... are you done yet?

Barry: (after some effort stands and twists around) Done, except for the..(he struggles to reach the zipper over his shoulder, but Johnny turns around and pulls Barry?s hand down to his lower back to the strap. He guides his hand up and over his back pulling the zipper up.)

Johnny: Just like that! (he pulls his own wetsuit up from his waist and completes the same motion with the zipper so Barry can see him do it.) See?

Barry: (looks down at the wetsuit and again marvels at his body. He holds his arms up looking at them smiling) How old am I?

Johnny: (laughs) Dude, did you get hit on the head or something? You?re eleven, same as me! Man you?re starting to freak me out. (he walks over to the surfboards and picks one up and carries it over to Barry) This one should be a good starter, a bit long and heavy, but it?s what you want.

Barry: (takes the nose of the board but drops the other end back onto the sand. He looks up noticing a group of buildings just back over a rise off the beach) What?s that?

Johnny: The Camp? Dude, Yost got you high last night didn?t he?! Come on, surf's up! (Johnny picks up his board and runs toward the surf. Barry lifts the heavy board and follows, looking back at the Camp) All right, student, do as the teacher does! (When they reach the water Johnny lays on his board and glides out) Just do what I do BC! (surprised, Barry flops down on the board and glides out effortlessly beside Johhny. Johnny begins paddling and Barry does the same)

(The surf is calm as they paddle out, Barry copies Johnny?s every move.)

Johnny: (sits up on his board and watches Barry do the same) We should get some three footers in a minute and I?m going to show you once while you sit here and watch, and then it?ll be your turn. Just relax and I?ll help you get started.

Barry: (looks back to shore) Is it a summer camp?

Johnny: Summer camp? Dude what are you taking about? It?s year round... You know that, you been here before. My old man runs the place?...

Barry: I have? (he looks back at the camp, then up and down the beach) What?s it called?

Johnny: I call it Camp Cincinnati but it?s actually S.A.N.A.-T. Some sort of, what do you call it, with the letters? Yost calls it Camp Insanity.

Barry: An acronym?

Johnny: Dude, cool it with the book worm stuff, it?ll get your ass kicked.

Barry: What?s it mean?

Johnny: I don?t know, Synaptic adjustment... neural something training, (he lays down on his board) something like that, (he watches the incoming swells and begins to paddle) Some things I know, some things I don?t dude... (he begins paddling faster as the wave rises) here we go...

(Barry watches as Johnny jumps to his feet and catches the wave)

Catch a Wave

--SpiritontheWater

------------------------------

(Driving south down Silver Stand Blvd, near where it becomes HWY 75, Madame Alabaster, dressed in a simple black pantsuit, with her hair tied in a bun, sits in the back of a black Cadillac, fiddling with her blackberry. Next to her sits a stunningly beautiful, tall, dark-haired woman with a thick, mysterious accent.)

Dark-haired woman: How vas your flight?

Madame Alabaster: (takes off her glasses, and massages the bridge of her nose with her thumb and index finger) Satisfactory, I suppose. (She puts her glasses back on and sighs) And where is Mr. White now?

Dark-haired woman: Who knows? (She opens a small black purse in her lap, takes out some lipstick and purses her lips as she applies it perfectly) Power-fucking one of hees boyz, no doubt. (She bares her teeth, smiling)

Madame Alabaster: (Annoyed) I was assured that Miss Mahagony would be keeping a close eye on Mr. White.

Dark-haired woman: Do not call me zhat! I detest zhat ridiculous name, Gloria.

Madame Alabaster: (grabs the woman's right wrist, and left forearm) DON'T break anonymity with me Elena! (She squeezes hard) I WON'T tolerate it.

Mahogany: Oww! (Ripping her arms free) Ouch! Don't you fucking touch me, you fucking beetch! (She rubs her wrist)

Madame Alabaster: Then you best mind your tongue, you silly little slattern. If not for Craven, you'd still be at that fucking brothel. (Picks her blackberry back up and begins using it) This mess is UNACCEPTABLE. This "chapter" is beneath me--and, if not for my brother's involvement--and subsequent disappearance--I'd be satisfied to re-focus our border efforts elsewhere. This city is a hole, unworthy of the role it will one day play in world events.

Mahogany: (Crosses her legs, folds her arms) Zis place is integral to zee plan--and you know eet.

Madame Alabaster: Perhaps, but not so much as you may suspect. (She finishes with the Blackberry and puts it in her briefcase, at her feet on the floor) The network is constructed so that no single piece is irreplaceable. We could just as easily have gone chosen Yuma.

Mahagony: Imperial Beach vas chosen for many reasons: do not act as eef zee Silver Strand Facility, and the Naval Amphibious Base aren't essential to zee plan.

Madame Alabaster: Best keep a civil tongue, Mahogany. You reveal your own ignorance. The plan is just that: a plan. It's the Conviction that matters. Everything else is secondary. It's no wonder you've been stationed here, with nothing to do but watch and wait for the pieces to "fall" into place. And it could be a much longer wait than we initially anticipated. Years, perhaps. Patience is vital. And you can't even manage crowd control. I had to send my dear Franklin to deal with your problems--and now he's missing.

Mahogany: (failing to bite her tongue) Zhat had nuzing to do weeth me. Bernar--Meester Craven suggested using heem--from vhat I understand, Frank was "becoming zi problem".

Madame Alabaster: (furious, but retaining her composure) Mr. Craven should know better than to have discussed such things with his lessers. (scowls) Do I need to remind everyone how important discretion is, Goddamit!?! When we arrive, I intend to give the General and the rest of you a good, looong talking to. (She clasps her hands together in her lap) Now, give me an update while we're en route.

Mahogany: (Remembering protocol) All operations--projects--have been consolidated and moved to zee base. Some of zee experimental ventures vere relocate for fear of deescovery. Zee lab, for example. The surviving "test subjects" are in zee holding cells on base. Dr. Hearst is toying vith viping zee slate clean and starting again vhen ve geet another shipment of 'Zee Agent'.

Madame Alabaster: Good lord! Don't tell me he's still working on that?! That isn't a priority anymore!

Mahogany: As you said, zhere's a lot of vaiting. Some members have taken up their own pet projects in zee meantime. Mr. White being just one example.

Madame Alabaster: He better pull himself together, or I'll make an example out of him. (Pleased by her turn of phrase)

Mahogany: To be honest, I have no idea vhat he's up to. He's been quite distant this past veek.

Madame Alabaster: I tolerated Frank's "indulgences" because he's my flesh and blood--don't think for a second I will extend Mr. White the same courtesy. I'm finished letting the, ahem, proclivities of my fellow associates interfere with The Plan.

Mahogany: Your brother...he never reported een? He was spotted on zee pier, but ve don't have confirmation zhat eet vas heem. Are you sure he boarded hees plane?

Madame Alabaster: Yes. Absolutely. Frank was a lot of things, but he was very reliable when it came to "taking care of business." No, he was here. I can feel it.

Mahogany: Vhat do you suppose happened?

Madame Alabaster: Something bad...Frank always checked back in with me after completing missions. He was to catch a flight to the family estate directly afterwards. Something went wrong--and I intend to find what it was. But I must get it done before this evening; I'm catching a red eye back home tonight. I've got an very important meeting tomorrow.

Mahogany: (nodding to the SS Training Complex) Here ve are. (to the driver) Dennis, would take us to the side entrance?

Dennis: Sure thing, Miss Mahogany.

Mahagony: (Cringing at the sound of her codename, she looks at Alabaster) See??! Eet sounds awful. Miss Mahogany....like a fucking streepper.

Madame Alabster: An apt association for you, my dear. (she shoots an icy smile at Mahogany)

Mahogany: Fucking Beetch.

Madame Alabster: Yes, and try not to forget that, lest I'm forced to return to this dismal, abandoned hole and remind you.

(The car pulls around to the side of the Facility. Dennis exits, opens the door, and lets the women out of the car. Madame Alabaster exits, looks at Dennis, walks to the door, turns, pulls a handgun from her briefcase, and shoots him in the forehead. He staggers, then falls to the ground, in a rapidly accumulating pool of blood)

Mahognay: (Horrified) Vhat zee fuck!...vhy zee fuck did you do zhat?!!

Madame Alabster: Have someone clean that up. (She puts the gun back in her briefcase) Maybe next time you'll be more careful who you use my name in front of. (She walks inside, leaving Mahogany behind to take care of the body, listening to the click-clock of Madame Alabaster's high heels walking down the hall inside the building)

--Walkara

-----------------------------------

(Bill sits on the couch, a hand halfway down his boxer shorts, Al Bundy-style, watching the original Ocean's Eleven on AMC)

Watch/Listen

Bill: (To himself) Old Dino could fuckin' sing! (He scratches his boys) Better goddam singer than any of these fuckin' punk-ass teenager's nowadays. (Sighs heavily) My Lo loved this song. She would put a record on, usually by one of the Rat Packers, and sing along while she cooked. Jesus! (He looks up) I miss hearing your voice, sweetheart...like a Goddam angel...

(Zippy suddenly materializes on the couch next to Bill)

Bill: You're back?! Where the fuck'd you go?

(Zippy quickly relays that he returned to the abandoned building where they were being held for clues, but found nothing)

Bill: No big fuckin' surprise there. (He turns his attention back to the television) I was just thinkin' about Lois. You remember how she would sing while she cooked, Zip?

(Zippy nods)

Bill: Those were the days, my friend. I'd come home from work, unload my troubles while she listened, occasionally accompanied by a neck massage. Then we'd eat dinner, with her filling me in on all the fuckin' minutiae that I coulda fuckin' cared less about then--but miss to high heaven now--then we'd settle in front of the tube, and watch one of her programs--or a game if I was lucky. (Overtaken by a wave of emotion) Life's empty without her. (Tears leak down his face) What's the fuckin' point, Zip, huh?

(Zippy reminds him of the many pressing issues on the agenda for the day)

Bill: I'm just goin' through the fuckin' motions without her, Zip. (He puts his head in his hands)

(Zippy flies to his shoulder, in a show of comfort)

Bill: Fuck me...(sobs)...it's pointless...fuckin' pointless.

(Zippy reminds Bill about his responsibility to Shaun)

Bill: What the fuck does he need me for? (Wipes his eyes) With Butchie on the mend, he's got a real father finally.

(Zippy reaffirms that Bill is essential to Shaun's progress)

Bill: How the fuck do you know?? I can't even protect my own goddam birds! (He shakes his head) Her Ladyship is God-knows-where.

(Zippy reminds him of the shooting at the motel--and hypothesizes that Shaun may be a future target of similar insanity, then fflies over and perches on the door knob)

Bill: (Sitting up) That's a good fuckin' point, Zip. My years of law enforcement gives me the advantage over whatever twisted fucks are out to get him. (Bill stands, wiping the moisture from his face with his hand) I better get down to the goddam pier and make sure every unlikelihood is fuckin' covered. (He walks over and picks his trousers off the floor and threads one leg at a time through them.) It's gonna be a goddam bitch, but I'm not leaving anything to chance. I'm not letting what happened to the fruit happen to the boy! (He buttons his pants, and fastens his belt.) You comin', Zip?

(Zippy lands on his shoulder as the words leave his lips)

Bill: Let's get the fuck down there then.

(With a renewed sense of purpose Bill drives to the beach)

--Walkara

Do no harm

Sven2

----------------------------------------

(Linc knocks on the Yost's door)

Cissy: (Going to the door) Hold on (recognizing Linc) To what do we owe the fucking pleasure? (She shows him in and throws the door shut behind him without waiting for an answer)

Linc: (Approaching the table, where Mitch, Butchie, Shaun, and John are eating breakfast) I came to pick Mitch up, to help me prepare for the event. (To Mitch) You ready to go?

Mitch: Give me a minute. (He takes a gulp of tomato juice)

Butchie: (Mouthful of hashbrowns) Hey! What about me? Don't you need my fuckin' say-so on shit. (He winks at Linc)

Linc: You got some ideas?

Butchie: No--err, YES! Make sure the Stinkweed girls are there. (He grins at Shaun)

John: Mitch will bury any Money bitch. (He looks at Mitch for approval or collaboration)

Mitch: That's right, John. (He finishes his last bite, stands, picks up his plate, and delivers it to Cissy, washing dishes at the sink)

Cissy: (taking his dish) Thanks, Buddha. (She snorts)

Mitch: (Slaps her ass) Later, babe. (To Linc) I'll go get ready and be right back. (He disappears into the back)

Linc: (taking Mitch's seat) Morning, Shaunie. (To Cissy) You got any French toast left?

Cissy: Fuck off.

Linc: (To Butchie) You goin' down to the beach today?

Butchie: Yeah, me and Shaunie are gonna charge some pipe. Gotta get practiced for tomorrow.

Linc: Cool. (He drums his fingers on the table, awkwardly) That was some seriously fucked up shit yesterday, huh? I thought Barry was a goner; but Cass said he vanished from the ambulance.

John: Barry is a goner

Butchie: Whaddaya mean?!

(John shrugs)

Linc: Is Barry in I.B, John?

John: (thinking) Barry is in the air.

Butchie: He's doesn't mean...

Linc: I'm not sure...what is Barry doing, John?

John: Getting wet.

Linc: Where?

John: Cincinnati.

Shaun: They have some sick waves.

Butchie: (To Linc) That's all Shaunie fuckin' remembers.

Shaun: I'm stuffed. (He pushes his plate away from him)

John: Linc needs Cass' camera.

Linc: She's probably waiting at the pier for me right now.

John: I like Cass.

Linc: Me too. (He stands up, stretching) She's good at what she does.

(Mitch enters with a bag in hand)

John: Mitch needs a poultice for his knee. Cass should be embarrassed to have to tell you that.

Linc: (turns red, feigning ignorance) What the hell are you talkin' about, John?

John: ?While you, Linc, are signing Cissy, I?m going to try to sell him on moving out of his house for good.?

Cissy: (Overhearing) What the fuck is he talking about?

Linc: Ahh...

Mitch: Yeah, what, Linc??

Linc: (Looking at Butchie) Beats me.

John: (To Mitch) Go do your heavy thinking. And whoever drove you from the hospital can give you a lift.

Cissy: What's he fuckin' getting at?

Mitch: You said that to me.

Cissy: I know that, dumbass: the question is, why the fuck did Mr. Wizard just repeat it? (Looks at Linc) You sent that little slut to seduce my husband, didn't you, you slimy fucking worm?!

Linc: Cissy, listen...

Cissy: (throws a dirty washrag, balled-up, at him) You devious, fucking asshole! (To Shaun) Shaunie, go get your stuff from your room.

(The rag hits Linc on the side of the head with a SLOP)

Shaun: I'll get it later, grams.

Cissy: (Makes eye contact with Shaun) NOW!

Shaun: (Looking to Butchie for confirmation) Do I have to?

Butchie: You better fuckin' do what she says, pal. You don't wanna piss her off anymore today.

(Shaun grudgingly walks into the back)

Mitch: (taking Shaun's seat) Is it true?

Linc: Well, in a sense...

Cissy: (gets in his face) What the fuck does that mean?

Linc: Okay, okay...I'm guilty as fuckin' charged--but that was before any of this weird shit started happening. I'm being honest with you, I promise. It'll never happen again.

Cissy: (Thrusts her hand on his crotch and grabs his package, squeezing) You're damn fucking right it WON'T happen again! (She squeezes harder) Or I'll rip your nuts right the fuck off! (She grips harder, and twists)

Linc: OWW! FUCK!!! Fuck fuck fuuuuuuuuuck! (He struggle to escape her grip) Lemme go! Lemme fuckin' go!

(Mitch grins in approval; Butchie backs away, irrationally concerned he might somehow be next; John leans forward, entertained)

Cissy: (releasing her grip) Are we understood?

Linc: Yes! (takes a breath of relief, holding his crotch, then sinks back into his seat, in agony) Jesus Christ, Cissy! I think you did permanent fucking damage!

Cissy: That's just a taste of what I'll fucking do to you, if you EVER fuck with my family again!! Do you fucking hear me??! (She grabs his left nipple through his shirt and pinches it between her nails)

Linc: SHIT! F-Fuck me!! (He breaks free, nursing his bruised testicles with one hand, and his sore nipple with the other) Underfuckingstood! Now get the fuck away from me! (He scoots his chair out of her reach )

Butchie: Ouch! (to Linc) You okay bro? (He cradles his testicle with empathy)

Linc: Ask me again later. (He takes a deep breath and stands up) So, Mitch, are we still gonna do this?

Mitch: (Laughing) If you think you've learned your lesson...

Linc: Fuck yes! My boys are never gonna forget--or recover. (He hobbles to the door)

Mitch: (Satisfied) Here. (He goes over and helps Linc to the door, then turns to Cissy, Butchie, and John) I guess I'll see you guys down there.

Cissy: Not me. I've gotta go train the fuckin' new guy at the Surf Shack. (She throws a shaka at Linc, playfully) Hang loose, Linc. (She goes in the back, in search of Shaun)

(Mitch and Linc exit the house)

Butchie: (To John) Don't ever fuck with Cissy, bro. (He grabs his crotch protectively and grins)

John: Which isn't exactly fresh news.

--Walkara

(Johnny paddles back over to Barry and sits up on his board)

Johnny: Cool dude, these waves are gonna be perfect for you. Lay down and start paddling, I'm gonna push you in the right direction, Just try to get up on all fours when you feel the board start to fly! (He shoves Barry just as the wave picks him up and builds momentum) All fours B.C.! Gotta learn to crawl before you walk!....

(Barry feels the board lift and pick up speed as the fin draws the back of the board down into the wave. Feeling the stability of the huge board he pushes up on his arms and pulls himself up to his knees. For a few seconds he rides the board with the wave as it speeds up giving him a sudden rush of excitement. When he feels the board wobble a bit he corrects too far to one side and falls off into the water. The board flips upside down and continues on with out him. Barry surfaces again, gasping for air and begins dog paddling in a circle)

Barry: (spitting water and smiling widely) That was... awesome! (he sees Johnny and begins to swim toward him)

Johnny: (points toward the shore) B.C., go get your board!

Barry: (swims back toward the shore and retrieves his board. He paddles back over to Johnny smiling) Surprised as you might be Johnny, I must tell you, I am more so. The experience was invigorating!

Johnny: Dude! Invigorating? You're talking serious strange today. But that's cool, you fell off, and falling is the only way to learn shit! But this time try not to! (he leans down and grabs the back of Barry's board, positioning it in line for the next wave. This time he shoves him off with all the force he can muster. Barry immediately starts paddling. The board picks up speed as the wave rises to over three feet, but this time he jumps up on the board and lands firmly in a crouching position which he manages to hold for several seconds before gradually rising up to stand erect and briefly riding the wave before losing balance and diving off into the surf)

Barry: (Quickly coming up for air he immediately swims to his board, pulls himself back on it, and starts paddling toward Johnny) Did you see that, I stood up?! (Barry is elated and shakes his full head of hair as he sits up on his board next to Johnny) I stood up...

Johnny: (shielding himself from the water coming off Barry's head then raising his arms outstretched into the air) Mudda Kai dude!... (he dances back and forth sitting on his board) Light the spinin' light, Barry's in the house!... (he throws an arm out to one side in a sweeping gesture) The line forms to- the- left!!!!!! (he then reaches into the water and pulls up a large splash of water flinging it high into the air above them) Mud- Da- Kai!!!!

--SpiritontheWater

---------------------------------------

(Still in bed, Tina opens her eyes, and yawns. She rolls over to the side of the bed, picks up the phone, and dials the number written on the Hotel stationary next to the phone)

Voice: Good Morning, thank you for calling The Real Estate King, Southern California's premiere real estate brokerage, how can I help you?

Tina: Yes, I'm interested in buying a home.

Voice: Well, you've called the right place! If you'll please hold for a second, I'll transfer you to one of our agents.

Tina: Actually, I'd like to speak with the owner.

Voice: I'm sorry, but The King is extremely busy--and doesn't have any openings in his schedule. But, I assure you, all of our agents are highly capable individuals, dedicated to helping you find your dream home.

Tina: Umm...okay...whatever.

Voice: I'll transfer you. (She puts Tina on hold)

Waiting music

Erwin Tosh: Hello, This is Erwin Tosh, how can I help you today?

Tina: Yes, I'm looking to buy a house.

Erwin: Well, you've called the right place. We're are Southern California's premiere Real Estate Firm.

Tina: So I've been told...repeatedly.

Erwin: What are you looking for?

Tina: I'm not sure. At least two bedrooms.

Erwin: The location?

Tina: Imperial Beach.

Erwin: Oh. (pause) I'm sorry, I don't operate in that area. Let me connect you to that agent. (Tina is put back on hold)

Another dose of waiting music

Lula: Good Morning! My name is Lula Bench, thank you for calling The Real Estate King's Imperial Beach branch, Southern Cali--

Tina: (Rolls her eyes) "--Fornia's premier Real Estate Firm"? I know. Please don't put me on hold again--I don't think I can take anymore elevator rock.

Lula: I apologize for the wait. We are rather busy these days. There has been a swarm of interest in Imperial Beach Real Estate lately. What can I do for you?

Tina: Well, (She sighs) I'm looking for a house.

Lula: (with zest) How exciting! Why don't we make an appointment, and I'll show you the myriad of choices available to you in beautiful, picturesque Imperial Beach.

Tina: Okay, when?

Lula: At your earliest convenience. This afternoon?

Tina: How about three?

Lula: Perfect! I'll see you then...oh! I didn't get your name.

Tina: ...It's Tina.

Lula: Tina ______?

Tina: Blake. Tina Blake.

Lula: That sounds familiar. Should I recognize the name?

Tina: Maybe...I'm--I was an...actress.

Lula: (shrilly) How wonderful! Were you in anything I might've seen?

Tina: I guess that depends on your tastes. (smirks to herself)

Lula: I LOVE movies! Musicals, romantic comedies, thrillers on Lifetime. I also enjoy ones about vampires.

Tina: Moist Thighs, Pink Buns 3?

Lula: (caught off guard) Excuse me?

Tina: (Matter-of-fact) It's hardcore Porn.

Lula: (gulps) Oh. (Awkward silence) Well...

Tina: I'll see you at three then. (She hangs up, amused)

--Walkara

(Linc stands at the far end of pier, addressing a group of people. Mitch leans against the railing, half-listening, as Linc finishes talking)

Linc: ...All right, any questions?

Jake: (Joining Linc at the head of the crowd) No? Okay, get to work.

(Groups of employees, reporters, and workmen filter off into different areas.)

Cass: (To Emma) I guess that means we're done too.

Emma: Great. Luke and I will cover the beach, and you work the pier. We'll figure out the best spots to shoot from before we go. (She looks at Luke for collaboration)

(Luke nods)

Cass: And you'll take care of the press passes?

Emma: Absolutely. I know exactly who to give them too.

Cass: Thank God. I have no idea about that stuff.

Emma: I suppose I'll talk to you later?

Cass: Sure. Feel free to improvise wherever you feel it's needed. Like I said, this is my first REAL job.

Emma: You could've fooled me. You seem to know what you're doing. (Motions to Linc) He seems to have faith in you.

Cass: Linc? Not really. But thanks for the encouragement.

Emma: Bye. (She and Luke walk away)

(Cass crouches down and rifles through her bag)

Mitch: (approaching Linc, several yards from Cass) So, Linc, what's the plan?

Linc: I just laid it all out.

Mitch: I mean, for me.

Linc: I guess that depends on what you wanna contribute.

Mitch: I've got some ideas...(hesitantly) Hey, I need a private word with you. (He walks over to a secluded corner, followed by Linc, still hobbling slightly)

Linc: (Anxious) What is it?

Mitch: I wanna talk to you about Cass.

Linc: (gulp) Right. (rubs the back of his neck) Shoot.

Mitch: I wanna know what the hell you held over her head to get her to seduce me.

Linc: Look, Mitch, I'm really sorry. I couldn't get the fuck past you on my way to Shaun, so I let the Shark out. It wasn't personal.

(Mitch gives him a look)

Linc: Okay, so it was sorta personal. But it was really about Shaun.

Mitch: I already figured that part out. I wanna know how she got involved. (Mitch nods at Cass, talking to Jake several yards away)

Linc: Umm, well, that's sort of a long story.

Mitch: (impatient) Give me the cliff notes.

Linc: She was a film student, wanted to make surfing docs. I quizzed her about stuff, and your name came up. She said you were her adolescent crush. I mentioned that I knew you--which she was already aware of--and I told her I'd introduce you.

Mitch: And...

Linc: I convinced her to seduce you in exchange for a job.

Mitch: To drive me and Cissy apart. Not that we needed much fuckin' help.

Linc: Yep. (Looks down) I'm an asshole.

Mitch: Reformed though, right?

Linc: I'm tryin', Mitch. It ain't fuckin' easy to turn over a new leaf. But, believe it or not--and I understand if you don't considering our history--I'm here to protect your family now.

Mitch: I believe you. (looks at Cass) So, she was never interested in me? It was all part of her "job"?

Linc: She wouldn't have agreed to do it if she didn't like you, Mitch. But she started having doubts; after you slept with her, she told me she was done, so I fired her.

Mitch: You are one devious fucking asshole.

Linc: I know.

Mitch: Guess I outta be glad to have you on our side.

Linc: I'm glad to be on your side. I'm gonna fuckin' make up for the bullshit with Butchie. No one is gonna fuck with Shaun.

Mitch: Good. Make sure they don't. (Folds his arms)

Linc: That kid has more natural ability, control, and skill than I've ever seen.

Mitch: Better than me or Butchie at his age.

Linc: I know.

Mitch: Fuck off.

Cass: (walks over to them) Am I interrupting? (She looks at Mitch, then quickly away)

Mitch: (awkwardly) Uh, no. Nope. We were just bullshitting.

Cass: Can I steal Linc for a sec?

(Linc looks at Mitch)

Mitch: Please. (He smiles at Cass, remembering her porcelain skin, and small frame in his arms)

Cass: (Uncomfortably) Thanks. (She grabs Linc by the sleeve and pulls him aside)

Mitch: (Leaning against the railing) I'll wait.

--Walkara

--------------------------------

Do no harm

Sven2

(Shaun is sitting on the end of his bed staring into space. Cissy knocks, waits and enters)

Cissy: You got your stuff together?

Shaun: Yeah grams (he points at his backpack).

Cissy: Well, I've gotta go the shop, so you're going with your Dad.

Shaun: Cool.

Cissy: Well it'll be cool when you quit acting like such a little piss pot.

Shaun: (hurt) What?

Cissy: (wondering why she's attacking Shaun) Recently you're reminding me of Butchie at your age.

Shaun: (defiantly) Yeah, well it sounds like that wasn't all his fault.

(Cissy looks at him for a moment, unsure what to do, then walks over and slaps him really hard across the face)

Shaun: (shocked) What the fuck?

Cissy: I told you you'd fuckin' know it when I hit you.

Shaun: But...

Cissy: Don't even open your mouth you fucking idiot. I haven't slaved the last fourteen years to see you turn into a rude little shit like your father.

(Shaun is speechless never having been on the full recieving end of Cissy's wrath)

Shaun: (re-gaining his composure) Fuck you grams; I don't need you any more. I ain't ever coming back (he grabs his backpack and storms out)

(Cissy stands in disbelief, apparently surprised by the turn of events)

Butchie: (seeing Shaun slam the door) What the fuck bro?

Shaun: Can we just go, Dad?

Butchie: Um, okay, what the fuck happened?

Shaun: I don't want to talk about it; gram's being a bitch

John: Cissy dick wank bitch

Butchie: Shut up John.

Butchie: Shouldn't we stay and talk about it?

Shaun: NO DAD! Please, can't we just go.

Butchie: (clearly conflicted) Okay, bud.

(Shaun & Butchie hurry out the door, Shaun with his head down. John follows)

John (to himself): Shaunie busts Cissy's balls!

--backinthegame

----------------------------------

(Erlemeyer walks up to Mitch at the pier)

Erlemeyer: It seems like the tables are turned....

Mitch: What?

Erlemeyer: You not using sex to your advantage!

Mitch: That was a long time a go. What the hell? Were you listening to us?

Erlemeyer: No, just hearing you.

(Mitch is about to speak, but is interrupted by Linc returning with Cass)

--backinthegame

Dickstein: I've gotta go, Jerri. (He parks the car)

Jerri: Fuck you, DICKstein: you called me!

Dickstein: Well, I don't know how to get in touch with Dwayne. (shakes his head) I turned my phone off for 18 hours and chaos ensues! When I heard about Barry, I thought maybe I could dictate another message, like the last time, to see if Barry is okay. (He gets out, switched the phone to his other hand and ear)

Jerri: You are one thick fucking jew, you know that?! Dwayne is just gone: he's missing!

Dickstein: (Closing the car door) When you said he was gone, I thought you meant to the bathroom, or the service station.

Jerri: (sarcastically) No fuckin' shit. (pause) But if you decide to fucking DICKtate another fuckin' message, be sure to fuckin' inquire as to where-the-fuck Dwayne is while you're fuckin' at it. (She hangs up)

Dickstein: Hello? (waits) Helloo? (He looks at his phone) She hung up on me! (To himself) What makes her think Dwayne is missing, and not just sleeping in. (He puts his phone away and walks to the office)

(Inside, Ramon, Freddy, and Palaka sit in silence, with deadly serious looks on their faces)

Dickstein: (entering) I'm here! I'm here! (He looks around, then walks over to Ramon) I just listened to all your messages and rushed over. So, what do you want me to do?

Ramon: This one says he has an idea. (motions to Freddy)

Dickstein: Okay....(He adjusts his glasses) Let's hear it.

Freddy: It's more of a fuckin' theory, really...

Palaka: Me and the boss tailed the shooter's car. The boss thinks he mighta recognized the guy.

Freddy: (Gives Palaka an exasperated look) Would you shut-the-fuck up and let me talk?

Palaka: Sorry, boss.

Freddy: I used to know this guy...a business associate...real fuckin' scumbag, mixed up in all kinds of twisted shit. Anyway, I thought I fuckin' saw him lurkin' around yesterday, following that kid, Shaun's friend. The more I think about it, the more I figure he's the one behind this. (To Meyer) Didn't you say somethin' the other day about property values--and that the quee-Barry--was looking to buy up and renovate the area, and that you was runnin' into all kinds of obstacles?

Dickstein: Yeah...?

Freddy: Well, this guy I knew, he was connected to some real powerful fucks, the kinda fucks that'd be taken up residence in old Naval bases, and buying up cheap real estate in strugglin' areas. Maybe Barry was treadin' on what they figure is their turf. They're preparing for...something. Something bad is gonna happen.

Ramon: Here?

Freddy: Where-the-fuck else, speedy?

Dickstein: If this is true, John's sudden appearance here, his cryptic references--

Palaka: --"The end is near"?!

Dickstein: --Exactly, Palaka--maybe it's no accident that John is in Imperial Beach. Maybe this thing is bigger than the Yosts.

Freddy: Ya think, Perry Mason? (He rolls his eyes)

Dickstein: (Freezes) I've gotta go get something out of my car. Excuse me, gentlemen. (He exits)

(The phone rings)

--Walkara

(After leaving John behind at the Yost house, Butchie and Shaun drive to the beach in the VW VAn)

Playing on the Radio

Butchie: (rubbing his nose) So...are you gonna fuckin' tell me what happened, or should I call gram?

Shaun: Fuck her! (He folds his arms indignantly) I hope she gets hit by a truck!

Butchie: (swats Shaun upside the head, lightly) Don't fuckin' talk like that about your gram, Shaunie; she loves you more than anything in the fuckin' world. (pause) What'd she do to piss you off so bad anyway?

Shaun: (under his breath) Nuthin'.

Butchie: C'mon, sport: out with it. (Butchie puts his right arm around Shaun's seat then sets his left wrist at the 12:00 position on the steering wheel) You'll feel better once you spit it out.

Shaun: She hit me. (He turns away from Butchie) I hate her guts.

Butchie: Fuck. (Awkward silence) What'd you fuckin' do to piss her off so bad??

Shaun: She said I was acting like you used to, so I told her that it was part her fault you got messed up. Then she fuckin' slapped me--HARD--right across the face. See. (He turns to Butchie and points out the red mark, visible but fading from his cheek)

Butchie: (conflicted) Goddamm...(He scratches his head) How'd I miss that? (He pats Shaun on the head) Sorry, I fuckin' smacked your head, bud. (He gives Shaun a remorseful look)

Shaun: (Shrugs) It didn't hurt.

Butchie: (looks at Shaun, making eye contact, then turns his attention back to the road) You can't fuckin' say that shit to grams, Shaunie.

Shaun: What?? Why? After what she did...(He rolls his eyes) She doesn't care if she hurts your feelings, or anyone else's. I hate how she talks to you, dad.

Butchie: Look, Shaun, your grams just doesn't want you to get fucked up. She's a major bitch, but she means well. You gotta be patient with her.

Shaun: How can you say that, after everything?

Butchie: What I told you, about me and grams, that's between me and her. And I'm not fuckin' mad at her. She knows she fucked up, Shaunie. (He leans forward) She can't fuckin' forgive herself--why do you think she's such a ball-buster? She's punishing herself. It was wrong of her to slap you, but you shouldn't've said that. That was the wrong fuckin' button to push. But I guarantee that she's feelin' like total shit right now. She's never hit you before, has she?

Shaun: No. A couple close calls though. Did gram hit you?

Butchie: Yeah, but I had it comin', most of the fuckin' time. (Half-grin) I was a major pain in her balls; druggin', stealin', and other bullshit. Grams did the best she could, buddy.

Shaun: I'm still mad at her. (His eyes glaze) She hurts everyone.

Butchie: (Looks at Shaun through the corner of his eye) Everybody fucks up, Shaunie. You gotta forgive. You can't carry that shit around inside; it'll eat you up: I know.

Shaun: ...I guess, but not until she apologizes and promises not to talk bad about you anymore.

Butchie: (Touched) Good fuckin' luck with that! (He chuckles) She doesn't mean half the shit she says anyway; you know that.

Shaun: I don't care. I'm not forgiving her until she promises to stops calling you "moron".

Butchie: In case you haven't noticed, Shaunie, your old man is a moron. (He grins) Only a fuckin' moron would waste all those years getting high, instead of being your dad. (He shakes his head) Grams has been more of a fuckin' parent to you than I have. She might be a raging bitch most of the time, but she's been there for you when I wasn't. I'll never fuckin' forgive myself for bein' such a shitty dad to you. I wasted so much fuckin' time. (He sighs heavily)

Shaun: It's okay dad. I'm not mad. I know you did your best. (Offers a smile)

Butchie: (feels his heart sink) That's just it, Shaunie: I didn't do my best. I just looked out for myself. I could've been there for you, but I chose not to. I was always too fuckin' high or too fuckin' dopesick...grams covered for me pretty good--making excuses 'cause she didn't wanna hurt your feelings. (Regret tightens in his chest)

Shaun: Don't worry, dad. It's all good (He pats Butchie's shoulder) You're here now.

Butchie: And I ain't fuckin' goin' nowhere, neither. (tousles Shaun's hair)

(They arrive at the beach, gather their gear, and walk to the water)

--Walkara

(John walks back into the Yost house, his head hung with disappointment)

Cissy: (Standing at the kitchen sink, reeling with regret) Huh? (A noise startles her, and she spins around) Oh. It's just you. (She wipes the tears from her face) I thought you fuckin' left with Shaunie and the moron.

John: (looking up at her) Butchie needs to talk to Shaun alone.

Cissy: (turns back around, facing the window over the sink) Oh yeah? (She sniffs, then wipes under her nose with her hand) So, what?, I'm supposed to fuckin' babysit you?

John: Baptize that fuckin' pistol. (He walks up behind her)

Cissy: I already fuckin' did that, John. Remember?? (She looks at him, annoyed)

John: It's not all Butchie's fault. (He leans his head to the side, a looks at Cissy innocently)

Cissy: Jesus! Give me a fuckin' break already! (She walks over and sits at the table)

John: I'll give you a break... (he goes and sits across from her)

Cissy: (to herself) I'm so fucked. (to John) Why am I so fucked up?

John: (Thinking) We're all frail vessels?

Cissy: Yeah? What's the fuckin' point then?

John: "The point" doesn't ring a bell.

Cissy: What the fuck does ring a bell then?

John: My Father rings bells.

Cissy: (Sarcastically) That's helpful. (Looks at the clock) Shit!, I've gotta get down to the shop. (To John) What're you gonna fuckin' do, Starbuck? (She stands up)

John: (smiles) I'm gonna fuckin' eat shit.

Cissy: (smirks, sarcastically) Sounds like fun. You want a lift to the beach?

John: Which is another way of saying, 'yeah, we need time apart.'

(Cissy and John get in the Stingray. She drives him to the beach, drops him off, the heads to
the Surf Shop)

--Walkara

--------------------------------------------

(The Internet café is calm for the moment. Jerry takes the opportunity to make a phone call to Moe's.)

Jerry: Hello Sam. This Jerri Taggart over at the Internet Café. (Pauses to listen) You, fucknut, if I were trying to spy on you, would I be calling you on the fuckin' phone? (Pause) Yeah I know. You aren?t the only that is busy. All I wanted to know was if Dwayne's over there. (Pause) No he is not spying for me. You are such asshole. I need to ask him a fuckin' question about the computers! OK!?! (Pause) Oh fuckin' please then! (Pause) He hasn't been in at all today? (Pause) All right. Thanks. Bye. (Hangs up the phone.) Not over there, won't respond to email, or answer his phone. Where the fuck is he? That harelip asshole better not have gotten himself hurt.

--theshriek

Do no harm

Sven2

(After Barry paddles out and catches another wave Johnny sees him crouch in a perfect stance and ride a four footer in total control of the wave. Barry rides it out to the end and stands throwing his arms up turning back on his board sinking down gracefully into the surf. Barry paddles back over to where Johnny sits on his board. He sees Johnny sitting with his eyes closed and his head tilted to the side smiling)

Johnny: (with his eyes still closed) Barry learned to surf!

Barry: (looking at Johnny) I could do this every day of my life!

Johnny: (opens his eyes and looks at Barry) My Father wants to talk to Barry now.

Barry: (looks to shore) Should we then, go back, now?

Johnny: We should go back now.

(the two of them paddle back to shore and start to walk back up to the camp. Barry imitates Johnny as he pulls his wetsuit down to his waist and drops his board on the sand. They look toward the camp as a bell rings. They watch as campers stream out of their cabins)

Johnny: Meet the fucking Jetsons dude!

Barry: (seeing a mass of kids run across the courtyard and line up at the door of a large building) Where are they all going?

Johnny: Waffles and chile omelets in the mess hall rings a bell!

Barry: Waffles! ...and Chile Omelets?!

(Walking over the bluff, Johnny leads Barry up to the door of a small building with a sign on the door. The sign reads: DAVE)

--SpiritontheWater

(Barry opens the door and steps inside, he looks back and sees Johnny still standing at the bottom of the steps)

Johnny: Pod bay door is open buddy. You're on your own...

(Barry turns back and looks into a darkened room. Cautiously he closes the door behind him and takes a few steps inside. He hears Johnny's voice on the other side of the door)

Johnny: I'll be here when you come back frat boy!

(Barry walks forward and sees a chair facing a desk with a small lamp on it. He sits down)

Dave: (Voice) Mr. Cunningham, Mr. Cunningham, good morning to you sir.

Barry: (looks down and notices that he is no longer in the body of a boy but has returned to being that of his own adult self) Oh my goodness, it seems I am no longer that boy...

Dave: (walks up from behind Barry and presents himself. He shakes hands with Barry before walking around and sitting down behind the desk) Oh, you're still the boy you've always been! Thing you can't understand is there's more than one of you now.. Yeah, I know, makes no damn sense. Shape shiftin' 'll spin your head around every time till you get used to it. Most never do! You just rest your head back in that recliner, close your eyes and this will be over in a jiffy. You won't remember a lick of it 'cept you been shot sure as I got dealerships in twenty five sectors, and other than that, you just learned yourself to surf the four footer and are ready for big, or as we like to say - huge!

(Barry leans his head back against the chair back and closes his eyes. As he does he is seized and paralyzed as a myriad of words and images flow through his mind. Thousands upon thousands of thoughts and experiences explode second after second as his body stiffens and convulses. He is barely able to open his eyes and when he does he sees a blurred glimpses of himself as the boy standing at the door to the room he's in, smiling and waving , closing the door behind him cutting off the light and returning the room to darkness. He see's a light shining brightly over his head and barely makes out faces of people standing over him shouting at each other and calling his name. And the torrent of words and images floods his senses for a full minute until finally the sounds and images begin to fade and his body falls limp into the chair, motionless. Only his chest rises and falls as his breathing slows while he gradually falls to sleep.)

Dave: Like 'em when they got no qualms about it! Experienced this one is. Probably never have a seizure again in his life poor fella! No more lottery numbers for you Mr. Cunningham! (he walks over to the door and opens it. The light streams in and illuminates Barry sitting silently in the recliner. He steps out and closes the door behind him leaving Barry in almost total darkness. Only the lamp on the desk shines dimly on Barry's sleeping form)

(Stepping outside, Dave raises his hand and motions to Johnny and the young Barry, directing them toward the mess hall)

Johnny: (pulls Barry by the sleeve of his wetsuit) Let's eat!

--SpiritontheWater

------------------------------------

(Before entering the mess hall Barry looks at the three large buildings making up the living quarters. The face of each structure is painted differently. He notices a number above the door of the cabin painted with an enormous breaking wave. It's the number Fourteen. Johnny and Barry step into the mess hall to a blare of voices and the clamoring clanging of trays, utensils and benches screeching as they are drug across the floor. They hear a voice over an intercom calling out individual names. The steady monotone list is drowned out by the din of noise.)

Barry: That smells so good! I'm so hungry, I think I'm ready to pass out.

Johnny: Hang in there buddy, it's a long line but the food is worth the wait.

(Barry looks around the mess hall and notices the three long tables are being occupied by kids appearing to segragate themselves by age. At the end of each row the tables are marked with the same numerals he saw on the cabin doors: nine, eleven and fourteen.)

Barry: Boys and girls?

Johnny: Boys and girls dude. Would you want it any other way? (He points to each table) Nine , Eleven, Fourteen. Don't make the mistake of sitting at the wrong table!

Barry: No, I suppose not...We're eleven?

Johnny: Genius strikes again! Smack dab in the middle. (he points at the middle table which is starting to fill, then he points toward someone at the fourteen table) There's Yost!

Barry: Butchie... or Mitch?

Johnny: (looks at Barry and shakes his head) Butchie Senior, remember that, permanent resident. The Big Kahuna around here. And that girl sitting next to him, that's Kai. Mudda Kai to you and I. King and fucking Queen!

--SpiritontheWater

Cut to Hospital

Catch the Wind

(at the nurse's station outside the same room Shaun was in, the head nurse jumps up hearing a monitor in the room she thought was empty, She runs in a finds Barry lying on the bed, his head wound is crudely dressed in bandages soaked with blood. She immediately presses a button sounding an alarm then runs back out and calls out for Dr. Tanner (Brad Dourif), the interim head of neurology)

Dr. Tanner: (quickly walking into Barry's room ahead of several attendants running up the corridor behind him) What's going on, I wasn't aware a new patient had been brought in! (he looks Barry up and down and seeing the state he's in immediately begins to attend to him) What's this man doing in this room, he has had no attention! Nurse!

Head Nurse: I don't know who he is Doctor, this room was empty!

Dr. Tanner: That's ridiculous! (he peels back the loose bandage covering Barry's wound and examines Barry's head) This man's been shot! Get him to emergency (he looks back at the interns and nurses standing in the door way) Now!

(the attendants hurriedly pull Barry's gurney around and out of the room rushing him toward the elevator. Dr. Tanner turns and faces the head nurse)

Dr. Tanner: I'll perform the examination myself, (he shoves the chart he grabbed off the end of Barry's gurney into her hands) and you will explain to me exactly how this has happened! (he turns and jogs down the corridor toward the elevator)

Head Nurse: (stunned, she examines the chart and sees the info page blank except for two lines) Patient name: Barry Cunningham. Primary Care Physician: Dr. Michael Smith. (she walks over and presses the button shutting off the alarm and then the switch silencing the sound emanating from the monitor from which no probes are connected. Suddenly she realizes.) The empty ambulance! (she walks out of the room and sees her top nurse sitting behind the counter) Good you're here, take over while I assist Dr. Tanner. (she walks toward the elevator with the chart in her hand)

(Song thanks to Sven)

--SpiritontheWater

Cut to Mess hall - Camp Cincinnati

(Barry and Johnny sit at table eleven in the very middle, right behind fourteen year olds Butchie senior and Mother Kai who are finishing up their breakfast. A very large boom box sits on the table in front of Butchie Senior)

Barry: (eating) If I didn?t know better, I?d swear I had this exact same meal no more than a few days ago. Delicious! (he is eagerly shoveling mouthfuls of Waffles and Chile Omelte).

Johnny: Ramon learned to surf in Gaviota.

Barry: Gaviota?

Johnny: Just north of Hendry?s in Santa Barbara.

(Butchie senior throws his arms up suddenly, a knife and fork in each of his hands. The room falls silent before everyone joins a whisper of a chant)

Campers: (starts as a whisper and grows in volume) What do you want Butchie Yost!, What do you want Butchie Yost!, What do you want Butchie Yost!, What do you want Butchie Yost.!...

(Barry looks at Johnny who has joined the chanting. Johnny is smiling as are all the others, staring intently at Butchie who maintains the pose, motionless, with his back to them. The chanting continues steadily as Butchie sits, waiting for it to reach a certain volume and intensity. The kids begin pounding their utensils, a knife and fork in each hand, on the tables, to the rhythm of the chant)

Campers: (louder now, banging the tables) What do you want Butchie Yost!, What do you want Butchie Yost! What do you want...

(Fourteen year old Butchie senior presses the play button on the boom box and jumps up on the table spinning around with his arm outstretched as the music begins. He sings along as the music plays)

I Want You

(Butchie points to Kai first and begins his dance slowly down the table. He looks out at the other campers and points at them all. Barry is astounded when Butchie points right at him on the second verse... HE continues to dance seductively writhing and lunging about... Butchie falls to his knees on the table before Kai at ?She?s so Heavy?. He throws his arms out toward her and she laughs shaking her head and puts her hands up covering her face. Butchie tries to pull her up on the table with him but Kai pulls her hands back and remains seated as Butchie continues to dance and sing the song moving from one end of the table to the other and eventually stopping back in the middle. He reaches down and grabs Kai again, this time lifting her up with him. Smiling, she allows him to pull her up and the two of them stand facing each other, he pulls her into his arms and they dance close together as the song continues. They circle around tightly holding each other and slowly begin to levitate. As the final verses play the two of them begin to rise higher into the air, all watch astonished and begin to cheer when they reach the ceiling, As the final chords methodically play Butchie unlatches the large skylight and pushes it open. The two of them pass through the skylight, circling, lips locked in a kiss, up and out of sight.)

Dave: (reaches over and turns the boom box off. He looks around at the campers in the nearly silent room, only muffled whispers and giggles are heard) Well, what are you waiting for!... not ready for Mustangs and El Caminos?...Let the race begin!

(Barry covers his ears as the entire camp erupts in cheers and all at once get up and head for the door. Johnny pulls Barry to his feet as they stumble to join the mass of kids fighting their way through the doors of the mess hall and out into the courtyard, all looking up toward the roof to get a glimpse of The Big Kahuna and Mother Kai. Fifty kids fill the courtyard in front of the mess hall and cheer again as they hear a sound like thunder as Kai and Butchie fly over the roof on their surfboards. In a flash they appear, speeding low over the roof flying down just over everyone?s heads and out toward the ocean. The campers throw up their hands and shout wildly at the sight as they turn as one to run toward the shore. Clouds form in the wake of Butchie and Kai and rain falls from those clouds drenching the elated campers.)

(Barry is speechless, mouth open, witnessing the sight)

Johnny: (out of nowhere pops an umbrella up over Barry and himself as the downpour commences. His eyes follow the couple as they race toward the water) Meet the fucking Jetsons...

Music ?
The Doors - Break on Through

Song suggested by Waxon

--SpiritontheWater

Cut to Hospital

(In the emergency surgery room, Dr. Tanner is busy working over Barry when the head nurse enters)

Head Nurse: How is he doctor?

Dr. Tanner: The bullet grazed his temple but the effects are like nothing I've ever seen (he points to a screen above their heads. An EKG like image of Barry's brain can be seen in an array of colors) His vitals are all within normal (he shakes his head), but his brain is lit up like a Christmas tree! His body is fine, but he appears to be in a coma! (he shakes his head, baffled. He looks up at the screen) He should be... in seizure, but he's not.

Head Nurse: (looks at Barry puzzled, skeptical) How can he have such a slow heart rate and normal blood pressure with brain activity like that?

Dr. Tanner: That is a very good question isn't it? What did you find out?

Head Nurse: He's... Mr. Cunningham.

Dr. Tanner: (irritated) Are you going to make me guess? Is Mr. Cunningham someone I should know?

Head Nurse: He's the man who was supposed to be in Dr. Smith's ambulance doctor.

Dr. Tanner: (stops what he's doing and stands upright) This man is the man that was supposed to be in that ambulance?

Head Nurse: That's right, and Dr. Smith is listed as his primary care physician.

Dr. Tanner: Have you called Dr. Smith?

Head Nurse: He's banned from the hospital, I wasn't sure if you'd want to...

Dr. Tanner: (raises his hand pointing at her) If I gave a shit, and I don't, about every asinine decision this administration makes; bending over for the insurance companies and mentally defective lawyers, I would have been responsible for the deaths of, oh, I'd say, several hundred patients so inclined otherwise... Dr. Smith is the finest neurologist this hospital has ever had the dumb luck of retaining. And their stupidity at replacing him with me is very likely to cost them and these good sick people more than any of us can imagine (he stares at the nurse) Well... get him on the phone and get him over here!

(The Head Nurse exits the room and Dr. Tanner returns to Barry's side. He looks up at the monitor and shakes his head in disbelief)

--SpiritontheWater

Do no harm

Sven2

Barry's series of dreams - #1

(Barry steps out the front door of a large Victorian style mansion. He gasps seeing only ocean in front of him. He takes three steps down from the large porch and notices two legs sticking out from beneath the last step. The legs are bare except for a pair of gold cowboy boots. He squats down and unties his Sperry top-siders and flings them out on to the water. They sprout tiny sails and float away like little boats. He pulls the cowboy boots off the legs, revealing red and white striped ankle socks covering the feet. As he pulls the boots on he sees the legs roll up like party favors and disappear beneath the steps. Sitting back on the step he stretches his legs out admiring the golden boots, clicking the toes together. He smiles turning his face toward the sun)

Barry: There's no place like home, there's no place like home!

(Opening his eyes and shielding them against the sun he sees a seagull approaching over the water, beneath it, in the water, he sees the bobbing head of what looks like a sea lion or a walrus. Barry waves at them. His eyes open wide as behind those two, he sees an enormous blue whale breech and continue to swim toward him. The seagull makes an unsteady landing but manages to perch on the ornate hand railing at the top of the steps)

Lucius: I say, if this is supposed to be bird house, it is sorely lacking in function, not to mention hospitality, a few sardines scattered about would be too much? And I could have impaled myself on those spires up there!

Quinctius: (breaks the surface and raises his head up a few feet from Barry and the bottom step) Don't mind him, a small brain must always be on about something.

Lucius: (Flaps his wings bristling) For all that blubber, one is surprised that your heart remains as cold as it is... as I was saying, I do not think this is a bird house at all, rather a doll house of some sort. And who are you anyway? Where did you come from? Why are you here?

Barry: I'm... not sure

(The blue whale breeches again close to the house and emits a huge spray from it's blow hole soaking all present with the heavy mist)

Lucius: Good Lord, Cincinnatus, must you do that every time you surface. I swear I think you do that just to mask your insecurities. You've nothing to fear from above!

Cincinnatus: Hello everyone, it's good to see you again Barry...

Quinctius: You see Lucius, he's not a stranger, his name is Barry.

Lucius: Well, Barry with the golden boots, that still doesn't tell us...

Cincinnatus: Hush Lucius... I brought him here...

(Barry's attention is drawn to a glimmering golden light at the horizon. As the light grows brighter the others turn and look at it too. In a split second the light streams across the surface toward them. Qunictius ducks beneath the surface as the golden layer winds it's way up to the bottom of the steps forming a twisting yellow path floating on the water)

Lucius: (Flies up from the railing to scout the phenomenon) What's this nonsense now?

(Quinctius and Cincinnatus resurface on either side of the road and raise themselves up to inspect the road)

Quinctius: Well what do you know about that, a yellow brick road, haven't seen one of these in years...

--SpiritontheWater

Do no harm

Sven2

Cut to Clinic

(Dr. Smith is sitting with his head on the desk asleep when the phone rings waking him. He answers)

Dr. Smith: California Free Clinic, Dr. Smith speaking....what? You've got to be kidding me... Joyce is that you?... Hes there?... Yes... of course... I'm on my way...

(Dr. Smith hangs up and dials the Snug Harbor)

Cut to Snug Harbor

Ramon: Snug Harbor... What?... I'll meet you at the hospital, should I bring something? Ok.. (he hangs up and walks past Freddy and Palaka) I've got to go to the hospital, they found Barry!

(As he runs out to get in the truck he sees Meyer Dickstein walking toward the office waving to him)

Meyer: Ramon, I need to talk to you...

Ramon: Get in, they found Barry, he's at the hospital...

(Ramon revs the engine and Meyer climbs in the passenger side, the door slams shut as Ramon hits the gas)

--SpiritontheWater

-----------------------------------------

Barry's series of Dreams - #2

(Barry awakes clutching Teddy in a large bed upstairs in the Victorian. He gets up and goes to the window, which is open. Looking out he sees the lights of Imperial Beach stretching down the hill from the house. In the distance he sees a full moon, it's light glimmering on the ocean. It's shimmering light makes a wavy pathway to the shore. He turns and looks at the other beds in the room and sees Meyer Dickstein in one bed and Ramon in the other, they are peering at him from under the covers. He looks back toward the window and sees Dr. Smith standing there with his arm outstretched toward Barry)

Dr. Smith: Take my hand Barry, we've been called to Neverland, Pan is waiting. (He looks over to Ramon and Meyer who are climbing out of their beds) Come on boys, time to fly!

(Barry takes Dr. Smith's hand and the two of them immediately levitate)

Barry: (Puts his hand out for Meyer and Ramon) Hurry now, you are lost boys too!

(Meyer grabs Barry's hand and Ramon grabs Meyer's, all four lift up off the floor and Dr. Smith turns drawing them up out of the window. In a flash they fly up into the night sky toward the moon)

Ramon: (Just as he exits the window he crosses himself and looks up in prayer) Here we go...

--SpiritontheWater

(In the ocean, Kai is straddling her board, watching Shaun charge waves. Butchie paddles up behind her, then sits on his board next to her)

Butchie: (nodding at Kai) Hey.

Kai: (Eyes fixed ahead) Hey.

Butchie: (runs his hand through his wet hair, slicking it back) He's lookin' pretty fuckin' good, ain't he? (He smiles at her)

Kai: (distracted) Yeah...(she exhales)...he's The Man.

Butchie: (Hesitantly) You okay?

Kai: (rolls her eyes) I'm fine.

Butchie: Okay. (he looks down, cracks his knuckles) You mad?

Kai: (Irritated) No, why would I be mad? (She looks at Butchie, then quickly away before his visage melts her frustration)

Butchie: (Feeling her eyes leave him) I dunno...

Kai: Fuck, Butchie...just spit it out.

Butchie: What?? (His voice cracks)

Kai: Whatever the fuck's on the tip of your tongue. (She shakes her head, frustrated)

Butchie: Jeez...what the fuck's your fuckin' problem?

Kai: (Half-heartedly) You are, at the moment. (She looks him in the eye)

Butchie: (Defensive) What'd I fuckin' do??

Kai: (She sighs away her resolve to torture him) Nuthin'... (She puts a hand on his knee, bobbing under the water) I'm just off today.

Butchie: (puts his hand on hers) Anything I can do?

Kai: (She leans forward, slipping her hand away) No, (She offers him a smile) I've gotta pull myself outta it. (She brings her legs up behind her, puts them on the board, and paddles away toward a gathering wave)

(Butchie resists the urge to follow. Instead, he watches her, a bittersweet grin creeping across his face as she carves up the face then pushes off the lip with a twist, landing perfectly at the base. He sighs with a mixture of pride and dread.)

--Walkara

(Madame Alabaster sits at a round table in a square room, spare of decoration save for a painting of a man with deep-set dark eyes and short black hair, with a manufactured look of purpose of his face. She is typing on a lap top computer)

(There's a knock on the door)

Alabaster: (Firmly) What is it?

Man: (Opening the door, he peers through the crack, smiling nervously) Forgive the intrusion, Madame, but I have something for you. May I come in?

Alabaster: (Closing her laptop) What is it, Martin?

Martin: (A balding man, with a desperate look to him, enters the room, carrying what can only be a bird cage covered by a sheet) After evacuating, Dr. Hearst dropped this off for you. He said you'd be happy. (He sets the cage on the table next to her and removes the cover)

Alabaster: (With delight) A Moluccan Cockatoo!! (She unlatched the door and offers the bird her finger) Good Lord! Where did he find...(She examines the bird to determine it's sex)...her?

Martin: He didn't say. He just told me to take care of it until you arrived.

Alabaster: (Pleased) Very good, Martin. Thank you. (Beaming with pride) She's a beauty.

Martin: I'm just glad you like it. I don't think it likes me. I couldn't get it--her--to eat anything.

Alabaster: (Opening the latch, she slowly puts her hand into the cage) Come here. (The bird perches on her hand, which she then removes from the cage) She's wonderful. (Stroking the bird's feathers) We better find you something to eat. (To Martin) Have a car ready for me in twenty minutes: I'll need to get some bird feed at the pet store.

Martin: Yes, Ma'am. (he leaves the room)

Alabaster: (Putting the bird back into the cage) There you go. (She takes her hand away and latches the door behind it) Welcome to the Collaborative, my pet.

--Walkara

------------------------------------------

(Cass is standing at the far end of the pier, camera in hand, filming Butchie, Shaun, and Kai taking turns charging big pipe. Around her, and down on the beach, work crews are busy setting up various tents and banners for the following day's surfing expo.)

John: (Walks up behind Cass) Hi Cass.

Cass: (caught off guard, she jumps) What?? (She turns around and locks eyes with John) Dammit, John: you shouldn't sneak up on people like that. (She shoves him playfully) Last time you sent me over the railing! ...Remember??

John: A leap of faith. (He grins)

Cass: Baptism and all! (She matches John's smile) I've been saved, I guess. (She laughs)

John: Hallelujah! (he throws his arms up)

Cass: (puts her arm around John) Damn straight!

John: Fuckin' A right! (He brings his arms down, around Cass)

(Cass turns around to face the water. John sidles up next to her and spies Butchie approaching a wave)

John: (Pointing) The beast needs to dump out.

Cass: (Aiming her camera lens at Butchie, gliding across the wave) He looks fine to me.

John: Kai will soon be gone.

Cass: I heard. Lucky bitch. (She laughs) I've always wanted to go to Hawaii.

John: Cass-Kai is born. Ladies night in Oahu.

Cass: (Aiming the camera at Shaun, mounting a wave) These guys are amazing! I hope we get some more great waves tomorrow.

John: We'll get some, Cass. The waves will come. My Father isn't shy about Shaun doing his business. Mitch is the game. Everyone is down with the beast, but Butchie is in the doghouse.

Cass: (to herself) The scary thing is that you're starting to make sense, John.

John: I make sense, Cass. I'm high performance.

Cass: You sure are, John. (She waits for Shaun to land his aerial, then puts the camera to her side and kisses John on the cheek)

John: (Blushing) Trade on your sex, Cass?

Cass: Relax, John. It was just a kiss.

John: I'm much improved.

Cass: (takes Johns arm) That's makes all of us.

--Walkara

(Freddy and Palaka park their rental car on the street, get out and walk across the beach toward the pier)

Freddy: Why the fuck we here again?

Palaka: To spread the word about Barry. and to see if they need any help settin' up, boss.

Freddy: Why the fuck would we do that?

Palaka: (shrugs) 'Cause it's the right thing to do?? (He gives Freddy a pleading look)

Freddy: "The Right Thing," huh? (shakes his head) Whatever....I ain't about to make a fuckin' habit of this shit though. There's plenty we can do that don't fuckin' involve heavy fuckin' liftin'.

Palaka: Like findin' the assholes responsible for shootin' Barry?

Freddy: That...and takin' care of our own fuckin' business. I gotta figure out a goddam way to get some of the fuckin' cash I got squirreled away on the Big Island. You heard back from Moana yet?

Palaka: Nope. (He looks down for a second, then back up at Freddy) You 'spose he's still in cahoots with the Chinaman?

Freddy: Not fuckin' likely, but he's been pretty fuckin' scarce, considerin' he don't know nobody around here 'cept us. (to himself) What the fuck is he doin'?

Palaka: The other day he said he'd been thinkin' 'bout professional wrestling.

Freddy: Wrestling?? You mean those queers in tights and makeup--that fake shit? Gimmie a fuckin' break!

Palaka: Umm....actually, boss, it's choreographed--not fake. (He shrinks away from Freddy, anticipating a fist)

Freddy: "Chor-e-o-graphed," huh? (Amused) You must be proud of yourself for usin' a ten dollar word.

Palaka: "A ten dollar word"? Whaddaya mean, boss?

Freddy: Never fuckin' mind. (Freddy slows his pace, as they near the pier)

Palaka: (following suit) Anyway, maybe he joined up with them Mexican wrestlers.

Freddy: (Annoyed) What-the-fuck-ever. Just find him.

Palaka: Right now? What about helpin' out?

Freddy: (Rolls his eyes) Forget it, you mope: after we're done here, I want you to track him down. (To himself) I'm drowining in fuckin' morons!

Palaka: What're you gonna do, Boss? (He looks at Freddy)

Freddy: I'm gonna do some more reconnaissance over at that fuckin' base, see if I can figure what the fuck is goin' on.

Palaka: (Concerned) Ahem....ah....umm, boss....?

Freddy: What the fuck is it?

Palaka: Ah...d'you think that's a good idea, prowlin' around that place all by your lonesome?

Freddy: I've crawled around in much deeper shit. I ain't fuckin' scared.

Palaka: Me neither. (He flinches)

Palaka: (Spotting John and Cass, walking their way) Hey, there's the shapeshifter! (He points)

Freddy: (Meeting eyes with John) What the fuck are you up to, Spock?

John: Cass' Camera.

Cass: We're making sure we have all the angles covered for tomorrow. (She smiles at Freddy, unassumingly) What about you guys?

Palaka: Barry's back at the hospital. Doc called. The Mexican and Jew are over there with him.

Cass: Thank God.

John: Barry surfs!

Freddy: What the fuck're you talkin' about? The homo caught a bullet in his fuckin' head! He ain't gonna be surfing any time soon. You got some more fuckin' tricks up yer goddam sleeve, or somethin'?

John: I've got more tricks. (He looks at Cass)

Cass: (rhetorically) What else is new?

John: I don't know Butchie instead.

(Cass shakes her head, affectionately)

Palaka: You want I should go find the Hawaiian now, boss?

Freddy: Yeah, please: get the fuck outta my hair.

Palaka: (struggling to suppress himself) There ain't much there. (He looks at Freddy's balding head)

Freddy: Get the fuck outta here, 'fore I beat yer ass.

Palaka: See ya, Boss. Bye, Blondie. Later, John. (he turns to leave)

John: Lucha Libre! (He raises his arms, posturing like a wrestler before a match)

Freddy: Fuckin' Shapeshifter...

--Walkara

Do no harm

Sven2

Barry's series of dreams #3

(Barry awakens in his car. Teddy is strapped securely in the passenger seat. A storm is pouring rain upon the windshield, squinting his eyes he sees a light in the distance. All is black except the light which flashes and then disappears. He unfastens Teddy's seatbelt and gets out of the car. The rain pours on his face and starts to soak Teddy but Barry pulls out a newspaper, the headlines read "Mega Millions winner Found!" He folds it and puts it over Teddy's head to shield him from the downpour)

Barry: (Barry points to a large dilapidated Victorian home) Look Teddy, we'll be safe now, there's a light!

Teddy: (looks up from beneath the newspaper as a flash of lightning illuminates the home)

There's a Light, Rocky Picture Horror Show
YouTube

--SpiritontheWater

(Cissy is training her new employee, Jason.)

Cissy: We obviously don't keep a lot of stock in the back because of the size of the place.

Jason: It's the Surf Shack not the Surf Warehouse. Right? (Smiles)

Cissy: Something like that. Let's see we went over the cash register and restocking. I can?t think of anything else right now. Do you have any questions?

Jason: Not right now, but I will be sure to ask if I do Ms. Yost.

Cissy: Just call me Cissy.

Jason: OK. Cissy. What do you want me to tackle first?

Cissy: Well I think?(Telephone rings)?Just a sec. Hey Jerry... You lost that fucker again?!.... No I haven't. ....OK I will ask him. Hang on.

Cissy: (To Jason]) It's Jerri at the Internet Café across the street, and she said that Dwayne hasn't been in there all day. Have you seen or talked to him this morning?

Jason: (Looking surprised) Dwayne works in this area?

Cissy: He usually has his ass sitting at one of the computers over there. He never told you? I thought you guys were close.

Jason: (Still looking surprised) We are....Yes we are, but he never told me exactly where he worked. I knew he was a techno geek, but I didn't even realize that it was in Imperial Beach.

Cissy: So you haven't heard from him today.

Jason: No we were chatting online last night. Told him about starting here this morning and thanked for his help. He never said a word.

Cissy: (To Jerri on the phone) He doesn't have a fuckin' clue either..... OK. Bye.

Jason: (To himself, looking troubled and disappointed) I don't understand. Why didn't he tell me?

--theshriek

(Mitch and Linc are standing at the far end of the pier. A large moving truck drives in reverse, slowly, down the pier. Linc guides it with his hands, raising his palms when it nears the railed edge.)

Mitch: (arms folded) You're gonna set the sound system up right here?

Linc: Why not? (He shrugs)

Mitch: Because this is a prime spot for spectators--and you're crowding it with sound equipment.

Linc: Mostly speakers. We're gonna 'em scattered all over the area.

Mitch: (Annoyed) What for? It's a surfing expo, not a rock concert. Man's communion with the ocean should be entertainment enough. This is all bullshit frills.

Linc: It's just music, Mitch. Butchie, Shaun, and Kai want it to be loud enough to hear out on the water. They're thinking about working out a routine or something. Everybody likes music.

Mitch: We have different ideas about what music is, Linc--that shit Butchie tries to give himself whiplash to makes me crazy. "A routine"??--what are they, cheerleaders??! It's disrespectful, to drown out the sound of the waves crashing and gulls calling with some dipshit screaming his lungs out over God knows what.

Linc: I thought I was gettin' old...(He half-grins at Mitch)

Mitch: (Amused) Go fuck yourself. (He turns around and spies Shaun ride a wave)

Linc: (to a group of workmen, mostly Latino, gathering around the parked moving truck) All right, guys: let's get this stuff in place. I want those two massive speakers up front, and the six large ones arranged down the way, three on each side. There's black X's on the walkway, marking where each goes. Just put 'em in place and Wonderboy'll deal with the electrical bullshit.

(The workers nod and get to work, moving the speakers from the truck to their appointed places)

Mitch: (Still watching Shaun) That kid's got it. He's gonna change this sport.

Linc: (Turning around) Yeah...(he puts his hands in his pockets) he's the real deal. Considering everything that's happened, I don't think it's crazy to think the kid could change the whole damn world.

(Mitch doubts Linc's comment, but remains silent; the concept of his grandson, however special, affecting things on a global scale seems incomprehensible, laughable even, but Mitch can't totally dismiss the possibility from his mind)

Linc: So, did you figure out what you wanted to do, to personalize this thing?

Mitch: I think so...I sent Erlemeyer to go pick something up.

Linc: That old dude I saw you talkin' to? He looked familiar.

Mitch: He's a friend from way back.

Linc: What's he getting?

Mitch: A mutual friend carves these giant Tiki statues. He has this really beautiful twenty foot rendering of Kanaloa, ruler of the Oceans. We're gonna make a shrine over by Surfhenge, and give the guy's work some exposure while we're at it.

Linc: (insouciantly) Whatever you want...

Mitch: (irritated by Linc's disinterest) Listen up, Dracula: surfing isn't just a sport--it's not just something we do: it's something we live. It's not just a way of life; it's Life itself. It's a rhythm, finding harmony with the natural world. We have to honor that, if I'm gonna be a part of this. Fuck the frills! Fuck logo's on T-shirts. Fuck hipsters. Fuck the image!

Linc: (clearing his throat) I hear you, but aren't 'tiki gods' part of the "image" of surfing?

Mitch: (gives Linc an exasperated look) You know nothing. (He shakes his head)

Linc: So I've heard...(He grins)...but I made a fortune by selling "image"--and I can tell you that people respond to how you frame things as much as to what you're framing.

Mitch: Well, we're not doing that anymore. Fuck marketing!

Linc: That's impossible, Mitch. We need marketing to finance the events. We need the exposure to spread the message.

Mitch: Message? What message?

Linc: Your message.

Mitch: ...Which is??

Linc: Don't you know?

Mitch: I don't know what you're talking about.

Linc: Yeah, you do. You're the one in charge of crafting the message now, Mitch. I'm just here to translate it in terms business and exposure.

Mitch: There is no message...just the poetry of surfing.

Linc: Then it's our job to explain the metaphors. We're always gonna be selling something; the idea is that now you're selling an ideology.

MItch: The hell I am! ...I hate that shit.

Linc: Too fuckin' bad, Mitch. You're a salesman too now. The point is that you can sell them ideas about the environment, and the world.

Mitch: People don't give a shit about what public figures or "personalities" think about world issues. In fact, they resent it. People don't want to be told what to think.

Linc: So don't tell 'em what to think...just tell 'em the truth as you see it and let them make up their own minds. I know people and I know how to sell 'em--I spent my whole life doing it--and they like to be engaged as equals, not talked down to or reprimanded. It just takes a little finesse. I can give you some pointers, if you want.

Mitch: (torn) I'll pass.

Linc: Suit yourself. But remember: it ain't like you've gotta give a sermon every time someone sticks a camera in your face. Just do what feels natural. Actions usually speak louder than words anyway, and we're helping some really great organizations out with this. Tell 'em that. We just need you to be a sort of figure head. People respect your integrity. Let them respond to that instead of self-righteousness. It's a fine line, but you can pull it off. Just don't let your emotion about these issues run away with you.

Mitch: That almost sounded human? Condescending as hell, but almost human. When did you pull your head outta your ass?

Linc: Is that what happened? (He laughs) I thought the air seemed fresher.

Mitch: This is too much pressure. Why does it have to be me?

Linc: Who do you suggest? Cissy? Butchie??

Mitch: Good point.

--Walkara

(Bill's truck is parked at the beach. He sits inside, leafing through a copy of True Blue, occasionally raising his eyes to scan the crowd for a glimpser of John. Zippy is caged in the passenger seat)

Bill: (tossing the paperback book on the dash) Any sign, Zip?

(Zippy shakes his head)

Bill: Hey wait...(He leans forward, pointing) Isn't that him, over there, with the little blond?

(Zippy reminds Bill that he can't see anything from inside his cage)

Bill: Yep, that's him! (Bill exits the truck, slamming the door behind him) Shit! (He goes back to the truck, opens the door, takes Zippy from his cage and sets him on his shoulder then walks to Cass and John, who are walking down the beach in his direction)

Cass: (To John) There he is. (She nods at Bill, approaching them)

John: Bill's eye on me.

Bill: (overheated) Just the fuck I've been lookin' for. (He looks at Cass apologetically) Pardon my French. (He puts a hand on John's shoulder) I need your help, kid.

Cass: He's been looking for you too.

John: Her ladyship is gone. (He tilts his head) Zippy came back. Bill won't soon forget.

Bill: No shit, space cadet: any idea where to start looking?

John: (thinks) Birdseed.

Bill: What the hell's that 'sposed to mean? (Puts his hands on his hips)

John: Zippy needs variety. (He runs a finger down the parrot's back)

Bill: Well he can goddam wait! We're on a mission! Her Ladyship was an anniversary gift from my Lo!

(Zippy suggests to Bill that perhaps John's mention of "birdseed" is a clue)

Bill: Yeah? What the fuck does it mean then, Einstein? Huh?

(Zippy flaps his wings with frustration but says nothing)

Cass: Maybe he's directing you to the feed store...or the pet store. Have you checked to see if any of those places have seen your bird?

Bill: Hell yes! (rubs his forehead) Whaddaya think I am? Some kind of idiot?

Cass: Um, no...sorry...I was just tryin' to help...

Bill: Sorry to bite your head off, Miss. It's been one of those days.

Cass: I understand.

John: Bill is some kind of idiot. Whaddaya think?

Bill: Put a sock in it, See-and-Say.

John: No more parrot talk.

Bill: Yeah, right. (He puts his hands in his pockets) I called around town and asked already, but maybe I should go check in person. Fuckin' clerks these days: a bunch of punk-ass teenagers too goddam busy snorting pills through their fuckin' pierced noses to help a damn customer out! (He offers Cass a half-smile) Guess we'll go canvas the pet stores in person then. (he turns to go) Hey, you two see that fuckin' Hawaiian?

Cass: Hawaiian?

Bill: The mope with the fuckin' smashed face and the goon that follows him around?

John: Bowser from Sha-na-na.

Cass: You mean, Steady Freddy?

Bill: (Snorts) That's what he calls himself? (Chuckles) Fuckin' druggies!

Cass: He said he was going to do some "recon" at the Silver Strand facility.

Bill: Jesus Christ! What's that asshole up to now?

John: Freddy's the muscle.

Bill: Yeah? Until he gets his dumbass head blown off for trespassing on Government property.

Cass: Something strange is going on over there though. John took me there the other day--and there were all these soldiers in strange fatigues training. There were squads in scuba gear too.

Bill: Guess I'll leave it to him then. Any word on the queer?

John: Barry's goofy foot.

Cass: He's back at the hospital now. They lost him for awhile. We haven't heard whether he's conscious or if there's any permanent damage yet.

Bill: All right then. Tell someone to give me a goddam call when he comes to--I've got some questions for him. I'll see you two later. (He turns and walks back to his truck)

John: Bill finds birds of a feather.

Cass: Bye. (She turns to John) What should we do now? Between Emma, Linc, and Jake, I think everything else is covered. Now what?

John: (cocks his head, listening ) My Father took the day off.

Cass: Oh yeah? Is it a "on the seventh day he rested" sort of thing?

John: (Shrugs) No, Cass. A Car show.

Cass: Oh. (pleased) Where's it at?

John: (thinking) Cincinnati.

Cass: I'm guessing you're not talking about Ohio.

John: ?With God, all things are possible?

Cass: (Sarcastically) Thanks for the clarification, John.

(She takes John hand, and they wander aimlessly down the beach)

--Walkara

Do no harm

Sven2

(Madame Alabaster walks purposefully down a long hallway, a bird cage extended before her, containing a white parrot. She reaches the exit, where a black limo is waiting for her)

Alabaster: (To the attendant) No way. Get me another car. I'm not riding in that thing. Too high profile.

Attendant: Sorry, Ma'am, the other car is getting blood cleaned off it.

Alabaster: (vexed) Very well. (She waits for him to open the door and gets inside, setting the cage between she and Martin, the office manager, sitting in the other seat) Oh. Martin. Decided to join us?

Martin: I need to get some feed for the other animals. The General recommended that we exterminate them all, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Maybe we can find them homes.

(The car pulls away with Martin and Alabaster in the back seat)

Alabaster: Homes?? You've got to be kidding me! The Collaborative is on a mission of unparalleled importance: we don't have time to play animal adoption agency! I understand where you're coming from, Martin--I've always preferred pets to people--but the occasion demands that we put aside our own designs for the greater good of humanity.

Martin: But...what are we to do with all of them? There's two dozen birds--two more parrots--fifteen dogs, twenty-five cats, several cages of rats and rabbits, and assorted marine life. We can't just dispose of them all! Perhaps we can turn them over to the humane society...

Alabaster: That's no good: those organizations will want to know where the animals came from. We can't risk the questions. Also, I'm to understand Dr. Hearst performed various experiments on these animals. They've been altered. (Thinking) I dislike the idea of disposing of them as well, but we can't just hand them over.

Martin: What are we to do then?

Alabaster: We'll get feed for now, and I'll charge you with the animals care until I think of something else. It may come to extermination though. This day is proving to be most stressful: this leg of the Plan is running behind schedule; the facility has been horribly mismanaged, leaving me more clean-up than I can possibly do before my flight this evening; My brother is missing; that dolt Mahogany broke anonymity in front of the driver, resulting in his silencing; and now we've got a room full of test animals!

Martin: Thank God you're here, Madam.

Alabaster: God has nothing to do with it. If there was ever a God--and I don't believe there was--he washed his hands of this world long ago. No, Martin, it's up to the Collaborative to set this world straight.

--Walkara

(Shaun, dripping wet, walks down the pier toward Linc with a CD case in hand)

Linc: (Spying Shaun) What's up, bud? (He puts his hand on Shaun's shoulder)

Shaun: (holding out the CD case) My dad wants you to blast this.

Linc: (removes his hand from Shaun's shoulder and takes it) What is it?

Shaun: A mix Kai made for him.

Linc: Oh. (He slips the case into his back pocket) I'll put it on as soon as the sound system is ready to go.

Wonderboy: (Walks up behind Linc, a scornful look on his face) It's ready.

Shaun: Kick ass! (He turns to go) Thanks, Linc.

Linc: Don't mention it, bud. (He takes the CD case from his pocket and hands it to Wonderboy) Go crank this up.

Wonderboy: Do it yourself. (He pushes past Linc) I don't work for you. (He walks hatefully down the pier, to where Jake is talking to a couple of the Stinkweed girls)

Linc: (calling after him) Go fuck yourself, wonder-douche. (He walks over to the control center and slips the CD into the tray, closes it and pushes play.)

--Walkara

(Butchie crouches, approaching the wave; his feet planted firmly on his board. He feels the current running underneath him, and gets into position when he hits the crest, cutting across it)

Butchie: Fuck Yeah! It's my song!

(Butchie shifts his weight back and forth, carving to the rhythm of the guitar, gathering speed. When the singer's voice surfaces, he launches off the wave and twists into an aerial. His board splashes against the ocean, his feet firmly planted. Building momentum, he cuts across the glassy ripples with ease, propelled by the music. He reverses himself and heads back out to the next swelling wave, sent all the way from the southern hemisphere just for him. He paddles out with resolve and force, jumping up just in time to fly up the face. At it's crest, he pushes off it, busts a back-flip, and lands in another splash. Butchie lets the wave drive him for a few moments, then shifts his weight and turns back to do some more cutting. Speeding across the buoyant surface, he's overcome with a sense of freedom, of happiness. Contentment. He casts an eye to where his kid and his girl are sitting on their boards cheering him on. Kai throws her hands up in the air, screaming praise despite her anger.)

Kai: Hell yeah!

Shaun: Tear it up, dad!!

(Their screams are drowned out by the music, but their visible cheers hearten Butchie. He pushes his board, swiveling his hips to gather momentum. He hops a small wave, catching air, one hand on his board, the other up in the air like a bull rider. Here, in this moment, everything is clear. His life suddenly makes sense. He was living it, instead of it living him. He feels purpose, maybe for the first time. Salty water drips down his face, mixing with sweat from his brow. He tastes the salt on his lips, and takes a joyful, self satisfied breath. 'This is it' he thinks, 'the fuckin' point'. As he gets down to paddle out to the next gathering wave, he turns back and looks at the two most important people in his life straddling their boards in the distance, supporting him. He grins to himself, and mounts his board just in time to disappear under the tunnel of a large wave. Inside, breathing the mist, he pushes forward with his back foot, gathering more speed, bursting out the other side, then quickly carving up the diminishing face, kicking off with a trademark aerial. His board hits the water awkwardly, knocking him off and under the water)

Shaun: Oohh...wipe-out!

Kai: Dusted! (She peels her eyes to make sure he resurfaces before continuing the shit-talk.)

Shaun: I'm gonna charge that next one, okay? (he points to another swell on the horizon)

Kai: (scanning the waves for Butchie) Okay, Shaunie. (She spots Butchie, grabbing his board a quarter-mile away and paddling toward them)

(Shaun paddles off as Butchie gets closer)

Kai: (to Butchie, barely in hearing range) NICE ONE!

Butchie: (paddling) WHAT?!

Kai: NICE ONE!!!

Butchie: (closing in) Yeah, I almost had that landed, but I lost my fuckin' footing.

Kai: I would've landed it. (She grins at him, competitively)

Butchie: (Paddling up next to her) Oh yeah? Care to put your fuckin' money where your fuckin' mouth is?

Kai: What money? (She laughs) Cissy paid me shit.

Butchie: True story. She's a cheap fucker. (He puts his hand on Kai's cheek) Hell, let's make another kind of wager then.

Kai: I'm sure you've gotta win-win scenario already figured out.

Butchie: Damn straight! If you land it, then I owe you hot sex.

Kai: How selfless. (Amused) And if I don't?

Butchie: Then you owe me hot sex.

Kai: Of course. How'd I not see that one coming?

Butchie: We got a deal or what? (He raises his eye brows flirtatiously)

Kai: I got a better idea: If I land it, then you've gotta be my bitch for the rest on the day.

Butchie: Your bitch? What the fuck does that mean?

Kai: You have to do everything I say.

Butchie: Interesting, but I know your dirty mind: who knows what kind of perverted shit you'll come up with? I like my idea better.

Kai: If I don't land it, then I'll be your bitch for the rest of the day.

Butchie: (Nodding) Deal.

--Walkara

(Butchie drags his feet behind Kai and Shaunie as they walk to their vehicles, boards in hand.)

Shaun: Hey, dad...?

Butchie: Yeah?

Shaun: I need to get my shit from grams.

Butchie: No problemo. (he looks at Kai) Is that cool with you?

Kai: Of course (laughs) The power hasn't gone to my head--yet.

Butchie: You comin'? (He opens the van and puts his board in the back, then takes Shaun's board and puts it next to his)

Kai: I'll pass. I'm gonna hit the shower.

Butchie: And miss a chance to hear Cissy scream?

Kai: Tempting...(She goes over and gets in her jeep) but I'll meet you at the motel in an hour...bitch. (She grins, starts her jeep and pulls out of the parking area)

Butchie: Yessir, boss. (He salutes her as she drives away)

Shaun: (Getting in the van) She smoked you, pop.

Butchie: Yeah she did... (He gets in the van) ...this time. (He starts the jeep, reminds Shaun to puts on his seatbelt, and waits for him to comply before driving away)

--Walkara

(Butchie pulls up at the end of Cissy's driveway)

Butchie: (Seeing Cissy's car) Shit. Looks like my ma's here. She must have stopped back for lunch.

(Shaun says nothing; he appears lost in thought)

Butchie: Look bro, I can go in and get your stuff if you want (he tousles Shaun's hair)

Shaun: (looking up at him) Is okay dad. I'm cool. (Shaun hops out of the car)

(Cissy is sitting at the kitchen table smoking a cigarette, an empty plate in front of her. Shaun walks to the front door, pauses, then opens it and comes in. Cissy looks up but says nothing)

Shaun: I came by to pick up my stuff.

Cissy: It's on your bed (she waves towards his bedroom, and looks down at the table, stubbing out her cigarette)

(Shaun heads towards the bedroom, but stops by Cissy)

Shaun: (after a long pause) I'm sorry I've been fuckin' up.

Cissy: (looking up, a weight seemingly lifted) It's okay.

Shaun: I was doing that stuff because I was all pissed off. But my dad talked to me about it, told me not to let it eat me up, told me to let go and be myself.

Cissy: I guess he's not a total idiot then.

Shaun: Look, I love you grams, but he's my dad and I love him too. You calling him names may not hurt him any more, but it hurts me.

Cissy: (taking Shaun's arm, and turning to look him in the eyes) I never meant to hurt you.

Cissy: I was just trying to protect you.

Cissy: (starting to sob, she looks down again) I never meant to hurt him... I was so fucked up...

Shaun: (reaches in to hug her) I know grams. It's OK.

Cissy: I love you Shaunie.

Shaun: I know. I love you too. (he stands back up)

Cissy: (wiping tears from her eyes, she composes herself) Go get your stuff. Go be with Butchie.

Shaun: (A wide smile spreads across his face) Okay grams (he walks to his bedroom, get's his stuff and heads out the back door)

Cissy: (to herself as Shaun's already left the room) And tell him I love him too. (she starts to sob again)

--backinthegame

(Adam skates up to the snug harbor, and finds it deserted. He skates to Butchie's cabin and knocks on the door)

Adam: Shaun?

(There is no answer, so he opens the unlocked door and peers inside. Finding no one there, he heads over to the office which is deserted and open too.

He places his skateboard on the counter and walks behind, looking up at the keys. He fingers through them, and turns one over to read the label. It says "bar". He smiles to himself and pockets the key.

Looking under the counter he finds some bottles left over from the party the night before, and selects some whiskey and rum and heads out towards the bar, bottles in hand.

He unlocks the bar, walks inside, turns on the light, and smiles to himself. He sets the alcohol behind the bar, then heads back to the door, shuts off the light and locks up.

He runs back to the office, grabs his skateboard, and skates off with a purposeful look on his face.)

--backinthegame

(Shaun throws his stuff in the back of the van, and climbs back in the passenger seat)

Butchie: (looking over, grinning) So is your face in one piece this time? Balls OK?

Shaun: Yeah dad, it's cool.

(Butchie starts the van, and heads towards the motel)

Butchie: So you made up with your grams?

Shaun: Sort of, I guess.

Butchie: Well what did you say?

Shaun: I dunno. I just listened to what you said earlier, you were right. There's no point fighting her, she doesn't mean to be mean.

Butchie: (grinning) Well of course I was right! (he pauses, concentrating on the road)

Butchie: (looking over at Shaun and beaming with pride) Well fuck me, Mr. Junior U.N.!

--backinthegame

----------------------------------------------

(Bill walks into the pet store and approaches the counter, where an attractive middle-aged woman with her hair tightly pulled up, is waiting for an employee.)

Alabaster: (sighs) Can I get some help here? (She folds her arms impatiently)

Voice: (unseen) I'll be there shortly.

Alabaster: Hurry!

Bill: This generation doesn't know the meaning of customer service.

Alabaster: That's the truth...I've been standing here for fifteen minutes, waiting for that little snot to assist me.

Bill: Yes ma'am, this country's goin' straight to hell.

Alabaster: (turning to face Bill) Yes, it is. There's no decency left.

Bill: (nodding his head) Everybody is too goddam busy fornicating and talking about their goddam feelings.

Alabaster: (impressed) Well, not everyone...

Bill: (Charmed, extends his hand) The name's Bill. Bill Jacks, retired officer of the law

Alabaster: (blushing slightly, accepts his hand) Pleased to meet you. I'm Gloria. (She gives her real name without pause or hesitation)

Bill: What brings you to this shit-hole, excuse my language?

Alabaster: No pardon necessary: this place is a shit-hole. (She smiles icily) I recently acquired a Moluccan cockatoo.

Bill: A Moluccan?? Those are endangered, aren't they?

Alabaster: Yes.

Bill: Where'd you get it?

Alabaster: I work with an animal rescue organization. We discovered a lab performing illegal experiments on animals. We cleared it out, but now I'm up to my ears in animals and I've nothing do do with them all.

Bill: (Wide-eyed) No shit??! My parrot was stolen a few days ago--right outta my goddam truck, no less! Any chance you found another parrot--a white one?

Alabaster: As a matter of fact, my assistant mentioned that there were two more parrots rescued from the lab.

Bill: Serious?? Where can I go find out if the bird's mine?

Alabaster: Would you like to have dinner tonight?

Bill: (Looks at his wedding ring) Uh...

Alabaster: (Notices Bill's ring) I apologize. I didn't realize that you were married.

Bill: I'm a widower.

Alabaster: I'm sorry. (Pause) Today is my annivorcery.

Bill: Huh?

Alabaster: The anniversary of my divorce. Good riddance!

Bill: Oh. (pause) You know, I don't see why we shouldn't have dinner. I accept your invitation.

Alabaster: It's a date. Now, is there a decent place to eat in this town?

Bill: I know where we can get some good BBQ--except I'm not sure it's on for tonight. The host was gunned down last night; he's recovering in the hospital.

Alabaster: Why don't we just meet at the Imperial Beach Hotel at 8. I'll bring the parrots with me, so you can see if one of them belongs to you.

Bill: That sounds just fine. (He bows his head) Thank you, Gloria. It was a pleasure. (He takes her hand and shakes it affectionately) I'll see you later. (He exits the pet store.)

Clerk: (Appearing from behind a door marker 'Employee's Only') What can I do for you, ma'am?

Alabaster: I'll take a bag of your finest birdseed.

Clerk: It's all pretty much the same.

Alabaster: Very well. Hurry up and get it ready then so I can get out of this foul-smelling place. (To herself) I've got to cancel my travel plans.

--Walkara

Do no harm

Sven2

(Dr. Tanner draws the curtain around Barry's bed and leaves the room closing the door behind him. He stands watch at the counter busying himself with Barry's file in which he writes nothing. Behind the curtain Dr. Smith stands with Meyer and Ramon. Dr. Smith holds Barry' s hand and all three stare at Barry lying in the bed. They watch his chest rise and fall in sync with the steady rhythmic beeps and pulses emitted by the monitors surrounding the Gurney)

Ramon: Hello Barry, it's Ramon, from the Motel... I brought you these flowers (he holds up a small bouquet from the hospital florist and sets them on the ledge under the window)

Meyer: And Meyer Dickstein too! ... Your interests are being attended to, during your brief sojourn.

Dr. Smith: (squeezes Barry's hand) Friends.. keeping watch as you slumber.

(Outside the curtain John stands listening, with a quizzical look on his face)

John: Barry is coming nine eleven fourteen.

Dr. Smith: (pulls back the curtain enough so all three see John) Have you come to see Shaun...Barry?

John: There's no place like home.

--SpiritontheWater

Barry's series of Dreams #1 point 2

(Barry is propelled along the yellow brick road by an unknown force. His gold cowboy boots trail sparks from the heels as he glides along the twisting road floating on the Sea. He looks from side to side and sees the seagull, the seal and the whale keeping pace by their various undulating motions. Cincinnatus releases an enormous plume of mist above him as he surfaces. Barry comes to a stop with the others at what looks like the end of the road. Looking up, they see before them an emerald green altar. Two tall pillars flank a large polished rectangular center stone. Flames burn atop the pillars and smoke rises from the center slab. The body of a boy, clad only in a pair of red board shorts, lays motionless on the slab. A large column of smoke erupts from around the boy as the sound of rushing wind, like a breath suddenly drawn in, fills the air. A giant head appears in the smoke above the body. It is the head of Shaun Yost, wearing an over-sized brown cap, his eyes red and half closed. His blond hair wafts in the billowing smoke as he opens his mouth and releases a large white cannabis cloud into the air, completely engulfing Barry. Shaun looks around slowly, seeing Barry's companions on either side, then he looks back to Barry who is smiling, overcome by the smoke)

Shaun: (slowly in a loud, echoing, friendly voice) How's it goin' ?

--SpiritontheWater

Barry's dream 1.2 con't...

Barry: (coughing and waving his hands to clear the smoke) Going? I guess it's going fine young Shaun... I was expecting the wizard however...

Lucius: Yes sir, a wizard was most definitely expected, not a pot smoking youth of doubtless incorrigibility!

Quinctius: Watch it you fool bird, that's the woman's son! Have you forgotten her already?

Lucius: What are you talking about? This boy has got a very big head indeed to be thinking he can just go blowing white clouds everywhere, and on anybody he so chooses. Disrespectful in every way! And the nerve of anyone building an altar to one such as that. I can not understand it for one minute! (he flies up and begins to circle)

Shaun: Watch it dude, you won't be the first annoying seagull I nailed with a rock! (a rock flies out from the cloud and barely misses Lucius)

Lucius: (Flapping wildly to get out of the way) Incorrigible! I told you! Incorrigible!

--SpiritontheWater

Cut to Café

(Jason walks into the café and immediately switches on the computer Dwayne usually works from)

Jerri: What do you think you're doing, that computer is reserved, can't you read the fucking sign?

Jason: I'm looking for Dwayne.

(As the computer boots, Jerri comes around the counter and confronts Jason)

Jerri: You're that guy he's been hanging out with aren't you, do you know where he fucking is? Are you and your frat boy friends trying pull another prank on that poor man!?

Jason: Get a grip lady, first of all I'm no frat boy, and no, I don't know where he is any more than you do, obviously.

(As the screen lights up a dark picture appears on the screen)

Jerri: Oh my god, is that him? Is that fucking him?!!!

(they stare at the darkened image and see Dwayne tied to a chair with duct tape hanging half taped over his mouth. In the half light of the room a figure can be seen pacing back and forth in front of Dwayne. The figure then walks over toward the transmitting computer and leans down just enough to reveal his face in the camera of Dwayne's laptop)

Jerri: Who the fuck is that? Oh my god, they've kidnapped Dwayne!

--SpiritontheWater

(Butchie van pulls into the Snug Harbor lot

Shaun: (getting out) See ya later, pop.

Butchie: Okay, pal.

(Shaun runs into the cabin, grabs his skateboard, and skates off)

Butchie: (Still sitting in the van, yells after Shaun) Be careful, Shaunie! (He opens the door, gets out, and stretches)

Kai: (Appearing in the cabin's doorway) Hey.

Butchie: (cracking his neck) Hey. Whassup? (He walks over to Kai and kisses her) Whatcha doin'?

Kai: Waiting for you. (She runs her hand through his hair)

Butchie: To bring the hammer down? (He raises his eye-brows)

Kai: You wish. (She shoves him playfully) I'm here to collect on our little wager.

Butchie: Oh. (He smiles) That. Whadda you want me to do?

Kai: You could start by cleaning that fuckin' cabin up.

Butchie: No shit? Fuck! I was sorta waitin' for Barry or Ramon to fuckin' hire some maids.

Kai: It's your fuckin' mess, Butchie. (She gives him a look)

Butchie: I know that...but, FUCK!, it'd be easier to burn the fucker down and start again.

Kai: You're such a lazy-ass. (She throws a wet rag, hitting him across the face) Start with the bathroom.

Butchie: (with disbelief) Fuck me!

Kai: (Grins) Get to it.

Butchie: Okay, okay. (pushes past her, entering the room) Christ!, this'll take me all fuckin' day! (He looks at Kai pleadingly) Can't you think of somethin'-the-fuck else?

Kai: Oh, I've got all kinds of ideas! (She sits on the bed) Maybe I'll get myself off while I watch you clean.

Butchie: You're an evil, fuckin' bitch, you know that? (He grins flirtatiously)

Kai: And take your fuckin' shirt off while you work. (She lays seductively on the bed and teases Butchie with suggestive comments and actions while he cleans the bathroom, channeling his sexual frustration by scrubbing away the mildew everywhere)

--Walkara

(Linc and Mitch drive in the El Camino toward the Yost house)

Linc: Well...thanks for the help today, Mitch.

Mitch: No problem. (Pause) What'd you think about the statue?

Linc: Pretty fuckin' cool, actually. Your friend seemed like a good guy too.

Mitch: Yeah, we go way back.

Linc: Said he used to make LSD...I can't fuckin' imagine anyone letting Cissy try that shit.

Mitch: (Amused) We used to trip all the time.

Linc: So Butchie said. (looks down) How long's it been?

Mitch: A lifetime. (He looks into the distance, remembering) I used to think that shit stripped the world of it's bullshit; that it let us look underneath the surface of things...now I understand that all it does is strip away your own inhibitions and facades...or reflects 'em back at you so intensely that you can't stomach it. Cissy and I stopped using shortly after Butchie began competing. I guess he saw too much; we mixed it up plenty in the old days. it's like we lived in different world then. A possible world. Then everything started to fall apart; like you could feel the magic draining. Cissy and I started eating away at each other, and then I had my accident. And on from there.

Linc: I think that's the most you've ever said to me that didn't fuckin' include reproach.

Mitch: Guess I put more blame on you than you likely deserved, but you sure as hell exacerbated Butchie's problems.

Linc: I'm not proud of it.

Mitch: I believe you.

Linc: Seems like the fuckin' world is spinnin' faster these days. Everything is happening at once. I can barely fuckin' keep up.

Mitch: Yeah? I don't know...it's a bit like the world's getting a blood transfusion, and we're buzzing in the afterglow.

Linc: Like the magic is comin' back into the world...

Mitch: Somethin' like that...

(They drive in silence until reaching the Yost house. Mitch gets out, without saying anything, and Linc drives away, lost in thought. Mitch stands in front of the house for a moment, breathing the present in, before going inside, where Cissy is watching some of his old surfing videos)

--Walkara

Freddy sits at a picnic table near the surf camp, watching the action at the Silver Strand)

Freddy: (to himself) These fuckin' military-types are always spoilin' for a goddam fight. (Shakes his head) The question bein': what the fuck they're training for. All's I fuckin' know is that that asshole I seen lurkin' around 'fore the queer got shot isn't the type of fuck to show up 'less the shit is deep.

(He sees a black car pull around the building and a woman get out. She surveys the area, casting a glance in his direction, across the way)

Freddy: Fuck. She's lookin' right at me. (He gives her smartass wave)

(Alabaster nods at the man, reckoning him to be a harmless transient, and walks inside the structure)

Freddy: What the fuck's goin' on in there anyway? (He stands up) I guess we're gonna haveta find ourselves a goddam spy to infiltrate that place and give us the fuckin' inside scoop 'fore them assholes do whatever the fuckin' hell they've got in mind. (He turns around and walks, lost in thought, back toward the beach)

--Walkara

(Driving away from the Yost house, Linc spots Tina's car parked down the block, in front of a little white house with a blue door. He pulls to the curb just as Tina surfaces from the house, walking with confidence and purpose, next to a short, stout woman with a bad perm.)

Linc: (gets out of the El Camino) Hey! What's up?

Tina: (proudly, to the woman beside her) That's my boyfriend. (She waves flirtatiously) What're you doin' here?

Linc: Just dropped Mitch off...saw your car. (Linc reaches out and takes her hand, squeezing it softly)

Tina: I'm buying this house. (She looks back at the house with pride) You like it? (Her eyes flicker with promise)

(Linc nods)

Lula: (to Tina) I'll fax the initial papers to your...office?

Tina: My hotel room. (Looks to Linc) Do you have a pen and paper?

Linc: (rifling through pockets) Uh...I think so... (He produces a business card) Here. Sorry, no pen.

Lula: Use mine. (She hands her pen to Tina)

Tina: Thanks. (She writes her numbers on the back of Linc's business card and hands it to Lula) I'm answerable at any of those numbers.

Lula: Well, good day, Ms. Blake. I must say, it was a nice surprise to meet you.

Tina: Likewise. And thank you for showing me around.

Lula: I'm just happy we found something you liked.

Tina: Yeah...I wish I could move in today.

Lula: I understand...I will try to expedite things, dear. (She shakes Tina's hand, nods at Linc, and walks to her car)

Tina: Bye. (Tina waves)

Linc: You sure this is what you want?

Tina: Absolutely! (She turns back to the house) It's perfect. Three bedrooms, two bathrooms...there's even a spare room for an office. The kitchen needs some work, but, other than that, it's perfect--and just down the street from Butchie's motel and the Yost house. Do you like it? Wanna take a look inside? (A seagull hovers overhead momentarily, then lands on the hood to Tina's car)

Linc: Maybe later. If you like it, I'll like it. (He puts his arms around her) You wanna go back to the hotel?

Tina: Actually, I wanna find Shaunie and tell him the good news. I wonder where he is....?

Linc: He left the beach with Butchie a while ago. He's probably at the Snug Harbor.

Tina: Let's check. (She takes Linc's hand and leads him to her car, startling the seagull, which flies away)

Linc: (Kisses her fully on the lips) I'll follow you in the Camino.

Tina: Okay. (She gets in her car) Wanna race?

Linc: Hell yeah! ...Just wait for me to get lined up. (He runs to his car)

Tina: (hitting the gas) Go! (She zooms past him, down the street toward the motel)

Linc: (Starting the car) Fuckin' cheater. (He grins and zooms after her)

--Walkara

As Freddie makes his way back to the Snug Harbor, he begins to hear the sound of sirens in the distance. He recognizes them as fire trucks, then police cars, then ambulances.

"What the fuck?" he murmurs to himself.

As he approaches El Camino Boulevard , he begins to see that things are not what they should be. Not quite sure as to what, specifically, is different, he slows his pace, ducks behind a dumpster and peering around the side, observes the boulevard for a moment.

"I hope those fuckin fires haven't made their way here"

He emerges from the shadow of the dumpster, walks down the street and across to the entrance of the Snug Harbor. Two more fire trucks approaching send him quickly to the curb.

Ramon is standing in the courtyard. He nods to Freddie as he approaches.

Freddie: Fires?

Ramon: Really? Where? We should turn on a radio.

Freddie: I don't know, I was asking you if fires are the cause of the disturbance.

Ramon: Oh, the sirens? Perhaps an automobile accident.

Freddie: Three fire trucks to an automobile accident?

Ramon: Fires?

Freddie: I don't know, god damnit, where's the boy?

Ramon: (motioning to the pool) I saw him on his skate board. (Freddie walks briskly to the fence enclosing the pool. Shaun is not there. )

Freddie: Did you see which way he went?

(Ramon shakes his head)

--Waxon

Dwayne opens his eyes to the sound of voices arguing and the smell of smoke. His vision blurred, he can see flames a few feet away from him. As his senses gradually come back to him, he comes to realize that he is on the beach and the flames belong to a bonfire. The sparks float up and disappear in the night sky. He sees a figure dancing on the far side of the fire. A dark man with long dreadlocks is in a tribal state. He looks around but sees no one else. As he sits up, he still hears the voices arguing, and is confused. Looking to the shore he sees a sea gull and a sea lion. Frightened, he lays down again, trying to remember how he got here and where "here" is.

--Waxon

Do no harm

Sven2

Palaka: (he speaks slow, as if in a dream or in pain, with sudden stops in the middle of the phrase.) Last beating, boss, now I can retire, right? Funny I should keep my mouth shut, listening to you talk in your sleep night after night about this volcano.
Only He said something to me, when I was dragging you down the slope, fainted as you were, not seeing me... Something about a fish, crawling out the ocean, two as one... Who knows, boss, I am just a lowlife, what about me... nothing, boss, who cares... My dreams worth shit, like it will ever happen, having coffee and waffles, you know, looking at the tide, two friends...

When he opens his eyes, he is lying on the beach, not far from Dwayne. Palaka gets up, walks to Noah, who dances next to the bonfire and starts moving. First he is unsure of himself, but slowly he absorbs the rhythm and the dance becomes a natural part of the night, the flame and the stars above. Palaka feels liberated, may be for the first time in his life.

Noah, dancing close to Palaka, touches his arm covered in cast. The cast starts to glow, as if on fire.
Palaka smiles. They dance. The flame is getting bigger and bigger.

--svengali2

Lying in the dark trying to remember what has happened, Dwayne feels something hit his forehead. Wiping his brow and looking at his dimly lit hand he suspects it to be bird droppings. Looking up, he sees the seagull has taken flight.

Quinctius : Oh My God! Lucius! Way to go! That's just great!

Lucius: (Landing on a piece of driftwood) An accident, Ok! It happens!

Looking around again for the voices, Dwayne feels a tap on his shoulder. Turning his head he comes face to face with the sea gull which is now on his shoulder.

Lucius: Uhh... sorry about that.

Dwayne: (Stunned and then with a sense of relief) I'm dreaming.

Lucius: That's what they all say.

Dwayne: Did you just shit on me?

Lucius: I told you I was sorry. It was an accident. Now come on, it time to get up and go.

Dwayne: Go where?

Lucius: To the dance. (Lucius spreads his wing to point in the direction of the bonfire and the two silhouettes dancing in its glow.)

Dwayne: I don't usually talk to birds &.. and I don't dance.

Lucius: Well, suite yourself. But at least go wash that shit off your head.

Lucius flies back over to the shore next to Quinctius. Dwayne hesitates before standing. Seeing that he has not been noticed by the dancing men, he walks slowly to the shoreline making sure to keep his distance from the sea lion and the bird. Struggling to keep his shoes from getting wet, he takes a handkerchief from his back pocket and wets it in the surf.

Turning around with his handkerchief to his forehead he is again startled - this time he is face to face with the tall black Jamaican.

Noah: Welcome, Dwayne! I am glad you got my message. We've been waiting for you.

Dwayne: But...

Noah: Don't you worry 'bout those questions, now. We having a party! (Noah puts his arm around Dwayne and leads him to the bonfire)

Dwayne begins to hear the sound of a guitar, then a singer, and then full band, but he can see no band and no radio. As they get closer to the fire, the music becomes louder until it sounds like they are in the front rows of a concert. Palaka is out of breath and standing with his hands on his knees. As the music plays he begins to dance, again - serious and without emotion, Palaka moves as though he is in a trance. Dwayne, recognizing the song, shows a face of surprise and great approval.

Dwayne: (Shouting) I love this song!

Dwayne begins to move to the beat of the music. The music continues to play and camera fades back to show the three silhouettes dancing in the glow of the bonfire.

Noah can be heard shouting as he dances:

Noah: I love this song, too, Dwayne!

--Waxon

Music continues, while the camera looks up where silhouettes of four magnificent frigatebirds are slowly descending on the beach slightly away from the bonfire. When they land we see four lost boys that flew away through the window of the old Victorian.
It's Dr. Smith, Barry, Meyer Dickstein and Ramon in his white robe.

Ramon:( crosses himself) Madre de Dios, le doy las gracias!

Noah: (hugging Barry and Dr.Smith with both arms and smiling to Dickstein and Ramon) Now der other night, der other fire. Jus' litl' colder waters, darker air. Nah, boys, nothin' a good jumpin' can't help. And der good song and der good friends. Y'all grew older and wiser, no? You're here, not lost no more, but found.

All men dance together in a circle. The music plays, sparks from the fire light up the night and their faces.

--svengali2

Mr. White: (selecting a cigar from a humidor made of sandalwood)
No comparison, terrible quality nowdays. Not the years of the past, the pleasure of watching young girls rolling leaves on their naked thigh. Or, better, prepubescent boys... Shall I visit my little colony on the Caribbean sooner than expected, perhaps? (he rings little silver bell)

Ms. Alabaster: (entering the chamber) Yes, Messir, here is your daily briefing stats.

Mr. White: (with displeasure, impatiently) You, my dear, are deteriorating. I received this information two hours ago, you forgot, news channels work relentlessly to please inquiring minds. Besides, you went too far this time. Your personal tragedies are of no concern to me, however your performance on the job was the only reason you were still moving your calcified limbs. Did you find your insufferable slob of a brother at last?

Ms. Alabaster: (stammering) No, Messir, he was last seen at a hotel in Huntington...

Mr. White: (interrupting) Say no more. Collect yourself. The sooner the better for you, my precious woman. Arrange for a flight to Cuba immediately. We'll visit dear orange birds under the tin roof. (Seeing Ms. Alabaster leave) She will have to be replaced... with a young man. (he lights a cigar and looks through the papers on his mahogany desk) Forty thousand dead in one month in one dirty forsaken country, how satisfying. Yes, godforsaken country, no doubts. (he laughs).

--svengali2

The men sit around the now smoldering fire. There are just enough flames to create a slight glow of the figures in the sand. The camera pans to show that John is sitting among them.

John:

In the word on the wall, you are the limbs of my father.
(Looking at Palaka) Ones and zero's are big.
(Looking at Dwayne) Circles and lines are huge.

First you must swim. Then you will crawl or fly.

We see a clip of Lucius perched on top of Qinctius on the shoreline, now only a few feet from the fire with the rising tide.

John picks up a fistful of sand and holds it up as it sifts through his fingers.

John: Sand divides us. But we are indivisible.

John waves his hand over the smoldering fire.

John: Fire unites us. From its ashes we are not be dusted.
The sea will cleanse the ashes and dust.

Now John is standing knee deep in the surf. Speaking above the sound of the waves:
John: The end is near. The Yosts surf like angles. A drowning man is saved by a whale. But we will walk from the water.

John is now again sitting where he was.
John: (smiling) We do not burn our asses on on this sand, tonight.

--Waxon

Dwayne opens the door to the coffee shop and walks in.
Jerri is standing at the counter. She has obviously been crying. She turns to see Dwayne?s figure in the doorway ? shadowed by the bright afternoon sunlight

Jerri: Where the fuck have you been!

Dwayne: Dancing.

--Waxon

(Linc & Tina pull up at the Snug Harbor, which seems deserted. There is still a sound of sirens in the distance)

Linc: I wonder where everyone is?

Tina: Probably gone to check on the sirens...

Linc: Yeah, I guess.

(Tina goes to Butchie's cabin and knocks on the door)

Tina: Shaunie?

(Inside Kai is lounging on the bed enjoying a margarita. The music is loud and Kai seems very pleased with herself. Butchie is doing dishes, now in boxers and an apron. He is scowling, clearly not enjoying the music. Hearing no answer, Tina knocks on the door again)

Tina: (louder) Butchie?

Butchie: (to Kai) Someone at the door!

Kai: Could you go get that honey, I'm a little busy?

Butchie: Shit, I've got nuthin' on.

Kai: So?

Butchie: Fine! (he storms to the door) You just fuckin' wait! (he opens the door)

Tina: (Standing at the door, she looks Butchie up and down) Nice apron!

Linc: (who is standing behind Tina, watching) Man; "Butchie the beast", "Butchie the maid"? Maybe I didn't make the right call!

Butchie: Fuck you Linc. I lost a fuckin' bet with Kai, alright?

Tina: So, have you seen Shaun?

Butchie: Nah. He left on his skateboard a few hours ago.

Tina: And you aren't worried where he is?

Butchie: No, why would I be?

Tina: Well don't you hear the fucking sirens!

Butchie: What sirens? The bitch queen is listening to Madonna or some shit on the radio. KAI! turn the music off.

(Kai turns the music off and hears the sirens and rushes to the door)

Kai: what's going on?

Tina: No idea.

(In the distance Freddy walks back into the courtyard; Butchie spots him)

Butchie: Hey Freddy? What's the fuckin' commotion?

Freddy: Some prick turned his fucking Hummer into a bonfire.

Tina: Was anyone hurt?

Freddy: Well the driver's toast, but doesn't look like anyone else.

Tina: Have you seen Shaunie?

Freddy: Left on his skateboard.

Kai: Don't worry; he's probably at the skate park. He goes there when he wants to think.

Linc: (to Tina) Come on, I'll drive us there.

Butchie: You want us to come too?

Linc: Nah, we've got it covered.

Tina: (to Kai) I need some help later on, can you lend me Butchie?

Kai: (smiling) Nah, I've got plans for him all night! (she gives Butchie a slap on the butt and leads him back in).

(Outside across the parking lot by the office, John is standing un-noticed as Linc and Tina leave)

John: (to no one in particular) I like Kai. The ocean will swallow Kai whole. Freddy must face the volcano. Shaun will tell Butchie my father's words. In Cass' camera, Butchie will find the way. Tomorrow the waves will come.

Freddy: (looking over seeing John) Fucking shape-shifter.

(Freddy heads into his room, and John walks away)

--backinthegame

(Tina and Linc pull up at the skate park, and watch Shaun thru the fence for a while).

Tina: Hey Shaun!

(Shaun sees them and skates over).

Shaun: Hey Mom. (He gives her a wide grin) Hey Linc (he drops back into the bowl, hops out again and skates around to see them, stepping off his board, and catching the kicktail in his hand in one smooth movement).

Tina: How're you doing?

Shaun: Good. Just working on my grinds.

Tina: I wanted to tell you the good news. I found a house in IB.

Shuan: (grinning) Cool mom. Does my dad know?

Tina: I wanted to tell you first.

Shaun: Grams?

Tina: (she chuckles) No. Look, it isn't ready yet, but there'll be a room for you when it is... (Shaun looks down) ... if you want.

Shaun: (he looks at her again). Mom, I want to stay with dad and John.

Tina: Uh, OK.. yes you need some time.

Shaun: No mom, I need to stay with dad and John.

Linc: (breaking the ensuing awkard silence, slaps Shaun on the back) Well we can talk about that later; Are you ready to shred tomorrow?

Shaun: (brightening again) Yeah, it's gonna be cool.

Linc: Well hop in; we'll give you a lift back to your dad's place so you can get some rest.

Shaun: OK

Linc: Kai's got Butchie cleaning up the place.

Shaun: Ha. This I've got to see!

Linc: Yeah. (He grins to Tina, who punches him in the arm from the passenger seat)

--backinthegame

Do no harm

Sven2

Freddy: (looking over seeing John) Fucking shape-shifter.
Freddy heads into his room and John walks away.

As John walks, the camera rises up to show the horizon. In the distance we see the elephant cage. The visual cuts to the scene of Butchie and Kai in his room (Butchie washing dishes in the apron, Kai on the bed) The next scene shown is that of Mitch and Cissy as Mitch tends to her foot. Cissy pushes Mitch away from the sting of the iodine, Mitch, understandingly begins blowing on her cut. The next thing we see is the under water view of the whale at Sea World. This begins in the whale?s eye and pulls back to show a sprinkling of tourists standing at the glass viewing the whale. The camera pulls back in and pans the length of the whale until the blackness of its body consumes the entire view. As the camera pans back the blackness is revealed as the passenger side of a black limousine. The rear door opens and we see two black high-heels shoes followed by dark shear stockings on the long slender legs of a woman. Ms. Alabaster, dressed as though she is going to a funeral, exits the limousine (ignoring her driver) and walks directly through the automatic doors into the airport. The driver closes her door and hurries to the trunk. The camera closes in on the automated doors until we are taken through the glass. As we pass through the glass we emerge from underneath the waves on the beach as a surf board passes directly overhead. We see a figure from behind in a wet suite but can not tell who it is. We watch him perform fluid and peaceful. As the camera pans out we see the waves are an impressive size and clouds add to a breathtaking sunset beginning to form in the distance. The camera pans to the beach and, again, rises and covers the distance until we are back at the elephant cage on the horizon. Slowly the camera closes on the cage until we are taken inside the circular fencelike structure and right up to the side of the building to the base of a relatively small antenna. The camera rises up the length of the rusted antenna until we see perched atop, a seagull.

(If the episode ended here, the screen would go black and the credits role for Ep. 15 as the music continues. )

(If not the end of the episode, the music fades as we go to the next scene of Tina, Link and Shaun at the skate park)

--Waxon

(We see Freddie walking along the boulevard, sunglasses on)
Well I never been to Spain
But I kinda like the music
Say the ladies are insane there
And they sure know how to use it
(Scene changes to Cissy standing at the counter of the surf shop)
They don't abuse it
Never gonna lose it
I can't refuse it
(Mitch appears from behind her zipping his pants)

Well I never been to England
(Barry lies in his hospital bed starring at the ceiling)
But I kinda like the Beatles
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles
(as the camera pans down we see Barry press a button on a morphine pump)
Can you feel it
must be real it
Feels so good
(The camera panned back up to a close up of Barry?s face feeing relief)
Oh, feels so good

Well I never been to Heaven (Now we flash to John walking on the beach with Cass filming him)

But I been to Oklahoma
Well they tell me I was born there
But I really don't remember (Cass kneels and films him approaching the camera as though he is narrating a documentary but he is not saying anything - just motioning his hands as though in conversation)
In Oklahoma, not Arizona
What does it matter
What does it matter (Close-up on John's eyes)

During the music we see scenes of the crew (including Linc, Tina and Jake) setting up for the surf competition. The good doctor looks on while sitting on his bike.

Whoa, I never been to Spain (Ramon stand behind his grill, aprin on.)
But I kinda like the music
Say the ladies are insane there (Ramon stops cooking, places his hand on the grill sinks his head and begins to weep)
And they sure know how to use it
They don't abuse it
Never gonna lose it
I can't refuse it

Well I never been to Heaven (Butchie and Shaun sit together at an outdoor table eating hot dogs and fries. Butchie is talking as though he is recounting stories of his past surfing adventures to Shaun)
But I been to Oklahoma
Well they tell me I was born there (Shaun sits back, smiles and looks up at the sky - feeling the warmth of the sun on his face)
But I really don't remember
In Oklahoma, not Arizona (Scene is now of Bill, sitting on his couch wearing a shoulder holster, a hand gun sits on the couch next to him)
What does it matter
What does it matter (Bill stands up - resolved- picks up the gun and places into the holster. He puts on his sports coat and walks with purpose to the door.

As the song fades, we are left with the vision of the door closing behind Bill, and the sunlight shining in from the window)

--Waxon

Vietnam Joe drives alone on a dark road. The sound of static fills the car as the camera pans to the radio knobs and then up to his face where there are the remnants of tears.

His glazed eyes lead to a flashback scene where he is walking through the jungle at night - every sound is magnified. He is afraid. The sound of a twig snap causes him to turn quickly - only to see his friend freezing in fear after causing the sound. They both stand motionless, listening. A single gun shot fires, breaking the silence, and his friend falls violently to the ground. Joe doesn't move. Slowly he looks down to the ground until he sees his own boots. Suddenly, all hell breaks loose. Gunfire erupts and grenades explode. In the confusion, he drops to the ground and covers his head. Peering up amidst the chaos, he sees the open eyes of his fallen friend - he is dead.

The visions of gunfire and explosions fade into the flashing lights of a police vehicle in his rear view mirror. Coming to his senses he shakes his head and rubs his eyes.

Now from the side of the road we see his van pull to the side and the border patrol truck pull up behind him. There is a long moment where nothing happens. Joe is checking his rear view mirror for movement.

Voice: PLEASE STEP OUT OF YOUR VEHICLE!

Joe's door opens and as his foot touches the ground the megaphone voice directs him to "LAY DOWN ON THE GROUND!"

Joe slowly lays down, face first on the ground. As boots approach his face he stares at them. Looking up he sees an agent pointing a rifle at him.

Joe: Check the God damn van, asshole!

From a distance we see another agent standing with the back van doors open.

Agent: All clear! No pick ups for you tonight!

Joe: Not picking up, taking back, which should make everyone fucking happy.

As the flashing lights fill the darkness of the dirt road ...the music begins:

once in a lifetime

Roll the credits.

--Waxon
Do no harm

Sven2

John From Cincinnati, Episode 16, His Visit, Day 15

DISCLAIMER: John From Cincinnati and its canon characters are the property of HBO and the show's producers; no copyright infringement is intended.

The Further Days of John From Cincinnati continues - Arrivals and Departures

Written by: SpiritontheWater, backinthegame, Waxon, Skordamou, svengali2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interior- Room 24

Adam's face is seen pressing back firmly into a pillow, his eyes are closed tightly and he is breathing heavily through his nose; his jaw is clenched. His head pitches from side to side as he muffles a small weak groan.

Voice: Don't be afraid, this will be over soon. You did good to come here to be with me... You are so beautiful...

Cut to hospital-

Dr. Smith rushes up the hall to Barry's room, Dr. Taylor and the nurse are at Barry's bedside struggling to hold him down.

Dr. Smith: What is happening?

Barry's body arches violently and Dr. Taylor loses his grip on Barry's arm taking a blow to the face as a result.

Dr. Taylor: It would appear at first glance that your patient is experiencing what is commonly referred to as a seizure, doctor. (he regains his grip on Barry's arm and forces it to the bed.) Would you care to concur or would you rather wait for the results of some tests before hazarding such a conclusion?

Dr. Smith moves to the other side of the bed and takes Barry's other arm from the nurse. As he does so Barry's seizure subsides and his body slackens. He notices a wire running from Barry's hand and sees the button release from beneath his thumb as his grip relaxes.

Dr. Smith: (Tracing the tube in Barry's arm to the bag and canister hanging by his shoulder.) What is this? I did not authorize an opiate for this man. (he looks to Dr. Taylor who stares at him blankly.)

Dr. Taylor: Nor I doctor, it is clearly inappropriate for a man in his condition to be self administering morphine! (He looks at the nurse)

Nurse: I have no idea how that came to be doctors. It was certainly not here last round. I would have questioned it immediately!

At the door Meyer Dickstein stands looking at the floor, Ramon is behind him looking in the room over his shoulder.

Meyer: (clears his throat) I am compelled to inform you that I have, having just now arrived with Ramon for the purpose of visiting Mr. Cunningham, overheard your discussion and am consequently now aware as to this most questionable and imminently problematic turn of events. As Barry's.. uhm.. Mr. Cunningham's duly appointed attorney I must advise each one of you to proceed with extreme caution from this point forward...

Ramon: Looks like somebody's out to get Barry for certain now, huh?

Meyer turns slightly, acknowledging Ramon's private remark.

Meyer: ...and in consideration of the facts apparent, that indeed Mr. Cunningham's life may be in some persisting danger I would further advise that each of you consider an accounting for your procedures and whereabouts just prior to our meeting here at this time... as well as giving immediate regard to how you might proceed forthwith.

Dr. Smith looks away from Meyer and down at Barry who is looking up at him smiling.

Barry: You are so beautiful!

Dr. Smith: (smiling, surprised, awkward) Uhha, you're awake!

Barry: Am I, at last? (he grasps Dr. Smith's hand and squeezes it) I have been on a most wonderful journey and I cannot wait to share it with you. (He looks around the room and toward the door, he sees Ramon stretching to see over Meyer's shoulder as he gives a small wave. Barry raises his arm toward him. Ramon excuses himself to Meyer and pushes past him into the room.)

Ramon: (Lifts up the small potted plant he is holding as he approaches Barry's bedside. The small circular planter is painted like a carousel.) I brought you a little something I thought could cheer you up. You think you're going to be alright now?

Barry: (tearful) I do Ramon, I do. And your gift is a most joyful sight after all I've seen.

Ramon: Well you're back with friends now.

Dr. Taylor: (interrupting) Excuse me gentlemen but before we get too far down the sentimental journeys here I think we should make some hasty decisions as to what exactly is going on here and what should be done! (He motions for the nurse to leave the room and walking over to the door with her draws Meyer inside as he closes the door.)

Dr. Smith: (smiling at him) Hasty decisions? Yes, let's make haste John. Do we now see what is important for us to see; that the miracle is the result of the tests?

Ramon: The machines can't explain it.

Meyer: There is no contract or law that will protect us from it.

Barry: There is no dark street that can lead us away from it.

Room 24:

Adams face is quietly resting on the pillow, the light from the new lamp on the bedside table softly illuminates his small delicate features. The streams running from the corners of eyes, closed now in sleep, glisten in the light down the sides of cheeks to his neck. The door of room 24 is heard closing, shutting out the light from outside.

--SpiritontheWater

Cut to Hospital-

Dr. Taylor stands bent over charts on the counter at the nurses station. He looks up as Mr. Lewinski approaches.

Lewinski: I've come to examine the admittance records of one Mr. Cunningham and have a chat with him, if he is conscious.

Dr. Taylor: I'm not familiar with that name sir.

Cut to interior of Meyer's Lexus-

The windows are down and Ramon rides shotgun, Dr. Smith sits in the back seat with Barry.

Barry: Your automobile, Mr. Dickstein, is exquisitely appointed.

Meyer: It was my fiance's... Daphne's, choice, I'm afraid I was wanting something a bit less pretentious. (Looks at Barry through the rear view mirror) I'd originally looked at a nicely restored vintage Volkswagen Type 3 Squareback, nineteen sixty seven, one owner!

Meyer brakes unexpectedly as they come upon a traffic jam a few blocks from the motel. Both sides of the street are filled with parked cars of every type and color.

As they slowly pass down the road Barry sees that the people are everywhere. Children are laughing and chasing each other between the cars, fathers are setting up tents and campsites along the beach, mothers are greeting each other with bowls and platters.

Barry: I am welcomed home to a vibrant community!

Ramon: Something's going on, that's for sure.

Dr. Smith: Does the surf contest draw this large of a crowd normally?

Meyer: There has been publicity but I was not aware it had reached this proportion.

Barry: They have heard the news and been drawn by the light, Mr. Dickstein. We will need to feed people Ramon, how are the renovations coming?

Ramon: (looks ahead to the driveway of the Snug Harbor and sees parked cars filling the entrance) Renovations or not here we come...

--SpiritontheWater

click here

Adam steps out of a car along the highway and shades his eyes looking up at Walkara's bluff. He turns and leans back in through the open window.

Adam: Thanks mister.

Driver: No problem kid, but you be careful hitchhiking on this road, plenty of folks looking for something you should want no part of.

Adam: (smiles and nods his head) I'll keep that in mind.(as the car pulls away Adam jumps the ditch and begins his ascent to the top) Should want no part of...

Adam steadily makes his way up the steep slope by the path worn by the few finding cause or desire to climb to the open sanctuary of the ancient mesa. He agilely uses hand and foot scrambling up the seventy five feet with little difficulty. Reaching the top he immediately spots Moana sitting on the cliff overlooking the pacific.

Moana glances back at Adam having seen his arrival and returns his gaze to the highway below while Adam walks over to sit next to him. Adam cautiously scoots forward dangling his legs off the edge next to Moana's. He gently puts his arm around his back and reaches up and grabs hold of the collar of the big man's Hawaiian shirt, bunching it in his small fist. Moana continues staring down to the pavement below. He holds an airplane ticket in his hands. On the cover are the bright red letters - Aloha.

click and minimize

--SpiritontheWater

(In the Yost bedroom. Mitch is sleeping on his back, straight as a longboard, a slight smile on his face, he gently snores, a "pouf, pouf" sound. Cissy is clinging to Mitch, one of her arms thrown across his chest, one leg bent, on top of Mitch's thigh.
Cissy wakes with a start, with a small shake of her head and a self disgusted snort she quickly rolls away from Mitch, throws her legs across the bed then jumps up to head for the bathroom. As her feet hit the floor, she yelps.)

Cissy: What the fuck? What the hell, I cut my fuckin' foot!

(Mitch opens his eyes)

Cissy: Wake up you moron. What do you know about this?

(She puts her injured left foot up the bed and pulls a long thin shard of broken glass from the wound. Keeping her foot on the bed, she bends down and picks up a piece of amber colored glass, the neck of a small vial)

(Mitch, still half asleep, watching lazily, finds himself becoming aroused by the sight of her naked contorted body. He reaches out to touch her, then thinking better of it, moves his hand across the top of the sheet to cover the rise, now visible under the sheet.)

Cissy: You fuckface, what you gonna do, jerk yourself off while I'm here fuckin' bleedin'?

(She looks down and realizes there is only a slight bit of blood. She puts her foot down and reaches under the bed, gathering up shards of glass. There is a sticky residue on the floor)

Cissy: What the fuck? What is this shit?

(Mitch, now fully awake, takes the shards of glass and places them on the table beside the bed.)

Mitch: C'mon Cissy, the first thing we're going to do is get you cleaned up.

(Meek as a lamb Cissy follows Mitch onto the bathroom, where he puts her foot up on the sink and gently cleans the wound.)

Mitch: (grinning) : You'll live. It doesn't look too bad, but it's deep puncture. You're going to have to keep this covered for awhile. Can't be too careful.

Cissy: What the fuck, how did that bottle get in here, you been in our bed with some bimbo doin' who the fuck knows what ? Was this shit this some special treat you got from Erlemeyer?

Mitch: Cissy, I tell you I have no idea what that bottle is, what was in it or how it got there. I'll go talk to Erlemeyer. He still has some friends in the chemical business. There's some residue left on that glass. Maybe he can tell us what was in the bottle. We can worry about how it got there later.

Cissy: Great, ask the fuckin' chemical wizard. All I know is that whatever the fuck was in that bottle I just got a good fuckin' shot of it.

Later:

(In Mitch's clubhouse. Erlemeyer sits in the middle of the room looking down at the backs of his hands. He turns them over and is studying his palms as Mitch enters.)

Mitch: Erlemeyer, I need you to tell me: What have you heard? What have you seen?

Erlemeyer: I see my hands. They have done many things, these hands.

Mitch: I have been worried about Shaunie. Now I am worried about all of us. It was all so much easier when I thought I was dying.

Erlemeyer: You are dying Mitch, We all are. It's what you do between now and your final exit that makes a difference. Now, what is it that makes you more worried today than you were just yesterday?

Mitch: It's that stranger, that extraterrestrial, that whatever he is, he's part of something big. I don't know what it is or what he is part of yet, but I'm going to find out. Someone has been here, in the house, in my bedroom, didn't you hear anything? You've been right here, didn't you see anyone come in here? They left this. (Mitch holds up the plastic bag containing glass shards.)

(Erlemeyer takes the bag and studies it, making" hmmmm" sounds.)

Erlemeyer: Mitch, for you and the beach, those days were all about freedom. Finding the perfect wave, the perfect piece of ass. You especially, Mitch, you didn't have to worry when you got high, you knew you would see god, you thought he was your brother. I envied you that, Golden Boy. Never a doubt in your head. Drove the girls wild.

Mitch: I'm not so sure about that, Chuck. But I'm not going down memory lane with you now, my whole fuckin' world is falling apart here. I need your help.

Erlemeyer: Mitch, listen to me. More was going on in those days than peace and love. Still is. Not everyone who bought my chemical treats was hoping to see god. Some wanted to be god. I know that, it's a big part of why I left. I told myself when I did business with those guys that the drugs would open their minds, help them mellow, help raise their consciousness. I knew even then what a crock of shit that was.

--Skordamou

Do no harm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk