News:

We now have TWO sites!  The original johnfromcincinnati.net  and the New JohnFromCincinnati.net.  Yet there is only one forum so it doesn't matter which site you are on, the forum is the same.  ENJOY!  and "Work here, Cass."

Main Menu

Barry's Bar & Motel

Started by FarleyFarls, December 11, 2007, 11:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cassie

Happy Valentines Day...... Flower, skorda Sven, and all who are here ............ :-*

Sven2

Was reading your guys weight loss discussion with great interest, wishing you luck! However a state of deprivation doesn't last and smell of cooked cabbage some consider disgusting, Atkins diet is bad for one's liver and self help diet books are often a shameless scam.....

My recipe is the usual and the same - "Love changes everything". Not necessarily love of a man/woman, - love yourself. And your child and maybe that willow in your window.
So here it is to us - Have a happy Valentine's Day, my friends.

Love IS

Some people forget that love is
tucking you in and kissing you
"Good night"
no matter how young or old you are

Some people don't remember that
love is
listening and laughing and asking
questions
no matter what your age

Few recognize that love is
commitment, responsibility
no fun at all
unless

Love is
You and me

--Nikki Giovanni

Do no harm

cassie

I am lonely......  :'( I have no friends..... :o I am No# three :-[

Sven2

This place is visited by very quiet souls lately. I'd swear just yesterday there were interesting as usual, observations about JFC, made by one of our dear old friends, but - alas...... in the absence of an immediate reply some posts seem to wilt, and some mysteriously disappear without a trace, however not without being read and appreciated. Thank you. Pleasure to read.
Do no harm

gloin

nice bar hehehe...fun place to chill

skor

My boys are cut off from the world in the newly formed island of Big Sur. It's been more than a week since Hwy 1 to the north by Palo Colorado crumbled into the sea. At that time one could still head south, though it's close to 2 hours before there is a town of any size. Still, it was possible. And if one needed to head north there was an old mountain road, not in the best shape, the trip to Carmel which usually takes a bit under an hour would take nearly five hours, but it could be done. But then there was a mudslide south of Big Sur and suddenly there was no way out. Impossible to access the mountain road. CalTrans got on it and thought they would have the road cleared in a day or so. As they were working boulders started rolling down the mountain. One crushed the equipment. No one was hurt, but they decided that the region was too unstable and called a halt to the work. It is hoped they can begin again soon. As of now there is no way in or out of Big Sur. There is no harbor and the coastline is treacherous, so bringing in supplies by boat would be very, very challenging. The state has decided to begin helicopter shuttles on Monday. For many residents, this is a great adventure. As long as people are well and there are no emergencies, it will be a grand old memorable event. I'm hoing the businesses do not suffer too much, it is the kind of place where everyone pitches in and helps one another. I'm hoping that the rich people are keeping the economy afloat by spending and eating and drinking at the restaurants.

Sven2

A friend sent it to me today, I thought it's good to share it here with you

10 things to learn from Japan after their catastrophe:
1. THE CALM
Not a single visual of chest-beating or wild grief. Sorrow itself has been elevated.
2. THE DIGNITY
Disciplined queues for water and groceries. Not a rough word or a crude gesture.
3. THE ABILITY
The incredible architects, for instance. Buildings swayed but didn't fall.
4. THE GRACE
People bought only what they needed for the present, so everybody could get something.
5. THE ORDER
No looting in shops. No honking and no overtaking on the roads. Just understanding.
6. THE SACRIFICE
Fifty workers stayed back to pump sea water in the N-reactors. How will they ever be repaid?
7. THE TENDERNESS
Restaurants cut prices. An unguarded ATM is left alone. The strong cared for the weak.
8. THE TRAINING
The old and the children, everyone knew exactly what to do. And they did just that.
9. THE MEDIA
They showed magnificent restraint in the bulletins. No silly reporters. Only calm reportage.
10. THE CONSCIENCE
When the power went off in a store, people put things back on the shelves and left quietly

Saw a photo of a newborn boy in his mother's arms being tested for radioactivity, he looked like a little hungry bird, with the tiny mouth open in wonder. What world will this generation inherit?

Do no harm

ZenOnMars

Thank-you all for such considered and passionate posts.  Hi.  My name is Len, and why it took me this long to join, I'll never know.  A few days ago, I went (unexplainably) to:

http://jfcexperience.com/

for some"battery recharging".  That lead me here.   :)  I will try to weigh in on many of your ideas, especially since ChatAngel's passing, without overstaying my welcome.

As David Milch said in his "Final Speech" to the JFC cast and crew: 

"PLEASE KNOW THAT I'VE NEVER BEEN PROUDER OR MORE GRATEFUL FOR THE COLLECTIVE EFFORTS OF SO MANY PEOPLE, NOR HAVE I EVER SEEN A MORE HEART-WARMING RESULT.  SO WE'RE KICKING ASS AND ... EVERYTHINGS GOING TO GO FINE!"  ;)

-Len (ZenOnMars)

Sven2

Ah, the siren call! Welcome, Len!

Once in a while - a live soul finds their way here! Not to worry, your welcome is endless and timeless, you may talk about anything and anyone here as much as you wish. 
Don't want to spook you with too many questions, though.... were you ever on the original HBO BB, years ago, when JFC was airing? Did you know Chatangel?  Tell us something about yourself and John from.... Denver! (Not!)  ;D 
Do no harm

ZenOnMars

Thank-you.   :)  Well, I live in Wisconsin.  I will be 55 years old in May.  I am currently reading "Be Love Now" by Ram Dass, and psyching up to recall our Republican governor, lol.

Yes I chatted a bit with our angel on the HBO boards but more so on my Myspace.  She was a treasure, as you have all stated, who treated even strangers with John's love.  My major contribution to those boards, and my "claim to fame" was being quoted in HBO's JFC newsletter as to who I thought John was.  Imagine my surprise when I opened my email to read this:

"Milch sees how "big and HUGE" this is...the Miracle of Love, and how we are brought to the point of union with the Universe, where we care for, and protect, and heal, and love, and feed each other, simply because we are ONE." – ZenOnMars, John From Cincinnati community member."

Sven2

That rings a bell! Len, don't get discouraged by the silence on the BB, everyone reads the posts, not many write. Pick yourself favorite topic, and discuss, object, inspire, condemn, etc.  My favorite is poetry almanac. What are your interests?
Do no harm

skor

I haven't been around much, in part because I am now teaching a course on "Conflict Resolution in Africa" which is way out of my area, but as the dept. felt I could handle it I have been cramming to do my best. But I say that this week brought me the worst class ever, I mean in all of the years I have been teaching I have never experienced anything like this. The students are presenting the topics that are covered in their final papers. During the first week one student was to present the current state of events in Libya and another te current state of Ivory Coast, then in the last class a student would update us on what has occurred since the first report. The Ivory Coast presentation went well. The second student began her presentation talking about the controversy of entering into the conflict in Libya, whether Obama had made the right decision, etc. But then she started talking about rubber and civil war and I was like...whoa, what are you talking about? And she said, "the civil war in Liberia, of course, let me show you this video." I was blown away and even more so when the video she had chosen was 21 years old. But it had been posted on Youtube last month so she thought it was new. I used the incident as an opportunity to talk about research methods, lol. I know that you reading this aren't interested in such silly things but it was such a learning opportunity for me, and this is what has been taking all of my waking moments lately, so I just had to share it.

Sven2

Now, add insult to injury, i.e. the ignorance to the astronomical cost of "higher" education!
Do no harm

skor

In thinking about Ocean's aversion to the uppercase. Language may be flexible, but things like capitalization and punctuation are not entirely arbitrary.  Here's an example of how lack of capitalization might affect someone's meaning..."Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off his horse and helping your uncle jack off his horse."...Oh!!!

SaveJFC Admin

Hi All,

I've been keeping tabs on the goings-on here but I've been so busy with my work... these old fingers just don't code as fast as they used to :)

I did want to stop in today to tell you of a good site I found and to ask for your help...

The site is MyWOT.com.  It stands for My Web Of Trust and is a free peer review of websites.  It has a plugin for your browser so you can get the peer rating of a site before you go there.  Interesting idea, huh?

Well, here is the scorecard for us here:  http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/johnfromcincinnati.net  There isn't any comments and only my rating so far.  So give your positive rating and then when members search for JOHN they will see our love for it :D

Now, I also have a personal request...  It seems there are people trying to trash my reputation by giving my personal web design site a bad rating.  I honestly don't have any idea why people would be so cruel.  If you would, I would appreciate you also taking a moment to add your opinion to my scorecard:  http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/trishah.com

Work here, Cass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk