News:

Check our Marc Ostrick's new site JFCexperience.com for behind the scenes video not seen before and much much more!

Main Menu

Barry's Bar & Motel

Started by FarleyFarls, December 11, 2007, 11:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Water Lily

;DHAPPY NEW YEAR PARTY<  :DLAUGHS ;DPOETRY ;)and well wishes to all for a healthy and Happy 2012
Sven2, skor, oceanflower, wavewatcher, save... and to the Memory of Chatangel, Tammy Lewis who passed in 2010...may she rest in peace.

love to all...

SaveJFC Admin

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year.  May this coming year reveal the Spirit of JOHN in world.

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=3284447613643&source=jl999

Trishah
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

Mz.Lily, thank you for the greeting, and for bringing Tammy here, once again.
Trishah, your e-cards are amazing, thank you very much.

Now, here's Tom Waits with a rather "dysfunctional" New Year's song.
Happy New Beginning, everyone!

Tom waits - new year's eve (bad as me)
Do no harm

backinthegame

Happy New Year - long time no visit; hope you are all well.

Happened across this today (not really that hard it was linked from wikipedia, but hey, I hadn't seen it)

http://web.archive.org/web/20071013155209/http://calamitydan.com/protect/john_from_cincinnatti.htm

Great to see that Calamity Dan's awesome site is archived for posterity!

SaveJFC Admin

Wow!  Great find! 

And they also have: http://calamitydan.com/protect/deadwood.htm

I have the site http://deadwoodchronicles.com and I didn't get all the pages from Dan when I took it over.  Now I can get what I missed!  Wonderful find indeed.  Now I just have to find time to finish the site!
Work here, Cass.

brig3456

Hey everyone... haven't been here in a while.... just read a report that the El Camino Motel may be torn down in the near future.

http://imperialbeach.patch.com/articles/el-camino-motel-demolition-marijuana-regulation-at-wednesday-council-meeting

"Doesn't ring a bell"

SaveJFC Admin

I feel really sad about this  :(

I know that it has to be done... It makes sense that it be done... but I'm still sad.  :'(

I added the news to our News page.
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

To all who are in the way of this monster storm (why's that the worst of'em got women's names?) - stay safe. Trishah, you must be under the direct hit - be well, be safe.
Love.
Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

Thank you Sven for your thoughts.

I'm 7 blocks, 1 mile, from the ocean.  We still have power but the wind is really kicking up now.  I'm on a slight hill so we have never flooded here... but 3 blocks from us does.  The eye of the storm will come ashore about 30 miles South of here.  The worse will come around midnight to 7am.  I have a lot of family around so I'm not worried. 

I'm trying to get computer work done while I still have power... If you don't hear from me, don't worry :)

Trishah
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

How are you, are you OK, Trishah? Please let us know whenever you can.
Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

Hello everyone!

It's me!  I survived  ;D  However we didn't have electric for over 8 days :(  I did have hot water, a Verizon copper land-line (has it's own power source ) and a hand-cranked radio.  But no electric or heat.  I found that keeping 4 candles burning kept my room at a consistent 50 degrees which was fine as long as I kept my hat and scarf on and stayed under the down comforter... the things you learn in an emergency!

My brother and his family live in the cottage in my backyard and they have a gas stove so they brought me hot meals and I made phone calls for them.  It worked out very well... all things considering.

I live 7 blocks from the ocean.  Most of the storm serge damage happened up to 4 blocks in.  And we have no trees in our yard or around us so we had no storm damage... except for a small leak from the chimney into the basement but it didn't damage anything. 

All in all we are VERY LUCKY!

Right now it's snowing!  I really glad we have heat!!!

This is the boardwalk 7 blocks from my house before Sandy hit:

This is the same boardwalk afterwards:

Work here, Cass.

Sven2

You survived, that's great, Trishah, you got us worried though! Great pics, the boardwalk gone, but there's a hardy soul walking around in shorts and a T.  ;D

After last year's freaky Halloween snowstorm we had a generator installed, have a battery-powered radio, a fireplace (can die of a heart attack or carbon monoxide living days close to it, I think.)

Hurricane force winds leave us powerless, the same with an earthquake, and we had "a temblor" couple weeks ago, carried here from a place in Maine in seconds. A strange experience, my first, felt mostly noise and some vibration, glass in the windows, etc.

What with the climate change, forecast is for 70 on Monday.

Glad you're OK. Do you have this gas rationing in your town?
Hope you stay in touch, life is scary sometimes and certainly unpredictable.

Love, S.

Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

We are a strong bunch here in Jersey!

We do have odd/even days for gas but not because of a fuel shortage but because many of the gas stations are not equipped to work on generations.  The gas in at the station but it just can't be pumped.  Gov. Christie says that will be changed in the future...  And he'll do it too!

We are the most Southern county of the original 12 counties that got the odd/even gas days, but since then all NJ counties are doing it just as a precaution.

Maybe the increase of earth quakes is related to the melting ice caps and permafrost?  When all that weight of ice is removed in one section it changes the tectonic weight distribution that needs to be relieved someplace else?  Just a thought...

There are still people without power and it's been 12 days!  I'm so glad we only had 8 days of it.

I'll still here and kicking... glad you are doing the same.

Monadista Power!

Trishah
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

One more time, with colder air and fields laid bare, we turn to gathering together, to celebrate.

Happy Thanksgiving to the ones that are close and the ones that are far, to ones present here and ones that will be always remembered.

Love and peace.
Sven

Twenty Questions

Did I forget to look at the sky this morning
when I first woke up? Did I miss the willow tree?
The white gravel road that goes up from the cemetery,
but to where? And the abandoned house on the hill,
   did it get
even a moment? Did I notice the small clouds so slowly
moving away? And did I think of the right hand
of God? What if it is a slow cloud descending
on earth as rain? As snow? As shade? Don't you think
I should move on to the mop? How it just sits there,
   too often
unused? And the stolen rose on its stem?
Why would I write a poem without one?
Wouldn't it be wrong not to mention joy? Sadness,
its sleepy-eyed twin? If I'd caught the boat
to Mykonos that time when I was nineteen
would the moon have risen out of the sea
and shone on my life so clearly
I would have loved it
just as it was? Is the boat
still in the harbor, pointing
in the direction of the open sea? Am I
still nineteen? Going in or going out,
can I let the tide make of me
what it must? Did I already ask that?

--Jim Moore
Do no harm

wavewatcher

I'm sitting here watching the 12/12/12 benefit when it dawned on me..Jersey Shore/Trishah!!! I immediately broke out the laptop and was relieved to see she made out all right. Been away too long from here. Great to see Sven, Cissy, Lily and Save all here...the beat goes on. We did ok, lost power for 2 weeks and had some very close calls with giant trees just missing my humble house. Several of my friends on the south shore saw major flooding of their ground floors and three of my co-workers lost their homes outright. My brother's in-laws built their dream home on Breezy Point and haven't been allowed back to survey their flood damage. All things considered we are all blessed that there were so few deaths...property can always be replaced or rebuilt.
I was just thinking the other day that I need more poetry in my life and now I remember where to find it! Love Sven's and Lily's choices...Got some catching up to do! Peace and love to all as the holidays approach. I'll be lurking around here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk