Main Menu

Hit Or Miss II

Started by Sven2, August 11, 2010, 08:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OceanFlower

hope taki feels better!  :-*
OceanFlower

skor

Thanks, Ocean. I was just scrolling back to see what was up with you-tests?-but didn't see it in this thread. I hope all is OK.

Sven2

No trace of cancer is great news, Skor, hope Taki has many more years ahead. How's your grading, done?
Now you've got no excuses - make plans, go places! I wish to go to Vancouver, although that rainy weather scares me; I assume it's rainy there, like in Seattle.

"Killing" is a stylish show, though the prolonged attention to the suffering of the parents seems excessive at times.
Finished "The Man from Beijing", it falls prey to the thriller genre and primitive tying up the ends ruined it for me.  The memoir part was very interesting.
Do no harm

OceanFlower

@skor: thanks for asking; well the derma doc cut it out as i said and they are doing a pathology on it just to make sure there isn't something else lurking below the basal type skin cancer which isn't that big of a deal so i'm told... the skin cancer was this little thing on my upper arm that looked like a pimple that never came of age but you should see the hunk of flesh the doc took... wasn't expecting it to be that big...    :-*

@sven: vancouver eh? hey i lived in Oregon for awhile and all it did was rain all day every day drove me nuts I moved back to So Cal in less than 3 mos I was never so glad to see the sun!   ;D
OceanFlower

skor

I was only in Vancouver once, but I loved the cosmopolitan feel of the city. And it was quite beautiful there. The rainy dampness of the NW coast can be daunting. My year in far northern CA left me longing for summer's warmth. It would be a fine place to visit, Sven, in the summer, why not? I have no idea what I am going to do in these next weeks. I am restless and longing for adventure. I'll wander in my own mind, I suppose.

Sven2

Come on, Skor, love of mine, I am sure you'd travel somewhere - with your Mom and sister, to visit with your boys! A mind can take one anywhere in the world and in any known time, it''s just keeping your eyes closed to the same tired view in the window gets difficult in summer, doesn't it?
As to my trip to Vancouver - after your both had confirmed my suspicions - thanks, bit no, thanks! (Oh, gosh, Madam Palin again, please! ::)
Do no harm

Sven2

Almost forgot, Flower, what's with you, man, it's only a piece of flesh, hey, people pay thousands of $$$$ for a liposuction.  :D :D :D
And seriously, let it be the least of your worries!
Do no harm

OceanFlower

@sven: yeah but she (the doctor) took it out of my manly looking arm not my dumpy looking gut! LOL!
OceanFlower

OceanFlower

wow! Just saw Let Me In last night...what an excellent flick! looks like Hammer films is making a come back with "horror" films now but not of the Frankenstein Dracula Mummy Wolf Man type like they did in the old days... so far the two I've seen the first entitled The Resident w/ Hillary Swank and now this are vastly superior to what passes for "horror" these days (some nut slashing co-eds up into hamburger patties is not my idea of true horror... far from it) any how Let Me In is based on a Swedish novel and screenplay called Let the Right One In... storyline: 12 year old bullied boy meets and hooks up w/ his new next door neighbor loner Abby played by ChloĆ« Grace Moretz... mark my words this little girl is gonna own H'wood as she matures...  so get this up on your Netflix que and fasten your seat belt it's one hell of a ride!!

Abby: You have to hit back.
Owen: I can't. There's 3 of them.
Abby: Then you hit back even harder

the best advice from a vampire i ever heard!!  :P
OceanFlower

skor

I'm not very mobile these days. It sucks. I thought I might have surgery this summer, but I'm now thinking I will have to wait a year. I have new insurance and even though it costs just about one 50% of my take home pay, it has a very high deductible and all kinds of hoops and hurdles. I haven't even had the MRI yet, so no definitive action plan. I just know it hurts like hell when I try to walk. So I am getting fatter and fatter, crabby and depressed and not my usual charming self, lol. Anyhow, I appreciate all the suggestions for movies, books, etc. I am watching lots of Netflix instants,, most are mediocre at best. I really liked The Kingdom, the Danish series by Lars Von Trier. I may have posted that here already, can't remember. Anyhow, worth watching. I'm reading Henry Miller's "The Air-conditioned Nightmare." I've picked it up and put it down several times, finally getting into it.

OceanFlower

no matter what your condition we still love you silly!  :-* hang in there sister!
OceanFlower

Sven2

FLOWER, the vampire flick is a Hollywood remake of the Scandinavian "Let The Right One In" which we  talked about here. Is it better than the original?

SKOR, I'm sorry you got the short end of the stick with the insurance, though maybe you shouldn't postpone the operation if the pain is so bad! Read the fine print, all the riders, and talk to the insurance rep, there might be some better solution than just waiting.

"The Kingdom" :o, oh, no, a cancerous liver as a trophy - that's too much. By the way, isn't Von Trier the guy who got kicked out of Cannes for "understanding" Hitler?  His new - "Melancholy" - thanks, I've got enough of my own!

I'll look in my Netflix queue for you.
As Flower said - hang in there!

Do no harm

OceanFlower

@ sven did we? oy! i'm losing my short term memories! i'll have to see the original first to make that verdict but the american version is definitely a keeper! I also viewed All Good Things w/ Ryan Gosling Kristen Dunst and Frank Langella based on the true story of the most notorious unsolved murder case in New York which means the rich can get away with murder... Dunst is excellent in this film she portrays such a depressed coked out wife that after awhile i didn't even recognize her... Gosling as the psycho husband also excellent... and Frank his usual par excellence acting as expected...

@skor yep same thing happens to me: they take a chunk out of my paycheck then the co-pay and then i still get these hugh medical bills
OceanFlower

Sven2

You know, Flower, how warriors decorate their bodies and faces with scars - to show their power over enemies? You beat one, so wear the badge! Congrats!

Skor, I recently watched "Biutiful". There are darkest of dark - unredeemed deaths, miserable poverty and painful illness and still - it's a movie I'd recommend as a remedy against despair. Maybe for the beautiful picture of the next world (or afterlife), maybe for the inherent decency of the main character, maybe for the kids that are our own immortality, don't know.

Other one (mentioned here already, I think) is "Stone" - E.Norton, Milla Jovovich and Robert De Niro.
Last night "Taking Woodstock" came on the TV, and I ended watching it again all the way thru the end. Those were the times! :)

Looked at my Netflix queue, couldn't find anything that I hadn't sent you previously, sorry. A lot of the movies are not on DVD yet. Hope you're feeling better, at least for the hot and sunny weather. Will it last is another question!
Do no harm

skor

I'm working my way through the Dogme 95 films.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogme_95
It's amazing how much Danish I am recapturing just by watching the films.
Speaking of Danish, this year was the thirty third year I have talked to my ex boyfriend on my birthday, he has not missed one year. He has remained a bachelor farmer way up on the northwest coast of Jutland where the trees are bent from the constant winding blowing in from the North Sea. Anyhow, his farm is powered entirely by that wind, and so is his entire village. We are n the stone age when it comes to renewable energy.
Other than the often bleak Scandinavian films I went and saw "Water for Elephants." Girls night out at the theater that serves wine! I had read the book, which I loved, and while the movie was a less complex version of the story, it was excellent. Beautifully filmed. I have the feeling that I may have posted that on here already. That happens to me, I forget what I poste where and when, sorry.
Thanks for the recommendations, Sven. How the hell are you, anyhow?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk