News:

We still have stickers and magazines from the original Save John From Cincinnati Campaign for sale HERE!

Main Menu

Hit Or Miss II

Started by Sven2, August 11, 2010, 08:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sven2

Cissy, we got no redwood forests here, just pines and more pines. I'd be excited to live in a grove with the view of a river, although I'd prefer the ocean view! Could you get an RV? Then you'd be free to travel with the seasons up and down the coast, making stops anywhere you wish.

As to "My name Is Earl", I didn't see any of it, but think that Show is filming something close, they announced a new show "Shameless" with William Macy.

Hope you will settle in that redwoods!
Do no harm

skordamou

Hi Everyone, It makes me happy to see you here, discussing things back and forth. I have nothing much to say, I was reading "Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson,  I liked it but misplaced it so I read a few Ruth Rendell mysteries, and now I must have read them all, even the Barbara Vines, I think, and now I will go hunt for my book again because I was liking it and besides it is overdue at the library.
I have been relatively immobile and feeling lethargic and not all that great. My head is filled with cotton, or maybe it is dryer lint.

OceanFlower

in a big rush i will answer movie ?? 2morrow or via email!
OceanFlower

Sven2

Skor, "Out Stealing Horses" sounds like a diary of an outlaw! Have you found it? Luckily our library allows to renew books online. Property taxes here are outrageous though!

Got a collection of short stories "Orange County Noir", to feed my obsession with all things Californian.
Saw "The Runaways", confirming that Dakota Fanning has no talent. Nothing else is there to say about the movie, the band was much better than that hapless depiction.
Do no harm

skordamou

I want to hear about "I am Love."
I haven't found my book yet, but I haven't looked, either. I will do that on Friday. I can't face the disater that has become my room, not right now, soon I must.
"Out Stealing Horses" is a very well written rather bleak story of a Norwegian man who desires solitude. I am so draw to the Scandinavian.
We abandoned Oyster Monday and DeWolf Tavern and although I was the one who decided that the quality had slipped to the unacceptable and it was time to move on, I miss it. Nothing has come along to fill that bit of social life, so I am quite the boring one these days. Just trying to get healthy.

Sven2

No more OYSTERS?  ???   "Boring" or "bored", Skor, is that the "same difference"?  :D You are certainly not boring!

About "I Am Love".  I'm impressed by the many parallels and influences - Madam Bovary, DH Lawrence, Antonioni, Visconti, etc., that every critic had noticed, and completely unaffected emotionally. Too perfect work, too studied and excessively artsy, almost lifeless. Tilda Swinton has the haunting presence and the beauty, I would like to see more of her work. As to being a Russian woman in the movie - no, there would be a completely opposite play of passion.
Let's just say she is a foreigner, that's enough for the film concept. It's pleasant to watch for skillful cinematography and unhurried pace, not the usual high voltage chases.
Do no harm

OceanFlower

Quote from: Sven2 on October 14, 2010, 11:23:22 PM
Oh, do you, really?

Flower, who's the murderer in "The Secret In Their Eyes"? There was a very ambiguous answer, even if one was to accept that both characters are traumatized and damaged for life. I liked the ironical treatment of the over-melodramatic scene at the train station, that was good. Thanks for the recommendation.

"I Am Love" is next on my Netflix, should be interesting Italian movie. No, I don't like slashers, Hawaii or not.

Anybody watching any good TV shows? Do tell!

to my recollection it was the kid that they arrested and then turned into an agent for the secret police... remember when the woman prosecutor is questioning him and calls his arms macaroni or whatever and then exposes himself or vice versa he cops to it then...didn't that film have a The Girl. . . . feel to it in a way??

OceanFlower

Sven2

Flower, I saw the "Girl Who Played With Fire", not as original as the first of the trilogy in my opinion. Is the movie close to the book?

I have got about 15 new books - bought and taken from the library, and have not opened more than two!

Thought to tell you that after reading Best Short Stories 2010 (Pen/O'Henry Award selection) I think some of the writers are hopeless amateurs, and that brought me back to Cheever, Oates ("A Sentimental Education" is excellent!) and Flannery O'Connor. Oh, and accidentally (was close on the shelf) to Anais Nin "Little Birds", you'd like that, I am sure.  Back to basics, as it happened.

Short stories in the "Award" series were submitted by magazines,  it was their WHOLE content, all the published short stories for the year. Amazing, how much work that presented to the jury! There is a long list of magazines at the end of the anthology, if you care. I bet your library has it.
Do no harm

OceanFlower

yes i was a little disappointed in the Fire episode... the book is soooooo much better and fills in a lot of the empty spaces that the movie seems to leave gaping... but then again if someone just saw the movie w/o reading the book maybe they wouldn't know the difference... in the book Harriet Vanger is still very much a presence... and Salander has a twin sister which i don't think the either movie touches on... but basically they did stick to the story... now the Hornet's Nest! i am about 3/4 way thru the book & am waiting impatiently for the film!! yeah yeah! and hey that was really Paolo Roberto in the movie!!

i just saw Winter's Bone kinda depressing in a way but a well made film about hillbilly meth dealers in Appalachia... very grim! oh I got Lost In Rio: OSS 117 a spoof on the James Bond movies... i'll give it a B+ not as funny as i thought it was gonna be but it does have it moments.. its sort of like Clouseau on an international level.. next in my que The Sicilian Girl due out 11/30 i was so bored the other day when it was raining i watched Dr Strangelove on the free movie channel... i saw that in the theatre in 1964--what an outstanding film.. i still laughed at the cold war jokes!!
OceanFlower

Sven2

Saw "Winter's Bone", yes, depressing, however not completely hopeless picture, the children are resilient and will prevail.  John Hawkes has stole the movie, I think, - he is brilliant in this role, quietly tragic.

Did you see "Dance With The Stranger" - a murder/love story with Miranda Richardson and Rupert Everett? Can't find it anywhere - not on Netflix, not at Blockbuster. Some good movies are simply history, you can only read about that, it's ridiculous!

I watched (like an addict) "Skins", a BBC TV series, - youngsters, drugs and raves galore, lots of teenage angst and sex of course. Don't know why it got to me, probably the raw energy of youth is the attraction. Very interesting dramatic structure, every episode is centered on one character's story, at the same time weaving in the whole crowd.

Stay around, Flower, you're good to read! How's your thyroid, not acting up, I hope?
Cissy, Skor, Laurel, are you alright? Waxon, old friend, where are you?
I really don't read Facebook anymore, although  remember and still love everyone related to JFC, (remember CC, Waxon? :D :D :D :D)
Patrick, Farley, Back? Would be nice if on occasion some would honor this BB with their royal presence! :-*

Anyways......

Do no harm

OceanFlower

was Hawkes Teardrop?? whew what a strange culture...
OceanFlower

skordamou

I'm here. I'm OK. Not doing well, actually, but well enough to type this and that counts in the world of the internet, right? I haven't seen, done read or even thought anything of interest lately. Just ate some roasted cauliflower and that was the high point of my day. Week, maybe.

Sven2

OUCH, baby! Bummer....

Although thoughts are mighty powerful, especially the scattered and uncalled for. As to reading - the best books have been read in our youth. The rest is just repetition. A drugstore of oblivion.

And so, back to the potion!  8) :P :D I just finished a short story about Greek political prisoners in 1970 held on one of the islands. Skor, were many of the islands turned into prisons? All?

They were artists and poets, for God's sake! Such danger for a regime. Recalled my friends of long ago, painting their pictures in the belly of the city, in wet, unheated, pitch dark underground caverns, basements of old tenements.

OK, Skor is accounted for, Zippy, Laurel, Waxon, "come out, come out, wherever you are!" (Sorry, a quote)

Do no harm

Sven2

Flower, FYI: someone wrote a book - about 400 pages, - all IN ONE SENTENCE.
I, being dismayed, forgot immediately the name and the book's title, remember only that it starts with Z.
If there is a deity of modernism, he is celebrating. What  a literary waterboarding! Although I am happy that you still use paragraphs...... :P

Don't disappear, OK?
Do no harm

OceanFlower

sven--i'm here! been going thru dem changes! remember what i said about john lennon right?

skor--wtf! email me at work or i you i guess--to paraphrase seinfeld, i go away for a few days and the whole operation falls to pieces!!   ???

still working thru the Girl who kicked the Hornets Nest... I have North Face lined up in netflix q for the wkend

oh yeah saw a film called Tetro dir by FF Coppola w/ Vincent Gallo... not sure what they were trying to achieve here but nevertheless beautifully filmed in glorious black and white... Vincent may over act a tad but worth a watch i'd say

BTW for all u film buffs: on TCM 10pm On the Beach w/ Gregory Peck Ava Gardner Fred Astaire Anthony Perkins (pre-Psycho) about the survivors of a nuclear war living in Australia--no zombies no marauding cannibalistic biker gangs raping & killing their way across the continent... i read the book by Nevile Shute when i was a kid & saw the film in the theatre 1959-60; if you can't watch get the dvr rolling--yippee we're all gonna die!!

I saw they re-released some Hendrix cds last tues--ah save your money honeys--if you want some hendrix drop me a line & i'll burn u a cd free of charge Peace & Stay Free!
OceanFlower

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk