News:

We now have TWO sites!  The original johnfromcincinnati.net  and the New JohnFromCincinnati.net.  Yet there is only one forum so it doesn't matter which site you are on, the forum is the same.  ENJOY!  and "Work here, Cass."

Main Menu

Hit Or Miss II

Started by Sven2, August 11, 2010, 08:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sven2

Finished "The Good Son", interesting book with the most artificially inflated ending, felt cheated, that happens, the end is usually the hardest part. Started "The German Woman".
New crop of books recommended by Amazon is coming on the market, where to find time to read! Flower, what about you? Anyone?
No good movies from Netflix, saw 2 not funny comedies, "City Island" and "Leap Year",  and regret that.
Do no harm

OceanFlower

part of the reason i get up at like 3am... i can spend at least an hour reading before i have to enter the real world... and on the days when i'm not walking or running etc i can spend an hour b4 dinner reading... so amazingly i'm able to knock down a few books a month... i also read maybe three books at a time... as archie said to edith, I'll be in the reading room!
OceanFlower

OceanFlower

THE KILLER INSIDE ME this is one hell of an intense film... based on Jim Thompson's crime novel of the same name... since I read the book I knew what was gonna happen more or less... but I'm afraid if you haven't read the book you may not be able to follow what's going on in re: to some of the flashbacks... e.g.

the young Lou was the one who actually sexually abused the five year old girl and his older brother took the rap for it

the pics Lou finds in the Bible and the flashbacks he has with the woman with her bare bruised buttocks was the housekeeper when his Dad the doctor was alive...

everything else i guess is pretty straightforward...

Matthew Maher portrays a deputy sheriff...

i also read Thompson's auto-bio of sorts and he based the psycho killer Lou's character on an actual deputy he met once who had come to the lonely oil field where he was working at the time to either arrest him or serve papers... wore the leather gloves and subtlely threatened Thompson's life... it scared the hell out of him!

Thompson also wrote The Getaway which was produced twice by Hollywood--the McQueen version is vastly superior and one of my all time favorite films The Grifters...  with a young Annette Bening running nude as often as she can... 
OceanFlower

Cissy

I have a different sort of doctor, I've known him, he's been my doc, for over half my life, anyway, last time I went in wife and daughter had brought in novels they were done with and left them on the end table, just take if you're interested. I found The White-Haired Girl~ Bittersweet Adventures of a Little Red Soldier, Jaia Sun-Childers (with a little help from the 'white ghost' hubby) The copy I have is an advance uncorrected proof, so I don't know if the photos made it into the final printing, but it's a good book, go inside the world and mind of some one most women can relate to during those years, the Mao years for her, for us, well, we're all different ages, but if we're old enough to know better, we get to look inside that cultures evolution. It certainly was different than ours, the hard and fast history, yet we are all so same inside that though this was a period of change big and huge for most of the planet, our hearts, our child minds experienced it all in much the same way.
I just love that you guys are discussing stuff I can see too cuz I have netflix too :) Friends reviewing films for me! Everything does go around.

I make a point of watching Modern Family because I like it, I love Ed getting the girl! My old fantasy of Bill marries Jerri sort of fleshed out.  ;)

Thanks, I just found the Mentalist guy and I really like him, some one mentioned somewhere here a film he's made, looking forward to trying that out.

How come the cute guys on tv are so short?

My 30 something son really likes Men of a Certain Age, I do too, offering it up here, since I noticed they showed the pilot again last week.
If I'm posting on the wrong thread, I'm sure someone will tell me. Right?
A lonesome high
A funny time cry
The blues
The blues
The blues

OceanFlower

nope... right on target as far i can see!  ;D
OceanFlower

Cissy

Thanks Osh, for letting me know I got it right! It's good to be reading you again. And it's great to see everyone, Laurel and Skor, Save and just everyone!
Skor, I really want to do a retro! I need it, I really need it, and now, I could watch again, and it would come through... 2 weeks ago, I don't think I could
have, watched JFC again I mean, but I just gave it some time and some space, and I'm finding parts of me and they are coming back together more easily
each day. Yeah, let's watch our show again!
A lonesome high
A funny time cry
The blues
The blues
The blues

Sven2

Cissy, not seeing your face in the mirror - that's a terrible experience, but you've expressed it beautifully. Should I say again how I always enjoy reading your posts? If you have time, would you please, find the poem you mentioned, would be great if you'd share it here!

As to TV shows, here are my choices: Dexter, Weeds, Boardwalk Empire, The Event, Terriers (filmed in San Diego and there's a bulldog). "The Event" is groomed as a replica of "Lost", but I watch it for the aliens connection. "Boardwalk Empire"  delivers flair of Prohibition with all the "trimmings", although the mobsters are as interesting as a pool of sharks, just blood and more blood for money.

Flower, I bought (for $5.99) the last "Girl" of the trilogy, didn't open it yet. Got "Surf Guru" and more from the library, and, alas! - am reading pulp fiction, "Rain Gods", that's bad of me!   :o :D
Do no harm

OceanFlower

Surf Guru? what dat??   ???
OceanFlower

OceanFlower

is anybody alive out there???  ???

Watched The Perfect Getaway over the weekend... totally threw me for a loop... I actually watched it 3 times... the Hawaiian backdrop is breathtaking!
OceanFlower

Cissy

Osh, you actually posted at 4:20 today.  :D. I like finding the clock at numbers that surprise me a little, like 12:34, 11:11, stuff like that. Small things amuse small minds? lol

I will go look for the little poem and come back to here, Hit or Miss. I'm rusty, it's short, I figure it is a hit or a miss!
A lonesome high
A funny time cry
The blues
The blues
The blues

OceanFlower

OceanFlower

Sven2

4:20 a.m. is when birds start their day, earlier in spring and summer though. Good time to wake up, listen to them and then go back to your dreams. :P

"Surf Guru" is nothing, forget it. I am reading "The More You Owe Me" - a story of Elisabeth Bishop trip to Brazil that was supposed to last two weeks and was a beginning of a great love that ended only with death, as that must be with love, I got to add.

Have another novel (a friendship gone wrong story,  somewhere around Santa Barbara, my dream destination) "Twentynine Palms" (sic!)

"The Perfect Getaway" thanks, Cissy, poor Olyphant is playing a psycho, right?  
Where is the poem, have you found it? Don't ask where the conversation is, it's where you are, so - speak up! :D
Do no harm

OceanFlower

when you go to Santa Barbara I can serve as your personal guide and attendant... i know that place like the back of my hand!

you have to see The Perfect Getaway!
OceanFlower

Sven2

Oh, do you, really?

Flower, who's the murderer in "The Secret In Their Eyes"? There was a very ambiguous answer, even if one was to accept that both characters are traumatized and damaged for life. I liked the ironical treatment of the over-melodramatic scene at the train station, that was good. Thanks for the recommendation.

"I Am Love" is next on my Netflix, should be interesting Italian movie. No, I don't like slashers, Hawaii or not.

Anybody watching any good TV shows? Do tell!

Do no harm

Cissy

I watched Not Forgotten on Netflix, I really do have a little crush on Simon Baker. B film for sure, but when Mexico starts with it's music and it's unintentional colors, it's magic to me, I can't resist. Not the culture, not the music, nothing, I'm drawn in. He did keep that Brit accent really out of that picture too. I was so glad it was a death is part of life cult instead of a Satanic one, I have issues there.
Different director, a bit of a rewrite, that could be a good film, ya know?

(i must admit that i am completely drawn to My Name is Earl, nice of netflix to stream it for me. i like it so much, i'm looking at a trailer park! Well, not a normal one, one that's stuck in a redwood forest, right next to the Gualala River, and there's a redwood grove on the property too. Private as only that far away from everything living can provide. Plus, it's what I can afford, i don't like paying rent!)
A lonesome high
A funny time cry
The blues
The blues
The blues

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk