News:

We still have stickers and magazines from the original Save John From Cincinnati Campaign for sale HERE!

Main Menu

Hit Or Miss II

Started by Sven2, August 11, 2010, 08:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OceanFlower

oh man i'll have to read that one! what's the title again? i mean the surf board one... there are on the market some sort of bracelets or anklets that one is supposed to wear that also pulses some sort of electro shock wave thing but most seasoned surfers with a working knowledge of sharks esp great whites scoff at such things which encourage false bravery etc... keeping in mind that more people are injured or maimed by toilet cleaning products than shark attacks these inventions seem like a scam if you ask me...  oddly in the case of GWs the colder the water the more apt you are to run into one... they are warm blooded and like the cooler waters to stay cool... it also gives them the edge in the hunt since other fish are cold blooded and move a little slower... i guess you might say anything that's been around for 400 million years is gonna learn how to adapt one way or the other... and here's a twist... in the latest Surfer Journal a bunch of ancient surfer dudes are protesting against one of the last shark tour boats on the North Shore... the crew chum the waters so the tourists can watch the GWs eat their free lunch... the surfers say this will a) reinforce the notion of the food/human connection enhancing the danger of attacks b) will make the sharks "lazy" in the sense they will unlearn how to hunt and just show up for a free lunch everyday... like it or not the GWs and other predator sharks like the mako and tiger are kinda like the police of the ocean... do i want to meet one? NO! just like i don't want to meet a croc or a tiger or a polar bear... in the book Devil's Teeth the author relates a story about how some animal rescue squad nursed a seal back to health named it Stumpy and for some unknown reason decided to release the poor thing in one of the most shark infested waters on the planet... while the do gooders were watching their little mascot make a turn around the boat after its "release into the wild" a GW came up and snapped its head off! you can't fool Mother Nature!!   :P
OceanFlower

zippyfan

Step Into Liquid...making its rounds on pay movie channels. Must-see for surfing afficionados.

Sven2

What about boogie board enthusiasts, is there an inspiring movie for them?  ::)

Thanks, Zippy, it's on Netflix.
Next to it is "180 South", a documentary "1968 van trip to Patagonia, South America, a band of bliss-seeking surfer-mountaineers sets out -- in 2007." Exotic, I guess.
Do no harm

Sven2

Oh, Flower, have a pity, at least a paragraph or two? A single Upper case wouldn't kill you, would it?

The book is "Under the Shadow of a Cypress", I think. Don't get excited, the invention is just a symbol of good karma the main character deserved for protecting ancient secrets and honoring ancestors' will.

GW abbreviation brings to mind the 43th!  :o
Do no harm

OceanFlower

sven baby it can't be helped i'm a graduate of the jack kerouac/ee cummings school of beatnik poetics!

zippy yeah i saw that... i was kinda broke at the time so couldn't afford the buy... i hope i get this story right but i read somewhere when brown made Endless Summer II (see the caps sven?) he wouldn't allow one of the surfers featured in the first flick to appear in the second because of his history with drugs and alcohol... c'mon! that's what surfers do!!

and btw just try and find the original soundtrack of ES I by the Shadows... the original I say!
OceanFlower

skordamou

I have not watched TV since "John From Cincinnati" went off the air. OK, not entirely true, I did watch a couple of seasons of "True Blood", and I do catch a segment from Rachel or Keith on the rare occasion. I live upstairs now, and really don't want to get a TV up here, easier to just skip it. But once I find and send back the films I have had since May, I will start watching Netflix again. I had a list compiled, but it disappeared when I lost my hard drive this summer.I would appreciate suggestions for movies and possibly TV shows, if they are really worth it. I never did see season 5 of Dexter, will start with that.

The books I mentioned are worth it, they were among the books making the rounds when I was in CA, each is a quick read, just a day or so. There was something perhaps a bit pat in Benioff's "City of Thieves", but it was a great read. The other, "Sputnik Sweetheart",(Murakami), not pat at all, has that modern Japanese sensibility, a bit post modern, I liked.

I am not moving this am. Reading my nonfiction "Empire....' book.

This afternoon I must go to the dermatologist in Newport, will I run into Sven? Anything is possible and stranger things have happened...(I will be wearing a silver octopus pin)

Sven2

And you have just missed a grinning lobster in plaid shorts with the circus binoculars! I think I looked absolutely stunning, all for you, mylady!

Do no harm

OceanFlower

dang! sorry i missed that, svennie!  :P

skorda... you might want to try Abandoned Brittany Murphy's last film...

I was trying to get Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow but netflix doesn't have that one so I got the Tenth Victim with Marcello Mastrianni (sp) and Ursula Andress... 1964... this flick was far ahead of its time... a kind of futuristic sci-fi thriller and you know what i noticed? all the girls in this flick...  well, had some meat on them... including Ursula... not the stick figures we get today...

I have lined up a flick called Not Forgotten with the guy from the Mentalist... its about this middle class successful family guy whose past as a satanic priest gets exposed...
OceanFlower

Sven2

Marcello Mastroianni is such an incredible Casanova (of his time), I saw quite few Italian movies with him, he's always a charmer.

Satanic priest, that's like True Blood, huh?  ::) :D My favorite movie about the satanism is "Exorcism of Emily Rose". There is another, very old Polish movie about a (catholic, should I mention it, but who else but catholic!) priest who is supposed to exorcise a nun. The movie is  a series of scenes where the characters are separated by an iron grid, never in physical contact. I remember well the nun, beautiful young woman, she is just in love with the priest and shows it, in all ways possible. It's at times eroticism and mostly desperation. Don't remember the title, it was too long ago.

"The Good Son" is build on a premise that conflicts in the hot zone of Pakistan, Iraq, etc. is a consequence of some mental/emotional disorder the nations are suffering. Will report on the book later, when done with it.

Skor, you read good books, make killer cocktails and I often miss you. Truly yours, Sven. :-*
Do no harm

skordamou

I'm glad to hear that you kiss me, Sven. I miss you, too. I miss everyone here also. But last night, Svennie, I was out to dinner. DWT was quite full for a Thurs., I think because it was so hot and still and it felt as if it could be the last true summer day, at that point no one really knew what the storm would bring, so there was a buzz of energy, not actually worry, just concern. We sat outside by the bay and I ate heirloom tomatoes with chevre paratha and a half dozen oysters, I even ordered a few raw littlenecks, thinking that if the storm was a bad one the clamming might not be good for awhile. I was drinking a Hangar One keffir lime gimlet made with fresh lime juice. Anyhow, I was sitting there talking with Taki and Thierry, celebrating having made it through the first week back to work, when I noticed this couple off at a corner table where it was quite dark, and the woman kept looking at me, almost-not quite- flirting, a little smile, a toss of the head, sweet gestures, but when I would meet her eye she and her man would bend their heads together and whisper. They were an attractive couple, casual yet elegant, the woman had lovely hair reddish blond with natural looking waves. I discretely wandered behind their table, trying to catch their words, to perhaps detect slightly accented English, but alas, when I was close to them they said not a word. and so I never knew for sure...but it was, wasn't it?

skordamou

Hahahahahahahahaha I meant to write "miss", but I wrote "kiss", what's that about? Totally innocent and I have only been drinking ginger ale, so no excuses!

Tomorrow is my day to read, I will go through all of these books I have taken from the shelves brought down from the attic, and I will read.

Sven2

Quote from: skordamou on September 03, 2010, 11:51:37 PM
I discretely wandered behind their table, trying to catch their words, to perhaps detect slightly accented English, but alas, when I was close to them they said not a word. and so I never knew for sure...but it was, wasn't it?

As you wish..... Ah, but isn't it eavesdropping? Just imagine, what if they were spies with years and years of practice!

Do no harm

skordamou

Well I was TRYING to eavesdrop, but could not. Yes, spies, of course that explains it. I hear they are everywhere these days. Here it is after 2am and no storm has come our way. That is a good thing, it is so sad when trees tumble down in the wind.

OceanFlower

oh man skor and sven kissing? one of my most vivid fantasies come true!!    :-*

hoo-hah!

Not Forgotten wasn't bad... it was actually a death cult not a satanic cult (?)...  a little bloody at times but i thought it was good B horror thriller flick..

just saw Solitary Man w/ Michael Douglas... excellent! but it does have a groaner of an ending... MD is really talented he can play any role... good guy bad guy slimeball womanizer you name it! just as an aside the girl from the Office is in this the one that just got married on the show... she was really good and played a very forceful character as MD's semi-estranged daughter...

also saw My Name Is Khan kinda ironic i watched this on 9/11... about an autistic Muslim from India in the USA and the prejudice he meets up with... its kinda like a Bollywood Forrest Gump... it got a little draggy for me... and here we are in 2010 and they still are putting up these little teeny tiny captions in white letters that are barely readable! oy! yellow subtitles is the only way to go! i missed half the dialog because of this!!

the library finally came thru with a copy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... I'm mesmerized!
OceanFlower

Sven2

I am still with "The Good Son", (very busy now) learning a lot about customs of Pashtun,  their tribal loyalties. Fascinating. The main female character is a former circus girl, turned Jung psychologist who is a Muslim and a Catholic (love that pluralism, what a wonderful liberating religion could arise from the unlikely symbiosis!) who is captured by those tribesmen under Al-Q control. Tortured, of course, humiliated, but will prevail, I hope, being spiritual and intelligent.

Good luck with the "Girl", Flower, stay away from "death cult", that's sick!
Do no harm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk