News:

Welcome to the JohnFromCincinnati.net & johnfromcincinnati.net forum.  An extraordinary show brought us together... Extraordinary people keep us coming back.

Main Menu

Hit Or Miss II

Started by Sven2, August 11, 2010, 08:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sven2

What are you watching and reading?
Do no harm

Sven2

Our old friend, who's now experiencing personal difficulties, accidentally deleted few very popular threads. My apologies to all who contributed their time and efforts, shared their thoughts and knowledge. "Shit happens" and unfortunately life is not a box of chocolates.

However we shouldn't let the discussion be silenced. The show must go on, love Queen!
Do no harm

laurel

:D :D "Shit happens" and unfortunately life is not a box of chocolates.  :D :D Sven, I didn't realize you had such a sense of HUMOR... I can't wait to use that line.....

OceanFlower

you never know what u r gonna get right?
OceanFlower

laurel

That's Okay with me as long as I don't get the chocalate covered cherry.

BTW, nice to meet you oceanflower........

Sven2

No, Laurel, that's not my sense of humor (unfortunately), that's just two quotes from "Forrest Gump".

Flower, any new books you read recently? I saw "Ghost Writer", Bronson is such a wuss, really, (probably one if the worst James Bonds), his casting in the movie was strategically right. The inevitable (spoiler alert, don't read!) bad end is not very Hollywood, haha. Yeah, and if Brits don't have MI6, huh? They all have a department of "wet jobs". Sorry, that's KGB slang though. Must be  called somethin' else.

Saw "Triage" with Colin Farrell, he is good when not playing a hysterical psycho, and in this movie was subtle and truly sad. The acquittal of Franco fascists-criminals sounds to me like a case of aborted justice though, I can't agree with forgiveness beforehand. First - the trial. 
Saw "Ice Harvest", for Billy Bob Thornton. Relatively harmless character (of John Cusack) gets the worm, with some sense of balancing the bad and good, that was OK.

Am waiting for "Green Zone".

Laurel, what were you watching? Foxie, you? Anyone? Flower has to rejuvenate, regenerate and just get his groove back, so help!
Do no harm

laurel

I so wish I could contribute and say that I get a movie to watch occassionaly, unfortunately not.
My life is so busy with my child, my job, a husband and a mother to take care of I have no time to watch a movie on TV much less rent one.
My plate is full, my heart is closed, and my mind is busy.  Such a life.

I hope to one day be able to stop and smell the roses.  It's just not in the cards for me at this time.

OceanFlower

i read Tell No One... totally different ending than the movie with quite a twist... why the script writers decided to change the plot is beyond me... much better...

Now reading the Devil's Teeth about the Farrollone Islands about 20 miles off shore of San Francisco and the study of great white sharks... as a broken down surfer this is fascinating stuff... great whites are older than trees and are probably the closest thing we have to an actual prehistoric "monster" still roaming the earth... they are extremely smart cunning not easily fooled and apparently have "personalities" ... but still would not want to meet one face to face under any circumstances.. the author is Susan Casey who just released Rogue Wave (?) which i'm on the waiting list for...  altho i love the ocean and the sea any salt water body i'm a total surface guy... going a few miles underwater just don't do it for me... riding the waves is fine thank you!  ;)
OceanFlower

Sven2

Never more misleading statement was uttered, Laurel! Taking care of your son, husband and mother can't close your heart, it just fills it to the brim!
That's a blessing - to have people to love and care for, loneliness is a merciless killer.

Anyways, what do you want to say on the subject of mass media, or anything related?

I sometimes get amused by the "pop ups" and commercial ads, like I was once informed that "Today Is International Bra Day". And I thought we only have "Secretary Day" and "Woodcutters Day".  I felt suddenly very behind the curve!  :D

Laurel, smell the roses with your family, that's the best. Love.
Do no harm

Sven2

Flower, what is "Red Wave" about? Surfing? Environment? LOVE? (ha-ha)

I saw "Green Zone", an exemplary political post-mortem of the WMD lies, Judith Miller lies and the one tragically doomed  enterprise called War In Iraq. Very good, just... should've been shown sometime in October 2004, before the country validated Bush for the second term. Though I think that would've accomplished nothing anyways.  

Leaving for a week vacation with a bunch of books I grabbed yesterday, don't remember any titles, all new releases, but not bestsellers. Will tell if anything is worth reading.

I will check on y'all!
Love.
Do no harm

OceanFlower

actually it's called The Wave... but the subject is I believe what is called a rogue wave meaning huge like in the Perfect Storm... tsunami style...
OceanFlower

Sven2

Sounds interesting. I'll read a review first - yours! :)

Read few pages of  "Boulevard", about 15 yr old runaway girl in LA. Good style, will read more. Not much time for reading though. Post your stories, Flower, we are good, aren't we?

The rest of the crowd must be busy working.

"Hi" to everyone anyways.
Do no harm

OceanFlower

just got done reading the Devil's Teeth about the study of great white sharks... the title actually refers to the shape of the Farrallone Islands as they appear on the horizon not the double set of chompers on the sharks themselves.... every year the great whites congregate around these islands & the females called the Sisters can grow as large as 25 feet long and almost 8 feet wide at the head.... that is like a bus coming at you with sharp 3 inch long teeth.... okay next time i go surfing or swimming or whatever i'm gonna do my darnedest to not look like a seal!! what's interesting is that those who have survived shark attacks didn't even feel it when it happened... one guy had his leg totally engulfed in a shark's jaws from knee to toe while he was sitting on his board... he whacked the shark on the nose and it let go and as it did so angrily whipped its tailfin around and hit him in the face which required 100 stitches! wow!   :o
OceanFlower

OceanFlower

Abandoned with the late Brittany Murphy... her last flick.... a kind of Hitchcockian film noir thriller... good tense twisty plot... Peter Bogdanovich steals the show as the head shrinker... but Brittany.. so sad! she's kinda got that Veronica Lake thing going... definitely could've been the film noir queen of the 21st century! yeah!   :(
OceanFlower

Sven2

Brittany Murphy could've been and should've been, that's true, Flower. There was strange vulnerability in her screen image.

Coincidentally the novel by Steinbeck son that I read recently,  tells about an invention of a surfboard equipped with an electroshock device that repels sharks, bringing the author of the device serious money. Not sure if such thing exists.

Finished "Boulevard", never knew there are "baby trannies", or that Santa Monica Boulevard is an underage meat market. The standardized plot is somewhat disappointing, the unrequited love/friendship of runaway girl for a gay boy is melodramatic but touching.

Started "The Good Son", heavy book to hold at the ocean edge though! Literally heavy, hardcover.
Skor, the books you mentioned I didn't read. Worth the time?
Do no harm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk