News:

NEW Media Gallery!  Add your images and then add them to your posts!  Enjoy!

Main Menu

Questions, Answers and Theories

Started by Waxon, June 22, 2010, 11:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waxon

Took a quick look at that and Joe actually says: "The three stooges" as he drives up to Ramon and Meyer.  Meyer takes a look around for the "third" but seems to know who he is dealing with and leaves it alone.  

I put the image on the facebook wall: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=283707286528

As Joe's van approaches, Meyer reminds Ramon that the Snug may no longer be used for Joes's underground railroad.  This leads me to believe Meyer, Ramon and Joe have had a number of dealings together.  I think without meaning to, Joe has included himself in the trio.  Take a look at the side view mirror of the van.

Eccles

Quote from: Waxon on June 30, 2010, 12:13:39 AM
Took a quick look at that and Joe actually says: "The three stooges" as he drives up to Ramon and Meyer.  Meyer takes a look around for the "third" but seems to know who he is dealing with and leaves it alone.  

As Joe's van approaches, Meyer reminds Ramon that the Snug may no longer be used for Joes's underground railroad.  This leads me to believe Meyer, Ramon and Joe have had a number of dealings together.  I think without meaning to, Joe has included himself in the trio.  Take a look at the side view mirror of the van.

"Stooges" it is. Thanks. I found what you wrote very helpful.

Sven2

Palaka and Freddy  relationship always makes me wonder about "how" and "why" when I watch JFC (didn't count how many times, probably more than 20, :D)

Palaka is seemingly a "constant victim" of Freddy, being beaten, humiliated, etc. Why is he so devote, loyal, is that an element of psychological dependency, when for example, a woman stays with an abusive husband?

I hope Eccles has an interesting interpretation!

Do no harm

Eccles

Quote from: Sven2 on July 01, 2010, 10:43:01 AM
Palaka and Freddy  relationship always makes me wonder about "how" and "why" when I watch JFC (didn't count how many times, probably more than 20, :D)

Palaka is seemingly a "constant victim" of Freddy, being beaten, humiliated, etc. Why is he so devote, loyal, is that an element of psychological dependency, when for example, a woman stays with an abusive husband?

I hope Eccles has an interesting interpretation!

I'll give this some thought. My first reaction is to wonder exactly how Freddy would show affection if he wanted to, and what Palaka would expect from a father figure. Perhaps each gives the other precisely what is expected. I'd also wonder about whether it might be worth contrasting Palaka's relation to Freddy with John's relation to his Father. For example, Palaka tries showing that he hears Freddy's words - "don't do heavy lifting with light equipment" - even if he can't recite them in quite the right order in time. ("We do not remember my father's words.")

Later.

SaveJFC Admin

Work here, Cass.

Eccles

Sven2

As for Eccles, , more questions arise for me  than get answered, and those mostly  "stay down where it's wounded" (not the exact quote I think).
Here are some "equations".

Symbolism of widely used numbers. Room 24 (someone said on HBO BB it's for the 24 news feed or "24" with "Jack Bauer". Anyone is of the same opinion?

Room 45, where Ramon feeds everyone. Why45?

And the "king of questions": We are coming 9-11-14.
I know people searched in the Bible, (I did that myself, just a bit) and couldn't come to an agreement where is it from.

I don't consider every comma and an adjective in JFC a sacred word in Milch's bible, however the numbers should have significance  beyond arithmetics.
Do no harm

Eccles

Quote from: Sven2 on July 06, 2010, 09:11:43 AM
As for Eccles, , more questions arise for me  than get answered, and those mostly  "stay down where it's wounded" (not the exact quote I think).
Here are some "equations".

Symbolism of widely used numbers. Room 24 (someone said on HBO BB it's for the 24 news feed or "24" with "Jack Bauer". Anyone is of the same opinion?

And the "king of questions": We are coming 9-11-14.
I know people searched in the Bible, (I did that myself, just a bit) and couldn't come to an agreement where is it from.

I don't consider every comma and an adjective in JFC a sacred word in Milch's bible, however the numbers should have significance  beyond arithmetics.

I'll keep thinking about all this, sven. Because I think David Milch, given his past, is presenting concepts which, as Huxley would put it, are "perennial" and appear in most spiritual traditions, I've avoided being too specific since I don't think the author wishes us to be so.)

I've tended to agree with those interpretations of "24" you mentioned. (This became clear to me during John's interrogation.)

The series began in 2007. This means that 2014 would be seven years from John's visit. (The imagery of "9-11" seems obvious.) In the Biblical tradition, a seven year cycle is not uncommon - hence the whole business of a sabbatical every seven years when all debts still outstanding must be forgiven and all those suffering under economic servitude must be released. In other words, every seven years makes a new beginning (symbolized, of course, by the seven days of creation - genesis - beginning). My take.

I'm still not sure about "Room 45."

Eccles

Here's what I've come up with so far. The episode titles were as follows: "His Visit, Day 1," His Visit, Day 2," and so on until Day 9.

(1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9 = 45) Perhaps Ramon's care for the people in Room 45 is sort of what John's visit "adds up" to.

Sven2

Quote from: Eccles on July 07, 2010, 09:23:37 AM

Here's what I've come up with so far. The episode titles were as follows: "His Visit, Day 1," His Visit, Day 2," and so on until Day 9.

(1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9 = 45) Perhaps Ramon's care for the people in Room 45 is sort of what John's visit "adds up" to.

Or it could simply be the number of room Milch stayed at the hotel! (kidding), or the conference room where some fulfilling meeting took place.

Thanks for the 9-11-14. Seven in Judaism holds very special meaning, as the number created by G-d, etc., and even more significance 7 has in Kabbalah.

Here is the simple article for the interested:
http://judaism.about.com/library/3_askrabbi_o/bl_simmons_seven.htm

I completely missed the 7, never liked mathematics,  :-[ :D
Do no harm

Eccles

Quote from: Sven2 on July 07, 2010, 09:36:31 AM

I completely missed the 7, never liked mathematics,  :-[ :D

Thanks for the link. I was horrible at math in school because by the time the teacher was on to the fourth step of a problem I was still back on "Step One." I guess I didn't dislike math. I disliked how frustrating it was trying to learn math (or anything, really) in that sort of classroom setting. I like math when I'm alone on my own with a pencil and lots of time. (Which isn't to say I'm any good at it.)

Esoteric math used in symbols (by Kabbalists and them) usually is lost on me. Except for being mostly vegetarian and making it a point to prayerfully enjoy the sunrise and sunset every day, I'd never make a good Pythagorean. 

Sven2

I'm beyond redemption then, not being even a vegetarian, much less a numerologist or Pythagorian.  Some of the Kabbalah  calculations seem to me "relevant" to anything anyone wishes and thus meaningless, just entertaining.

Sunrise and sunset, good way to mark a day. I am going to enjoy the noon sun above the ocean now. Prayer of the summer it is.

Good having you around, Eccles.
Do no harm

Eccles

Quote from: Sven2 on July 07, 2010, 10:02:58 AM
I'm beyond redemption then, not being even a vegetarian, much less a numerologist or Pythagorian.  Some of the Kabbalah  calculations seem to me "relevant" to anything anyone wishes and thus meaningless, just entertaining.

Sunrise and sunset, good way to mark a day. I am going to enjoy the noon sun above the ocean now. Prayer of the summer it is.

Good having you around, Eccles.

Thanks. My favorite meal is steak and French fries enjoyed with beer which I'm seriously considering having for dinner tonight since I've been invited out to the club. I've become a social drinker only (beer and wine in the company of friends) and a social meat eater (only in the company of friends). When I'm home by myself at mealtime, which is the case most days, I stick to hippie food. I really quite enjoy it. (I don't attach any "redemptive" qualities to my hippie food. It just makes me feel good. ;D)

Sunrise and sunset are my two favorite times of the day. The noonday sun above the ocean probably ranks right up there but it's been too long since I've been near the ocean - far too long for this Maritimer.

It's good to be here.

Waxon

Numbers and symbolism abound for sure.  I believe most are very intentional and thought out by Milch.  And while I don't know if they always have specific impact on the plot - its just part "story-telling". 

24 - the demons in each of our room 24's are with us 24 hours a day even though we may think otherwise. 

2011 - 7 years - I think Eccles and Sven are right on - very significant number biblically (it seems I have heard the same for Muslim religion)

The numbers in the clouds (Eccles - see the facebook page for the photos)  - I still don't know - other than to support the notion the there is importance in the numbers.   (Milch is a gambler, I suspect)

The titles to the episodes, themselves - used numbers of days - that certainly wasn't an accident.   

Not to mention the significance of 0's and 1's.

Numbers are also the most basic form of symbolism (imo) - symbolism being a central theme of "the story" (spanning DW and JFC)

Numbers can be twisted around to means many different things, of course, but I think if we re-watched the series keeping "the numbers" in mind, we would come across a few things we never noticed before.   

Waxon

I don't mean to change the subject ( I hope we may have more enlightenment on the numbers question) but I have a burning question that I need to pose.

At this time I can view the following on HBO "On Demand":

Band of Brothers
Entourage
Masterclass
Rome
Bill Maher
Hung
John Adams
The Neistat Brothers
Sex and The City
The Wire
Treme
True Blood
and the Sopranos

Why no Deadwood or JFC?  And what does this say about the possibility of 'Luck" making it to my TV screen?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk