News:

We now have TWO sites!  The original johnfromcincinnati.net  and the New JohnFromCincinnati.net.  Yet there is only one forum so it doesn't matter which site you are on, the forum is the same.  ENJOY!  and "Work here, Cass."

Main Menu

Technical Forum & Website Discussion Thread

Started by Sven2, June 09, 2010, 08:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaveJFC Admin

Sorry to hear you are having these problems.

I do not know about the FF/Chrome issue you are having.  All I can suggest is that you clear your cache, close FF, then when you come back hit Crl-F5 to force a full page refresh.

As for the images not showing... This may be caused with some clean up I did recently.  Apparently the hosting account I have this site on has way too many files.  This meant that my server was not being backed up.  I had to go through and backup and delete anything that wasn't currently being used.  This meant I had to delete the johnfromcincinnati.net forum off the server (yes I have everything backed up).  The problem is that both this forum and that forum were using the same database.  This was fine when there were duplicate copies over there for this system to use, but is now a problem when they are not longer where they should be.  I just have to go through and make sure everything is linked to these files instead of the old ones.

I guess I should have made an announcement about this before I did it.  I apologize for not doing this.  I thought I had gotten everything relinked.  I'm working on this now.  I'll let you know when I think I have it fixed...

Trishah
Work here, Cass.

SaveJFC Admin

Hello Sven,

I have done some basic fixing.  Will you please check now and see what problems you are still finding?  I don't want to mess with more than is necessary :D

Trishah
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

Thanks, Trishah, works well now. Didn't have to resort to Chrome or IE - or anything else, for that matter. Do you think I should've checked using other browsers?
Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

Quote from: Sven2 on August 11, 2012, 01:23:46 AM
Thanks, Trishah, works well now. Didn't have to resort to Chrome or IE - or anything else, for that matter. Do you think I should've checked using other browsers?

I'm so glad to hear it's working now!  

If it is working in FF, Chrome and IE then it's a good bet it's working in others also, but feel free to check if you want to.  When I first created the forum I did try it using: http://browsershots.org/  which takes screen shots of a site using different operating systems and different browser combinations.  It's takes a while to get back the results and you have to keep monitoring it and extending the time to get them all done.  But the results are invaluable.  I haven't done it lately and I'm very busy right now, so if you want to try it just to make sure...  You can just check the most popular browsers because the less you choose the faster you get the results.

BTW, in fixing the image problem, I ran across the fact that there is a new forum software that is being developed that is supposed to be the next generation in free forum software, Wedge.  Once it launches the software we are currently using for our gallery and video will be moved over to there and SMF will no longer be supported.  I'm sure they will have "moving packs" that will help with translating sites from one system onto their new system.  When that happens and the new forum software is stable, I will move our forum to the new system.  No time frame right now, just giving you a heads-up.
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

Trishah, the emoticons don't work in firefox, and I'm too tired (read lazy!) to see if they work in chrome or EI. When you write a post they appear as words, not images. In preview there are no images as well. Strange, isn't it?  :-[ See - I clicked on embarrassed.
Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

Work here, Cass.

SaveJFC Admin

Hello All,

Today I renewed the domain name savejfc.net for another year and adjusted the Excel spreadsheet accordingly. 

Trishah
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

Hello, whoever is here - some silent, some wonderfully outspoken. "Thank yous" to Trishah and Water Lily for music and poetry.

Just got back from a short vacation, where again couldn't sign in, as I, dummy, always forget my password.

Trishah, is there enough money left for few more years of the site upkeep?

Hope everyone is doing great, with back to school and work on the agenda, the rains and turning leaves around the corner.
Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

Hello Sven,

Welcome back from your vaca, and thank you for your kind words.   :)

As for the site upkeep... As I am hosting everything on my personal server that is free, so the only cost is the domain names: johnfromcincinnati.net, savejfc.net & savejfc.com  This runs about $40 a year.  So we have enough in the fund for about 6 years more.

This brings me to something I've been thinking about of late... Getting older and working on my will, I keep thinking about my domains, like this one, I would like it to survive well past me... as it is the only place on the web that has the historical record of the show...  but how to do that is the question. 

If something happens to me then the site will stay up as long as (1) the PayPal account I have as it's funding source for my hosting account still has enough money to pay for it's yearly payment, or (2) something technical doesn't happens that can't be fixed without cPanel access which currently only I have.

I would gladly move it to a different hosting account if it was someplace that will have longevity and not cost a lot.  I'm just at a loss as to what that might be.  Any suggestions?

Work here, Cass.

Water Lily

It's great to know we have six more years.  I understand your thinking Trish, but have no idea about this stuff.  But would be glad to help with anything.
Stay healthy Save!!!!

Sven2

Hi, Trish,
Isn't there something like "cloud" to place JFC site there to preserve it, even if it will be not functioning in real time - I mean no one would be able to change a thing?

I think you may want to enlist someone from your group of friends in programming circles, if that might require some form of payment for their work we'll see what can be done about that.  

I hope you stay healthy and active for many more years though, continue your tremendous work on JFC site, your beautiful creation.

We all are a breath away from eternity, as someone once said.
Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

Storing it on a "cloud" someplace would preserver the data.  I don't know of any free ones at the present time but will keep looking.

There are hosts that boast "free hosting" which are actual hosting accounts but have limits.  One of the most reputable has a storage, or disc space limit, of 1,500 MB but you have to own all copyrights to the material you host there.

I just checked and the current size of this domain, not counting the size of the database or email, is about 670 MB.  Now I will go through the site and find any redundant or unnecessary information and remove it, but it's still going to be a big site!   Another option to reduce size is to turn it into a WordPress site which will help some but it will do nothing for the size of this forum which is currently around 390 MB.

I have written Marc who did the digital work for JOHN to see if he has any ideas.  I also found this pdf from the Association of Research Libraries that talks about changing copyright laws to deal with the digital age...  http://www.arl.org/bm~doc/the-ala-and-arl-position-on-access-and-digital-preservation.pdf

And THAT got me thinking that what is really needed is some form of a Trust Fund that would preserver digital art just like old movies are preserved...  I really like this idea.  Anyone want to research if there is anyone currently out there doing this?

So, I need to get back to my work for the day.  I'll stop by later with the weekly music installment. 
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

Trish,

On the music thread the vids are taking forever to load. Or - may it be that I got a hundred (OK, just 50!) windows open on the computer? Is that the same with you?

BTW,
always forget to thank you for the Friday music - please, continue, those are  interesting selections, off the beaten path.
Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

Hi Sven,

Yes it takes long to load.  I think it's because I've been putting 3 videos per post and when you load the page, every video has to load.  Let me see if I can limit the number of posts shown on a page and that will make the page load faster.

As for not posting on Fridays the last 2 weeks, it's because Julian's computer was crashing and he had to rebuild it and get all his programs reinstalled!  YUCK!  He's almost done with it so hopefully this Friday we will have more good music to post :D

Trishah
Work here, Cass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk