News:

Welcome to the JohnFromCincinnati.net & johnfromcincinnati.net forum.  An extraordinary show brought us together... Extraordinary people keep us coming back.

Main Menu

Technical Forum & Website Discussion Thread

Started by Sven2, June 09, 2010, 08:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaveJFC Admin

In your profile you can set your clock to show the correct time given your time zone.  I just went in and changed my setting tonight so the date and time of the forum shows correct east coast time.

It's under:  Profile > Modify Profile > Look and Layout Preferences > Time Offset: then hit "auto detect". 

Then the time in the upper right of your screen will be your correct time.
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

Trishah, I looked at the 1st page of Music thread,  bottom half of the posts are only links, with the message -"embed disabled, limit reached".
On YouTube these vids have normal embed option, but when  I tried to post the same links again I got the same result. Would you look into the problem, please?
Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

I increased the maximum number of videos allowed per page.  And I think in our case, a "page" means a "thread".  It was set at "12", I've upped it to "120".  Let me know if this fixes it.  If so I'll up it even more so we don't run into this again.
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

It works, videos are back. Thanks!

Now the "preview" window is all dark blue, it makes editing big pieces of text difficult. I changed color, but that didn't change the preview , only the background of the post. I will try again.
Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

Work here, Cass.

Sven2

Trishah, would you tell, what criteria are you using to screen registrations and users - against double registrations, against our list of JFC fans, or something else?

I like the option of signing in from any place in the world, just with the user name and the password.
Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

I added a captcha field to try to cut down on non-human registrations but apparently the bots have gotten smarter.

So I also integrated our forum registration with Honey Pot, http://www.projecthoneypot.org/?rf=62759, which is a very well known black list that uses information collected from a multitude of sites to create their list.  Whomever is on their list is blocked from any site that uses the list.  IOW, it is a group consensus that an IP is bad not just from one instance.

The reason the second IP you were using was blocked is because I manually blocked it by mistake.  This should not happen again.
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

Do no harm

raymac

Hey Trishah!
I've been trying to post on the website from work where I sign in to wireless networks afforded the press.(Yankee Stadium most recently) The website won't allow me in (I got in last week and the week before). I get a full screen message telling me that my computer is engaged in malicious behavior. I have real time virus protection through McAffee and this does not happen on my home wireless. Any thoughts? Work is really the best time for me to post...I can't stay awake at night lately.
Ray

SaveJFC Admin

Send me the ip address you are sending from and let me see if I can grant it permission.
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

Trish, did you hear from Ray?

Last night I tried to post Captain's scene in the Further Days blog and the text looked like poetry, in long and narrow columns. I used to simply copy and paste everything from the BB to the blog and that worked. Is it Blogger or did you change software?

Need advice. Could be significant for the info blog in the future, I think.
Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

Quote from: Sven2 on August 10, 2010, 10:03:04 AM
Trish, did you hear from Ray?

Not yet.

QuoteLast night I tried to post Captain's scene in the Further Days blog and the text looked like poetry, in long and narrow columns. I used to simply copy and paste everything from the BB to the blog and that worked. Is it Blogger or did you change software?

Need advice. Could be significant for the info blog in the future, I think.

I didn't do anything different here.  But what you are talking about is that formatting is being transferred with the text.  What I would suggest is to try this...

(1) Copy the text from our forum,
(2) Temporarily paste it into NotePad.  This will strip everything but the line breaks from it.
(3) Copy the text from NotePad.
(4) Post it where you want online.
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

Very cumbersome, but I'll try. Though Waxon and Captain both have access to the FD blog, as have everyone else who used to write the story except SpiritontheWater. He probably will not write anymore, the same could be with Backinthegame. Though whoever wishes always can get access to the blog, easy to arrange.

I will post in the info blog in the future,-  whatever you (we?) decide to name it - and re-post it here, as that would be from the Net sources, very simple.
Do no harm

Sven2

Trishah, I think the logging in is a problem for some reason. Ray tried many times today and was getting "the name doesn't exist" message, however I found the name easily, it does exist. Please, look into that.

The transfer of posts is temporarily out of the question, since our friend C. deleted his. He promised to send it to me again, I hope he can retrieve it from his files.

The info blog looks identical to all the rest of our sites, I thought I suddenly had double vision, and that made me dizzy and a little discouraged. Duplicating things make them less interesting in my opinion. Maybe redesign would be more beneficial. I think Wordpress is not better than Blogger, since Blogger introduced interesting templates, etc., that are very easy to customize. I will send you some blog pages or website front pages to show what I like. Apologize for communicating on the thread, I don't have time to go through  PMs, besides it is not really a private conversation.
Do no harm

zippyfan

WOOHOO!!! Thanks Trish and Sven! Whitelisting with Honeypot worked! Very happy right now!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk