News:

Welcome to the JohnFromCincinnati.net & johnfromcincinnati.net forum.  An extraordinary show brought us together... Extraordinary people keep us coming back.

Main Menu

Technical Forum & Website Discussion Thread

Started by Sven2, June 09, 2010, 08:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sven2

Experiment, just to see if the media gallery works.

Trish, you can open the post and see for yourself what is wrong. The image was just a cover  for an album, and adding to an album is still not possible, the same "wrong code jpg" message comes up.
And anyone else, besides moderators, would need an approval, so that is another hurdle. (Perhaps it is necessary so as not to see some obnoxious pictures).

Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

UGH... ok, I think I see the problem...  The url for the images are not real web addresses, the software is creating them so there is no way for a browser to find them.

It's taken me all night but this is the only solution I've found....  I've installed an additional gallery that is much simpler than the original one.  FYI: The other one is still there I've just changed the link.  Anyway...

This new gallery gives the actual BB code for each image so no mistaking what to put where.  Let's see if this works.

Work here, Cass.

Sven2

The new gallery exists, but there is no option that I could find to add or to open a new gallery.
Experiment:
This picture is the only one that has the codes. It works.
Half way there!
Trish, you didn't have to stay up all night to work on that, a lot of pictures are on internet available and easy to post here. That problem mostly would have an effect on Waxon's Trivia Game. Still, I understand the frustration it causes you, the pro!
Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

The reason I did it, is that things on the internet go down all the time.  We already lost a lot of the promo videos that were taken off of YouTube, so I wanted to collect our own images so we never lose them again.

Yes, with the new gallery, the categories have to be created by the admin.  I'll keep looking for other options later but for now, at least we have a place to keep them safe.

The only images you can copy are ones added to the galleries themselves and not the category images.  You can use the one Jerri & Dwayne image bc it was placed inside the gallery.

I have added a "Waxon's Trivia Game" category. 

Now I'm off to other projects...
Work here, Cass.

Waxon

Thanks for all of you work on this!  I will say that most of the pictures I have captured are on our facebook page.  I would love to preserve them here, but there are over 100 of them.  Not sure what your capacity is, Save. 

BTW, this site is awesome!  Thank you.

SaveJFC Admin

You are very welcome!  I am happy to do it.... wish I had more time!

My capacity is unlimited.  If the site was terribly active it might be a problem, but we are fine right now.  And all my other high volume sites are on other accounts so if you have the time to bring them over, feel free.  That's what the site is here for!
Work here, Cass.

SaveJFC Admin

Fake Registrations

I took some time tonight to search the membership base to find registrations from the same IP address.  There were some, actually quite a few, that have literally hundreds of accounts for the same IP!  Some did 50 or more in one day... ugh!

So I went through and deleted these.  And then I added their IP's to our banned IP list.

Additionally, I added a new anti-bot measure on the registration forum.  It adds:

Adds a randomly chosen puzzle
    Shapes
    Math
    Colors
Random tweaks in each puzzle
Random input field

Example:

What is the sum of (as a number)  9 - 5 + ONE =

Hopefully, this will keep the false registrations down and keep us from getting spammed.

Trishah

Work here, Cass.

Sven2

Good, Trish, cleaning the debris!

Aghmmm, just one little tiny thing. ::) ;D Now our own Captain can't register, (after he accidentally deleted his acct.), he gets a message that double registration is not allowed. I tried to activate his account, didn't work.
Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

The last message the system sent him said:

Today at 05:20:22 AM
    Your email address needs to be validated before you can login. - captpeace
         http://johnfromcincinnati.net/forum/index.php?action=login2

I only see one account with his IP in the database and it looks like it is active.

If he can't verify his address or login, have him clear his cache and cookies, close and reopen his browser, and try again.  If he is still getting an error message, have him send it to me here.
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

I don't know yet if Captain tried to register again or post.  We'll see tomorrow, oh, it's today already.

Wonderful new addition to the image gallery, Trishah, Nick's photos of Snug Harbor are good. The only thing is - maybe we have to ask his permission to put the pics on our site, what do you think? He is a very friendly guy, still it's just common courtesy. I think he would agree.

Edited to add: Maybe the poll should be a separate topic, it gets missed on the tech thread I think.
Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

I'll make the poll a separate thread.  Good call.

About the photos, I was rushed or I would have remembered to give him credit in the photo info. I'll go do that now.  And ask his permission if it's okay...  what do they say... better to ask forgiveness than permission   ;)
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

Trish, when you're done with all the improvements and corrections, it perhaps would help if the "How to" (or something like that) thread existed. It could be at the beginning of this thread even, convenient I think.

Good new emoticons, I like them.
Do no harm

SaveJFC Admin

I think a "How To" thread would be a good idea.  I think that this is very new to you, you probably have more idea of the kind of things that need explaining... like what would have been helpful for you to know.  I just assume a lot being I've done so much of this.

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=5.0;sort=subject

This link is an instructional guide created by SMF for the general user of this forum software.  I'll start a new sticky topic with it and we'll see where it goes from there.
Work here, Cass.

Sven2

I saw the topic, good to have it always on top of everything - for anyone who might experience some difficulties. I didn't mean myself, by the way, I talked to couple of people, they needed to get comfortable on the BB and that thread should help. Thanks, Trishah, you work with the lightning speed!
Do no harm

Sven2

Trishah, why in your posts the time stamp is different from mine or Waxon's? Can we adjust the clock so it shows let's say, Eastern time for every post? I know that's how it's  on blogs.
Do no harm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk