News:

We still have stickers and magazines from the original Save John From Cincinnati Campaign for sale HERE!

Main Menu

Countdown To "Luck"

Started by Sven2, December 05, 2011, 12:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sven2

You are right on many accounts, Cissy. Luck is over and done with, no other network will pick it up, merits of its message built on the communion of human and animal, epitomized by horse in this case, notwithstanding. The death of horses would taint it forever.

Crazies from PETA (I despise them for extremism, it is beyond restrain or decency) sent a letter to L.A. District Attorney's office, blaming a trainer, a vet and - Mr.Milch, by name - for the horses' death. As much as I know from printed media,  Milch was banned from the filming and the set, was only writing scripts.

I will miss and remember the Oasis Motel and Four Amigos - Marcus, Jerry, Lonny and Renzo, most closely associated in my mind with IB and JFC. Those twisted and damaged, and still tender and funny like hell souls sure could use some luck, or, better yet - a visit from Cincinnati, where John is residing. Although he must be busy - "many dealerships in so many sectors".

Do no harm

Cissy

Sigh.
Milch was banned from being around the work and the horses? That just says an awful lot to me. Nothing good.  You gotta love his crazy genius, I love these losers we all come to remember, to recognize so easily, empathetic ally, except for their respective different broken parts with this crew.

He's poison now I guess, Milch, in the media field. Too much everything. Too much time, too much sacrifice, too much bending of deals and dates agreed upon, basically, too much for the non genius crowd to allow him the room to tell the story.
He was actually being a danger to the horses? Thank you for including the link. 

Argh! A whole story we don't get to know the ending of. JFC's ending ep sure didn't satisfy me at all, and I would think that Mr. Hoffman would not like to see it go that way. If Tom Hanks were the producer, as he is on so many hbo projects, would this show still be cancelled?
I know a lot of people who didn't like or watch Big Love, which he produced, Mr. Hanks, and it had a pretty long run, before and after the writers strike back then. I think there is just more to this than the 3 sadly departed horses.

A lonesome high
A funny time cry
The blues
The blues
The blues

Sven2

What an episode, from an alternate -Sopranos -universe, - blood, gore, threats laid out, everyone is unhappy and fighting. It's been filmed by one of Sopranos' directors, so the sentimentality is none and ugliness galore. Should've attracted wide audience eventually, this story arc, but a chance was taken away.

Maybe some pieces of the puzzle would surface, John Ortiz (Escalante) and Alan Sepinwall (blogger, TV critic) promised to share what they learned from the maker of Luck world, Mr. Milch.

One more episode left.  No ending, how familiar, exhausting and saddening, hard to imagine that Milch is working on Faulkner adaptations, still the HBO "loyal soldier."

Good closing song, anyone knows the title? 
Do no harm

Cissy

Tonight's episode of Luck was amazing. Felt a couple times like my heart was going to beat itself right out of my body!

Sven, yes, there was that naked sort of factual filming in this episode that looked much like Sopranos.
All the people who were/are still watching, we all know that (I know I keep saying this, but it is just so true for me) this show honestly gets
better with each episode. This would have been exactly what hbo has been looking for since Sopranos ended, finally filled that gap
so many people seem to miss from hbo.

I notice hbo isn't getting much praise for shutting this project down.

I am starting to feel like hbo is a sort of bait and switch network. We have great original programming, and we cancel it regularly!
That should be their claim to fame, is as far as I'm concerned.

A lonesome high
A funny time cry
The blues
The blues
The blues

wavewatcher

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/eighteen-horses-broken-aqueduct-nov-30-racing-brass-struggles-explain-article-1.1041699?localLinksEnabled=false

You would think that with all the great scripts and acting, they would find a way to shoot around the races. Mechanical/latex horse torsos have been used in Seabiscuit, Braveheart, etc. throughout the years. While I admire Milch and Mann's "authentic" shooting of the race sequences, I am more impressed with the acting, dialogue and character development. I am always more impressed with plot, than I am with special EFX. There is much more going on here than just 3 horse deaths. Milch and HBO are poison when coupled.

wavewatcher

Cissy

Hi Wave!
It's good to 'see' you again!

I agree with you. Yes, from the first tantalizing hint of this story coming to us from Milch and hbo, I was waiting for those horses, waiting for the races, and they have been awesome. Tonights episode certainly would have decided many watchers who were still figuring out if they liked it. or if they could make out the audio.
But, you're right about the races, seeing them, hearing them, just wonderful. Still, we have stronger relationships with the characters than we do the horses, we're more invested in where the people end up,  in the characters stories, and since that's already been decided on and partly written, why throw it away? Why not give it a chance? This really would have worked, CGI anyone? For long shots in the races? Maybe use footage of actual races already run when you want a close up, or to put your actor on the horse instead of the actual jockey that was there? You know, adjust stock footage to fit what the story needs to say in the race. 
If horse deaths were uncommon statistically to the usual at that certain time of year? I'd very sadly say, it's got to stop. But that isn't the truth, the truth is exactly what you said it is. I agree totally with you. There is a whole story in why this show was really cancelled that includes the horses and the people,  Maybe they'll make that tv-movie one day, eh? We would all watch I betcha! On second thought, we shouldn't hold our breaths though o-<
A lonesome high
A funny time cry
The blues
The blues
The blues

wavewatcher

I'm very conflicted about watching the remaining "Luck" episodes in my DVR.(I'm 3 behind) I probably will, but am not looking forward to the anger and disappointment sure to follow the final episode. I'm wondering if it might be better to wrap it all up now and just be sad, rather than seeing it through and then wondering for years about "what might have been". Either way, HBO is exiting my life for good this time. I have grown to hate TrueBlood over the years and would actually be rooting for Russell (the ancient vampire) to kill off the whole cast, especially Sookie.

Sven2

If you are on Ep. 5, you'll miss the birth pangs of a great show! No, Wave, you are not weak of heart, and the heart must feel - love and loss are twins anyways.

I am watching every re-run - as we already learned, Milch is addictive!
Do no harm

Cissy

Spent the early morning watching and re-watching the past 3 eps. of Luck.

Previews of this Sunday just look like this series is goin' strong. Blood to be paid and all. Maybe that's in the 2 eps we do or do not get to see. I've heard both. Crossing fingers. I tried the toes too, but they got all cramped up and it hurt.

Wave, I have to say, it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. I'll never be sorry I watched JFC, I might be frustrated, even pissed majorly, I love that show, you know that, you all know that. Broke my heart when I got past pissed.
This is gonna do the same. But not to see it? I don't think I could do that. Remember how it felt, I know you do, that opening from JFC, Dylan and the sky, clouds, waves... we knew that wasn't leading to a happy place, but would you rather have never experienced that? How about Bill and Freddy playin that sweet God Bless the Child up there in the night? And of course, 'Fuck room 24!'  How about Zippy coming home to Bill in Lois's room? I wouldn't trade it. I don't think any of us here still today would.
I got faith that way. smile.

It's so good to see all of you again. I've been the less for spending no time here. I'm glad I know that know.
I can't find my way around at all, that's why my posts go on strange pages. Sorry, truly. If I don't respond to something, try to tell me where to look? All newbie here again. Hope a few folks caught BVH surfing Wednesday night, I know I posted it somewhere here....
A lonesome high
A funny time cry
The blues
The blues
The blues

Cissy

Had to say, while I am here, I miss all of you like crazy. Seriously!
Fall is just about here, hope we are all chatting or being in touch
with each other.... a sfam told me there was no more 'us'.
I can't believe that.
It would be too sad.

Big Love to all of my bro's and sis's fam!
A lonesome high
A funny time cry
The blues
The blues
The blues

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk