News:

Welcome to the JohnFromCincinnati.net & johnfromcincinnati.net forum.  An extraordinary show brought us together... Extraordinary people keep us coming back.

Main Menu

The Further Days of John from Cincinnati, Days 10-17

Started by Sven2, February 26, 2011, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sven2

This is the whole story as it was written on the now extinct JFC Bulletin Board on HBO website.
All the episodes are now under one roof, so anyone could read here what had occupied our minds and imagination after, on August 13 of 2007, "John from Cincinnati" was canceled.

The same episodes could also be found in two blogs here:

http://jfcwritings.blogspot.com/

http://furtherdaysofjfc2.blogspot.com/

Do no harm

Sven2

Episode 11, His Visit, Day 10

DISCLAIMER: John From Cincinnati and its canon characters are the property of HBO and the show's producers; no copyright infringement is intended.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Written by: Walkara, SpiritontheWater, theshriek, Waxon, Gunga Din, and Aureate.

Butchie and Kai take Shaunie surfing; Tina gives Cissy a ride; Bill and Zippy take orders from Her Ladyship; Erlenmeyer receives a message; Mitch gets stuck in a tree; business is booming for Jerri; Meyer and Daphne set a date; Ramon teaches Barry how to make tamales; Vietnam Joe helps a Mexican woman look for her son; Moana extends his visit; Freddy tells Palaka to get his bear back; Linc has car trouble; Dr. Smith adjusts to his new condition; John shows Cass where else to work.

(Cue Opening Credits, music by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros)

Lord, there goes Johnny Appleseed
He might pass by in the hour of need
There's a lot of souls
Ain't drinking from no well locked in a factory

Hey - look there goes
Hey - look there goes
If you're after getting the honey - hey
Then you don't go killing all the bees

Lord, there goes Martin Luther King
Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring
I hear what you're saying, I hear what he's saying
*Is what was true now no longer so

Hey - I hear what you're saying
Hey - I hear what he's saying
If you're after getting the honey - hey

What the people are saying
And we know every road - go, go
What the people are saying
There ain't no berries on the trees

Let the summertime sun
Fall on the apple - fall on the apple

Lord, there goes a Buick forty-nine
Black sheep of the angels riding, riding down the line
We think there is a soul, we don't know
That soul is hard to find

Hey - down along the road
Hey - down along the road
If you're after getting the honey

Hey - it's what the people are saying
It's what the people are saying
Hey - there ain't no berries on the trees
Hey - that's what the people are saying, no berries on the trees
You're checking out the honey, baby
You had to go killin' all the bees

--------------------------------------------------

(Day Ten begins)

(The phone rings in Ramon's room, waking him from a deep sleep.)

Barry: Buenos Diaz, RRámon!

Ramon: (wiping his eyes) Huh?

Barry: Divine inspiration: Tamales!

Ramon: Huh?

Barry: Did you suspect, Rámon, that I would so easily forget the promise made to me, a laudable endeavor to calm my hysteria not two days prior, my close friend, invaluable confidant, and employee, to teach me the Art of the Tamale?

Ramon: What time is it?

Barry:
Oh, just you never mind about that, grumpy bear. We have Work to do.

--Walkara

-------------------------------------------------

Erlenmeyer awakes in the Yost tree house, snuggled comfortably in a pile of blankets on the floor. He looks at the wall, and smiles to himself. He inhales, deeply, and exhales, strangely satisfied. He gets to his feet, stretches his arms in the air, twists right, twists left, and brings them back down to his sides. After rubbing the sleep from his eyes, he steps out the door, refreshed by the cool morning air and its wisp of the ocean, intending to go inside for breakfast, but something catches his ear. He turns, facing the Elephant Cage and pauses for a few moments. He nods his head slightly, as if registering something, and walks down the steps. As he passes the house he hears Mitch and Cissy arguing inside. 'Foreplay,' he grins to himself. He gets in his "car", pushes a tape--The Grateful Dead's American Beauty--in the tape deck and drives away. He makes it through "Ballad of El Paso," "Ripple," and half of "Till the Morning Comes" before reaching the YMCA surf camp, near the Imperial Beach Radio Receiving Facility. He parks, gets out, with a blanket in hand, and walks fifty paces before spreading it out and sitting down. He gets in the full lotus position and exhales...

--Walkara

(Standing over Shaun, asleep in Butchie's bed, John tilts his head to the side, listening. Butchie is sleeping on the floor, still wearing his stickman t-shirt)

John: El Camino. (He opens the door, walks outside and hops in the back of the new car.)

Linc's navigator pulls into the parking lot and parks next to the El Camino. Linc gets out of the car and approaches John.

Linc: Morning, John.

John: Morning, Linc. My father has more Big and HUGE for us today.

Linc: Okay, John. I've gotta meet Jake at the internet cafe for breakfast first. The Money behind Stinkweed is giving Jake hell over holding the Yost Surfing Exhibition here in I.B on Saturday. Five days doesn't give us much time, and they wanna move the event to Huntington. They said I.B. doesn't have the waves for "a real exhibition."

John: The waves will come.

Linc: On Saturday?

John: Yes, Linc.

Linc: So what else is on the agenda today, my brother?

John: We need Cass' camera

Linc: Because we hear your Father's words better in Cass' camera, right?

John: You hear my Father's words, Linc.

Just then Cass' vintage Porsche pulls into the Snug Harbor. She parks her car next to Butchie's van, gets out and walks over to the Camino. Her camera is already rolling.

Cass:
Where are we working today, John?

Linc's phone rings, he answers and walks away from the car

John: Grab your jump-balls, Cass. (He stands and motions for her to get in the back of the Camino, which she does.)

The screen door of room F swings open and Butchie comes out, scratching his balls and stretching

Butchie: (yawning) What's the fuckin' word, kurds?"

John: Bring Butchie out of semi-retirement. (John sits down) Learn from the best, fuck the rest.

Butchie: Alright, buddy. I'll wake up Shaunie.

Shaun: (walks outside, already wearing his "fatigues") You ready to get dusted, dad? (He smiles)

Butchie: Fuck me, you're ready already.

John: Shaun's ready already.

(Butchie walks past Shaun and goes back inside to collect his gear.)

Shaun:(goes over to the El Camino, puts his board in the back, and hops in the driver's side) I'll drive.

(Kai's jeep pulls into the parking lot and parks next to the porche. Kai gets out, smiling, she walks over to the Camino.)

Kai: Nice car. Who's is it?

John: You're ready for the El Camino.

Kai: You "called" me, John?

John:
Butchie and Shaun need you on the water.

(Butchie resurfaces from his room, with his board under arm)

Butchie: What the fuck happened to you yesterday, Kai? (He walks over the Camino and puts his board in the back, and turns to her) You missed the parade. (He wraps his arms around her and brings her to his chest. She pushes her ear against him and listens to his heartbeat.)

Kai: Surfing, but I heard all about it on the radio.

Butchie:
(He let go of her, grabs and squeezes her hand and then walks over to the driver's side) Scoot over, Shaunie.

Shaun: Can I drive, Dad?

Butchie:
Sorry dude. (Butchie opens the door and motions for Kai to get in the passenger side while Shaun scoots over.)

Kai: My gear and board are in my Jeep. (She goes over and gathers her stuff, throws it in the back, and hops in the car)

Linc: (walks back to the group, his phone still held up to his ear) Fuck that, Jake. We're holding the event here, and if those cocksuckers don't like it, tell 'em to take a good look at the contracts. We set the terms. Tell 'em to go fuck themselves. (He flips his phone shut) I got some shit to take care of with Jake. I'll meet you guys at the beach later. (He looks at Cass) Call me if anything happens.

Cass: I don't work for you.

Linc: Considering I just paid your hotel bill for the rest of the month, I was hopin' you'd reconsider.

John:
Work here, Cass.

Cass:
As long as it's understood that I don't answer to you.

John:
For Christmas, Cass was thinking she could either run Linc over in the street or enroll him in a Tony Robbins seminar.

(Linc and Cass look at each other)

Linc: (walking back to his Navigator) Just keep me in the loop until I get this sorted out with Jake.

John: Provide cover for my Father.

Linc: (getting in his car) I'm in the game now, right John?

John:
Right from left. Spit it right-the-fuck out.

(Butchie's cell phone rings.)

Butchie: Hello?

Cissy: The Grand Poobah's coming by to pick-up his fuckin' suitcase.

Butchie:
We won't be here, Ma. We're goin' to get wet

Cissy: Who the fuck is "we"? You and Shaunie?

Butchie: And Kai and John and that blonde chick.

Cissy: Where the fuck has Kai been?! Thinks she can just come and go as she pleases...does she want her fuckin' job or not?

(Kai takes the phone from Butchie)

Kai: I quit, Cissy. I'm done.

Cissy: Just like that? You just fuckin' up and quit? I need you down here. This place is a fuckin' zoo. These dickwads are just hovering around, not buying shit.

Kai: It's time for me to move on. Sorry Cissy.

Cissy; And what the fuck is that supposed to mean? You woke up this morning and decided that you're finished with us?

Kai: 'Course not, Cissy. But things've changed. Butchie's taking care of Shaunie now. You don't need me to keep an eye on him anymore. I'll still design boards, if ya want...

Cissy: Fine. (She slams the phone down)

Kai: I think I hurt her feelings.

Butchie:
How can you fuckin' tell?

Kai:
She didn't tell me to 'fuck off'.

John: Cissy needs to dump out.

Butchie: Hook up, Shaunie. Let's go. (Butchie puts the car in gear, and turns up the radio.)

John: Mitch will soon be here. He won't part like the red sea, he'll rise up a palm tree. Mitch wants to know what it means, but he won't come down until I'm asleep.

(The El Camino pulls out of the lot, and disappears down the street, with this song leaking out of the unrolled windows: Hear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjxXhxcIbG0

"What I Got"

Early in the mornin'
Risin' to the street
Light me up that cigarette and I'll strap shoes on my feet
Got to find a reason
Reason things went wrong
Got to find a reason why my money's all gone
I got a dalmation
I can still get high
I can play the guitar like a motherfuckin' riot

Well life is too short so love the one you got
Cause you might get run over or you might get shot
Never start no static I just get it off my chest
Never had to battle with my bulletproof vest
Take a small example, take a tip from me
Take all of your money, give it up to charity
Life is what I got it's within my reach, and
The sublime style still straight from Long Beach
It all comes back to you, you bound to get what you deserve
Try and test that, you're bound to get served
Love's what I got, don't start a riot
You'll feel it when the dance gets hot

Lovin' is what I got, I said remember that
Lovin' is what I got, now remember that
Lovin' is what I got, I got, I got, I got

I don't cry when my dog runs away
I don't get angry at the bills I have to pay
I don't get angry when my mom smokes pot
Hits the bottle then goes back to the rock
Fuckin, fightin', it's all the same
Livin' with Louie dog's the only way to stay sane
Let the lovin', let the lovin' come back to me

Cause lovin' is what I got, I said remember that
Lovin' is what I got, And remember that
Lovin' is what I got, I got, I got I got

-Bradley Nowell (Sublime))

--Walkara

Do no harm

Sven2

Ramon: (Pours water in the bottom of a large pot.) "Look" (getting Barry's attention) "then you steam them in this big pot here... you could use one of those five story bamboo things the Asians got for their things but we just put these coffee cups upside down in here with this little grate on top so the steam can get around 'em."

Barry: "Inverted coffee cups, how ingenious!"

Ramon: (stares at Barry for a moment) "Yeah, well you use what you got handy."

Barry: "Like this stove here in your private rooms, now that we've turned the valve and restored the natural gas flowing to this wing of Kitchenettes!"

Ramon: (takes another sideways glance at Barry) "Maybe we shoulda checked the other rooms for leaks before.... Anyways, you don't wanna put them too close together when you stand them in there, otherwise they won't get done all the way around. You might have to do 'em in batches."

Barry: "limited seating...standing room only. I see Ramon, our Tamales must receive uninhibited saturation for maximum infusion, so the flavors will marry; each traditional, and dare I say, holy ingredient, however exotic and unfamiliar to the pallet, will then penetrate every fiber of these delicately wrapped soldiers."

Ramon: (pauses before standing the last tamale on the grate) "Then we put the lid on and turn up the heat. Just wanna make sure it don't boil dry."

Barry: (turns his head toward the lounge where the stage is just under construction) "...two shows a night, and a matinee..."

--SpiritontheWater

------------------------------------------------

(Freddy stands outside his room looking towards Ramon's room. Palaka walks up carrying the Avon catalog.)

Palaka:
Doc is distributing these catalogs to all his patients now. He says that I should order the Derek Jeter Daily Moisturizer for my face.

Freddy: Like there's any fuckin' hope for improvement for you.

Palaka: It's SPF 15.

Freddy: The Mexican and the homo went into that room over there with the bears. (He nods his head towards Ramon's room.) Find out if that queer is keeping those bears separate but equal when he is inside. Tell him I want to know what they are doing as a pretext for being there.

Palaka: Yeah...sure...boss.

Freddy: If those bears are sitting together, you tell that homo that I want my bear back because my bear is not inclined to participate in such fuckin' behavior. Then grab it and bring it back.

Palaka:
Uh...boss what if I was to ascertain that the bears are not a couple?

Freddy: Bring it back anyways!! You tell that fairy that I just handed him that bear because that boy was missing. Since that boy is back...safe, I find it...uh...bad luck for him to keep it.

Palaka:
I'll go over. OK boss. I will have that bear back safe in your arms soon. (Freddy gives Palaka a murderous look, and Palaka starts to limp towards Ramon's room.) I mean safe in your room, of course, boss.

--theshriek

(In Meyer's bedroom, Daphne has just finished rocking the Jew lawyer's world for the fifth time in as many days. She emerges from the covers into the arms of a very happy and relaxed Meyer.)

Meyer: I have been thinking about my Mother.

Daphne: MEYER!!!! That is sick!! I can't believe you!!

Meyer:
(looking appropriately horrified) No! I didn't mean then. I was thinking about my Mother yesterday, and I thought that I would like for you to meet her.

Daphne: Really?

Meyer: Yes. I think after being engaged for two years we are ready to take that next step.

Daphne: Taking a step after two years would be nice. (Daphne gets a worried look on her face.) What if she doesn't like me?

Meyer: Don't you worry my Bubbala. My Mother will take one look at you and see you as I do. You are a beautiful, intelligent, funny, and uniquely special woman.

Daphne: Ah Meyer. I never appreciated how sweet you are. (They kiss.)

Meyer: My Mother sent me email saying that she is coming to LA for business next week. How about I send an email back to her saying that I would like for you two to meet?

Daphne: I would like that very much.

Meyer: It's a date then.

Daphne:
You say that your Mother is coming to the West Coast for business. What does she do?

Meyer: Oh she is a programming executive at HBO.

Meyer reaches over and turns on the radio on the nightstand.

Radio: Local surf legend Mitch Yost is holding a demonstration from the top of a 50 foot Palm Tree at The Snug Harbor Motel at l550 Highway 75 in Imperial Beach. [Meyer sits up in the bed and looks at the radio.] He refused to answer questions about the point, but, according to one eye witness, a self proclaimed "family friend," a Mr. Palaka, Yost is "raising awareness."

Meyer: I better get over there.

--theshriek

Kai: Hey Butchie, how come there's no dials on the stereo?

Butchie:
Fuck if I know...that fucker has a mind of its own. It starts and stops whenever it fuckin' feels like it.

Shaun:
Last night, as soon as my Mom sat on the hood, it started playing a song...what song was it again, Dad?

Butchie: Fuck me...I don't remember. Somethin' 'bout bein' a woman or a little girl, or some shit.

Shaun: Anyways, she cried.

--Walkara

(Tina, driving down the street, sees Cissy alongside the road standing next to her Miata. She sees Cissy slam her cell phone shut as she kicks her tire.)

Cissy: (looks up to see Tina pulled over next to her) "What do you want?"

Tina: (a slight roll of her eyes and a smirk) "Maybe you'd want to tell me what you want and what you're doing out here?"

Cissy: (arms folded) "What's it fucking look like I'm doing? Piece of shit car crapped again." (Kicks at it again).

Tina: "I could help."

Cissy: And how the fuck could you help? Hmm?

Tina: "Well I could give you a ride somewhere."

Cissy: "And just leave my car here for some asshole to steal parts from?

Tina:
(gets out of car and walks up to Cissy's) "What's wrong with it?"

Cissy:
"Do I look like a fucking mechanic? It just stopped running, get it?"

Tina: (sees the gas gauge on E) "Well Cissy lets take a ride up to that gas station and try that first, meanwhile maybe you could bring your hatred for me down a notch or two."

Cissy: "Fine, like you know anything. Just don't take me to fucking Sea World." (Mumbles out the side of the car) "Amazing the treasures that can be found in a trash barrel".

--Aureate

----------------------------------------------

(The El Camino pulls off Seacoast Drive and parks. Butchie, Kai, and Shaun gather their gear and boards from the back. Butchie waits for John while Shaun and Kai walk to the water.)

Butchie: You ready to get wet John?

John: Fuckin' A' right, I'm ready Butchie! We cannot fold on dry land right now.

Butchie:
That's right. Let's go, my man.

John:
You're hangin' with a man of means, Butchie.

Butchie: Tell me something I don't already fuckin' know, buddy.

John:
We've turned the valve and restored the natural gas flowing to this wing.

Butchie: Right...well...follow me, brother.

John:
Right from left. The line forms at Butchie's left. (He turns to Cass) Show the other cameras, Cass. Show them in Shaun and Butchie. See Kai, Cass.

Cass:
Abracadabra, John. (She walks to the pier)

John:
(walking behind Butchie) Cass has some pull. The camera is up in the air.

Butchie:
(approaching Kai and Shaun, who are standing at the water's edge) Let's see who busts bigger. (He walks into the ocean, flanked by Shaun to his right, Kai to his left, and John stepping in his footprints)

John: Butchie's juiced. Getting dusted won't be an issue.

--Walkara

Do no harm

Sven2

(Dr. Smith wakes-up in a strange bed, totally naked, lying next to a woman. He slips from under the covers, grabs his clothes, wadded on the floor, and creeps into the bathroom.)

Dr. Smith: (looking in the mirror) I'm back...but from where, and where am I now--what happened to me...The last thing I remember, I was walking back from Barry's bar...I walked into my office, and into the examination room...and then it all goes black. I feel strangely rejuvenated however. (He slids a leg into the jeans, only to find they did not fit. He examined them, embarrassed to discover that they were much too small to be his, so he pulled-on the T-shirt, which was very tight.)

(There's a knock at the bathroom door)

Woman: Hey, Mikey, are you gonna be long; I've gotta pee!

Smith: Umm, okay, sure, I'll be right out. (He grabs a towel to conceal his dangling manhood and opens the door. When he did, the woman, whom he recognized as a nurse from the hospital, gave out a shriek.)

Nurse: Ahhh!! (She jumped back, but upon recognizing him, caught her breath) Dr. Smith...what...what are you doing here?!

Smith: A question I hoped you could answer.

Nurse: Where's Mikey?!

Smith: Mikey?

Nurse: The young man I went to bed with last night.

Smith: Young man??

Nurse:
Yes, I met him at the Yost's parade yesterday. He said he'd just gotten back from a vacation to Cincinnati.

Smith: (Something about that rang a bell) Umm...

Nurse: Where the hell is he??

Smith:
I assure you I have no idea. I blacked-out and woke up this morning in your bed...wait; did you say 'the Yost's parade'?

Nurse:
Yes. Mitch, Butchie and Shaun Yost signed with Stinkweed, and there's to be an exhibition on Saturday--hey wait! Quit trying to change the subject! What the hell is going on here?!

Smith: So Shaun returned? Thank God.

Nurse: It turned out he was surfing with Butchie's surf student and Stinkweed called it a 'disappearance' to hype the announcement yesterday.

Smith:
What day is it?

Nurse:
Tuesday.

Smith:
Okay, okay...I've got to get going and find out what's happening.

Nurse: What about Mikey?

Smith: Maybe you can tell me what he looks like?

Nurse: Brown hair, shorter than me, he said he was 20, but he didn't look a day older than 15. Boy! was he a sweet talker though...and so understanding. He was no novice between the sheets either.

Smith:
(He has a vague recollection of that) I'll keep an eye out for him, but I really must be going.

Nurse: Wait! I wanna know what the hell is going on here, dammit!

Smith: Listen, I really do have to be going--incidentally, do you have a robe I could borrow by chance?--but if you stop by my new office on Highway 75, just across from the Snug Harbor Motel, we'll see what we can figure out.

Nurse: (goes to the closet and grabs a frilly, pink silk robe and hands it to the Dr.) Go on then, but don't think for a second that I've let this go. We'll be seeing each other again very soon, you can count on it.

Smith: Of course, of course. (He puts the robe on and excuses himself. When he reaches the front door, he calls out) What was your name again, my dear?

Nurse: Sharon...Weston.

Smith: Yes, yes, of course, Nurse Weston. I apologize for the strange situation that we discovered ourselves in this morning, but I assure you: I'm as confused as you. (He closes the door behind him.)

Sharon: (talking to herself) Did he call me 'my dear'??, 'cause that's exactly what Mikey called me last night--I remember 'cause it seemed like a strange term of endearment for such a young man...I guess I'll have to wait to get to the bottom of this later.

--Walkara

---------------------------------------------------

(Bill is standing in his dimly lit apartment, talking with his birds)

Bill: Yes...Yes, Your Ladyship, and thank you for your time. (He walks to the front door.) Zip! You comin' or what? (Zippy flies from the railing, where he's perched, and lands on Bill's shoulder.) For Christ sake, Zip, I get it: no more pocket. Believe you me, it was a bitch to get that fucking jacket clean, and there's still a spot. My Lo would've known how to get rid of that stain. (Bill stops talking and listens to Zippy) I know you're claustrophobic, Zip. And if I didn't then, how could I forget after your endless cheeping about it since. (He pauses) Well, they don't allow pets in hospitals. (Bill listens) Alright, alright! Jesus Christ, I get it: you're not my fucking pet; it was a figure of goddam speech. (Pause) My apologies, Your Ladyship, I'm going, I'm going. (Under his breath) Startin' to wish she'd kept mute, for all the orders she throws around. (As he opens the door and walks outside, Bill mimics her) 'I only like red grapes...I don't care if Zippy likes the green ones.' Fuckin' crap machines!

--Walkara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beh1ipK3hN0

(Vietnam Joe drives through the sloughs, listening to The Amboy Dukes' "Journey to the Center of the Mind". He takes a final hit from the roach between his thumb and index finger, then unrolls the window and flicks it outside. He takes a deep breath of the salty morning air and exhales, refreshed. Just then he hears a voice. He cocks his head to the left, and hears it again. He hits the breaks, turns the van off, and gets out. He grabs his gun, takes the safety off, and cocks it. He pushes through some brush, and moves down into a dry ravine. He spies a figure approaching a few moments before he realizes it's a woman. She struggles to stay on her feet, and when he reaches her, he sees that her caramel skin is covered in bite marks. Without saying a word, he takes her in his arms and heads back to the van.)

Woman (played by Rachel Ticotin): Tha...thank...you...the dogs...they're, they're... coming...

(Joe turns around, just in time to see three snarling mutts approaching, their bloodied mouths foaming. Before they have a chance to charge, Joe swings the woman into his right arm, and fires with his left: one, two, three, four times; killing two of the dogs in the process, and scaring the shit outta the third, running away.)

Joe: (Putting his gun back in the holster) You okay? Let me take a look at those bites. (He inspects the gash on her right thigh and the chunk of skin hanging from her right forearm. Her head is bleeding too, but the other wounds look serious.) We gotta get you to a doctor.

Woman: No! No doctors! I must find my son.

Joe: It's alright, ma'am. I know a Doctor that can help.

Woman:
(Pleading in Joe's eyes) No. I must find my son!

Joe: Okay, okay. I got some bandages in the Van. You need me to carry ya? (Without waiting for her answer, he swings her back into his arms and carries her to the van.)

Woman: Thank you for saving me from those devils.

Joe: Fuckin' Fahey is 'posed to be gatherin' them beasts up for the city. Probably too goddam tweaked-out to leave the fuckin' house, as usual.

(They reach the van; Joe opens the door, sets her inside, runs around to the other side, grabs a first aid kit, and proceeds to dress her wounds.)

Woman: Are you a medic?

Joe: Me? No ma'am. But I picked up some basic first-aid over in 'Nam. You in pain? I gotta flask of Jack in the glove compartment.

Woman: I could use a drink. (Joe makes to go around and get the flask, but she motions for him to stay put, reaches over and takes the little silver flask out herself, the front of which reads something in English in white letters (Look)). She twists the cap, takes a swig, three gulps, and passes it to Joe, shaking-off the burn with her head.)

Woman: What does it say?

Joe: This? Says, 'The Gem Saloon'.

Woman: What does it mean?

Joe: Nuthin'. Just a memento from another life. (He takes a few gulps, screws the lid back on and puts it in his jacket pocket.)

Woman: Your Spanish is very good.

Joe: Huh?

Woman: I said that you speak very good Spanish.

Joe: I don' speak Spanish?! You speak good English.

Woman: I don't speak English.

(They look at each other, confused.)

Joe: (To himself) Fuckin' frat boy...

Woman: What?

Joe: There's been plenty of crazy shit goin' on the past week or so, even stranger things than the mysterious fuckin' dissolution of the language barrier between us. Resurrections, and the fuckin' like! Pardon my French.

Woman:
Praise Jesus! Strange things have been happening to me also. Twelve days ago, I dreamt that my son was in danger. I crossed the border last week, but when I went to the police for help finding my son, they treated me like a crazy woman. They locked me up and sent me back to Mexico. But the dreams returned. I must find my son. I fear he is in great danger.

Joe: Danger? How old is your son?

Woman: Twenty-seven.

Joe: What kinda trouble do ya suppose he's in?

Woman: I was told he works for the Coyote, smuggling people and goods across the border. In my dream, he was being hunted: men with red eyes chase him through the marshes and he knows they will kill him if they catch him. My poor boy!

Joe:
Ya got any idea wheres the hell to start lookin'?

Woman:
(Gathering her composure) His father is an American. He lives in San Diego. My son lived with him for several years, but he moved out with some friends last fall. Maybe his father knows where. I'll pay you to help me find him. I have 500 American dollars that my son sent me, but there's no return address.

Joe:
We really oughta get those goddam bites looked at. I put some stuff on 'em, but they could still get infected.

Woman: Just help me find my son. The wounds feel much better now. I'll be fine.

Joe:
Whatever you say, but we best keep an eye on 'em...name's Joe, by the way.

Woman: My name is Magdalena. And I am in your debt, Joe.

(Joe starts the van and drives away, toward San Diego. Banged-up as she is, he can't help noticing her shapely legs, and beautiful skin. 'Eyes ahead, Joe' he tells himself, then takes another quick glance at her. There is something dignified, noble, graceful about her. There is wisdom around her dark eyes. Joe turns his attention back to the road. 'Thanks Fratboy.')

--Walkara

-----------------------------------------------

(Ramon and Barry are seen standing in the courtyard, arms full of foil covered trays, staring at Mitch in the palm tree. As a reporter starts toward them Ramon turns toward the bar)

Ramon: We'd better get these inside.

Barry: (Still staring at Mitch who is looking their way) How, Ramon, do you suppose that man reached such a height in that tree? Do you suppose he has discovered a special ability to do so, like the native islanders, possessing naturally the gift for retrieving sustenance from those amazing fruits hanging so daringly beneath the stiff fronds?

Ramon:
(Looking back at Barry) Coconuts or Dates? He looks stuck to me. (as the reporter approaches, Ramon gives him a stare and slightly shakes his head, stopping the man in his tracks) I'll get the door.

Barry: Thank you Ramon. (Barry stops just inside and smiles, enthralled at the sight)

Ramon: Put those over here (directing Barry toward the pool table which is wrapped in plastic and covered with tools and supplies)

Barry: (sets his large tray down) For the troops.

Ramon: (in Spanish, to his cousin and the workers) Tamales! Get them while they're hot, and soda pop.

Ramon's cousin: Cerveza?

Ramon: Later, when you are finished. I'm not sweeping up your fingers.

Barry:
(stands rapt before the stage which is now clad in fresh plywood, the skeleton of the columns stand framed on either side. He looks down and sees that the workers have placed Teddy and little Freddy, sitting together, on the edge at center stage) " Look at me now boys; no strings bend my wrist, no strings lift my feet; my head does not bob to and fro; my knees do not buckle; I'm a real boy now." (He scoffs and briefly swaggers, curling his lip defiantly) Mr. Cunningham indeed. (He looks down at the two bears noticing that they are covered with sawdust.) Oh Teddy, you've gotten dirty, and you've let little Freddy get dirty too. That is not how we treat our playmates. (Picking them both up in his arms he turns around abruptly and heads straight for the door)

Ramon:(his eyes following Barry as he walks out the bar) Bowser's gonna want his bear back. Time for another epileptic.

--SpiritontheWater

Do no harm

Sven2

Bill arrives to see Mitch in the tree surrounded by reporters.

Bill: [Talking to his pocket] Would you look at that Zip? Her Ladyship was right. Someone needs to control that crowd.

Zippy: Squawk!

Bill: Women are just like that sometimes Zip. My Lo knew that boy who helped carry her groceries when he was young was worth keeping an eye on.

Bill walks up to Freddy who is standing well away from the reporters.

Bill: Looks like we have a situation here.

Freddy: (In a sarcastic voice) Did your green bird convey the situation to you?

Bill: No it was the white one.

Zippy: Squawk!

--Theshriek

Freddy:
(staring at Mitch) If he floated up there on his own, why doesn't he just float-the-fuck back down?

Bill: (arms folded, standing just outside Freddy's shadow) That's a Jesus-brilliant question, you degenerate fuck-wit. (Shaking his head) Why don't you fuckin' crawl over there and inquire? (Makes crawling motions with his fingers) And good luck yelling it without alerting the Goddam vampires that Mitch Yost is a fucking balloon. Christ Almighty! The stupidity of you fucking drug casualties never ceases to amaze me and annoy me!

Palaka: (to Freddy) You want I should go distract the vultures for ya, Boss?

--Walkara

(Tina starts her car and puts it in drive. Cissy sits in the passenger seat, trying hopelessly to get a flame from her lighter.)

Cissy: Fuck this! (She chucks the lighter out the window and pushes-in the car cigarette lighter.)

Tina: There's a service station on the next corner.

Cissy: Don't fuckin' stop there, ya moron. The fuckin' ragheads run that place. Big Mitch goes there. Go to Imperial Beach Mobil on HWY 75, just down from Butchie's motel. I'm light on cash and I've got an account with Marco.

Tina: Okay.

(The cigarette lighter pops out and Cissy lights her cigarette and breathes it in like oxygen. Tina considers asking her not to smoke in the Mustang, but swallows her tongue and turns on the radio just in time for a news brief.)

On the radio: Local surf legend Mitch Yost is holding a demonstration from the top of a 50 foot Palm Tree at The Snug Harbor Motel at l550 Highway 75 in Imperial Beach. He refused to answer questions about the point, but, according to one eye witness, a self proclaimed "family friend," a Mr. Palaka, Yost is "raising awareness." When pressed to explain further, the man was unceremoniously summoned by a menacing individual clad in black and wearing sunglasses; when he returned, Mr. Palaka claimed that Yost was trying to raise awareness about "tree fungus." No one is sure how Yost managed to scale the otherwise healthy-looking tree, but he appears to be holding onto its branches for dear life.

(A smile creeps across Cissy's face)

Mitch Yost, you may remember, did a series of P.S.A. several years ago to clean up the sloughs. Just yesterday it was announced that the entire Yost family, including his son Butchie the Beast Yost and grandson/rising star Shaun, had signed with Stinkweed, a company Mr. Yost has made repeated attacks against to the media in the past. Stinkweed is sponsoring an exhibition of the family, also including surfing stars such as Herb & Christian Fletcher and Sonny Mac, on Saturday in I.B, with all proceeds going to the City's Clean Oceans Project.

This was Vera Cleaver with a newsbrief.

Tina: We better get over there.

Cissy: What's the fuckin' rush? He ain't goin' anywhere.

Tina: What if he floats away?

Cissy:
Welcome to my fuckin' life...I guess you better get the fuck over there then, Mother Teresa. Here we go: bringing Mitch back down to fuckin' earth. Again.

--Walkara

(Palaka stands at the office door and sees Barry and Ramon talking inside. He doesn't knock but just stands there waiting, Ramon walks over and opens the door)

Ramon: Thought you were comin' in.

Barry:
Mr. Palaka, we were just talking about you!

Palaka:
Oh yeah? Must be why my ears were ringin'.

Barry: "Yes, we have a modest proposal we'd be pleased if you'd consider and weigh carefully."

Ramon: "He wants to ask you something."

Palaka: "Yeah, go ahead ... non bear related, I hope ... spare me a beatin."

Ramon:
"It's not about the bears."

Barry: "I'll get to it, then, and just run it up the flagpole. Our soup to nuts renovation now in full swing, the workers find it necessary to leave their valuable tools and building materials unattended throughout the night hours making it a necessity, we feel, to have someone standing guard, providing security in the interim. We thought you might be willing to take this on – rough men standing ready, as it were, so the rest of us may sleep peacefully in our beds at night."

Palaka: "You want I should keep an eye on the place?"

Barry: "With a modest but fair remuneration offered on our part, with all the accustomed emoluments and appurtances thereto pertaining."

Ramon:
"Ten bucks an hour, graveyard shift. You still stay for free."

Palaka: "Ah ... would there maybe be a dental plan involved? No harm in askin, right?"

Ramon: "No dental, but we got an in-house physician."

Palaka: "I'll have to ask my regular employer, you know, run it up the flagpole with him first, see if it's alright. Though, I gotta imagine him bein' pleased, me watching out for things, letting him know what's goin' on. Uh, let me ask him and get back to you, okay? Thanks. Thanks."

(Palaka runs off.)

Ramon: "I think he'll do it, Freddy okays it. What are you looking at?"

Barry: "This place could use a flagpole."

--Gunga Din

(Barry stands contemplating the idea of a flagpole. Palaka turns around and runs back over to Barry, Ramon walks away)

Ramon: I'm gonna check for leaks in the doc's room.

Palaka:
(walks up slowly to Barry who seems in a trance) 'scuse me again, sorry, I forgot my mission...without a string on my finger I do that a lot...wow, your givin me a job just knocked it right out of my head (he slaps his forehead) wham, there it goes!

Barry: You were on a mission?

Palaka: Yeah, you could call it that, I was just supposed to, or I'm ahh checking on our little sleep over friends, and it's like time to pick him up. You know, so they can play another day.

Barry: (shaking his head not understanding) I...

Palaka: (Motioning with his hands) With the sunglasses... for the boy..

Barry:
Oh, Little Freddy!? Yes, he and Teddy, well they are getting along very well, but I thought...

Palaka:
I don't want to, I mean my boss he don't want, well he wants to get him back. A gift, for good luck and uhh.. Is he here?

Barry:
I just gave them a bath; they're in the bathroom...

Palaka:
Alone? In there, together? Oh uh, got dirty playing in the mud huh? No need to explain. Uhh well ok so then, I gotta get back, so uh, can you get him?

Barry: Certainly. I was hoping however that the young mister Yost would be stopping by today and that he would be the recipient...

Palaka: I gotta hurry back...

Barry:
Yes I'll bring him at once, I'm sorry. I didn't understand... (Barry disappears to retrieve Little Freddy and Palaka looks out the window at the reporters and Mitch in the tree)

Palaka: What do I see? A guy in a tree, an empty pool, number four? I'm gonna go down on the sand... is what I'm gonna do, before I get a beating I'll never forget...

Barry: (returning with Freddy and Teddy) He is a little wet still, there is no hair dryer but we will add them in the renovation.

Palaka: (checks the bear and re zips his jacket) Looks good looks good, ok, took a dip, maybe went surfing with the other bear, ok ... Well thanks for the hospitality... and uh, we had a good time...

Barry: Say goodbye Teddy! You were very well behaved and you are invited anytime...(waves Teddy's arm) My mother, Teddy, did not care, when we were naked and covered with sand. I cried and bled when she roughly wiped our most delicate parts. Did she not know that the sand would hurt?... I never saw that boy again Teddy... I liked him.

(Barry walks up the stairs to the doctor's room and enters, Ramon is replacing a cover on the oven)

Ramon: Looks good here, I don't smell no gas. Don't look like he's been here since last night. Got his Avon there on the table.

Barry:
He is a wonderful man. I hope I didn't frighten him away Ramon. Perhaps he and Mr. Dickstein are taking tea at the café, hashing out the details for the clinic?

Ramon: We should see about 24 next. I thought I saw some black dust in the kitchen there.

Barry: Yes Ramon, we should bravely inspect that room now. I think we will find it sufficiently exorcised. White light and no darkness. A less recognizable tune emanating through it's windows. Will we serve the rest of the Tamales Ramon?

Ramon:
We could re-heat them in the microwave. Van Morrison maybe.

(Barry and Ramon walk down to room 24, opening the door Barry enters first, smiling)[/i]

Ramon: I got your back

Barry: As I thought Ramon, Mr. Rollins no longer haunts this room!

Ramon: Maybe he's just out.

Barry:
(loses his smile) Other than damp must, I smell nothing alarming, do you concur Ramon?

Ramon: I don't smell nothin' bad, just lemme make sure the valve if off tight. (he leans down and reaches behind the oven) good then, we can go now. I don't hear no music either.

Barry: A sign perhaps reminding us to make our own music?

Ramon: (gives Barry a raised eyebrow) I put my trumpet away.

(Barry and Ramon exit and head back to the office)

--SpiritontheWater

Do no harm

Sven2

(Butchie puts pressure on his front foot to release the tail, careful not to put too much, thereby causing the fins and tail to spin out the back of the wave. He concentrates on keeping his stance nice and wide, preparing for lift off. As his board releases from the wave, he levels his feet, positioning the deck as flat under them as possible, letting his body rise as high as the board will go, he then let's the natural gravity dictate his descent. Centering his weight, he catches the lip as his point of re-entry and carves down the face. From the Pier, gathered around Cass against the south-facing railing, the crowd goes wild, cameras flashing.)

Woman: Is that Butchie Yost?

Teenage girl: Who else? And that's his son Shaun over there (She points to a figure paddling toward the breakpoint.)

Woman:
The miracle boy?!

Teenage girl: That was all hype. That Stinkweed dude said so yesterday at Surfhenge.

Woman: Who's the other one?

Teenage girl: Which other one? That one:(She points to Kai, who is carving a glassy wave further south) or that one: (She points to John, following Shaun into the barrel of a perfect A-frame)

Woman:
That one. (She motions to John)

Teenage Girl:
That's Butchie's surfing student. Calls himself Johnny Be Bad, or something like that.

(They turn their attention to the wave Shaun and John were riding. Shaun appears out the other side of the tube, but John is nowhere in sight)

Balding man: Where'd he go?!

Teenage girl:
Musta ate it.

(Back in the ocean, Shaun rides over to where Butchie is straddling his stick in the water)

Butchie: Where'd he go, Shaunie?

Shaun: (shrugs) He'll be back.

Butchie: How do you know?

Shaun:
(shrugs again) Whoa, Dad, check out that swell. (He points) That's mine. (He paddles off.)

Butchie:
Jooohn! John! What the fuck, bra! Where are ya?! (to himself) Fuck, I guess he'll be okay. (He lines up to catch the next wave.)

(On the pier, Cass is feeling claustrophobic from the crowd gathered around her, so she pushes her way out and walks down to the western edge. She scans the area for a sign of John but he appears to have vanished. She points her camera at Kai, carving through the corduroy swell. She suddenly hears John's voice, 'A Leap on faith, Cass'. Startled, she drops her camera, which is narrowly saved from the water when its shoulder-strap catches on a protruding piece of wood, a foot or so below the deck. She hops over the railing, carefully crouches down, anchoring herself to the fence with her right hand. She strains toward the camera, grazing it with her middle finger. She swings her weight toward it and catches it in her hand.)

John: (Appearing out of nowhere in the exact spot she stood ten seconds before) Baptize that fuckin' camera, Cass.

(Surprised, she looses her grip and falls backward, down, down into the water, camera in hand. She hits the water with a huge splash. The crowd, seeing her fall, rushes over to where John now stands. Their concern for her is quickly replaced by astonishment at his sudden appearance on the pier.)

Balding Man: Where did you come from?!

Teenage girl: We saw you go down and not come back up.

John: I came up.

Teenage Girl: But how?

John:
I don't know Butchie instead.

Teenage girl:
Nice try, but we've been watching you surf with him for hours.

Woman:
What about that girl? Is she okay?

John:
Cass still wants a say in what part she plays in the Christmas pageant.

(From below, Cass surfaces, dives back under and resurfaces four or five times before coming back up with her camera in hand and swimming for the shore. John walks away from the bewildered crowd to meet Cass on the beach. The crowd, reeling with confusion, is quickly distracted by the sight of Butchie and Shaun surfing in sync. Taking the lead, Butchie gathers speed, driving off his back foot as he hits the section. He pops the tail out, transfers his weight to the front foot to keep from falling off the back of the board, and gathers a little extra speed to force the layback position. Keeping his weight centered to control the slide, He lays back in the whitewash to keep balance, with Shaunie perfectly mimicking his every movement. Camera's flashed in the crowd, followed by cheering.)

Teenage girl: (Watching John walk down the pier) There's something weird about that guy...

--Walkara

------------------------------------------------

(Freddy stands outside the room watching the reporters trying to talk to Mitch, Palaka approaches holding Little Freddy out for Freddy to take, Freddy ignores the gesture)

Freddy: Next that guys gonna start cheeping. I keep waiting for him to fall out but he ain't. Must be like that fucking bird.

Palaka:
Or a salamander huh boss, sticky feet?

(Freddy glares at Palaka who cowers a bit thrusting the bear forward again)

Palaka: Got him back boss, good as new, better, Homo said he was well behaved..

Freddy: (Arms still folded) Looks like he got dropped in the toilet. That queer take him in the shower or what?

Palaka: No, no boss, he said that he needed cleaning up, got dirty with the other bear, sandy you know, went surfing I think and uh.

Freddy: Surfing? (stares at Palaka incredulously) He said the they got dirty together?

Palaka: Well uh no uh not dirty, just wet from gettin cleaned.. I'll put him on the chair here so he can dry, (he places Little Freddy on Freddy's chair and unzips his jacket) There he is... just chillin', gettin' some rays huh boss? See, there...looks cool, just chillin.

Freddy: Leave the fucking bear or I'm gonna break your fucking arm. What were they doing upstairs?

Palaka: I don't think they were upstairs boss; they didn't "get a room".

Freddy:
The Fag and the Mexican you fuckin... (Grits his teeth restraining his impulse to smack Palaka)

Palaka: Oh, those two! , yeah uh, I don't know for sure, something about the stove, cooking some grub must a been... You know, boys being boys...

Freddy:
Why'd they be cooking food in the room that physician is staying in?

Palaka:
Aah I don't really know boss... They did have a question for me though, I told 'em I'd talk to you about it...

(Freddy gets increasingly impatient with Palaka who is now looking up at Mitch in the tree and the reporters. Freddy loses his patience and slaps Palaka upside the head. Palaka grabs his stinging ear)

Freddy:
What's the fucking question?

Palaka:
Ahh ow, that stings that stings, my ear's ringing, uh... why's the guy in the tree? What were they cooking in the physician room? I don't know boss I don't know...

Freddy: (Exasperated) What... question... did the Mexican and the homo... ask you. And if you say another thing stupid I'm going to knock you up in that tree!

Palaka:
Oh, yeah that question, sorry, they wanted to see if I, or we, could be paid to look out for the place they're working on over there, the tools and stuff lying around... Ten bucks an hour night shift...

Freddy: What am I, a fry cook?

Palaka:
Good way to see what's goin' on I thought... you wanna know... I got my eye on them?

Freddy:
Ok, you can sit over there all night if you want, but you keep your eyes peeled over here. The Chinaman ain't had his last say yet.

Palaka:
Good!, good, ok then.. I'll tell 'em I'll take the job. Probably want me to were a uniform and carry a flashlight... but I'll be watching out here, after you boss... That's my real job huh?

Freddy: Just let me know what people are sayin' in there.

Palaka: You got it boss, you got it. Guess they're gonna want me to start tonight, so I better take a nap. Thought I'd go down on the sand for awhile. Before the spots are all gone...

Freddy:
Fine... One less donkey in the parade.

(Barry and Ramon stare out the office window as Palaka heads down the driveway with Chair and beach gear in hand. They see Tina's mustang pull in the driveway and park behind the Satellite truck)

Ramon:
Gonna be a three ring circus

Barry:
P.T. Barnum... "More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much".

Ramon:
"There's a sucker born every minute"

--SpiritontheWater

Cass:
(soaking wet) Why the hell did you do that John?!

John: A bit of a nut-nudge, Cass? Scare your balls off?

Cass: A bit of an understatement, John. I could've been killed--and my camera is ruined!

John: (takes the camera) Cass' camera shows the other cameras. (He hands the camera back to her, now perfectly dry.) The water showed your camera.

Cass: It's fixed?!

John:
Your camera dumped-out.

Cass:
Okay, well...let's go get some dry clothes on, or are you staying with Shaun, Butchie, and Kai?

John: My Father has Big and HUGE at the Snug Harbor.

Cass:
(taking his hand, she leads John toward the street) Shit! I didn't bring my car. It looks like we're stranded here until they're done.

John:
They're done.

(Shaun rides a swell to the shore, followed by Butchie and Kai)

Butchie: What's the fuckin' rush, Shaunie?

Shaun:[/b] John's ready to go.

Butchie:
Where the fuck is he then? (Butchie spots him near the El Camino, standing next to Cass) Shoulda known he'd be with that skinny, blond chic."

Shaun: It's Cass, dad.

Butchie:
Whatever...holy shit, bra: the fuckin' onion was throwin' us some primo fuckin' waves today. You sure you wanna call it a day already?

Kai:
I think I'm gonna stay behind for awhile.

Butchie: Your jeep's at the motel. You'll have to walk-the-fuck back.

Kai:
Not if you come back for me in a few hours. (She grabs his hand, pulls him to her, and kisses his salty lips with her.) Later, Shaunie! (She turns around and heads back out into the water.)

John: This country is doomed. But go ahead, have fun.

--Walkara

(Palaka sees Dr. Smith walking toward him on the sidewalk after he crosses the road to the beach; the doctor is holding the pink robe in his hands and is wearing a pair of board shorts and a new Stinkweed t-shirt)

Palaka: Hey! There he is! My savior. We was wondering about you Doc, checked you for leaks though and everything's fine. You won't have to worry about blowing yourself to kingdom come when you light up.

Dr. Smith: (dazed and confused) Palaka, hello, how are you? I was just going back to my room, I was just coming from...well I'm not sure actually, but it is good to see you... Your ear is very red, are you ok?

Palaka: Oh that uh, thanks for noticing, it's nothing, my ear is ringing, do you want to examine.. no blood coming out or anything? Go ahead and take a look there. (he tilts his head toward Dr. Smith)

Dr. Smith: I don't see anything alarming. If you want to come by later I can give it a more thorough examination, I don't have my otoscope here with me...

Palaka: Oh, Ok, yeah, well I might just do that. Right now I'm going to the beach for a little rest. Replenish my nutrition with a transfusion and the like...

Dr. Smith: OK then, I will be seeing you later. You may want to put some cotton in if you go in the water...

Palaka: Ok doc will do, if I go swimming with the sharks, I won't want to attract them.

(Palaka continues on his way and the Doctor crosses the street toward the Snug Harbor Motel)

--SpiritontheWater

Do no harm

Sven2

Cissy: (smiling to herself) HEY MITCH! GET THE FUCK DOWN FROM THERE!

Mitch:
VERY FUNNY! (He nods his head toward the gathering crowd) I'LL WAIT 'EM OUT!

Cissy: GOOD FUCKIN' LUCK! AND THANKS FOR RAISIN' AWARENESS! (Her smile breaks flesh)

Mitch: RAISING AWARENESS?!

Cissy: 'BOUT TREE FUNGUS! (She chuckles to herself)

Mitch: (looking at the crowd below, annoyed) YOU'RE WELCOME! IT'S A SERIOUS PROBLEM!

Cissy: (under her breath) You're a serious problem, Mitch. (She turns to Tina, who is standing in the shade) Hey! You! Let's go! (She summons Tina with her hand)

Tina: Should I see if anyone has a gas can?

Cissy: What the fuck are you talkin' about??

Tina: For your car...

Cissy: Fuck that piece of shit. Take me to the fucking internet café.

Tina:
Linc's meeting Jake there.

Cissy:
Sounds like they might need some fucking supervision, knowin' the kind of under-handed assholes we're in bed with now. You must feel right at fucking home.

Tina: (she looks down) Okay, let's go then. (She walks to her car)

Reporter: (approaching the two women as they're getting in the mustang) Tina Blake! Is it true you dropped Shaun on the Yost's doorstep hours after he was born?

Cissy: No, she punted him through the goddamn window, ya stupid fuckin' moron! Go fuck yourself! Go fuck your frigid fat-ass wife, you dickless parasite! (Tina puts the car in reverse, swings back, nearly clipping the reporter, and kicks it into drive) And have a nice fucking day! (Cissy smiles and they zoom away)

--Walkara

(Freddy watches as Tina and Cissy leave for the internet cafe; he looks down at Little Freddy in the beach chair and speaks to him)

Freddy: There goes Beauty and the Beast.

(Freddy sees Dr. Smith walking up the driveway)

Freddy: What the fuck, this guy's a shape shifter now too?

(Dr. Smith approaches Freddy and nods slightly, getting an icy stare he continues on his way to his room).

Barry: Oh, there he is! That wonderful man, carrying over his arm a delicate garment of some sort. Do you think he'd like a tamale Ramon?

Ramon: (Raising an eyebrow at Barry) Looks like he means to be alone right now. He just been somewhere.

Barry: (sings under his breath) My boyfriend's back and you're gonna be in trouble, hey la...

--SpiritontheWater

(Tina's car pulls into the Internet Cafe. She and Cissy get out and enter. Inside, business is booming. The tables are all filled with an unusually diverse group of people: executives in suits, women in bikinis, a group of men with thick dreadlocks, a cute, little Korean couple sipping coffee in the corner. Tina spots Linc and Jake sitting at the bar and walks over to them. Dwayne sits in his usual place, staring, eyes-glazed, at the screen. When Cissy walks by she sees her son, grandson, and 'Captain Kirk', carving the water. Jerri is rushing back and forth between her tables and her place, staring over Dwayne's shoulders.)

Cissy: What the fuck gives? Did you start selling booze, or what?

Jerri:
They were lined around the fuckin' block when I got here this mornin'. They'd still be huddled around those fuckin' computers if I hadn't screamed like a banshee for everyone to take a fucking seat and order something or get the fuck out.

Cissy:
Looks like you'll be getting out of Doris' arrears sooner than ya thought...I'm so far up her 'arrears' I can't take a breath without smelling her shit.

Jerri: She's on the prowl today too, said she was goin' over to the Surf Shop to talk to you, but it was closed.

Cissy: Kai fuckin quit on me!

Jerri: She told me.

Cissy:
What did she fuckin' say?!

Jerri:
That she was tired of you pissin' in her ear.

Cissy: Good fuckin' riddance then. (She walks over to where Linc, Jake, and Tina are sitting at the counter. She taps the young woman sitting in the seat next to Linc on the shoulder) Fuck off, sweetheart, I need this seat.

Young woman: Well, too bad. I was, like, here first.

Cissy: (gets in her face) No shit, captain obvious: but I'm here now. MOVE! (She pulls the chair out and "helps" the girl out of her seat, sits down, and turns to Linc) How do we best compromise ourselves today, Linc?

Linc: Stinkweed's trying to back out of sponsoring the exhibition in I.B. They said they'd still donate the proceeds to cleaning-up the water, but they were pushing to have the event itself at Huntington Beach.

Cissy:
Fuck that! The whole goddamn point is to highlight Imperial Beach. I hope you told 'em to go fuck 'emselves.

Linc: In as many words.

Cissy: Maybe there's some fucking hope for you yet.

Linc:
Tina was just saying that Mitch is...caught is a tree?

Cissy: Yeah, maybe you better get over there and do some damage control with the fucking press. Somehow they think Mitch is holding a little demonstration to 'raise awareness' about tree fungus or some shit.

Linc: I better get over there...I gotta run a few errands with Jake first though. Think Mitch will be okay for awhile?

Cissy: I'm sure Mitch's feels right at home, looking down upon the fallen mortals. Bill and Freddy and his goon are doing crowd control.

Linc: (to Tina) You comin' with us?

Cissy: Hell no, she's not. She's my fucking ride!

Tina: I'll stay with Cissy.

Linc: (Linc kisses her firmly on the lips) I'll see you later then. (To Jake) Let's go.

Jake: (getting up) Pleasure seeing you ladies again. (He grins)

Cissy: Pleasure was all ours, you nutless, fuckin' weasel. (Looks at Tina) I don't trust that little fuck-face.

Tina: Me either, but Linc's always ten steps ahead of him. (She scoots over to the seat in which Linc sat, next to Cissy) What should we do now?

Cissy:
Eat.

(Cissy orders a hamburger, medium rare, and Tina orders a salad with rice vinegar. After they're finished eating, Cissy motions to Tina, slaps Jerri, still hovering over Dwayne, on the ass, and walks out)

(Time passes. As soon as one seat or table is emptied, it's quickly filled with a new customer. Jerri stays busy, checking the computer screen whenever she gets a spare minute. Dwayne and the others are still staring at the video of Shaun, Butchie, Kai and John surfing.)

Dwayne: Hits are rising at a geometric rate. Pretty soon the whole country's going to be watching.

Jerri: I can't imagine that anyone would have anything better-the-fuck to do.

(The video in the computer changes to a scene under the pier. Cass's camera is still rolling from where she dropped it, hanging above the water at an angle. The camera catches a beach bum drifting asleep under the pier - bottle safely between his thighs. He is wearing a Stinkweed T-shirt. Then the camera falls, hits the water, and all the computer screens go black.)

Patron: What happened?

Dwayne: I guess 'the feed' is over for now.

(As people slowly accept this, they filter out of the Internet Cafe. Another hour or so passes before everyone but Dwayne has gone. Jerri switches the sign to 'Closed' and starts cleaning up.)

Dwayne: How much longer are you gonna be?

Jerri:
It'll be another hour or so. Why?

Dwayne: We should stop by Butchie's motel after you finish up.

Jerri:
Why? (She looks at him, and over his shoulder sees that 'the feed' has resumed from the Snug Harbor. The camera zooms in on Mitch Yost, atop a palm tree, taking questions from a crowd below.)

--Waxon & Walkara

----------------------------------------------------

(Linc drives west on Imperial Beach Blvd, toward the ocean. He and Jake have just left a meeting with Wonderboy.)

Jake: So, when are you gonna tell 'em, Linc?

Linc: I'm not--and neither are you.

Jake: They're gonna find out sooner of later, dude.

Linc:
No, they're not. The event is being held in I.B. Period. Tell 'em whatever-the-fuck ya gotta tell 'em--but it's happening here or it's not gonna happen.

Jake: The Money just doesn't think I.B. has a high enough profile to invest in.

Linc:
The point is to raise the profile, and try to clean-up the Sloughs while we're at it.

John: (Appears in the back seat, unacknowledged.) I.B. is juiced!

Jake:
But, it's my ass on the line if this shit blows up in our faces.

Linc: I don't think that'll be an issue.

John: That's how we do it in I.B.! (He disappears)

(They turn north onto Seacoast Drive and spot Cissy's Miata in the distance. Linc slows down as they approach and takes his eye off the road for a second, when he looks back, he sees a skateboarder directly in front of him. He cranks the wheel right, narrowly missing the boarder, SLAMMING into Cissy's Miata instead. Jake, not wearing a seat-belt, smacks his head against the window.)

Linc: (dazed) Shiiiit! Fuck!...tell me we didn't just demolish The Queen of the Ballbuster's car. (Looking to survey the damage, he cringes, seeing the Miata practically wrapped around his Navigator.) Fuck me. Well: we're fucked. Now might be a good time to invest in some fuckin' body armor--before the dragon-lady scorches our balls off.

Jake: (right hand held to the side of his head) Oww, my fuckin' head is bleeding. (He puts his hand in front of his face. There is a small drop of blood on it)

Linc: Spotting is more like it. Do you need a tampon? (He takes off his seat belt, kicks the door open, and stumbles out.)

Jake: (Getting out of the car) Jesus! What the hell happened?!

Linc: (walking around to Jake's side) Some fucking kid, jumped out in front of me.

Jake:
What fuckin' kid?

Linc:
On a skateboard, dickhead.

Jake: I didn't see any kid, Linc.

(Red and blue lights flash. A cop car parks and an officer gets out and approaches the accident.)

Anderson: Is everyone alright?

(Linc and Jake nod)

Anderson: (surveying the scene) Isn't that Cissy Yost's car?

Linc:
It was...

--Walkara

Do no harm

Sven2

(Mitch examines the underdeveloped dates pushing a bunch aside to see where they are attached; a cluster falls to the ground and rolls up to where a smoldering cigarette butt has just been tossed by the reporter)

Reporter 1: So Mitch, is this the new face of Yosts? Makeshift parades and tree climbing spokesman?

Mitch:
You want to a pick up that butt off that dry grass, or do you just wanna get tape of me going up in flames here?

(The reporter looks down and sees that the butt he tossed is indeed igniting the dry weeds at the base of the tree, he stamps it out.)

Reporter 2: Mr. Yost, is it true that you have just come back from securing financing for a deal that would bring Imperial Beach up to the level of Huntington Beach as far as the pro surfing community is concerned? Have you not signed a deal to develop this very site as Yost Towers condominium and shopping complex?

Mitch:
I have done no such thing and I don' t know who is feeding you your information but you can put me on record here and now that I am here (he looks up and notices the jagged spikes at the base of the fronds)in this...tree, to protest any such development. I am opposed to any proposals that seek to make IB into anything like Huntington. The El Camino should not be turned into a festering sewage spewing Barbie playhouse for the rich and famous.

Reporter 1: You mean the Snug Harbor? That's were we are Mr. Yost, the Snug Harbor Motel?

(Mitch looks out at the sign on the street)

Mitch: Yeah I know where I am. The El Camino is next on the auction block down in Baja. If you guys want to get a scoop worth reporting you'd head down there and check out that land rape being acted out as we speak, in the name of free trade and one world.

Reporter 3: Are you saying that you are here in protest against some development enterprise and not to bring awareness about the tree fungus that has been decimating our landscapes?

Mitch: (thinks a bit) Yes and no. The tree fungus, just like the filth that is flowing unchecked on to the shore behind you, is all the same problem. These developments are being sanctioned without any regulation or oversight that's worth a damn. Irreparable damage is being done behind the scenes by these so called progress plans. IB is not immune to it any more than the El Camino sanctuary was two months ago. Check the number of days closed last year at the San Luis Bay River outlet or the P.B. Point at Pacific Beach, and right here at your own Tijuana Estuary. The long term cost we're paying for this progress is being paid for in blood. I suggest you take your camera crews and go take a closer look around those locations. Start reporting what the people living in those areas are saying instead of wasting your time sensationalizing the next face you wanna see on the front of a Cheerios box.

Reporter 1: But aren't those numbers coming down every year, with people making officials aware and they in turn taking action on these isolated problems? Doesn't it just take time to get these unexpected side effects under control?

Mitch: You aren't even getting the real numbers anymore. They are not under control and they are not unexpected side effects being remedied by a little extra planning. This toxic garbage is increasing everywhere, and no, there is not someone doing anything about it. The ones who could do something about it are in the pockets of the ones responsible for creating this poison and they are long gone by the time your kid is sick and puking in his hospital bed. It's you and I who are responsible now.

Reporter 1: And that's why you're up in a tree?

Mitch: (now visibly angry) Yeah, I guess that's right.

Freddy: (to the bear in the chair) Been killin people in Hawaii for years. Nobody there even looks.. Fuckin' Moana got sick like that, fourteen fuckin nights I was there...

--SpiritontheWater

(Dr. Smith sits at his table staring at the open Avon catalog, and unopened pack of Blue American Spirits sits on the table next to the catalog.)

Dr Smith: We were looking at these figures and then we saw them above the bar. I remember feeling the urgent need to leave. Where was I going?

(A scene flashes in his mind of him taking a delivery of medical supplies at the clinic, the space is cleaned and the rudiments of fixtures and furniture are seen in the reception area and examination room. As the front door closes behind him he turns and sees a painter in the hall who says "Another coat on Monday and you're good to go Doc", He hears the bell on the front door ring and with a flash of red light sees the near miss accident between the skate boarder and Linc's navigator. With that the vision ends)

Dr. Smith: The Clinic. I went to the clinic to look at the supply catalog.

(Dr. Smith gets up hurriedly and leaves his room. Seeing the crowd in the courtyard he quickly descends the steps and turns to take the back route. As he turns the corner past the office he runs into Ramon who is cleaning the bbq grill)

Ramon: Whoa there Doc, don't want to crash into the grill you'll get your whites all dirty with the black here.

Dr Smith: I'm sorry; I was in a hurry and didn't see you. I think I have some urgent business at the clinic. Possibly an emergency.

Ramon: Best get over there then, gonna be a three alarm here tonight too. I'm getting the coals ready for the fire.

(Dr. Smith hurries off behind the building and runs down the rear alley. Approaching the clinic Dr. Smith sees that the windows have been re-signed and he stops there stunned. A line of stick figures like paper dolls joined at the hands appears beneath the words ATROPOS FREE CLINIC)

Boy: Are you the Doctor?

Dr. Smith: (Startled) Yes, I suppose I am but I haven't quite started these operations yet.

Boy: I don't feel too good

Dr. Smith:
(Feels the boy's head) You are pale and a fever too I think. Come inside. (Dr. Smith opens the door and is surprised to see the reception area nearly complete)

Boy: It smells in here. I think I'm gonna hurl.

Dr. Smith: (quickly escorts the boy to the examination room) No no, just try to relax; it's just the smell of wall paint still drying. Let's take a look here. Jump up on the examination table here. (Dr. Smith eyes the examination table with awe and looks around at the room which besides a few boxes and only partially stocked shelves is almost complete) Have you been in an accident?

Boy: Some asshole almost picked me off a few minutes ago but that's not why I came here. I came to a dentist here once. I thought he'd be here. I was really sick last night. I think I need some medicine.

Dr. Smith: Did you tell your parents so they could have driven you here instead of having to ride your skateboard not feeling well? (Dr. Smith looks to the counter and sees a jar with sterilized thermometers and pulls one out and sticks it under the boys tongue)

Boy: (Talking with thermometer in his mouth) My mom's at work. She works two jobs.

Dr. Smith:
Don't talk; let's get your temp first. Have you been surfing lately?

Boy: (Nods yes)

Dr. Smith: (Opens a few other drawers and cabinets to see what is in them as the boy watches him) There have been several reported cases lately of severe gastroenteritis caused by the Rotavirus which can show up in contaminated surf especially after several days of overcast weather.

Boy: (Baffled look on his face)

Dr. Smith: We have had several days of sun this past week so it may not be that but we need to be sure. Do you surf south or north of the pier?

Boy: (Motions with his thumbs out to the sides indicating both direction)

Dr. Smith: (removes the thermometer and reads it) Yes as I thought you do have a temperature. Have you been experiencing and stomach pain or diarrhea?

Boy: My stomach has been killing me and I am taking a dump like every five seconds.

Dr. Smith: I'm going to give you something to relieve your immediate symptoms and then I will need to speak with your mother as soon as she can stop by. This is very important. I will need her consent to take some additional tests and those tests must be done this afternoon or at the very latest tomorrow morning.. Can she come in this afternoon?

Boy: I don't know, she works all the time and I never really know when she's gonna be home.

Dr: Smith: What about your father?

Boy: He doesn't live here anymore. It's just me and mom.

Dr. Smith: Do you have her phone number so that I can call her?

Boy:(fishes in his pocket and pulls out a scrap of paper and hands it to the doctor.)

Dr. Smith: I'll be right back, just sit here for a moment.

(Dr. Smith walks down the hall and opens the door to the storage room. He opens a box and takes out samples of Tylenol and kaopectate. Opening the packs he removes one tab of each. He then enters his office and finds a desk and chair and several boxes of books and files. On the desk is the supplies catalog. There is a stick man figure on the front incorporated in the company logo.)

Dr. Smith: I do not know what this means or what has just happened to me, but I have to say, I feel wonderful.

(He copies down the mothers work numbers and returns to the examination room, dropping the tablets in a cup he hands them to the boy along with a cup of water.)

Dr. Smith: Take these Adam and I will call your mother shortly. In the mean time you need to rest. Do you live nearby?

Adam: Not too far, how'd you know my name?

Dr. Smith: (Smiling) Your mother has it written it on this slip of paper she has given you with your emergency numbers. I have noted your home phone number as well. (Dr. Smith returns the paper to the boy who puts it back in his pocket.) You should feel a little better shortly but the effects of the medicine I gave you will not last. After I speak with your mother I will call you at home and arrange for you to come back, ok?

Adam: (Smiling) Ok. Thanks doc.

Dr. Smith: (Walks the boy up front and before reaching for the door notices a set of business cards on the reception desk counter.) He pulls one and hands it to the boy. I'm guessing this is the number here, you call me if you start feeling bad again. And please do as I have asked, go home and rest, it will not be good for you to be out playing all day. No surfing for the time being as well. Do you understand?

Adam: Ok doc, I'll do it. Don't feel like doing anything anyway.

(Doctor Smith watches the boy skate across the street, a car brakes hard to avoid hitting him, he returns to the office and sits in the chair behind the desk. He looks at the business card; it reads Atropos Free Clinic, "Re-tying the strings" Dr. Michael Smith, MD. (619) 911-1424. A continuous string of stick figures border the card.)

Dr. Smith: Re-tying the strings...

(Dr. Smith notices his hand as he flips open the supply catalog; he realizes that he is twenty again. He gets up to find a mirror to verify it.)

--SpiritontheWater

Do no harm

Sven2

(Meyer dials the phone and reaches Barry who is in route to his beachfront home, Teddy rides securely seat belted in the passenger seat)

Barry: I am speaking to you hands free Meyer but I should inform you I do not like to do so. Could you call me again once I am in and settled? I am on my way home.

Meyer: Of course, would fifteen minutes be satisfactory? I have some very important news regarding the motel property.

Barry: You may come by if you think this requires a discourse over a nice Merlot.

Meyer: I'll call you in twenty minutes.

--SpiritontheWater

[As the group of reporters crowd around the tree looking and listening to Mitch, Emma Borden walks away from the gaggle and signals for her cameraman, Luke to follow her as she walks towards the swimming pool.]

Luke: Don't you want hear the rest?

Emma: No. I want to take a look around. We might find more of a story elsewhere. Why I feel that way I have no idea. Look at this place. If Bette Davis had seen this one first, she might have felt differently about the other one.

Luke: So was that the new owner who was toting those stuffed bears around?

Emma: The definition of a one's behavior goes from crazy to eccentric once you become a Mega-Millionaire. [They reach the still empty swimming.] Looks like Cunningham is going to have to use all his money just to make this pool look clean again.

Luke: I don't know. That #4 sure looks sparkly and shiny.

[Emma laughs and then turns reflective again. They walk towards the shuffleboard court.]

Emma: I feel like I have seen in the place before.

Luke: Maybe you visited here when you were young.

Emma: I didn't grow up in Imperial Beach. Do you hear that sax and harmonica playing?

Luke: What?!?

[They reach the shuffleboard court.]

Luke: Damn, would you look at that! Someone fucked with all the numbers.

[Emma gets a look of wonderment on her face and kneels on the ground next to the court. At that moment Butchie, Shaun, and John return from surfing. John immediately jumps out of the van, and he and Emma stared intently at each other.]

John: Emma will read the word made by the 1's and 0's in Cass camera.

--Theshriek

(Butchie, Shaun, John, and Cass pile out of the El Camino. They notice the crowd gathered at the base of the motel's largest palm tree, with Mitch at the top.)

Butchie: What the fuck's goin' on here?

John: Cass needs more cameras.

(Cass walks around the area, careful to capture all the 0's and 1's. And John walks over to the shuffleboard court, where Emma is still kneeling)

John: See Cass, Emma. (He walks off)

(Butchie and Shaun linger by the El Camino, leery of the press. But they are soon spotted.)

Reporter: (approaching them) Butchie Yost! Are you here in support of your father's attempt to raise awareness?

Butchie: Awareness?? 'Bout what?

Reporter: At first it was tree fungus, but now he's talking about the whole environment.

Butchie: Well, shouldn't you be over there fuckin' listenin' then?

Reporter: I guess so. (He walks back to the crowd)

Butchie: (looks at his son, standing next to him) Hey bud, you mind kickin' it here with John while I go back for Kai?

Shaun: Nope. Hey, do you think Mr. Cunningham will care if I skate in the pool?

Butchie: Not if you ask him real fuckin' nice. (He winks at Shaun and tousles his hair) Later, dude. (He gets back into the car and drives off)

--Walkara

------------------------------------------------------

(Day wanes at the Snug Harbor. Still perched atop the tree, Mitch holds court to reporters below: the environment, immigration, foreign policy, terrorism; he speaks with conviction and authority. Shaun skates the empty swimming pool, surrounded by "gawkers", "candle fanatics," and the reporters bored by Mitch's oratory. Freddy stands outside his room, arms folded, while Palaka runs around fulfilling his Boss' orders. John walks through the crowd, drawing stickmen in the dirt and offering the occasional cryptic sentence. Cass orbits around him, occasionally lingering with a circle of people. Emma Borden and her bewildered cameraman, Luke, follow Cass, filming as they go. Bill is leaned against Mitch's station wagon, arms-folded, with Zippy perched on his shoulder.)

Bill:
Having committed ourselves, Zip, to keeping the goddam peace; amidst the mounting insanity, wild with rumors of that chrome-haired Anderson Cooper being en route, wouldn't our purpose be better fucking served by getting a fucking fire truck down here, with a ladder to deliver Mitch from his ass-fucked perch? (Pause) You're right about that, Zip. We wouldn't want to enflame the clusterfuck...(Pause) Alright, alright...let's say, for example, a concerned citizen were to report a goddam cat stuck in a tree in this vicinity...and, upon arrival, with no cat in sight, they were pointed in Mitch's direction. (Pause) Why wouldn't he fuckin' be ready to come down?! Assuming the fucking helium's gone outta him, he's liable to break his neck, and crush one of those viper shit-heels sitting around the base of that tree in the process! We are on the precipice, Zip. (He turns around and spots a cell phone on the passenger's seat of Mitch's car, and takes it as a sign.)

(Across the parking lot, John stands next to Freddy, mimicking his stance. Cass walks around them, filming.)

Freddy: Whadda you want, shapeshifter?

John:
I got a lizard back home, changes shapes.

Freddy: Chameleons...(Freddy smiles to himself)

John: You cocksuckers always need someone to work for. Moana needs to work here, for Freddy. Freddy will stare not-hele-back-to-Hawaii down. That kid better be more than half-smart. (He walks away)

--Walkara

(Driving west on Palm, Butchie watches the sun set. He inhales the moment, everything falling into place, and exhales. Suddenly the stereo lights up and starts playing a song.

Butchie: Hell, yeah, baby! (He reaches to turn it up until he remembers there aren't any dials.) More fuckin' Sublime, huh? Rock on!

Sublime - Bad Fish
When you grab a hold of me,
you tell me that I'll never be set free.
but I'm a parasite,
creep and crawl I step into the night.

Two pints of booze.
Tell me are you a badfish too?
(are you a badfish too?)
Ain't got no money to spend.
I hope the night would never end.

Lord knows I'm weak.
Won't somebody get get me off of this reef?

Baby you're a big blue whale
grab the reef when all duck divin' fails
I swim, but I wish I never learned,
the water's too polluted with germs.
I dive deep when it's ten feet over head.
grab the reef underneath my bed.
(underneath my bed)

Ain't got no quarrels with God,
ain't got no time to grow old.

Lord knows I'm weak,
won't somebody get me off of this reef?

-Bradley Nowell

(By the time the song ends, Butchie is parking the El Camino. He gets out, grabs his board and Kai's duffle bag outta the back and walks to the water, which he reaches just as Kai reaches the land.)

Kai: Back already?

Butchie: Back for my lady.

Kai: You wanna throw our shit in the car and walk around the pier for awhile?

Butchie: Fuck yeah, I do.

(Walking back, Butchie and Kai bump elbows every few yards. After putting their boards in the car, they shed their wet-suits and each put on jeans, a t-shirt, and flip-flops. They clasp hands and swagger to the pier. They wander hand-in-hand for a good hour before settling at the west edge. The pier is strangely empty, with only a couple fisherman clear down on the north side. Ducking behind a structure, Butchie pulls Kai to him and kisses her.)

Kai: Here?

Butchie: Now. (He nods his head, grinning.)

(Kai wraps her arms around his neck and they kiss. She moves a hand to the back of his head, and massages with each stroke of her lips. Their bodies find a grove and the hammer stands at attention. Butchie runs his hands up and down her sides, brings them up to her face and kisses her deeper and deeper. He presses her up against the structure, kisses her neck and unbuttons her pants. She returns the favor and then he's inside her. They move together, face-to-face, clasping hands and looking into each other's eyes. Butchie's sees himself there, and recognizes the man he sees reflected lovingly back at him. When he is spent, he quickly pulls his pants up, then falls to his knees and starts kissing Kai's stomach.)

Kai: Butchie...

Butchie: The compact metal detector in my tongue is ringing.

Kai: (She grabs his hand and pulls him up to her) Stay up here, okay? (She kisses him on the lips then looks down.)

Butchie: What's wrong? (He lifts her chin with his finger and looks in her eye)

Kai: Nuthin'. I just want you close.

Butchie: I'm right fuckin' here.

(They kiss)

(An hour later, Kai sits in Butchie's lap, laying against his chest, both watching the sunset (Look))

Kai: Hey, Butchie...

Butchie: Yeah?

Kai: I'm gonna start competing.

Butchie: Hell, yeah. (He looks at her) You're the best chick on the fuckin' water.

Kai: (Punches his leg) The best chick huh??

Butchie: Fuuck! (He wraps his arms around her, grabs her arms, and squeezes, restraining her, and rocks her back and forth.) 'Scuse me: I meant the best surfer of all fuckin' time!

Kai: (Resting her head back against him) That's more like it.

Butchie: Stinkweed'll fuckin' sign ya. Shit! They'd haveta be fuckin' crazy not to.

Kai:
I got some interest from Billabong. They want to fly me out to Hawaii for an audition next week.

Butchie:
(swallows) You gonna go?

Kai: I think I have to, Butchie.

Butchie: Yeah... me too. (His heart sinks.)

Kai: But I'll be back--chances are they won't even sign me.

Butchie: Chances are you're gonna conquer the fuckin' world, Kai. You still gonna fuckin' surf with us on Saturday?

Kai: Of course. (Kai turns around and looks at him) You're not mad?

Butchie: Why the fuck would I be mad?

Kai: About me leavin'?

Butchie: I'll miss ya...(He looks down)...a lot.

Kai: (Taking his face in her hands) I'll be here any time you need me. (She kisses him and turns back around)

(They watch the sun sink into the water before they walk back to the car, still holding hands. Butchie wants to tell Kai that he needs her eyes to see himself, but bites his tongue and tells himself that things won't ever change between them.)

--Walkara

(Barry sits cross legged in his empty living room looking out at his private beach. The sea is nearly flat, Teddy sits facing him)

Barry: I am sorry Teddy, that man is rough and clearly at a loss concerning Freddy's needs at this most sensitive time of life. (Pause) I did not imagine that you were responsible for the sawdust. (Pause) Teddy! One of the workers? (Pause) It does not matter that it was a brief pose, you and little Freddy should never have been so humiliated even for a second, not even for a laugh!

(Barry's phone rings)

Barry: We are not finished discussing this horrible turn of events Teddy, but I must now talk to Meyer Dickstiein who has so diligently represented our interests thus far. Hello Meyer.

Meyer: I have just finished reading a letter from the county planning commission wherein they convey an offer to buy the Snug Harbor property.

Barry: Oh! An unexpected development. Have we indicated in some way that we are offering ourselves for sale? Do we stand on a corner somewhere?

Meyer: No we do not. And now confirming that you have not done so with me unawares, I am now alarmed; sure that this letter paves the way and precedes an action to allow compulsory purchase should we refuse their offer; a veiled threat to exercise the recently loosed rights of eminent domain.

Barry: Eminent Domain? Doesn't that require a plan for public use?

Meyer: Yes it does, but I'm afraid anything goes now since the most recent court decisions have opened that up to anyone's interpretation. I will need some time to research proposals recently submitted by developers that would incorporate your property and those adjacent. I will contact you as soon as I discover the extent of the efforts in motion.

Barry: You are invaluble to me sir. I trust you will turn to dust any tyranny searching for vulnerability. Will you be joining us this evening, Ramon is preparing a wonderful meal, our cookouts are a permanent fixture now, with your fiancé?

Meyer:
I have received a message from Cissy Yost, so I do believe we will be there.

Barry: Until then.

(Meyer hangs up and goes back in the Café. Barry returns his attention to Teddy)

Barry: They could not have discovered our saltpeter. For what purpose do you suppose this coup has been conspired? Have I betrayed us, Teddy?

--SpiritontheWater

(Mitch still in the tree. Sirens approaching in the background. Bill is getting out of his car as he begins a discourse)

Bill: Tickers, tickers tickers! Nothing is sacred. Nothing is lost of the back page anymore. At the first mention of Anderson Copper I contacted my brothers in the fire department. They approach for rescue of cat! Didn't want to alarm the authorities. Now looking at John in the distance: John! Not to worry they come for a cat!

John: Mitch Yost is back in the game.

(Camera rolls to Mitch in the tree. He rolls his eyes in embarrassment at all the commotion. The top of a ladder appears at the bottom of the view. The camera pans back to reveal a rather short ladder with a firemen tending to Mitch. Mitch begins to descend at the instant he is touched by the fireman. The fireman helps him to the ground.)

--Waxon

(. . . .but as soon as he lets go and turns his back, Mitch starts floating up, careful not to be discovered by on-lookers, he grabs the tree and makes like he is shimmying back up.)

Fireman: WHAT THE SAM-HELL ARE YOU DOING!?

Mitch: RAISING AWARENESS! (He reached the top and anchors himself there by wrapping his legs around the prickly base.)

Fireman: WHY THE FUCK DID YOU HAVE US BOTHER GETTING YOU DOWN THEN?!

Mitch: SORRY! (He rolls his eyes at himself, in embarrassment)

Fireman: (to Bill) We ain't coming back. He can stay up there for all I care. (To his crew) Alright, boys! Pack it up! If the star wants to stay on top of his tree, let him!

John: Mitch Yost is back in the tree.

--Walkara

--------------------------------------------

(Barry, cell phone to his ear, is seen standing through his large glass window Teddy eye level from the floor, his pants rolled up to his knee and the surf rolls up around his feet and drenches his pants. He is knocked a few steps back but he regains his balance and does not fall)

Samuel Hostetler IV: (answers the phone at his place of business) Hostetler fabrication and steel supply, How can we help you?

Barry: I wish to purchase a flagpole.

--SpiritontheWater

Do no harm

Sven2

[Daphne has arrived at the current chaos of Snug Harbor, and she stands by her car looking for Meyer. Palaka walks up to her.]

Palaka: Hello. Hello. [Daphne takes a step back from Palaka as if she wants to run away]. If you are wanting to know the location of your intended, he is upstairs with the Doctor.

Daphne: [Look of concern appearing on her face.] Has he been hurt?

Palaka: Hurt? No. No miss. I didn't mean to agitate you by suggesting that he was indisposed. He is meeting with the Doctor about the hospital trouble.

Daphne: Thank you. [Walks towards Smith's room.]

Palaka: Glad to be of use while I am awaiting more orders from my boss.

[As Daphne walks through the grounds, she passes John who is still standing next to Freddy; they both have their arms folded. Meyer comes out of Smith's room and immediately spots Daphne. He smiles and walks quickly towards her.]

John: One good blowjob rocked the Jew lawyer's world.

Freddy: Musta have been his first one.

Daphne: Meyer I thought you came down here to help Mitch Yost, and now that criminal's hand puppet tells me that you were talking to the doctor about the hospital suit.

Meyer: I know that you wanted me to convince the Yosts that the doctor was negligent, but I couldn't do it.

Daphne: I want you to be a wealthy, successful lawyer, but I also want your happiness. I told you that I wasn't the fair-weather type and, I guess that includes the times you won't take the easy money.

Meyer: Thank you Bubbala. [Passionate kiss.] So why are here?

Daphne: Well I thought that this Mitch Yost situation would be a tense one for you, and I thought maybe I could help you with that.

Meyer: [He gives her a stunned look] I don't understand what has brought about this change in you. That time on the beach you...

Daphne: [Interrupting] Shaun Yost's disappearance caused me to reevaluate my life. I realized that there was a lot that I hadn't done. C'mon. [She tries to drag Meyer into Room 24.]

Meyer: Not that room!

Daphne: [Puzzled] OK. How about we try the beach again? [She kisses him.]

Meyer: You mean it? [She nods.] Well there isn't much going on around here anyways.

[They walk past the Yosts, reporters, tree-huggers, candle fanatics, and almost everyone else that lives in IB and head towards the beach.]

-Theshriek

---------------------------------------------
Dr.Smith is dialing number for Adam's mother.

Voice: We're sorry, the number you have dialed is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please check the number and try again.

Dr. Smith: That can't be right. (He re-dials the number and gets the same message. After trying another time he calls the operator at the hospital)

Dr. Smith: Hello, this is Doctor Smith please connect me to Janet in records.

Janet: Hello Dr. Smith, can I help you?

Dr. Smith: I hope so, I need to get in touch with a former patient, there is an urgent matter regarding her son. Her name is Angela Corrado.

Janet: I'll check... give me a sec... That was quick... this is strange, Dr. our records indicate that Mrs. Corrado is deceased. Apparently she was brought in at ten p.m. on the eighteenth with blunt trauma following an automobile accident on Pacific Coast Highway just south of Huntington Beach.

Dr. Smith: Can you verify that this is the same woman I treated this spring with a respiratory illness?

Janet: Checking... Yes, it's the same woman, you saw her five eleven.

Dr. Smith: Is there any record of her son Adam?

Janet: I do not see anything coming up for that name.

Dr. Smith: Thank you, Janet.

Janet: Is there anything else, doctor?

Dr. Smith: No, that is all. Thank you.

--SpiritontheWater

(Erlenmeyer sits at a picnic table beneath the surf camp climbing tower. He is eating a tuna sandwich and a half eaten peanut butter sandwich sits on a second plate before him. Across the table he sees Kai, Cass and Tina, watching him with serious looks on their faces)

Erlenmeyer: To tell you the truth ladies, I honestly cannot say which I prefer. It's been awhile since I've had either.

(He gets up and walks across the field toward the Naval communications compound. He walks up to the chain link fence and closing his eyes he places his hand on the fence.)

Erlenmeyer: It's not as easy to cross the border as it used to be.

(He opens his eyes and sees John standing on the other side of the fence facing him)

John: See anything in that cantina worth staying for? Hear my Father's word. Renew my eligibility. Fucking chemist.

--SpiritontheWater

[At the café, Dwayne is watching the computer screen as Jerri continues to clean up.]

Jeri: I will be done in about 30 minutes then I will drive you over to the hotel.

[Suddenly, Dwayne lets out a gasp. Jerri walks over to computer and on it sees Meyer and Daphne having sex under the pier at the beach.]

Jerri: Oh my God! That's the Jew lawyer. Turn off the computer before that image gets frozen forever on the screen! [Dwayne doesn't move.] Turn off the computer now!

Dwayne starts shutting down the machine, but it isn't going fast enough for Jerri as the "Do You Really Want to Shut Down" dialog box appears.

Jerri: Yes, we really want to fuckin' shut down. It shouldn't ask us that in an emergency. I'm going to see the picture of them two having sex as I'm trying to go to sleep tonight. It's gonna give me nightmares.

Dwayne: It just appeared on the screen.

Jerri: Yeah? And you were sitting there watching it all. You, obviously, need some of the real thing. [She pulls her tank over the top of his head.] Feel those tits next to your sexy jug ears!

Dwayne: I just couldn't believe that a Jewish American Princess would be doing that in the sand.

Jerri: For God's sake Dwayne, not every single one of them is going to just lie there and think of Abercrombie's.

[She removes her tank top from Dwayne's head, just as one of John's terrorist-looking messages appears on the computer screen.]

John: The Internet is big. Ramon wants to know if Dwayne and Jerri are hungry in the courtyard.

Dwayne: I guess you were not getting to the hotel fast enough for him.

[They leave for the hotel.]

--Theshriek

(Moana walks down the gravel road toward the water just before sunset. He looks down and sees a syringe lying in the middle of the path and stops)

Moana: Dumb haole fucker, small kid could step on this garbage...no respect for Haumea.

(Moana finds a scrap of paper and carefully picks the syringe up with it, he carries it to the end of the trail and dumps it in the rusty trash can on which is stenciled the words "keep our beaches clean". Next to the trash can is a warning sign describing the contamination and prohibition for swimming)

Moana: Sign like this, small kid don't even know.

(He walks up on a grassy outcrop above the sand where he crouches down and stares at the water as the last light finds it way through the small cresting waves. The waves are brown and a sickening green where the light penetrates.)

Moana: Shit's not right. Wasn't you in the hospital when this shit got on me in Oahu, haole braddah saw to me there. You just wanted me back for stealin' from them houses. We go way back for what, (motions toward the dirty waves) this shit?

(He watches as the sun touches the horizon then gets up to leave, as he walks back up the path he listens to the repetitive sound of his gritty steps. He stops as he hears a coyote howl somewhere in the distance)

Moana: What I'm doin' here? Pupule Koa.

--SpiritontheWater

(Barry returns to the Snug Harbor and unloads grocery bags from his car. He watches the scene around Mitch, the crowd has grown and Bill is seen with his back to the tree arms outstretched keeping people back. He walks over to where Ramon is lighting the grill)

Barry: Mouths to feed Ramon, perhaps we should have considered a catering service.

Ramon: (gives Barry a sideways look) I got plenty of cousins who do that for me when I need them. I think we'll be ok for tonight. We got three batches of tamales in the fridge and they take no time to re-heat over the fire.

Barry:
Wonderful! (Reaching in one of the bags he produces a large bag of green chiles) The nicest man recommended these to me when I was speaking to him of your wonderful tamales. I thought you would know what to do with them.

Ramon: Ernesto. Those are local grown, better than you get in the big stores; thinner skin. We can throw those on the grill but you're gonna have to grate some cheese.

Barry: I will be more than happy to do that, Ramon. I bought the brick of Jack as you instructed. And Ramon, it may surprise you to know that I am well versed in cheese grating. I was once put to the task in the kitchen at the Turf Club in Pico Rivera as a young man. I was fortunate enough to have been befriended by the owner of that establishment. A most wonderful man who cared for me at a time...

Ramon: Do the whole thing, do you remember where I showed you the grater.

Barry:
I do and will be done in a jiffy. I will leave your other supplies here?

Ramon: Yes, thank you. (He reaches in the bag and pulls out one of the packages of fresh sausages which he proceeds to open and put on the grill.)

(Meyer Dickstein wanders over)

Meyer: It is truly a three ring circus now, Ramon, I am steeped in work suddenly. It seems we are besieged with enemies wanting to pull down our newly formed community of soldiers fighting the good fight.

Ramon: Tell me about it. My cousin left early today and says his boys ain't gonna work with reporters around. We'll be stuck in the mud if this continues.

Meyer: Did I mention the threat of Eminent Domain ?

Ramon: My people heard of that long time ago I think.

Meyer: Yes (he laughs) that's true Ramon, but they have their sights on the Snug Harbor Motel in particular this time. And that coupled with the doctor's troubles, (he pauses) I hope I'm not getting in over my head.

Ramon: Comin' at us from all sides. Barry's money should do some talking though, huh?

Meyer: Yes, well, it may. But it takes experience to deal with threats such as these, and I am only slightly experienced in medical suits, real estate disputes somewhat more. Perhaps I will need the assistance of an outside source.

Ramon: There's power in numbers.

(Barry returns with a large bag of grated cheese he holds up to Ramon with a proud smile)

Barry: There you are Ramon, ready for your experienced hand.

Ramon: (smiles back at Barry) Good job and quick too. It needs to go in the fridge so it doesn't get soft. The Salsa too, in the bag...let me take these in. One of you can turn those sausages and put another pack on.

(Ramon takes the bag of cheese from Barry and grabs one of the bags to take inside to the refrigerator. Barry and Meyer stand looking at the BBQ.)

Meyer: (Opens the lid and is hit in the face with the heat, he quickly pulls his head back) Oh my, that's hot!

Barry: (reaches in the bag and pulls out the remaining packs of sausages) I've wondered only recently if I shouldn't travel to some exotic location and undertake the ritual of walking across burning embers. Is that a silly notion, Meyer?

Meyer: A rite of passage, I don't think so. That it would be a silly idea I mean. I often considered my first surfing experience to be such a rite. There was a huge bonfire on the beach that night.

(Ramon returns and looks at Barry holding the packs of sausages, and Meyer who is standing in front of the open grill)

Ramon: What's happening, you guys in some other place right now? (He takes the packages from Barry and proceeds to open them and dump them out on the grill after which he turns the others and closes the lid.) Gotta keep the lid down at this stage or the coals will burn up too quick... We'll put the peppers on in a few minutes, then the Tamales last.

(All three stand staring out across the courtyard as if in a trance, the smoke swirls around them)

Barry: (blinking) A bonfire, what a beautiful image.

--SpiritontheWater

(Meyer walks back over to Daphne, who is standing where he left her, back near the edge of the crowd listening to the banter between Mitch and the reporters. Ramon and Barry turn their attention to the twenty year old Dr. Smith who emerges from his room to stand at the railing overlooking the courtyard)

Barry: I do not believe that I have seen that young man before Ramon, is he a new tenant?

Ramon: Never seen him. Must be a friend of the Doc's.

Dr. Smith:
(looks down at Barry and Ramon) Smells good!

(Barry and Ramon nod in acknowledgment)

Freddy: (hears the voice and looks up toward young Michael Smith) And that kid better be half smart too when comes time for patchin' people up around here.

--SpiritontheWater

Do no harm

Sven2

(Tina's car pulls into the Snug Harbor Motel. Cissy sits shotgun, and Jake and Linc sit in the back. They park next to Meyer's car and all get out.)

Cissy: (Walking over to Bill) Mitch's still up on the fuckin' cross I see.

Bill: The goddamn fire department pulled him down, but the second they turned their fuckin' backs, he was airborne again. Left me lookin' like an asshole. I tell ya, Cissy, I don't know how much more goddamn madness I can take.

Cissy: Fuckin' Linc just totaled my car. Good fuckin' riddance! That piece of shit deserved what it got. I hope Linc enjoys buyin' me a new fuckin' car.

Bill: Get yourself a goddam American car this time, huh.

(Tina and Linc walk hand-in-hand over to the pool to watch Shaun. Jake follows, feelin' out of place, until he spies a young woman in a bikini, and sits next her. When Shaun sees his mom, he jumps outta the pool and hops off his board)

Shaun: Hi mom. Hey Linc.

Linc: What's up my man?

Tina: (Giving Shaun a hug) How was the water today?

Shaun: Sick! ...Hey mom, you should see John skateboard: he was bustin' ollies, kickflips, and some wicked aerials.

Linc: Where's John? (He surveys the parking lot, but John is nowhere in sight. He spots Cass over by the shuffleboard court filming and approaches her, leaving Tina with Shaun) Hey, where is John?

Cass: If he's anywhere, he's everywhere.

Linc:
What?

Cass: He's around.

Linc: Okay...(rubs his forehead with his hand) What the hell are you filming?

Cass:
I'm working. What are you doing, Linc Stark? (She turns the camera on him)

Linc: Looking for John...Remember? Now, get that fuckin' thing outta my face. (He walks off and Cass follows, filming from a distance)

(Back at the surf camp, Erlenmeyer opens his eyes, surprised to find that it's grown dark. He gathers his things and gets into his "car".)

(At the Snug Harbor, Bill walks over to Freddy and Palaka, who've set up lawn chairs outside their room.)

Freddy: Palaka, run in there a grab that extra chair for the pig.

(Palaka gets up and goes inside.)

Bill: (sitting down in Palaka's now empty chair) Jesus Christ! (He shakes his fists at the sky) You shit-birds never fuckin' learn do ya? Disrespect The Job like that again, and you can count on a goddam beating, asshole.

(Freddy grins)

Palaka: (Returning with the chair, which he puts on the other side of Freddy and sits) The Mexican and the queer said the food was ready.

(Vietnam Joe's van drives down the street, in search of parking. Riding Shotgun, Magdalena is asleep. Joe finds a place to park before waking her.)

Joe: Lena? Wake up.

Magdalena: (waking) Oh, forgive me, I must have fallen asleep.

Joe: Listen, the Doc I was tellin' ya about is staying at this here motel. That bite on yer leg needs stitches and we better get some antibiotics in ya.

Magdalena: Thank you, Joe. (She reaches into her pocket, pulls out a wad of cash, and offers it to him)

Joe: You keep your goddam money. I'm just sorry we drove to San Diego for nuthin'.

Magdalena: I cannot let you go uncompensated, Joe. I am in your debt.

Joe: You just fuckin' hold on to that money, ya hear? We'll start lookin' again in the morning. (He gets outta the car, goes around to her side, and helps her down and they join the crowd. When they walk past Cissy, standing next to Tina and Shaun by the pool, Magdalena and she meet eyes. Recognizing each other, Cissy approaches)

Cissy: Hey, it's you. Small fuckin' world.

Magdalena: It's you! Do you still have my rosary beads?

Cissy: Sorry, I don't speak Mexican. But I put those fuckin' beads ya gave me in my car, which fuck-face over there just wrecked (she points to Linc)

(Joe repeats what Cissy said to Lena)

Cissy: I just fuckin' told her that, dumbass. She doesn't fuckin' understand.

Joe: (too exasperated to explain) Where's the goddam, Doc?

Cissy: Hell if I fuckin' know. Ain't seen him in days. (She shakes her head and walks over to the tree, scattering reporters in the process)

Cissy: Get the fuck outta my way. I need a word with Tarzan up there.

(Just then Barry walks to the middle of the area and rings a bell)

Barry: Attention! Attention, mi amigos! Dinner...is served. (He bows and backs away like the ringmaster at a circus. Everyone walks toward the grill except Cissy.)

Shaun: (Walking by, looks up at Mitch) Hey gramps!

(Mitch waves)

Cissy: (not quite yelling) Linc totaled the fuckin' Miata!

Mitch: How the hell did he manage that?

Cissy: With his fuckin' Navigator.

Mitch: (to himself) Fuckin' tacky gas-guzzlers! (He shouts) You said you wanted a new car...

Cissy: Yeah, a classic. Maybe a Stingray, or a Roadrunner.

(Erlenmeyer walks down the sidewalk to the motel. He quickly spots Cissy and Mitch at the top of the tree and goes to them)

Cissy: Where-the-fuck you been all fuckin' day, Chemist?

Erlenmeyer: I'm not sure...

Cissy: Don't you start waxin' all fuckin' high and mighty on me too, goddamit! I've got all the enlightenment I can handle with The Big-ass Kahuna up there.

Erlenmeyer: (waves at Mitch) What's the view from like up there, Mitch?

Mitch: Not too bad. My legs are fuckin' raw though.

(Barry, Meyer, and Ramon stand behind a table, filling plates with Tamale's and sausage & peppers. Another table is stocked with salsa, chilies, sour cream, and horchata. Dr. Smith spots Joe and Lena sitting on the curb, and upon noticing her wounds, he is suddenly his actual age again. He walks over, taps Joe on the shoulder, and tells him to bring her to his office so they can treat her wounds. They disappear for half and hour or so. When they return, they see people scattered across the lot, with Shaun skateboarding from person to person, delivering plates full of food. They find a place to sit, and are quickly served a glass of horchata then a plate of food. When everyone's mouths are full, they hear the rumble of an engine approaching...)

(The El Camino drives rolls into the Snug Harbor Parking lot, with Butchie and Kai inside, while John stands in the back, arms in the air, fingers pointing up. Music fills the parking lot (Hear) and swells. Butchie parks, and he and Kai get out and sit together on the grass. John, arms still raised, suddenly closes his eyes and falls down in the back, fast asleep.)

(Everyone continues eating, seemingly unaware of John's presence.)

John: (Now standing on the top of the car) The End is Here. (Inside the car, the stereo's volume increases until the crackling static fills the parking-lot and then stops)

Stereo: (Speaking in the voice of John's Father) Get off the goddam car, Country!

(John descends from the car, and walks through the crowd, all of them oblivious to him except Cass, who, walking over to the carousel horse, points her camera at John while he weaves among the 0's and 1's)

John: (touching Cass's heart) Show the other cameras, Cass. (He points to Emma Borden, devouring a sausage) Work there. (He walks over to Barry, touches his arm) A temple of Art will arise. (Gilbert Rawlins appears at Barry's feet) Mr. Rawlins gets an upgrade. (Moving to Ramon, taking his hand) Host a lunch, Ramon. These cook-outs become a fixture (He touches Meyer on the back) Improvise that communication. Earth needs to dump out. Stare down Frankenstein. (Then to Daphne, standing next to Meyer) Mother: Earth, Daphne-not-the-fair-weather-type. 'Shep naches.' (He walks to Jerri and Dwayne, who are sitting on the curb, and places a hand on each of their heads) Jerri warns Dwayne off talking about miracles. The Internet Cafe is juiced. We understand how Dwayne talks. Live green. (He walks past Palaka, Freddy, and Bill, all seated, poking the top of each of their bald heads as he goes.) Palaka stands guard. Freddy gets new keys. Bill keeps his eye-on. (John walks over to Joe and Magdalena, crouches behind them and puts an arm around each) See Joe, Magdalena. Joe is much improved. (John moves to Dr. Smith, sitting by Lena) Joe will deliver the hairlips to Dr. Smith. Dr. Smith is not a chameleon. (John walks over to Jake, puts a hand on his shoulder) Zeroes and goddamn one's is what to turn your talents to. Jakes' got a buttplug exploiting his portal. (He moves to Tina & Linc) Linc is El Camino. Linc spins my Father's words. (He takes Tina's hand and rests in on Linc's arm) Tina sees Cissy. Tina is adult about possessions. (He walks to Erlenmeyer, touches his arm) Show Mitch and Cissy. (He puts his arms around Cissy, hugging her; she doesn't acknowledge him) The Glue. (He looks up at Mitch, still in the tree) Mitch is up in the air. Mitch raises awareness. (As he says this, Mitch lets go of the tree, and slowly hovers back to the ground) Give Cissy a lift. (He touches Mitch and looks back at Cissy) Dry land's hard. (Finally, he walks to Kai and Butchie, seated. John extends his hands to them, they both take one, and he pulls them to their feet.) The beast is out of semi-retirement. Butchie shows Shaun. Mother of God, Cass-Kai! Kai will soon be gone. (John turns from them all and walks back to the Camino and sits, cross-legged on the hood.)

John: In My Father's word-to-come, not all towelheads will be eradicated. The 0's and 1's make an army from the Word. My Father's Word scares your balls-off. "The cards are no good that you're holding, unless they're from another world." My Father's Father listens to Our Father. In Cass' camera, Barry raises the black flag: the roaches hide. Butchie and Shaun dump-out Room F. Moana is Pupule Koa, he meets Coyote in the ring. Janet will find Adam. Adam drops in at the four. In Cass' camera, Emma sees The Word. In my father's word to come, the Planning Commission is not Linc's first Planning Commission. Exotic ingredients excite Daphne's tongue. Erlenmeyer prefers Tamales. Little Freddy prefers Teddy. Mitch sees "Susan." Cissy gives "Susan" a nut-nudge. Jake wipes-out Tina wipes-out Linc. I.B. is juiced. The monkey is off Butchie's back for good. No relapses. Butchie changes the game. Kai conquers the North Shore. Butchie keeps Kai's boards, every day. Butchie loves two women. "Everything stays down where it's wounded and comes to a permanent stop." In the word on the wall that hears my Father, HBO keeps the faith. HBO resurrects the Word. We are coming 9/11/14. We are the Signal's antennas. My father's birthday is the same day as mine. Hear the Word on the Wall.

*What appentency knows the flood,
What thirst, the sword?
What name
sustains the core of flame?
We are the blade,
but not the hand
by which the blade is swayed.
Time falls, but has no end.
Descend.

Shaun: (skates over to John) Cass shows John where to work. (Then over to Dr. Smith, once again twenty years old) The Doc stops Barry's bleeding. (He skates back over by John) The message is the thing.

(Just then the Car stereo starts crackling again)

Stereo: (in the voice of John's Father) Those who would lead by fear, lies, and hate are gathering forces. The seeds of the storm have already been fuckin' planted. A hard rain will fall unless the ocean speaks...**The message of the cross is foolishness to them who are perishing, but to those of us who are saved, it is the power of God...***The release of atomic power has changed everything except our way of thinking... the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind ...****We've begun to evolve inorganically as a species, through our technology, and, especially, our media. We'll hit an evolutionary dead end if the media model is wholly economic rather than spiritual. We won't be able to control our technology and will wind up killing ourselves...******Our tragedy today is a general and universal physical fear so long sustained by now that we can even bear it. There are no longer problems of the spirit. There is only one question: When will I be blown up?...[We] must [learn] that the basest of all things is to be afraid. Then forget it forever, leaving no room in [the] workshop for anything but the old verities and truths of the heart, the universal truths lacking which any story is ephemeral and doomed--love and honor and pity and pride and compassion and sacrifice. Until [we] do so, [we] labor under a curse....I decline to accept the end of man. It is easy enough to say that man is immortal because he will endure: that when the last ding-dong of doom has clanged and faded from the last worthless rock hanging tideless in the last red and dying evening, that even then there will still be one more sound: that of his puny inexhaustible voice, still talking. I refuse to accept this. I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance. The poet's, the writer's, [the surfer's] duty is to [tell] about these things. It is his privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart, by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past. The poet's voice need not merely be the record of man, it can be one of the props, the pillars to help him endure and prevail...

(The stereo abruptly shuts off; John disappears from the hood, and wakes up in the back. Everyone pauses for a few seconds, aware that something Big just happened, but unable to put their fingers on what.)

Reporter: Hey, Mitch Yost is on the ground.

Cissy: (Suddenly aware that Mitch is standing next to her) When the fuck did you climb down?

Mitch: (Realizing his feet are on the ground) I...I'm not sure.

John: Tomorrow is another day.

-FADE TO BLACK-

(Hear)

-----
*-Robert Penn Warren, from the poem 'History'
**-1 Corinthians 1:18
***-Einstein
****-David Milch
*****-From Faulkner's Nobel Prize acceptance speech

--Walkara

Do no harm

Sven2

Episode 12, His Visit, Day 11

Shaun shreds the pool, Barry and Ramon cook breakfast, Jerri and Dwayne discover a youtube video about the café, Butchie and Kai check out the Billabong tour map, Erlemeyer takes Mitch for a ride, Tina and Linc visit the dealership, Emma and Cass order espressos, Cissy and Meyer find Dr. Smith, Bill takes Zippy for a drive, Freddy goes to the beach with Moana, Joe checks his harvest, Palaka guards the Bar.

Written by: SpiritontheWater, Walkara, backinthegame and theshriek.

------------------------

Opening Sequence Click to Listen

(Shaun sneaks out of room F in the middle of the night taking his board out to the pool area. He flips the breaker for the lights and begins ripping up the pool. He skates in smooth arching curves around the entire pool smoothly clearing the light in the deep end. After several flawless circles he flies out and lands on the landing across the pool from the four. He sees Adam standing on the opposite side with the tail of his board directly over the four)

Adam: Mind if I drop in?

Shaun: Blow it up dude.

(Adam drops in carving around several times over the light following the same lines as Shaun, he pops back up over the edge and lands solidly beside Shaun)

Adam: A little tight. Makes me miss the pool that we used to get in on Palm, big like dogbowl, you could carve that shit all day.

Shaun: I'm Shaun

Adam: I'm Adam, you live here now?

Shaun: Staying with my dad, and John.

Adam: John Monad.

Shaun: You know John?

Adam: He's my friend.

Shaun:
You been to Cincinnati?

Adam:
Hell yeah I been to Cincinnati!

Shaun: (Looks across the parking lot at the El Camino) Wanna get wet?

Adam:
I'm gonna get fucking high!

(The El Camino is seen cruising north on the highway, Shaun is at the wheel and Adam is riding shot gun, a full quiver of gear is in the back).

- SpiritontheWater

------------------------

(Barry arrives at the motel before sunrise and walks around carrying Teddy in his arms. He walks through the bar and checks out the construction then goes out and walks around the pool area, he notices several stickmen crudely drawn around the light, illuminated, in the deep end of the pool and turns abruptly walking out of the pool area toward the office, he stops on the shuffleboard court.)

Barry:
Nine, eleven, fourteen, off. A rather random scoring system don't you think Teddy? A tragic date... Hmm... Young mister Yost is fourteen I believe...

(He steps off the course and heads toward the office, before reaching the door to knock he notices a series of numbers scrawled on the asphalt in front of the door. A piece of bbq charcoal lies at the end of the string, he knocks at the door and after a few minutes, and several repeated attempts, Ramon opens the door)

Barry: I dreamed we were serving breakfast Ramon, for soldiers and others working here. I saw a large family gathering, everyone eagerly ttending; "Tomorrow's another day", a banner strung across the driveway read. Some sort of momentous occasion it seemed to me in waking. I wonder now though what might have appeared on that morning's plate Ramon?

Ramon: (rubbing his eyes and scratching his head) More like El Dia De Los Muertos. I dreamt people were piled up as high as I could see... But if you're talking breakfast today, then there'll be hangovers involved... calls for a few special ingredients. I do Chorizo and eggs with green chiles and cheese... I can do 'em omelets.

Barry: Wonderful! A meal that soothes the frightened mind, healing and nourishing at once... I've always enjoyed a spicy Bloody Mary following those times when I have danced with friends too late in the night and opened one too many bottles of bubbly... Mimosa's?

Ramon:
My cousin likes to have a Coors Light with his.

- SpiritontheWater

------------------------
Do no harm

Sven2

-----------------------

(Shaun and Adam crane their necks looking for the entrance to an isolated parking lot just off the highway)

Adam: (suddenly gesturing at a point past Shaun's nose) Is that it?

Shaun:
(Jerks his head to the left and the steering wheel with it) Oh shit!

(The El Camino lurches toward the entrance as Shaun hits the gas instead of the brake, they narrowly miss a post marking the access and Shaun over corrects fishtailing the El Camino in the other direction, he cranks the wheel the other way and eventually straightens it out as he slams on the brakes coming to a complete stop. He slowly rolls the car forward into one of the stalls facing the ocean)

Adam: Fuckin A dude that was awesome, where'd you learn to drive like that?

Shaun: Uuh, I guess by watchin' my dad...(Shaun pauses and takes a deep breath) Who'd a killed me if I'd hit that sign back there. This is my sponsor's car.

Adam: Which sponsor?

Shaun: Linc Stark, Stinkweed.

Adam: You said the magic word, my good man (Adam takes his hat off and pulls out a crumpled up joint tucked in the band and hold it up) Always lite before a flight!

Shaun: I gotta lighter (He pulls out a bic lighter from his pocket and hands it to Adam who lights up and hands it to Shaun, Shaun takes a long toke and hands it back to Adam)

Adam:
(Pointing to the surf still just visible by moonlight) Check it out, looks like some fat guy got here before us.

Shaun:
(barely seeing the outline of a man) He looks like he knows what he's doing though. Too fat to be my gramps, had me scared for a second there. We better get out there so we can get a couple sets in before we have to head back. I'd better have this car back before Linc comes looking for it, or my ass is grass.

Adam:
The magic word (He smiles and hands Shaun the joint again)

(Shaun takes another toke and both boys burst out laughing. They open the doors and smoke billows from the car. They get out still laughing and look at each other over the top.)

Adam: Cincinnati bro.

Shaun: They had some good ones.

(Both boys turn suddenly, looking like they've come to attention as they notice someone approaching the car)

Car Salesman: Never too early to lite the fires and kick the tires eh boys? (The man is carrying a surfboard and wetsuit; he's wearing red board shorts and a Hawaiian shirt) Now unless I'm wrong and you guys aren't the two 25 cars gone back twenty years I'd say you don't exactly have the pink slip to that rocket ship you just got a little thrill in and out of. And I'd be further sure as frat boys watch donkey sex that if you had creamed that sign upon approach here that once that incense you just blessed that interior with hit the olfactories of the true holder of that pink slip, along with him noticing the scratches and dents and not to mention the flat spot you left on that tire there, that you'd be in one big bag of shit. Wouldn't I be right there?

Shaun: We were planning on having it back before anyone woke up.

Car Salesman:
Hoping for that to be true and now hoping that tire doesn't get looked at too close. I'd advise we take this cherry oldie you wanna be ready for back right to the spot you climbed in it at before the moon there sticks his thermos in his lunch box and makes ready for the shift change.

Shaun:
But we were going to go surfing.

Adam: We got plenty of time and we don't need anyone's help.

Car Salesman: I just rode the last of those waves boys, look for yourself, she's closed out for the day, (staring at Adam) and as for people needing help and shoulders to bear those crosses well that might be a conversation we have at another time, 'cause from the look of you, you ain't feeling too well... Hell do you boys even know where you are?

Shaun: Uuh California? (Both boys laugh)

Car Salesman: Ha ha and we'd all be in a place starting with a C if it weren't for the work that needs doin'. Boys, you're at Walkara bluff, a name twisted into Walker point by some cocksucker not knowin' his dick from his earlobe, but you won't find it on any map nowadays and any public record's probably been lost in the big one. No boys, only a few have the privilege I'm passing on to you of knowing the turf their playing on. At one time that bluff behind you there was standing room only for a heard of the finest ponies a man could ever be so blessed by the almighty to lay his eyes upon. And don't you go on buying onto that crap about the chief being a thief of them horses cause they were his property the moment their eyes met. Never have two creatures wanting freedom as much found a bond so eve and the apple meant to be. 1840 there abouts, Chief Walkara would gather up those ponies from where ever he could find 'em, and it was a sight to behold, I'll tell ya. If there was ever a wave that ran on dry land it was that chief on the back of a pony riding like the wind with a gang of followers trailing for a mile behind him... Course it all went downhill after that. The bottle got him, then them damn pioneers... That's why ya gotta ride wild while ya can boys...

(The car salesman stops and looks at the boys who are staring out toward the surf now flat)

Car Salesman: Aw hell, You don't care about that old Indian do you? Never mind he could a been any one of your fathers fathers father..s father.. What do you say we fire er up and I'll show ya what she can do? Have ya home wrestlin' yer rattlesnakes in no time. (The boys look at each other disappointed) Oh hell get in. Tomorrow's another day. Haven't you heard?

(Shaun hands him the keys and he hops in in front of the car salesman, Adam stuffs the roach back in his hat and get's in the other side)

Car Salesman: (laughs) Wasn't two days ago I was sitin' here feeling like takin her for a spin. Buckle up boys, we're gonna race the moon!

- SpiritontheWater

------------------------

(Ramon begins rubbing his head, and he backs up to let Barry in.)

Ramon: I need some coffee real bad. (He walks over and grabs the coffee pot from the auto drip machine.)

Barry:
And you will be surprised without doubt Ramon, to learn that I am not one only in the habit of being served in highly decorated establishments where maitre d' hush the waiters who rudely clatter dishes during ones morning repast, but I, are you ready for this Ramon? I, do waffles! And I am quite good at them if I don't say so myself!

Ramon: (Stands with the pot in his hand staring blankly at Barry.) You threw me with that one, I'd a never thought it.

Barry: Yes, and I have brought four of my favorite waffle irons with me this morning, searching boxes at four am to find them. I have a rather large collection; a rather casual week on e-bay I must admit, but during which time I managed to gather a rather impressive history of these fascinating devices. Not all usable of course, but intriguing and valuable I think... I'll bring them in.

(Barry goes out to the car. Ramon fills the pot with water and fills the back of the coffee maker, then he dumps a pre-measured bag of Folgers in the filter and hits the switch.)

Ramon: (Staring at the coffee pot as it sputters to life.) Barry's climbing pretty high.

Barry: (Returns to the door with four chrome plated waffle irons in his arms and bag in his hand) Take this bag Ramon, wonderful syrups and my own special batter mix. Oh, I should have asked, do you like waffles Ramon?

Ramon: I like them. They'll work with omelets.

Barry:
Wonderful. Where shall I plug these in?

(Ramon follows Barry into the kitchenette placing the bag up on the counter)

Ramon:
That four way over here, that way when it blows we can put it out in one place.

(Barry goes about setting up in the kitchenette for his waffle prep. Ramon returns to the front and pours a cup of coffee while the machine is still brewing. He walks out and stands in front of the office looking out across the courtyard. He looks down and notices the numbers in charcoal at his feet and then looks up and sees several door lights illuminated at several rooms on the upper floor. He notices the lights in the pool area are on as well.)

Ramon: Some guests having their way without checkin' in first,looks like.

- SpiritontheWater

-----------------------

(The car salesman takes the El Camino up to eighty five on the laststretch of straight road heading toward IB. The boys are all smiles. The first traffic lights of IB come into view)

Car Salesman:
(Takes his foot off the gas and begins to slow the El Camino down) Ha! Beat ya, ya grinnin' goblin. Feels like she needs a bushing or two in that idler arm though... now don't you boys go getting any fast ideas about you're being ready to spew that much Co2 on this delicate landscape. I only do it to make a point, and the wildlife does not appreciate my point, that the moon will match you mile for mile until you take your eyes off her and stare straight into the light of that blow torch that's about to come to work.

(They slow down and approach the first red light which is still blinking)

Adam: Damn dude! That was awesome.

Car Salesman: Glad you enjoyed the flight, but you might wanna modify that slogan of yours, running bear, it's lite before fight; the way you been saving your scalp these past couple of months.

(Adam looks surprised at the car salesman's comment and when the car comes to a complete stop he opens the door and steps out on to the street)

Adam: Later dude, it was a rush.

Shaun:
(Lifting his arm he pounds fists with Adam.) Where you going?

(Adam doesn't answer and turns and crosses the street toward the beach)

Car Salesman: Let him go, that boy's got more chasing him than OJ riding his bronco. He's a fox though. He'll jump a few more fences before the dogs get to him. Now let's let this stallion cool and get you back to the shady shack.

(Shaun sits quiet as they pull up to the Snug Harbor Motel. The car salesman turns off the lights and shuts off the engine as they roll up in to the parking lot. He stops in the same place Linc parked it the night before. Shaun opens the door and steps out)

Shaun: Thanks for the ride mister.

Car Salesman: Don't thank me, thank your lucky stars and the moon for shining, you'd be trading that surfboard in for a canoe up shit creek if it weren't for the pull of that mother's weight.

(Shaun pulls their gear out of the back and sets it in the bushes along side the driveway. Ramon watches from out front of the office.)

Ramon: That boy's takin' his life in his hands now.

- SpiritontheWater

------------------------

(Moana sits on the bluff as the sky lightens, he flashes on a lava flow he lived near as a boy, he remembers the low rumble on a morning when a large fissure broke open. As the sun breaks the horizon he gets up to walk back into town.)

Moana: Mother Moon, you pullin' Moana's heart again.

- SpiritontheWater

------------------------
Do no harm

Sven2

(Ramon walks back inside and hears Barry merrily singing "favorite things" to himself. He hands him a cup of coffee.)

Ramon: I'd slow down a bit if I were you, I don't think we should be thinking early bird special.

Barry: The early bird gets the worm Ramon!

Ramon: (Steps around Barry and looks back into his living room, he sees four or five workers in addition to his cousin passed out on the sofa, recliner and floor in various twisted positions.) I think were talkin' the one in the tequila.

Barry:
(smiles) I see. Brunch then! Lovely! We can adapt can we not Ramon? Is that not why the winged ones yet fly?

Ramon: (Walks back to the front office for another cup of coffee.) Maybe they were just smart enough to keep off the ground.

- SpiritontheWater

------------------------

(Shaun creeps in the apartment and hurriedly lies down and covers himself up on the futon Cissy threw in on the floor for him the daybefore. He lies on his back and looks up at the stained ceiling, he looks around and sees the gritty walls and his dads dirty laundry).

Shaun: This place looks like shit... Chief Miracle Boy said shit!...

(Out of the corner of his eye he sees a dark black bug crawling on floor beside him, grabbing one of his dad's shoes he smashes it.)

Shaun: Fuckin' Bitch! (He looks over and sees John awake and staring at him smiling)

John: Fuckin' Bitch Shaun! Life in his hands!

Shaun: (lies back with his hands behind his head.) Thank your lucky stars.

John:
I do thank my lucky stars! Mother's weight!

Shaun:
(closes his eyes) Peanut butter butter, John.

- SpiritontheWater

------------------------

(The phone rings in the office and Ramon answers)

Ramon: We're closed (person on the other end asks for Barry) just a second...

(Ramon hands the phone to Barry shrugging his shoulders)

Ramon: First call on the new phone since Butchie smashed the old one. It's for you.

Barry: (takes the phone) Good morning?

Sam Hostetler:
Good morning Mr. Cunningham. This is Sam Hostetler from Hostetler manufacturing and steel supply? I have good news for you. Hope I'm not callin' too early but we get started before daylight around here.

Barry: Splendid, good news before sun up is like the crying gull at waters edge.

Sam Hostetler:
Yeah, well, I'm calling to let you know I just happen to have a flagpole ready to go for ya, a thirty-five footer just like you thought you might need.

Barry: (drops the oven mitts and potholders he's holding) Wonderful!... I am in awe that such could be wrought from the fire with such glorious speed!

Sam Hostetler:
Well, it just happens we came across one sitting in the yard. It's not too pretty to look at as she lays but it's one we ended up getting dumped back on us after some city counsel woman managed to get it taken down out front of IB elementary last year. Seems some parent complained that flying the flag was discriminatory and unconstitutional. The school board had gone out on a limb having it made so they tore it down right away to keep from having to pay for the legal trouble of keeping it up. I'll let you have it for a song plus labor Mr. Cunningham and I can have it up soon as a hole's dug and reinforced.

Barry: I'm seeing stars Mr. Hostetler. The idea of seeing our flag waving proudly over these premises.. I'm giddy with joy.

(Ramon interrupts overhearing the conversation)

Ramon: Used to be a huge flagpole in the driveway, holes covered up. Probably still good.

Barry: Mr. Hostetler... I've just been informed by my business partner that there used to be a flagpole on these premises and that the foundation may be still existent!

Sam Hostetler: Well that would save us some time if it's big enough to handle it. I could come out and look at it this morning if you got the time.

Barry: We do have the time, and would be more than happy to see you and show you around our newly claimed refuge.

Sam Hostetler: I could be there in an hour, I'll just need to take some measurements and talk to my foreman who's due in any minute now.

Barry: It's a date Mr. Hostetler. I look forward to a most wonderful experience. I would invite you too for brunch, the preparation of which is already underway and eager to be served before noon, your man would be welcome too of course?

Sam Hostetler: Lemme get a look at what we got and we'll go from there?

Barry:
Very fine sir. We await your arrival on this shore. Until then.

Sam Hostetler:
OK, see you in a bit then.

(Barry hangs up and gives the receiver back to Ramon)

Barry: We may now claim our land Ramon. Even today perhaps. And a flag beneath the stars and stripes? One of our own? Do we declare an independence in doing so, our little theater?

- SpiritontheWater

---------------------------

(Magdalena wakes in Joe's tent, on his cot. Joe is sleeping in an army issue sleeping bag on the ground beneath her. She slips from under the covers and walks outside, just as day breaks over the horizon. When the light hits her, she feels a surge up her spine. 'Datura,' she remembers. Shuddering with a strange intensity, she takes a deep breath of morning, savoring the sense of hope that always seems to fade by afternoon. She surveys Joe's plants, a little uneasy about the sheer volume of them. Upon closer inspection, she notes the pungency and color. 'Una cosecha fina,' she muses. The smell reminds her of her grandfather. Her eyes glaze at the thought of him, so dearly had she loved him: his stories, his visions, his heart, always quoting Casteneda: "un guerrero debe tener siempre presente que una trayectoria es solamente una trayectoria; si él se siente que él no debe seguirla, él no debe permanecer con ella bajo ninguna condiciones. Su decisión a guardar en esa trayectoria o para dejarla debe estar libre de miedo o de la ambición. Él debe mirar cada trayectoria de cerca y deliberadamente. Hay una pregunta que un guerrero tiene que hacer: 'Hace esta trayectoria tienen un corazón?'",* he whispered those words, one of his many mantras, in her ear when she was a child. And when she grew older, he introduced her to 'El Cacto Divino' and 'Humito'. He showed her the multi-verse and taught her how to project her spirit from a trance. He died several years after she crossed the border in search of work to support her mother and sister's children. She thought of all this and let her heart swell, bittersweetly. 'Me vuelven para encontrar a mi hijo,' though she was unsure whether they were even in America at the moment, considering Joe's camp was somewhere way off Monument Road, in the gray area between Border Field State Park and Mexico.)

Joe: (suddenly appearing behind her) Whaddaya think 'bout them purdy buds. (He nods at his crop, and smiles like a new father)

Magdalena: (startled, she jumps) Jesus Christ! Joe you scared me! Please don't ever sneak up on me again. (She puts her hand on his chest, and smiles, amused by herself.)

Joe: Sorry 'bout that Mags. (Turning his attention back to the plants) I'd say we're ready to harvest.

Magdalena: Yes. Today is the day.

Joe: Shit! I gotta run to town and get some fuckin' supplies. You wanna come?

Magdalena: No. I will stay here. I will start to manicure the crops and hang them to dry. This will take all day, if not two days, But we must act quickly, while the buds are at their peak.

Joe: Believe it or fuckin' not, I got some goddam experience at this too, Mags. Been growing my own plants since Nixon was in Office.

Magdalena: Of course, Joe. You better get going if we're gonna make a dent in this. Could you bring me back some supplies from the market also

(Joe nods. She tells him what she needs, and he nods again. Unconvinced that he'll remember, she sends him to find a pen and piece of paper so she can make a list. After a few minutes, Joe finds a pencil and a receipt. After she writes a few items down, she takes a fifty-dollar bill from the wad in her pocket, folds it in the receipt and hands it to Joe. He smiles at her and takes his leave.)

Magdalena: Joe! Remember to ask your friend about my son.

Joe: (getting in the van, he turns around) That's my first stop, Mags.

- Walkara

-----------------------

(Mitch & the chemist are standing outside Mitch's sanctuary clasping coffee mugs; neither is drinking. Erlemeyer is staring idly at the elephant cage.)

Erlemeyer: It's time

Mitch: For what?

Erlemeyer: Shaun had a flashback

Mitch: What?

Erlemeyer: After all this time you can't accept that there are things outside of your control?

Mitch: What? We have to get over there.

Erlemeyer: You have to get over there. (He produces his keys from his pocket and heads down the stairs.) I'll drive

Mitch: Whatever

(They cross the skate-ramp and climb in the car; after turning over for what seems like an eternity the car starts. Erlemeyer does a u-turn)

Mitch: Where the hell are we going? Butchie's shit hole is that way (He points behind him.)

Erlemeyer: Do you think that matters?

Mitch: Hell yes it matters!

Erlemeyer: Do you have to know where you're going to know where you've been?

Mitch: What's that supposed to mean?

Erlemeyer: Have you ever asked yourself what makes you special?

Mitch: Well, I guess... up in the air. (He twirls his hand above his head)

Erlemeyer: (grunts)

Mitch: Well what then?

Erlemeyer: Shaun is special

Mitch: Then why are we going this way?

Erlemeyer: We're going to see Joe.

Mitch: Who is Joe?

Erlemeyer: Joe is another one left behind.

Mitch: Are you high, or have you been talking to John?

Erlemeyer: I dreamed last night. Shaun has a flashback; Vietnam Joe must let go.

Mitch: And what does this have to do with me?

Erlemeyer: Should we not wonder why those in pain look for answers in their past and not their present? Do we not see that those blind to the present destroy our future?

Mitch: And I'm blind to the present?

Erlemeyer: No, you will shield Shaun's eyes from the past.

- backinthegame
Do no harm

Sven2

Cass stands outside the café waiting for Emma. Dwayne is at his usual spot, and he is looking at the traffic statistics for YostClan.com.

Jerri: [Indicating Cass] Do you think that Blondie is gonna grace us with her presence or is she just going to stand out there all the fuckin' day.

Dwayne: I saw her filming at the hotel last night.

Emma arrives, and she and Cass enter the Café. They walk to the counter to place their order.

Cass: It is so hot right now. Can you make me an Espresso Spritzer? (Still facing his computer, Dwayne cringes because he knows that Jerri isn't going to like a special order.)

Jerri: An Espresso Spritzer? What the fuck is an Espresso Spritzer? Jerri gets a crazy Trixie look on her face, and Cass starts to look concerned for her own personal safety.

Emma:
Jerri we will have two double lattes.

Jerri: That is more like it. (She starts making the espressos. Cass silently mouths a "Thank you" to Emma.)

Emma: I was surprised when you told me that you wanted to meet here. This place doesn't usually draw in a lot of tourists.

Cass:
I haven't been here before, but when I saw the youtube video about the place last night (Both Dwayne and Jerri look at Cass in shock.) I thought we could meet here.

Jerri:
(to Cass) The harelip didn't tell me he made a video.

Dwayne:
I didn't. (Goes to the computer and quickly does a search for the café on YouTube. He immediately finds a video and clicks on it. The front of the café is shown and then the video moves inside the café where you see the Car Salesman.)

Jerri: What the fuck? Who the fuck is that?

- theshriek

-------------------------

(Sam Hostetler arrives at the Snug Harbor Motel to inspect the site for the flagpole, he pulls up in an old green utility truck layered with equipment and supplies in various states of deterioration. Upon seeing the truck, Ramon calls to Barry who is in the kitchen)

Ramon: I think your guy's here.

Barry: Dr. Smith?

Ramon:
The flagpole guy. Starts his work day early.

(Barry comes out into the office and proceeds out to the courtyard. Ramon follows. Sam gets out of his truck and walks toward them. Ramon picks up a shovel off the grass)

Barry: (Smiling) Mr. Hostetler I presume?

Sam:
That I am sir. (He puts out his hand)

Barry: (Shaking his hand) It is very nice to meet you Sir, I am so excited that this momentous occasion has come up on me so much sooner than I had anticipated. That you actually had a flagpole meeting our needs is to me nothing less than a miracle. One among many manifesting themselves around here lately.

Sam: Some things have a way of working themselves to good.

Ramon: (Standing a few feet from them.) There are holes over here, were there used to be a pole.

(Ramon scrapes with the shovel, around the covers of two cement utility boxes inset in the ground in the courtyard. Mr. Hostetler grabs a couple of tools from the side of his truck)

Barry: I did not imagine, Ramon, that beneath our very feet, lay the very support and foundation, waiting for this moment in time.

Ramon:
Like buried treasure. Probably lots of stuff buried around here.

Sam:
(Walking over to them, he takes one of the tools and with some effort pries off the covers of the two boxes.) Well, lets have a look see...(Peering down into the larger of the two spaces he sees a large round cover with an H in weld bead on top) Well I'll be, what do you know about that? Looks like my pop was here before me, he's the one sure as we're standing here, screwed this cap on this shaft, and it's a big one too. We might have to sleeve it.

Ramon: (Looking at the cover.) That your pops signature, huh?

Sam: Yes it is, he would have turned that cap at the shop. Took pride in his work no matter if it ended up buried or not. God rest his soul.

Ramon: (Crosses himself) Amen.

Barry: God rest his soul. Yes. (Slowly shaking his head.) Another strange connection bordering on the miraculous, is it not? That after so many years, our Mr. Hostetler should arrive here at the Snug Harbor, and be greeted so unexpectedly by this enduring mark, wrought by the very hand of his father. Extraordinary.

Sam:
Yeah well, 'ol dad was a pretty busy guy back in the day. I see 'em every now and then. Always makes me smile. (He bends down and takes a measurement.) Gonna be pretty close. (He uses and other tool and struggles to crack the cap loose, then he unscrews it an removes it. After doing so he drops a weighted line down the open shaft to measure it's depth.) She's gonna work just fine Mr. Cunningham, all we'll need is to weld maybe... three... rings, for the width, and our boy'll slide right in her.

Barry: I am breathless, gentlemen. The vision has my head spinning.

Ramon: The other box is electrical?

Sam: Yep. Probably had a flood light here somewhere. (He screws the cap back on loosely and drags the covers back over the boxes.) Well, sir, let me get back to work on this and I'll give you a call this afternoon. (He shakes hands with Barry and then with Ramon.)

Barry: Thank you Mr. Hostetler, I am excited beyond words now.(He shakes his head.) Don't forget our invite to brunch, if you are able to take a break?

Sam: We'll see about that, right now I'd better check my boys, had 'em start buffing that pole this morning having a good feeling that this was gonna work, who knows what they might have got to polishin'now. We'll see ya later. (He gets in his truck and starts it up.)

(Barry and Ramon return to the office)

Barry: (Snickers.) Polishing poles.

Ramon: (raises an eyebrow.)
You gotta flag you gonna fly?

Barry: I do, in mind, Ramon.

- SpiritontheWater

(Barry leaves Ramon halfway back to the office and turns toward the Bar)

Barry: Excuse me Ramon, I will rejoin you in a bit.

(Ramon returns to the office and Barry enters the bar. He walks over to the covered pool table, he sees the eleven ball just obscured beneath the plastic)

Barry: Eleven ball, center pocket.

(Barry walks over and stands beneath the header of stickmen over the bar, he looks up at them)

Barry: A community... Friends...Romans... (He snickers)

(Barry turns back and looks to the corner where the stage has been built, walking over he climbs the set of stairs and walks out center stage, he looks down and sees faces, rapt, looking to him as if yearning for a word of hope. He sees Butchie and Kai, Cissy and Mitch, Dr. Smith and Cass, Tina and Luke, Freddy and Palaka, Moana, Erlemeyer, Joe, Meyer and Daphne, Jerri and Dwayne, then Shaun, leaning back to the bar smiling, and Adam, sitting on a stool next to him. Ramon is wiping up behind the bar. And in the shadows, standing, there are several others, unrecognizable)

Barry: (Throwing his arms out in a welcoming gesture) I am...

(The bright light and sudden noise draws Barry's attention as the door to the bar opens. Barry looks over and sees the Car Salesman standing just inside)

Car Salesman: Sorry to disturb a rehearsal, if that's what I'm doing, but I'm looking for a Mr. Cunningham, told by the manager he'd be in here.

Barry: (Looks back at the bar and sees now only empty seats and the disarray of equipment and supplies, he shakes his head and lets his arms drop to his sides) I am he whom you seek...

- SpiritontheWater

(Freddy is tossing in bed. Palaka can hear him talking in his sleep from the other room)

Freddy: I give you those fucking keys...but we're not fucking gone.... I got outta that volcano once and I'm not planning on....

Palaka: (staring up at the ceiling) You're not gone boss... have your dream now...

(In Butchie's room, John stares at Shaun as he awakens)

John: We're not fucking gone...my father opens the door and lets the light in... Three rings and our boy'll slide right in her!...

Shaun: I was gone, John.

John: I need some coffee real bad, Shaun.

Shaun: I want some peanut butter waffles.

- SpiritontheWater

----------------------------

Car Salesman:
Not here to crucify you, no sir, that's already been done once. Instead I got a proposition for ya since I heard you were lookin to transform tawdry assignations into upliftments and performing other evanescences of the like.

Barry: (walks down from the stage and approaches the Car Salesman hand out stretched) Very pleased to meet you, are you a patron of the arts?

Car Salesman: It's been said. Thing is I got a friend of mine you just might enjoy talkin' to. Indian fellow hangs out on the beaches hear abouts. Got a knack for theater; storytelling and the like. Seems he's got a thought of directing a little play of his own and, well, when I put two and two together I had a thought this might just be the place he could get his big break so to speak.

Barry: (beaming) Are you an answer to my prayers? I was awake last night, rummaging, and the thought did occur to me that we would need a writer and director and others of course to enlighten this darkened room!

Car Salesman:
Well the cast of characters I am sure you've got already at hand, so if I send him by you wouldn't be frightened of a sort such that looks like he just crawled out from under a rock, beach living being what it is?

Barry: I am not put off by outcasts nor wanderers. Rather, it has been my experience that the dispossessed walk often beneath the shadow of God's hand and possess gifts rarely seen of, and a compassion and passion for living few men attain in even the most blessed of lives.

Car Salesman: (Puts his hand out and shakes hands again with Barry) Great! I'll send him your way then. That is if I can find him. Hard to spot him unless he's dancing around a bonfire somewhere.

(The Car Salesman leaves and Barry, giddy, turns out the light and runs quickly back to the office)

- SpiritontheWater

----------------------------
Do no harm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk