News:

Visit the main JohnFromCincinnati.net site for archived material and more ;)

Main Menu

Save JFC Google Ads

Started by SaveJFC Admin, December 05, 2007, 07:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaveJFC Admin

Post subject: Save JFC Google Ads
Posted: 18 Nov 2007, 11:33
Author: MacGhil

Monadistas,

I have had a few Google ads running since Oct. 27. As of today, they have generated 353 hits to the SaveJFC site, at a cost of $110.00.

IMO, it is definitely worth continuing. I was happy to do the trial run myself, but I really need some help paying for it at this point.

Are there any who are willing to donate to this particular effort? (Trishah and I have talked and she said she would be willing to put up a paypal donation button for it on the SaveJFC site.)

Just in case you haven't seen them, they read:

Save John From Cincinnati
HBO's Captivating Surf Noir Series
~ ~ ~ Join the Revolution ~ ~ ~
johnfromcincinnati.net

Save John From Cincinnati
HBO's Innovative Surf Noir Series
~ ~ ~ Catch the Wave ~ ~ ~
johnfromcincinnati.net

Please, if you come across the ads in your searches, do not click on them. The clicks are costing about .30/click.

(Cross-posted on the HBO-JFC boards.)
Work here, Cass.

SaveJFC Admin

The following are the replies to this topic from our original forum ~Admin

Post subject: Save JFC Google Ads
Posted: 18 Nov 2007, 16:00

HBO removed my "Google Ads" post on the HBO-JFC boards. ;P So, it's no longer cross-posted.

Post subject: Re: Save JFC Google Ads
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 16:56
Author: MargieZ

Thanks, for your efforts. Those numbers are encouraging. Since the last episode was played on HBO Sat. nite I wonder if they will put JFC back ON DEMAND !

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 18:46

We can only hope! Why they took it off On Demand is beyond me. But then again, why they canceled JFC before they even gave it a decent chance is also beyond me!

I have to add, we only need 15-20 people to donate $10.00/month for the Google Ads to continue.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 19:10
Author: fanofjohn7
MargieZ wrote:

Thanks, for your efforts. Those numbers are encouraging. Since the last episode was played on HBO Sat. nite I wonder if they will put JFC back ON DEMAND !

That was my hope MargieZ, it's not there yet. I just don't understand the reasoning of not allowing folks who may want to give it a try if it was listed there since shows that have been long ended are still there OD. It's like they want to forget it ever existed. I also thought that they might try to make some $$ by releasing a DVD set for the holidays but I don't see it happening. Why is HBO so reluctant to acknowledge this show???

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 20:32
Author: SaveJFC

I just reposted McGhil's post on HBO Our New Efforts thread. Let see how long it lasts. I don't understand why they would take it off the thread.

As for why HBO doesn't put it OnDemand... I think that is complicated but the bottom line may be that they wanted another "The Sorpranos" and JFC didn't fit their expectation. That along with the price tag and management changes and whatever cost/benefit/market-share calculations they use and well... we know the outcome.

Given all that, I don't think the DVD will be coming out soon because if the sales of DVD's are good then they will feel pressured to reconsider. They will most likely wait to release it until they think it's too late to revive.

Maybe ChatAngel has a point about it being time to bombard them with stuff to get JFC back OnDemand and on DVD.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 21:18
Author: chatangel

Hi,

For some odd reason I feel HBO is trying to distance themselves entirely from anything John From Cincinnati.

After reading the article on Austin Nichols I was wondering is it possible Milch bought the rights to JFC, and plans to
market them elsewhere? Just my thought and or idea!

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 22:04
Author: fanofjohn7

Quotewrote:
Hi,

For some odd reason I feel HBO is trying to distance themselves entirely from anything John From Cincinnati.

After reading the article on Austin Nichols I was wondering is it possible Milch bought the rights to JFC, and plans to
market them elsewhere? Just my thought and or idea!

I think you may be right, my thought has always been is that when the contract wih HBO runs out with Milch, he will go elsewhere. Good point about Milch having the 'rights', maybe hbo can't put it OD, maybe Milch holds the cards now..and that's the way it should be. Could it be possible that directing pleas to HBO is the wrong place to go but maybe to direct them to Milch only?
What is your thought on this Save?

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 14:44
Author: raymcd19

Wake up HBO!! Get JFC back on the air soon!!

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 16:06
Author: Talisyn

Quotechatangel wrote:
Hi,

Which makes me livid. Now the Curb is over for the season, Maher is off on hiatus and HBO aired its last episode of JFC (on one of their secondary channels) on Saturday, I'm canceling.
It's hard for me to believe that our ads in both HR and Vairety didn't come to their attention, and while there was that one kind of vague letter, I don't feel that they made any true effort to explain to JFCs many fans why they weren't going forward with the show. It's not that I'm giving up on any effort (here) to reach out to them, I'm just not giving them any more of my subscription dollars.
Tali....still depressed over the fact that John is gone from all HBO schedules

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 19:00
dangrsmind

HBO is removing these postings because they are solicitations for money most likely. That's one of things they don't allow for somewhat obvious reasons, and they seem to be fairly strict about it.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 22:45
Author: lc312

After reading the article on Austin Nichols I was wondering is it possible Milch bought the rights to JFC, and plans to market them elsewhere? Just my thought and or idea!

i was thinking (hoping) the same thing when i reqad the article.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 04:51

What do I think...

I don't know how the writers strike actually effects writing... My instinct says that Milch-the-writer won't stop his work on his current project with HBO even if what he writes can't be shot until the strike is over. Though depending on how long it goes... who knows.

Would HBO give up the rights to JFC to Milch? I heard someone say on TV recently that the movie industry has always been about money, first and foremost, from day one. So if HBO thinks that making more JFC will make them money then they will structure the agreement with Milch so that they will make money... Whether that's selling the rights to Milch outright or to another studio or producing it themselves with more restrictions on Milch's spending.

appliedpsych (on HBO boards) already wrote Milch a letter http://johnfromcincinnati.net/to_milch.html asking him if he was interested in continuing the story but there has been no reply. However, the comments by Austin Nichols http://www.johnfromcincinnati.net/news.html#fridaynightlights makes clear that Milch has not given up trying to continue the story.

So should we be focused on Milch instead of HBO? I think we need to respect Milch as an artist and our communications to him should be respectful, appreciative and encouraging. Remembering him with a holiday cards would be good. I just can't see bombarding him with a campaign of some sort would have a positive effect.

But our focus for mass appeals still needs to be on HBO. At this point I think we should be focused on the DVD's, OnDemand and finding more lost Monadistas. We want people to be able to watch the show once we find them.

I have even been considering if those of us who have the series on TiVo or VCR, etc. shouldn't start posting 10 or 15 minute clips of the show on YouTube until we get the whole series on the web. Don't know if that is a breach of some rule somewhere but it would allow people to see the whole series.

In summary, respect Milch's time and keep pressure on HBO to get the show OnDemand and on DVD.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 09:55

That makes sense, danger.

This may be an UO, but I have said I would settle for a few graphic novels to see JFC and Deadwood (and Carnivale) come to their natural conclusions. Since Milch is so notorious for last minute scripts (and high production costs), if they were done, it might prompt HBO to go ahead and do the seasons (or the movies, as it were) since the scripts would be essentially written already.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 16:23
Author: dangrsmind

I think HBO removed these posts because they included a solicitation for money, not because they were associated with JfC. I mean they just added the JfC avatars and the boards are still running. I don't see any new sort of "distancing" here personally.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 19:07

The ads have been on pause since yesterday. These are the final numbers (from 10/27 - 11/19):

Total - all 2 ad groups - 383 (total clicks) 512,239 (total impressions) $0.31 (average CPC) $120.39 (total costs) 3.0 (average position)

Thanks for the paypal instructions, Trishah. I'll get on it tomorrow, contact you, and we'll see what sort of response the new Donation button gets. The reports can be sent to you via email directly from Google Ads so you can verify the costs and progress, and then the Monadistas might have more confidence in the effort and will be willing to donate to them. I definitely think they're worth running.

ETA: I got what you meant the first time, danger. I really did. And if you accuse me of "soliciting for money" one more time, I will NOT be responsible for my actions. ;) What's weird is? Trishah's "repost" of my Google Ads post hasn't been removed.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 17:06
Author: dangrsmind

SaveJFC wrote:
What do I think...
I have even been considering if those of us who have the series on TiVo or VCR, etc. shouldn't start posting 10 or 15 minute clips of the show on YouTube until we get the whole series on the web. Don't know if that is a breach of some rule somewhere but it would allow people to see the whole series.

Posting clips would violate HBOs copyright on the program. I doubt they would enforce it, but they might. If they did the videos would be removed and the poster's YouTube account might be suspended. Legal action would be pretty unlikely, but not impossible. FWIW the potential fine for posting EACH CLIP is at least $750 and could be as much as $30,000 under U.S. copyright law.

See http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html and scroll down to the section entitled "satutory damages"

In reality very few people have been prosecuted for uploading or sharing copyright protected works and all of them have been prosecuted by the RIAA not the TV or movie industries.

But I wouldn't want to be the first one they go after either...

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 17:41

Yeah, I thought it was something like that. I just thought that since there are so many clips there anyway that a few more wouldn't hurt.

Also, let's move discussions of things other than Google ad to another thread... just to be tidy. Thanks.

Work here, Cass.

Jimmy Two Nutz

Just sent yo $50.00 for Google .... Spend it well.

chatangel

Quote:
SaveJFC wrote:
What do I think...

Please point me toward a PC/Widows Program that will allow me record and post or a tutorial... LOL be glad to post the 9 min clips of JFC (youtube max time) since I finally have the entire set of DVD thanks to our fabulous FF!
"My Father freelances in Cass' camera." John Monad

SaveJFC Admin

Chat, Windows usually comes with Windows Movie Maker which is a video program that helps you with getting clips from videos.  Look under "Programs" and see if you have it.
Work here, Cass.

SaveJFC Admin

UPDATE

Well,  the person who ran the first Google Ads does not want to be involved in doing it any more.  She did a great job of it and has given me the necessary information to run another set of ads.  If anyone has any interest in running this campaign please let me know and I'll help you get setup.   We have had a $50 donation earmarked for this purpose and it would also be an appropriate use of The Fund.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Trishah
Work here, Cass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk